Gholston: "Use PlayerProtect service next time"

Mandarinia

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/09/jets_vernon_gholston_says_hell.html

Jets' Vernon Gholston says he'll use PlayerProtect service next time

Vernon Gholston was a passenger in Braylon Edwards' car early Tuesday morning, when his Jets teammate was pulled over and arrested for driving while intoxicated.

Gholston, a third-year defensive end with the Jets, said he wished he could take back that night -- and in the future, said he'll call the PlayerProtect driving service the Jets provide confidentially and free of charge to their players.

"That was a mistake we made," Gholston said. "Would we go back and change it? Yeah. But moving forward, I'll be calling."

Gholston didn't speak on specifics of the night, because a legal case is pending. But he did say he did not think Edwards was impaired. Gholston and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who were both riding with Edwards, called a cab to get home after Edwards was arrested.

Gholston said he met with coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who asked for details of the night and let him know they were not pleased with what went on.

He expressed regret and said he put the PlayerProtect number in his phone.

"We have a lot of respect for our owner; we always want to put him in a great position," Gholston said. "That being said, a lot of things we do off the field come back on the organization."

C Nick Mangold (shoulder), T Wayne Hunter (shin), LB Calvin Pace (foot) and CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring) did not practice today. Coach Rex Ryan said he expects Mangold, who has an AC joint sprain in his shoulder, to play against Miami. Ryan said he hopes Hunter will play, but isn't sure. If he is out, rookie Vlad Ducasse -- who has been working at guard and tackle -- will be active for the first time this season.

LB Jason Taylor (elbow) was limited but is expected to play. "He looks pretty good to me," Ryan said. Revis and Pace are out

For the Dolphins, G John Jerry (illness) and DE Jared Odrick (ankle) did not participate in practice. LB Channing Crowder (groin) was limited.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is still waiting to hear how long Braylon Edwards will be benched Sunday night, but doesn't think there will be a major impact.

"We try not to overthink things," he said. "(It will not) really (affect us) too much. There might be some things we adjust and maybe hold off and look to run later, but for the most part, we'll just go about our business."

The Jets waived tackle Patrick Brown. They now have a vacant roster spot, possibly to bring up WR Pat Turner from the practice squad.

Well, on the positive side, even though Braylon is a dope he seems to have built team camaraderie on the Jets so it's more likely that he'll sign for a hometown discount. Although with his performances for the most part I don't know how much of a discount we need. His best game that I can remember in a long time is the 45 yards 1 TD game he managed last week and people are acting like those are pro bowl numbers. Miles Austin gets that in like a quarter.

Gholston sounds like a smart chap.

hes not dumb. Dbrick is also known to be pretty smart. i guess brains aren't the same as judgment... but still this doesn't seem like an open and shut case. he didn't wrap his car around a pole Johnny Abe style. the dude got pulled over for tint?

Dustin Keller had an interesting comment on ESPN1050 when asked if the players are aware of Player Protect. He said that players know about it, but won't use it because they know that management will find out about it and use it against them down the road. Pretty telling comment, IMO.

I very much like the way Vernon said WE in all of his statements. Shows good character on his part but also shows that B.E. is seen as family by some pretty solid citizen team mates. Another indication that Edwards, although still showing leopard spots, has evolved a bit from the Rhodes caliber dick head he was when he arrived.

Dustin Keller had an interesting comment on ESPN1050 when asked if the players are aware of Player Protect. He said that players know about it, but won't use it because they know that management will find out about it and use it against them down the road. Pretty telling comment, IMO.

Woody Johnson pays for it and he said he does not want to know who's using it, and that he'd get a new service if they ever told him.

I'm sure you'll find no value in that, but he did say it.

Ok, so if they are worried about it just call a cab. I mean, they're millionaires, right?

I had told Kleck when the story broke that this is the reason they didn't call the service. Unfortunately it makes sense.

Your vendetta is out of control. Woody goes out of his way to provide this service where other teams are not, and why does he do it? So that he can figure out whether some of his players have been drinking? Well you don't have to be drunk to use the service. The organization contradicts this statement saying that the service is confidential.

So either it exists to protect players and get them out of potentially dangerous situations OR, it exists to figure out whether they may have ended up in a situation where they didn't have a car, or had a drink too many to drive. Which makes more sense????

And if you still believe the latter, let's look at it this way: what makes more sense for Edwards to do here, A., admit that he was drinking in a club? Or, B., risk driving drunk and get arrested? Which of these two things do you think the team frowns on more???

Definitely interesting comments. And I know management says it's confidential, but there is ways for them to find out since they're paying for it.

I bet the Jets gets a report of how many players use it (so they know how they're money is spent). They can figure out from there who is taking it.

Definitely interesting comments. And I know management says it's confidential, but there is ways for them to find out since they're paying for it.

I bet the Jets gets a report of how many players use it (so they know how they're money is spent). They can figure out from there who is taking it.

Does it even matter? If players are that concerned about management knowing about their partying ways, then they can reach into their heavily-lined pockets and spring for a limo.

Archived