Guys who need to be replaced next season.

Lupz27

I have made a list of guys I would like to be replaced, mostly because of high price tag that is not giving the production at the cost.

Mark Brunnell 2010 salary 1m, 2011 1.3m (if cut savings of 1.3 mill)

Cromartie, 2010 salary 1.7m 2011 0

Ellis (mostly cause of age and price tag) 2010 3.3, 2011 0

GHOLSTON 2010 5.4m 2011 6.2m (if cut cap savings of 400k) that sucks

Pace 2010 7m 2011 7.1m (if cut -1.9 mill) so he is not getting cut

TRich (gonna be his decsion to retire) 2010 527k 2011 0

Taylor 2010 1.75 mill 2011 2.275mill (if cut saves 2.275 mill

Brian Thomas 2010 4.85 mill 2011 3.7 mill (if cut saves 3.7 mill)

LT 2010 1.9 mill 2011 3.3 mill (if cut saves 2.4 mill)

Woody 2010 5.6 mill 2011 4.2 mill (if cut saves 3.2 mill)

Jenkins (face it he just cant stay healthy and wastes salary cap space) 2010 3.9 mill 2011 6.4 mill (if cut saves 4.6 mill)

Total 2010 salarys 36.9 mill

Projected 2011 salarys of players under contract 34.5 mill

If all cut except Gholston and Pace cause its not worth it. Savings of 22.975 mill, that sounds like enough to get BE, Holmes, and Harris, then we would need to do a lot of salary restructure to fill out a very good team.

Do you guys think getting rid of these guys would free up enough money to sign BE, Holmes, Harris, a monster pass rusher, and a play making Safety, and still fill out the rest of the roster?

If you get rid of Pace and Thomas we lose our two OLBs what the hell do you expect to do without them?

Replace them duh, but if you read through the edited version we keep Pace cause he would cost us against the cap to cut him, I am 100% positive Thomas will be cut, he might be re-signed back at a lower number, but def will be cut cause his whole salary would come off the books.

Mark Brunnell

Cromartie

Not going anywhere

Ellis (mostly cause of age and price tag)

I think they make an attempt to bring him back

GHOLSTON

Gone, but will only save 401,666 off of the cap if there is one.

Pace

If we cut him it will cost us an additional 2 million off of the cap in addition to what we would be paying him if he were on the team. So he's probably going to be around for at least another year. If he gets cut in 2012 we would save 2.3 Million off of the cap.

TRich (gonna be his decsion to retire)

He's either going to retire or not be resigned.

Taylor

Cutting him will save 2.75 million. If they get a pass rusher in the first round he will not be back.

Brian Thomas

Cutting him would save 3.7 million. I think he's gone.

LT

I think he'll be back for the final year of his contract next year.

Woody

Would save 3.2 million off of the cap. If the Coaches are comfortable enough with either Vlad or Wayne Hunter I could see him being either cut or traded.

Jenkins (face it he just cant stay healthy and wastes salary cap space)

Cutting him would save 4.6 million. If he retires, which I think he will, that would save 6.4 Million.

Cromartie needs to stay. Hes played decent enough.

Kellen Clemens will also be gone. Id like to see the NYJETS play him Sunday in the 2nd half to see if hes got anything?

I agree Cro has played decent enough, but I think Rex thinks he is as good as Revis, but he is not and can not even hold his jock strap. Our D was 10x better with a JAG on the other side, Rex had a better scheme last year by using his blitzes to funnel everything to Revis' side where now he thinks Cro is just as good and no need to do this. So for that reason and also I think Wilson, will be leaps and bounds better once he is outside all the time.

I would cut:

Brunnell 1.3 - anybody can replace him. he is finished.

Gholston .4 - does not do much for the cap, but it would greatly increase fan morale

Taylor 2.275 - no brainer. marginal contribitor and getting older. need the savings

Thomas 3.7 - absolute no brainer. big savings. invisible on the field, easily replaced

LT 2.4 - I'd keep him if we don't need the money to resign BE, Holmes and Cro - otherwise hope McKnight develops

Woody - 3.2 - I like him, but getting older, Hunter looks very good, big savings

Jenkins - 4.6 - love him to death but he will always get injured, big savings

I think that adds up to 17.9. Not bad. Whatever it takes to resign BE, Holmes and Cro s/b priority.

If you get rid of Pace and Thomas we lose our two OLBs what the hell do you expect to do without them?

replace em with shawn crable and cody brown, Duh!

in all seriousness Bryan Thomas is a very good player and so is pace. Neither are fantastic but both are very good.

I agree Cro has played decent enough, but I think Rex thinks he is as good as Revis, but he is not and can not even hold his jock strap. Our D was 10x better with a JAG on the other side, Rex had a better scheme last year by using his blitzes to funnel everything to Revis' side where now he thinks Cro is just as good and no need to do this. So for that reason and also I think Wilson, will be leaps and bounds better once he is outside all the time.

