In fairness to Schotty

AFJF

On at least two occassions I heard Jaws say that Sanchez had WR's starting to get seperation running down field (on one occassion he specifically said it was Braylon) but that Sanchez wasn't giving the play time to develop and checked down to his RB's instantly. Can we honestly sit here and say it's Schotty's fault that on a few plays where he wanted Sanchez to take a shot deep that Mark was over anxious and dumped it off? One big play could have made the difference in this game and I refuse to believe that every single play Schotty called was designed to be a throw inside of 10 yards.

On at least two occassions I heard Jaws say that Sanchez had WR's starting to get seperation running down field (on one occassion he specifically said it was Braylon) but that Sanchez wasn't giving the play time to develop and checked down to his RB's instantly. Can we honestly sit here and say it's Schotty's fault that on a few plays where he wanted Sanchez to take a shot deep that Mark was over anxious and dumped it off? One big play could have made the difference in this game and I refuse to believe that every single play Schotty called was designed to be a throw inside of 10 yards.

They're both horrible.

Sanchez might get better. Schottenheimer isn't going to get smarter.

But I agree, I doubt the gameplan was: Do not throw the ball to a WR unless all the CB's and Safeties have fallen down.

I don't know. They have been stressing for Sanchez to work through his check downs. Maybe he's afraid to take the shot down field as to not receive the ire of his coaches.

On one of those plays it was a designed dumpoff and Braylon was a decoy, I swear.

Also the other play I think he is talking about he had 3 ravens withing inches of him before BE got open.

While these points are valid, in particular to last night. I think the uproar has more to do with the complete body of work by Schotty, and this being game 1 of what was supposed to be a SB season. It is very obvious that despite Sanchez not letting WRs separate last night, the problems being discussed transcend the individual QB as they have been a pervasive issue that was blatant with Pennington, Favre and Clemens before Sanchez.

The true concerns are as follows:

1. We don't want to lose yet another season because we have the #1 Defense, and the #25 Offense. Especially when you consider all the talent on the offensive roster.

2. We finally have a QB that could be "the guy" and we are watching him GET WORSE each week. Ask Jason Campbell, David Carr, Alex Smith, etc. about a QB's career when the offensive coordinator they inherit at a rookie sucks. Jets fans have every right at this point worrying about whether or not Sanchez will become a bust working with Schotty.

3. We tuned in all offseason buying into the "Same Old Jets" are gone campaign, the "SuperBowl or bust campaign" and the "trash talk is our new identity" campaign... only to be kicked in the balls on opening night in our new stadium. To add salt to the wounds, the new stadium is still a point of contention because of the PSLs and the fact that it is not 100% ours and on Long Island where it belongs.

In my opinion, we have every right to be angry... and while Sanchez might not have been great. He is not to be made the scapegoat.

This about it like this... If your house falls in on your head because of a flaw in the design, you blame the architect... not the construction worker.

Schotty is the architect of a system that has major design flaws, design flaws that force Sanchez and everyone else to make errors. When they do succeed, they do it in spite of his crappy offense. The offense that got the Jets through the playoffs was not Schotty's 100% offense, it was the dumbed-down version that eliminated the unnecessary pre-snap garbage and simplified the plays.

This team has so much talent they can succeed executing very simple, basic football plays... but that is not what Schotty does. He over-complicates his offense to the point where our skills guys cannot convert plays because of their unnecessary complexity.

Case in point, if you need 1 yard. You put in your "bigs" and Shonn Greene and get your 1 yard. But not in Schotty's offense. In Schotty's offense you put 3 guys in motion, empty the backfield and then throw the ball to Darren Sharper for 6 points going the other way.

There is no way to defend Schotty.

Maybe Sanchez was too quick to check down but who is coaching him ?

And the play calling was atrocious. There were some really great situations for calling play action passes but we ran the ball again between tackles for minor gains. The OC has to go after the other teams weaknesses and we did not do that last night. There is no way to defend him. Period.

We go against a team with the best front 7 in the league and a crap secondary and we play into their strengths. Anyone remember that game against the Chiefs when we had Favre? Teams were running at will against KC that year and we almost lost because we tried to throw the ball. Schotty just won't take advantage of a weakness.

There is no way to defend Schotty.

Maybe Sanchez was too quick to check down but who is coaching him ?

And the play calling was atrocious. There were some really great situations for calling play action passes but we ran the ball again between tackles for minor gains. The OC has to go after the other teams weaknesses and we did not do that last night. There is no way to defend him. Period.

Another thing doesn't get mentioned enough is his lack of in-game adjustments. It's like he develops a game plan (and as you mentioned is flawed to begin with) and refuses to deviate from it no matter what. The only adjustments I saw last night was the benching of Greene and Smith in the wildcat. And that's not really an adjustment since he runs that as least once a game. Take some deep shots against a weakened secondary in the second half when nothing else is working. Unreal.

They're both horrible.

Sanchez might get better. Schottenheimer isn't going to get smarter.

