Mark Sanchez on Mondays game...

SenorGato

"Don't read into it too much. It was a bad game, poor execution, too many penalties, and we had a couple plays downfield that got called back and didn't work out. So we'll throw the ball plenty, run the ball plenty, and we'll be just fine."

It's in today's Star Ledger and I assume it shows up in the NY papers twisted up in one form or another.

Of course, this isn't as credible as Rex Ryan saying it...and I'm sure there's still tons and tons of reasons to actually buy the "zomg he's REGRESSED" garbage that's been here...but look guys a ray of sunshine! It's peaking through! I sees it I tells ya!

Other interesting quotes:

As far as being conservative in the play-calling, Sanchez said that was a function of the type of game they were in against the Ravens’ rugged defense.

“A lot of that’s a ‘feel’ thing for an offensive coordinator,” Sanchez said. “When we’re rolling, it’s easy to call shots and throw the ball down the field. When we’re not, and it’s a tight game, and we’re debating about going for it fourth-and-1, then let’s be smart. Take the points. That was the feel of the game. It’s just the ebb and flow, and it changes every week.”

It will need to, since nine points won’t win very many games in the NFL.

“We just had penalties, breakdowns that just didn’t help us; it hurt us so bad,” Sanchez said. “And you can’t expect to win like that. We’ll have games where we throw for 300 yards. I know it. I’m confident of that. And we’ll have games where we rush for 250. And that’s fine.”

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/09/despite_criticisms_from_joe_na.html

He's a crazy for suggesting anything less than certain doom and completely ineptitude from his coordinator, but society was constructed around crazy people anyway...So maybe it's a good thing.

Nice article...I found it pretty interesting:

"I think we just wanted to be smart," Sanchez told The Post. "We hit a long pass to Dustin, and we [are flagged for an illegal shift]. It's like, 'There's the vertical passing game for you!'

"We just shot ourselves in the foot. I don't think it had anything to do with the play-calling. I know Schotty wants a couple of plays back, like you do every game, but we all had our share in this loss."

Sanchez, however, did nothing to dispute Namath's other Twitter complaint -- that the Jets lacked discipline while being flagged a whopping 14 times for 125 yards.

"The Jets abnormal amount of penalties in this game can be attributed to a disappointing lack of discipline," Namath tweeted during the game.

Namath later tweeted that, while the conservative play-calling falls on the coaches, "the poor execution doesn't."

Though he was not going to argue with Namath on that point, Sanchez doesn't feel the sloppy play is systemic.

"I think we played undisciplined football," Sanchez said. "I do think guys know better. We practice at it. We work at those fine details of the game. We didn't execute [Monday]. It was just a sloppy performance, and I don't think anybody would argue that. We lost by one point and played pretty poorly."

Namath needs to stfu...Why does this guy from 40 years ago have any say in anything now anyway? I respect what the guy did and all but holy crap...That he has to be addressed by the team once in a while is ridiculous.

I hope in 2010 the balls the Jets have been working on growing finally drop.

Please note that the bold Namath part is correct.

The line above the bold part is correct too. The number of penalties is a sign of lack of discipline. Namath isn't saying anything different than what everybody else who saw the game is saying. Be it your average Jet fan, fan of the other 31 teams, ESPN, NFLN, or other press. He gets more attention for his comments because of what he says but nothing he said is controversial or not unbelievably obvious.

The line above the bold part is correct too. The number of penalties is a sign of lack of discipline. Namath isn't saying anything different than what everybody else who saw the game is saying. Be it your average Jet fan, fan of the other 31 teams, ESPN, NFLN, or other press. He gets more attention for his comments because of what he says but nothing he said is controversial or not unbelievably obvious.

True...and the penalties were just f'ng ridiculous. Right after I said "D'Brick looks ready to be an All Pro this year"...f*ckin penalty on D'Brick. Rumor has it that Schotty was calling for them...He traded in his "INT playbook" for a brand new "Penalty playbook"...It's got some top of the line ways to induce a penalty from the caller's team.

It's in today's Star Ledger and I assume it shows up in the NY papers twisted up in one form or another.

Of course, this isn't as credible as Rex Ryan saying it...and I'm sure there's still tons and tons of reasons to actually buy the "zomg he's REGRESSED" garbage that's been here...but look guys a ray of sunshine! It's peaking through! I sees it I tells ya!

