New York Knicks' Season Opener Game Thread...and on

BroadwayJoe12

What Seed Will the Knicks Get?? (I say 6th)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What Seed Will The Knicks Get?

new_york_knicks_logo.gif vs toronto_raptors_logo.gif

The New York Knicks have almost finally purged their roster of all things that have been touched by Isiah Thomas, all that is remaining is a very solid Wilson Chandler and the bloated expiring contract of Eddy Curry.

The Knicks will roll out a brand-new roster with only one holdover from last years' starting five, Danillo Gallinari who will be at the 3 spot. Headlined by a legitimate superstar in Amare Stoudemire at the PF position and a solid gritty PG in Raymond Felton. The starting five is rounded out by two rookies in second round swingman Landry Fields and Russian sensation Timofey Mozgov, at SG and C respectively. Their bench will be well rounded out with Toney Douglas, Wilson Chandler, Anthony Randolph (who is hurt sitting out this game with an ankle sprain), Anthony Routins, Bill Walker and Ronnie Turiaf. It'll definitely be interesting to see what type of rotation D'Antoni will close the game with, but a backcourt of Felton and TD23 has looked extremely competitive in the preseason.

The Raptors aren't a pushover at home and if the Knicks want to make the playoffs these are the types of games that they need to beat. The keys to this game will be containing Bargnani, Mozgov is not used to guarding guys who can shoot out on the perimeter than take it to the hole; that will be a matchup to key in on. Additionally, at home, it will be big to to keep Derozan and Amir Johnson from getting easy breaks and big dunks and keeping the crowd out.

The knicks should look to get a big win on the road as their upcoming schedule is pretty brutal. Here's to us knicks' fans finally getting a shot at the playoffs for the first time in a decade!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pissed about Randolph when I read it this morning, He's out 1-2 weeks. I like that Fields is getting the start, it gives Stat the lane all to himself and the opportunity to start things off with a bang.

I just read an interview where he was quoted as saying he'd miss a week at most, but i guess we'll see. It's a bummer considering it was the same ankle that was hurt last year, but considering what could have happened it's nothing too big..sprained ankles happen. Regardless, i guess this is gonna force Will to be the backup PF and i'm guessing we're gonna see more of Roger Mason and Andy Rautins than we'd probably want to.

The only thing that really concerned me when watching preseason is that when our shot isn't falling, who's gonna be able to create?? STAT has shown the ability and TD can score in bunches as he showed this preseason, but unless Gallo or Chandler become more consistent, that's going to be a problem for us all season. (if we could have the gallo that played pissed and went back and forth with melo last season, we'll be in good shape).

The only thing that really concerned me when watching preseason is that when our shot isn't falling, who's gonna be able to create?? STAT has shown the ability and TD can score in bunches as he showed this preseason, but unless Gallo or Chandler become more consistent, that's going to be a problem for us all season. (if we could have the gallo that played pissed and went back and forth with melo last season, we'll be in good shape).

Randolph. I don't think there are many players in the league at his size who can create shots for themselves like he can. Golden State is one of those teams that rarely gets witnessed out on this end of the country, and I think most people aren't familiar with how amazing it is to watch him get shots off at will when he's firing on all cylinders (which isn't consistently, but still...) I think Gallo might be better suited as a sixth man this season, but that's not a luxury right now, especially with him out. They do have some scorers on the bench (Douglas and especially Walker, who can really light it up when he's on). The good news is that if they're off from the perimeter, at least Felton can push the floor off the glass, something Duhon was just awful at.

- The Knicks had 10 blocks tonight. 10. Does anyone remember the last time that happened? Had to have been in the 90's. They've been one of the worst blocking teams in the league for at least 11-12 years.

- Fields is fearless. Looked great given the circumstances. He was blanketing DeRozan and fighting off screens left and right all night. He's a high-intensity player and always up to stuff on both ends of the floor. I like that.

- Felton is really something else when he's pushing the ball. He's so fast and that power drive where he switches hands is almost unstoppable. I wish he'd use it more.

- Douglas has developed a nasty hesitation dribble. It's pretty awesome to see when he uses it.

- Mozgov is an effing corpse. He can't board, can't move his hips at all, and is flat-out clueless. What a project he is. He has no business starting at all. They're so much better defensively when Turiaf takes over or Chandler slides into the 4. Randolph can't come back quick enough. Turiaf though, 4 blocks in 21 minutes is no joke. I don't care who you're playing.

- Stat was off tonight for a good chunk. Evans was giving him fits, but he does that to everybody and his game is tailor-made for Amare's. . He really turned it up down the stretch though, (like he did against NJ last week), and that's really all that counts. The 4th quarter hit and he just straight-up went to work. What a job he did in the last 8 minutes driving and protecting the rim. It's been a long time since they've had a closer and it's definitely a breath of fresh air.

- I think the rebounding problems early on were a matter of timing. They stepped it up once Chandler and Ama're got their spacing right.