But I agree, I doubt the gameplan was: Do not throw the ball to a WR unless all the CB's and Safeties have fallen down.

but I bet it was, "The Ravens D is tough, and this is going to be a low scoring game, so protect the ball, and use your checkdown receiver."

Watch the pre season games.. he did a ton of that in the preseason too.

While these points are valid, in particular to last night. I think the uproar has more to do with the complete body of work by Schotty, and this being game 1 of what was supposed to be a SB season. It is very obvious that despite Sanchez not letting WRs separate last night, the problems being discussed transcend the individual QB as they have been a pervasive issue that was blatant with Pennington, Favre and Clemens before Sanchez.

The true concerns are as follows:

1. We don't want to lose yet another season because we have the #1 Defense, and the #25 Offense. Especially when you consider all the talent on the offensive roster.

2. We finally have a QB that could be "the guy" and we are watching him GET WORSE each week. Ask Jason Campbell, David Carr, Alex Smith, etc. about a QB's career when the offensive coordinator they inherit at a rookie sucks. Jets fans have every right at this point worrying about whether or not Sanchez will become a bust working with Schotty.

3. We tuned in all offseason buying into the "Same Old Jets" are gone campaign, the "SuperBowl or bust campaign" and the "trash talk is our new identity" campaign... only to be kicked in the balls on opening night in our new stadium. To add salt to the wounds, the new stadium is still a point of contention because of the PSLs and the fact that it is not 100% ours and on Long Island where it belongs.

In my opinion, we have every right to be angry... and while Sanchez might not have been great. He is not to be made the scapegoat.

This about it like this... If your house falls in on your head because of a flaw in the design, you blame the architect... not the construction worker.

Schotty is the architect of a system that has major design flaws, design flaws that force Sanchez and everyone else to make errors. When they do succeed, they do it in spite of his crappy offense. The offense that got the Jets through the playoffs was not Schotty's 100% offense, it was the dumbed-down version that eliminated the unnecessary pre-snap garbage and simplified the plays.

This team has so much talent they can succeed executing very simple, basic football plays... but that is not what Schotty does. He over-complicates his offense to the point where our skills guys cannot convert plays because of their unnecessary complexity.

Case in point, if you need 1 yard. You put in your "bigs" and Shonn Greene and get your 1 yard. But not in Schotty's offense. In Schotty's offense you put 3 guys in motion, empty the backfield and then throw the ball to Darren Sharper for 6 points going the other way.

Wow couldn't have said it better great post

but I bet it was, "The Ravens D is tough, and this is going to be a low scoring game, so protect the ball, and use your checkdown receiver."

Watch the pre season games.. he did a ton of that in the preseason too.

Well at least he got over locking onto his primary receiver. Now Sanchez doesn't look at him at all.

Another thing doesn't get mentioned enough is his lack of in-game adjustments. It's like he develops a game plan (and as you mentioned is flawed to begin with) and refuses to deviate from it no matter what. The only adjustments I saw last night was the benching of Greene and Smith in the wildcat. And that's not really an adjustment since he runs that as least once a game. Take some deep shots against a weakened secondary in the second half when nothing else is working. Unreal.

You know most offenses have the first 15 plays of the game mapped out. And after that plays get called according to what the situation is and what the defense is doing.

For Schotty i think he has the first 60 plays mapped out. And what happens once all the 60 plays have been called out. Well we will never know b/c we never seem to get past 60.

It was so freaking frustrating to watch out offense and over high pick QB regressing right before our eyes.

You know most offenses have the first 15 plays of the game mapped out. And after that plays get called according to what the situation is and what the defense is doing.

For Schotty i think he has the first 60 plays mapped out. And what happens once all the 60 plays have been called out. Well we will never know b/c we never seem to get past 60.

It was so freaking frustrating to watch out offense and over high pick QB regressing right before our eyes.

This was the exact problem we had with Mangini... absolutely NO effective in-game adjustments, and absolutely NO flexibility to exploit the opponents weaknesses. I said it back then, Schotty is the offensive version of Mangini... he wants to do it his way, and forces it... rather than reacting and being opportunistic with in-game situations, it is forced, and thus predictable... not to mention flawed to begin with.

This was the exact problem we had with Mangini... absolutely NO effective in-game adjustments, and absolutely NO flexibility to exploit the opponents weaknesses. I said it back then, Schotty is the offensive version of Mangini... he wants to do it his way, and forces it... rather than reacting and being opportunistic with in-game situations, it is forced, and thus predictable... not to mention flawed to begin with.

There are no freaking in game adjustments in our play calling.

Added to what i find frustrating about yesterdays game is going in everyone knew that Baltimore's secondary was pretty thin. And we also knew the refs for this game were quick to call pass interference penalties. And still we had no plan to attack that aspect of the game. We had one throw for Cotchery outside the numbers earlier in the game which was not completed. But besides that nothing. Which tells me our game plan was weak to begin with.

Archived