Other interesting quotes:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/09/despite_criticisms_from_joe_na.html

He's a crazy for suggesting anything less than certain doom and completely ineptitude from his coordinator, but society was constructed around crazy people anyway...So maybe it's a good thing.

This regression stuff is based on the false notion that there was tangible progession because he was successful in the playoffs passing against 9 men in the box and defenses barely interested in what he was doing..

Yeah, it was good that he didn't choke, but it didn't really speak to any kind of sustained improvement.

I still say it's right to be concerned cause he's never really been a good QB but on monday he looked like a bad QB who lacked confidence.. which is deadly..

CHad Johnson just tweeted this...so hopefully things can only get better

Watch Ravens film during lunch, #realtalk, played them 10 years now and their defensive scheme is still confusing n hard to figure out! WTF

23 minutes ago via twidroid

The Ravens do a lot of stuff on defense. That's the best defense the Jets will see all season.

How about Captain Checkdown throw the ball more than 10 yards?

Analysts on ESPn were saying Wrs were open all night, he was just scared.

I don't know what announcers you were listening to but I what heard Jaws say that he wasn't allowing plays to develop, not that there were open receivers downfield. Jaw's statement was backed up for me by three people I know who were at the game who all said there was rarely anyone open downfield, the Jets' postgame interviews in which both Rex and Sanchez said the gameplan was to not throw deep too often and the Ravens' post game interviews in which they said their top priority was neutralizing Braylon Edwards as he was the only real deep threat for Sanchez so he constantly drew double and triple coverage.

I don't know what announcers you were listening to but I what heard Jaws say that he wasn't allowing plays to develop, not that there were open receivers downfield. Jaw's statement was backed up for me by three people I know who were at the game who all said there was rarely anyone open downfield, the Jets' postgame interviews in which both Rex and Sanchez said the gameplan was to not throw deep too often and the Ravens' post game interviews in which they said their top priority was neutralizing Braylon Edwards as he was the only real deep threat for Sanchez so he constantly drew double and triple coverage.

Was listening to Merril Hodge this morning oN First Take, he said WRs were open all night Sanchez was just looking to check the ball down on every snap.

That is correct, there was never time for anyone to get open.

Obviously you hope Sanchez can hang in there but to be fair most of his 5 step drops ended with someone in his face FAST...

Passblocking is a big issue

That is correct, there was never time for anyone to get open.

Obviously you hope Sanchez can hang in there but to be fair most of his 5 step drops ended with someone in his face FAST...

Passblocking is a big issue

I think Football Outsiders came out a couple years ago and said that pass protection depends heavily on QB play. Guys like Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco take sacks because they look downfield and have the size and raw power to stay alive and let those plays devleop. Guys like Manning, Brady, and Rivers have such excellent pocket awareness that they rarely take sacks...

The Ravens D just did what they do and made a QBs day a living hell. They do this to everyone. They'll continue doing it to everyone.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d81a8e6e4/Playbook-AFC-East-QBs

NFLN analyzes Sanchez using aerial footage showing the whole field. Jet WRs were getting open but Sanchez wasn't throwing to them.

the pressure go to him, lets be honest

the ravens front 7 "kerry collins'd" him

I remember several occasions he checked it down with no pressure on him, just phantom pressure in his mind

another thing, he really sucks at extending plays or eluding defenders

he can turtle, that's about it

hey, a good turtle and a punt is better than a sack/fumble, but the kid is just tight out there

it's a shame, he was a young buck full of piss and vinegar when he got here

In a game like that, you go for the 'guaranteed' points every time.

I disagree with that for two reasons. One, because it only put us up by 6 points. If we score a touchdown there, we have a two score lead of 10 points. Two because it was so close; if it was much farther I would agree, but at the 10 yard line I think you have to go for it with just one yard to go. I don't think morale can work against you there either, even if you fail; they're pinned deep and going against our defense. But if you make it, it's a huge turn in morale; which against that defense could be a big thing.

I'm going to save and bookmark this thread. And if Sanchez becomes a star 2 years from now I want every one of you off of the bandwagon and I better not see you pretend you like the guy and always knew he was good. I have no problem with people having an opinion, but I've been on this site for years and I see people that loved Chad Pennington, Herm, Mangini and these other fools and swore up and down how great they were in the face of clear evidence then turn around and pretend they always knew those guys were no good.