- Chandler as a sixth man was awesome tonight. They played him at both forward positions and he was fantastic, defensively especially on the baseline. Keep him right at that spot and don't change a thing Mike. What a player he's turning into. He was awesome in pinning Barbosa at the end. MVP of the game tonight, no question.

- Overall I think this was a great win. They squandered a huge lead, but kept their composure and fought them off for the entire game. They outrebounded, outhustled, had 6 players in double-digit points, and got better as the game went on. Toronto is one of the toughest places to play in the league and they fought through the fact that they didn't have an answer for Bargnani almost all night. Like the Jets, this is the type of game that the Knicks always lose, and this squad just looked tougher and had more fight to it. Toronto isn't a great team, but they're not devoid of any talent either. Should be a fun season and Friday night's game against Boston should tell a ton about where they stand as a team. Go Knicks.

Great write up, Rutgers. You hit all the points.

I love Chandler, but my only criticism is that he shouldn't be the one taking that critical shot at the end which led to Toronto taking the 3 and missing (because of Chandler's great defense) in the ensuing possession.

I don't care if Amare is triple teamed there. Give him the ball every possession in the last 2 minutes of a tight game. I'll live and die with Amare. He's making $100 million for a reason.

Great write up, Rutgers. You hit all the points.

I love Chandler, but my only criticism is that he shouldn't be the one taking that critical shot at the end which led to Toronto taking the 3 and missing (because of Chandler's great defense) in the ensuing possession.

I don't care if Amare is triple teamed there. Give him the ball every possession in the last 2 minutes of a tight game. I'll live and die with Amare. He's making $100 million for a reason.

It depends, in this offense that decision is going to go to Felton most of the time. They ran a pick and roll and that pass was his choice. Amare set a high screen and started to slip behind Bargnani, and he was actually open for a split second off the roll, but Barbosa bit hard and Chandler was so wide open at the line with nobody in front of him. IMO it was the right pass to make.

I agree to an extent, but from his point of view if your best shooter on the night has a clear 3 feet in front of him, you have to take that option rather than risk putting it into traffic.

JMO

Hell of a write up RJF, definitely agree with everything said. Season opener for the opposing team on the road, that's a great win for us.

I'll just add a few of the things that I really liked. I loved Chandler coming off the bench as he's so versatile and can cover practically every position, which is unique to have. He needs to stop shooting contested jump shots though, as that's not his game. Really filled up the state sheet, love his game if he stays consistent.

Amare down the stretch was something we have desperately need these last how many years. I can't count how many times I've said, if only we had a closer to finish off the games we'd have won that one. Well, now we have it.

Fields is slowly becoming one of my favorite players, he does a little of everything and does it all well...pretty surprised by his defense too. Haha a couple times I caught myself mixing up Fields and Gallo, not sure if anyone else did that.

Also, how great was it to just not see Duhon out there??

10 Blocks?? Turiaf played a hell of a game and you knew his preseason wasn't indicative of his play, as he's strictly an emotional player who feeds off the energy of the game and that's pretty hard to do in the preseason. I'll take those 4 blocks all day long, not to mention a few surprising offensive moves in the paint that he showed.

Really would like to see 'Buke come back healthy. From the little i've seen and heard of him, he's a great on-ball defender and can knock down the open shot.

I know Boston played a tough, emotional game against miami last night, but if JJ Hickson, whom i do like a lot, can go off on the Cs for 21 and 6, than Amare should have a field day. Will also love to see Felton and TD cover Rondo, as watching duhon cover him was something i had nightmares about.

10 Blocks?? Turiaf played a hell of a game and you knew his preseason wasn't indicative of his play, as he's strictly an emotional player who feeds off the energy of the game and that's pretty hard to do in the preseason. I'll take those 4 blocks all day long, not to mention a few surprising offensive moves in the paint that he showed.

My only concern is his legs. He's pretty slow in transition. But I do think he's made for playing in the Garden. Been a while since the Knicks could attribute a win to good defense.

new_york_knicks_logo.gif vs. boston_celtics_logo.gif

Big Road game against the Celtics.

Celtics are coming off a beat down at the hands of the Cavs, so they will be looking for some revenge against our Knicks. There will be a lot of interesting matchups at just about every position.

Shaq v Mozgov - Will be interesting to see how Mozzy can go up against the big shamrock should he stay out of foul trouble. We will definitely be able to push the floor with mozzy, so long as he isn't on the bench. He's gotta stop picking up stupid fouls away from the basket that don't mean anything, save them for knocking someone on their a$$ when they are going to the rim.

KG v Amare - Amare is the younger superstar here and has averaged about 23 and 7 with a block against boston in twelve games against them in his career. After seeing what Hickson did to the celtics this week, I see no reason Amare shouldn't be able to repeat these types of numbers. Minus his "Cripple double" 9 TO performance the other night; he really needs to be more aware of the double team and find the open man.

Jesus Shuttlesworth v Fields - I see this being a huge matchup. How is the rook gonna deal running around and chasing ray ray all over the court?? D'an says he's the most fit guy on the team and can run for days, so this should be huge. I have a feeling he's gonna be on the floor a few times tonight after getting blindsided by some of those rough picks the Cs set.