Irish Jet was the big obvious flip flopper and he has been called on it. But nobody takes him seriously anyway. SenorGato and DLJ will be the next two, I just want everyone to remember these two handles and these two posters. If we are all around on here 2 years from now, watch them pretend to be huge fans of Sanchez.

I'm going to save and bookmark this thread. And if Sanchez becomes a star 2 years from now I want every one of you off of the bandwagon and I better not see you pretend you like the guy and always knew he was good. I have no problem with people having an opinion, but I've been on this site for years and I see people that loved Chad Pennington, Herm, Mangini and these other fools and swore up and down how great they were in the face of clear evidence then turn around and pretend they always knew those guys were no good.

Irish Jet was the big obvious flip flopper and he has been called on it. But nobody takes him seriously anyway. SenorGato and DLJ will be the next two, I just want everyone to remember these two handles and these two posters. If we are all around on here 2 years from now, watch them pretend to be huge fans of Sanchez.

I'm disappointed that I don't go on your revenge list. I'm doing the best I can.

People forget that Sanchez hit a beautiful downfield play that probably would have won the game had it not been negated by a stupid penalty.

I've said it over and over, as retarded as Schotty is, that was the RIGHT way to play that game, it was just executed horribly. Sure I would have liked a few shots downfield, but the fact that it was still a one point game even with all the penalties shows we easily could have won it.

That penalty on Wilson, the penalty on Edwards and that mind**** from Keller. Any of those don't happen and I think we win the game, or in the case of the Keller mistake I think we would have at least got a chance.

I <3 Sanchez.

I agree with you though, although I never done anything close to what you're saying. lol

Lol I've been following Sanchez since his freshmen year at USC. He was an extremely hyped recruit there...called their best QB talent since Palmer when he went there. I'm a fan of the guy. That doesn't mean I worship the ground he walks on.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying he's played some really sh*tty football during his first 17 regular season games. I'm sure it's something he'd acknowledge too if we were allowed to interview him. That does not mean I think he's a bad long term QB. That does not mean I think he will suck forever. Do not put words in my mouth just because I refuse to blame our offenses "problems" on the guy it "should" be blamed on.

ohh, so we need to take official positions now?

Ok.. Sanchez has been a bad NFL QB thus far, but has flashed ability. I think Rex currently has way to much pressure on him and is handling him very poorly. I'm concerned he doesn't recover.

I do believe he's got what it takes, but needs to be allowed to develop like Eli did. All this attention and his own celebrity are going to make that difficult.

Nice article...I found it pretty interesting:

Namath needs to stfu...Why does this guy from 40 years ago have any say in anything now anyway? I respect what the guy did and all but holy crap...That he has to be addressed by the team once in a while is ridiculous.

I hope in 2010 the balls the Jets have been working on growing finally drop.

So, Namath, being a Jets fan, shouldn't post his opinion in a public forum? Max, please take this site off-line. JN needs to STFU. Thanks in advance.

People forget that Sanchez hit a beautiful downfield play that probably would have won the game had it not been negated by a stupid penalty.

Nobody's forgetting the play. Even if he completes it and the Jets win--he throws for under 100 yds and converts one third down all day. There is nothing positive about his performance. Nothing. If Brady, Manning, or Brees ever had a day like Mark's... :lol: nevermind. Impossible.

Nobody's forgetting the play. Even if he completes it and the Jets win--he throws for under 100 yds and converts one third down all day. There is nothing positive about his performance. Nothing. If Brady, Manning, or Brees ever had a day like Mark's... :lol: nevermind. Impossible.

A win isn't a positive?

That was a gameplan for Baltimore knowing that it would be a close game where mistakes/turnovers, of which Sanchez made so many last season would kill us. Mistakes did kill us, they were just through penalties.

The gameplan was perfect and we ****ed it up with TERRIBLE execution and bush league mistakes.

A win isn't a positive?

That was a gameplan for Baltimore knowing that it would be a close game where mistakes/turnovers, of which Sanchez made so many last season would kill us. Mistakes did kill us, they were just through penalties.

The gameplan was perfect and we ****ed it up with TERRIBLE execution and bush league mistakes.

A win is positive, yes. His play--win or lose, cannot be considered positive. He played poorly no matter what the score. We lost because of the QB play. If we had won, it would have been in spite of his performance, not because of it.

Archived