Rondo v Felton/TD - Rondo is the key that makes this team go, if we can stop him from "dishing and swishing," we should be able to stay in this game.

We're gonna need to come out hard and maintain it, hopefully can push the pace on the team of vets.

We're going to get murdered down low. If Toronto could force turnovers in the post like they did...yeesh. Keys to this game are Douglas and Felton. They should be able to outmuscle Rondo on the perimeter and get their shots off. Tough 4-game stretch beginning tonight for sure. If we can emerge 3-2 from it I'll be doing backflps.

I hope Rondo left you guys some lube to go with his 24 assists and triple double todayh

The worst franchise in the NBA over the last decade just came into your house and lost by 4 against your 5 super star starters (4 sure fire hall of famers and Rondo). The Knicks should have won that game. I wouldn't be talking sh*t if I was you...

This team is going to be a good deal better than people give them credit for once Randolph is healthy. I can see them ending up as high as a fifth seed but most likely in the 6-7 range. They have a lot of nice pieces.

Gallinari looks, how do you say...awful. Yup, he looks awful. If he sinks just a couple tonight, they win. But the I think the one thing to take from this game (or the past two, for that matter) is that anyone who didn't think Ama're couldn't be the guy here looks like they were pretty wrong. Anyone missing David Lee right now? Seriously?. Dumbest ******* comparison ever.

The worst franchise in the NBA over the last decade just came into your house and lost by 4 against your 5 super star starters (4 sure fire hall of famers and Rondo). The Knicks should have won that game. I wouldn't be talking sh*t if I was you...

oh it's the "Should have" police ;)

1-it's October...I'm not worried one bit

2-what was the old Herm quote again? You play to win the ____?

I hope Rondo left you guys some lube to go with his 24 assists and triple double todayh

Please, Rondo is a hell of a player, but half those assists come from him passing up wide open layups and bunnies, he's absolutely terrified to take a shot. I'm not putting down what a great player he is, as he's a top 3 pg, but you're acting like he put up 30 pts and 15 on us or something.

Not to mention, we came into your house after only playing two regular season games against four players who've spent the last 3 years together, after you were spanked by the cavs and only losing by 4 is not what i would grab lube for. Let's just wait until you come to our garden ;)

Should have.

What do you give up for him though?

I don't see how Chandler wouldn't be the centerpiece of a deal at this point. Melo not wanting to be a Net and Chandler playing the way he has been has actually given the Knicks some leverage IMO. They can probably hang on to Randolph now. Chandler, a 1st via 3rd party, and someone else. Fields or Douglas probably. No chance they're interested in Gallo as of now.

new_york_knicks_logo.gif vs orlando_magic_logo.gif

The 1-2 Knicks will take on the 1-1 Orlando Magic tonight at The Garden. A big piece of information was laid out in the post this morning, Randolph will make his first start after reported to miss the first two weeks of the season. The 21 year old PF/C was joking around after making a full-practice the other day about missing the two weeks; "That's for them older vets," Randolph said with a laugh after practice. "I'm still young, so I bounce back more quickly."

I think all this nonsense about Mike not liking to play the rooks or young guys has gone out the window with Fields and Mozgov and his praise for Randolph. "Somewhere, somehow, I've got to play him," D'Antoni said. "We'll figure it out. It's something I've got to look at and see how I can get him in there because I do want to get him in there."

I'm very eager to see how Mozzy plays against an elite big man in D12 and see if he can stay out of foul trouble long enough to make a tangible impact. However, I don't really think this matchup is going to be the key to the game. Howard can and most likely will get his, but if the rest of the team shoots poorly, like their 30.4% against the heat the other night, they will look like a mid-level team. The unfortunate thing is, I don't think carter, lewis and the rest of the team can play as poorly as they did two nights in a row.

The struggles that the magic had the last game mirror the struggles that our Knicks have had the last couple games as well. Teams have been lagging off our perimeter players, because our guys, most noticeably Gallo, are just flat out not making their open shots. This is allowing them to clog the lane and double up Amare, which is absolutely destroying the pick n roll, because there's seemingly about 4 guys within 12 feet of the basket at all times. The knicks were beat with an effin zone, that is something that we should be able to murder, but when our zone-buster Gallo is clanging the rim like it's his job, it completely destroys our spacing and makes it so much harder for everyone else.

Hopefully Gallo and the boys can start making their outside shots, so as we can get back to the pick n roll and inside-outside game that will get us to the playoffs.

Expect Marcin Gortat to get a lot of burn if Amare is going off on Lewis. Ooh and how could i forget, Duhon makes his return to the garden tonight...thank jeebus it's as a magic and not a knick.

In all honesty, we're catching the magic the same way we caught the celtics, after they were emberassed, which doesn't bode well for us. As long as we stay competitive all the way to the end, I'll be happy. We've played 3 of the conference finalists the last few weeks and have had a chance to win every game; if we start hitting our open shots and free throws than we can steal this one. Our rebounding has actually been a lot better than I've expected, Fields and Chandler have been doing a great job.

Archived