The D was better last year because the Jets could bring pressure blitzing, not because we had a JAG CB. Looking to make moves at CB would be useless, the Jets have personnel problems, but CB is not one of them. If the Jets could pressure the QB they would have 2 Pro Bowl CB's.

Jenkins isn't playing now, Gholston is useless, Taylor and Thomas are very replaceable in the Draft.

I agree about Jenkins and Gholston but I'd keep Taylor and see if we can rework Thomas contract before he's released. Replacing Jenkins and Gholston is easy considering neither of them help out anyway but I wouldn't cut everyone on the list, way to many holes to fill with unproven rookies that will want more money or FA that also will want more money.

The D was better last year because the Jets could bring pressure blitzing, not because we had a JAG CB. Looking to make moves at CB would be useless, the Jets have personnel problems, but CB is not one of them. If the Jets could pressure the QB they would have 2 Pro Bowl CB's.

So what is the diference from last year and this year about getting pressure on the QB, our front 7 and blitzing DB's are pretty much unchanged, and the one guy they brought in was supposed to be an upgrade. The only 2 reasons we are not getting as much pressure is either the league caught up with Rex's scheme, or he has changed it from last year, I think the latter (just my opinion, and I think he changed it based on having 2 shutdown CB's which I think is a mistake, and Rex is over estimating Cro's talent level). Hopefully in the playoffs Revis is on Bowe 100% of the time we stop there running game and then Rex funnells his blitz's to make Cassell throw the ball to Bowe on 3rd downs were the Jets would have the advantage and that would equal a win barring ST's and Offensive disaster JMO.

If you think Cromartie is just average then I'm not sure you have been watching Jets football this year.

So what is the diference from last year and this year about getting pressure on the QB, our front 7 and blitzing DB's are pretty much unchanged, and the one guy they brought in was supposed to be an upgrade. The only 2 reasons we are not getting as much pressure is either the league caught up with Rex's scheme, or he has changed it from last year, I think the latter (just my opinion, and I think he changed it based on having 2 shutdown CB's which I think is a mistake, and Rex is over estimating Cro's talent level). Hopefully in the playoffs Revis is on Bowe 100% of the time we stop there running game and then Rex funnells his blitz's to make Cassell throw the ball to Bowe on 3rd downs were the Jets would have the advantage and that would equal a win barring ST's and Offensive disaster JMO.

I don't think that the scheme is stale, but I do think that the league has caught on to the Jets players weaknesses, which Rex was more able to diguise in the early going. I would like to know the stat on how much time the oppising QB had to throw the ball on average this year against the Jets compared to last year, because what I'm seeing on the TV is looking much uglier than last year. If the Jets had stud players on D at the positions that they need them, sceme would not be mentioned. There is nothing wrong with the D scheme IMO, it's the lame horses playing the position.

I don't think that the scheme is stale, but I do think that the league has caught on to the Jets players weaknesses, which Rex was more able to diguise in the early going. I would like to know the stat on how much time the oppising QB had to throw the ball on average this year against the Jets compared to last year, because what I'm seeing on the TV is looking much uglier than last year. If the Jets had stud players on D at the positions that they need them, sceme would not be mentioned. There is nothing wrong with the D scheme IMO, it's the lame horses playing the position.

I definetly think he changed the scheme around, Revis was thrown at over 100 times last year, and trust me every coach and QB knew how good he was by about week 3, but yet Rex forced them to throw to Revis by bringing overload blitzs to flush the QB to either try and complete a pass on Revis or throw it across his body, to the other side, or just throw it away, I see balls being thrown at Revis maybe 1 or 2 times a game this year, and I think its a combo of Rex having Cro and not scheming this way which is also exposing the middle of the field more.

I think Nance said Sunday we led the NFL in forced 3 and outs. The issue IMO is when we don't get there pressure wise we have only two guys in our secondary that can cover and have been exposed big time. Need a Defensive lineman that can generate his own pressure and safeties that can cover.

A lot of people on this board have unrealistic expectations of cornerback play. The best cornerbacks get beat. All of the others get beat more often. Kinda like hockey goalies. Not western gunfighters.

Cromartie is very good (albeit lousey tackler). The Jets have the luxury of leaving Revis and Cro alone and they still can't cover the TEs, slots and RBs. Take away Cro, and this defense takes a major step backward.

I have made a list of guys I would like to be replaced, mostly because of high price tag that is not giving the production at the cost.

Jenkins (face it he just cant stay healthy and wastes salary cap space) 2010 3.9 mill 2011 6.4 mill (if cut saves 4.6 mill)

If all cut except Gholston and Pace cause its not worth it. Savings of 22.975 mill, that sounds like enough to get BE, Holmes, and Harris, then we would need to do a lot of salary restructure to fill out a very good team.

Do you guys think getting rid of these guys would free up enough money to sign BE, Holmes, Harris, a monster pass rusher, and a play making Safety, and still fill out the rest of the roster?

Thanks for the breakdown with cap implications. To save cash I would like to see Clemens be the backup and Cut Brunell as you've stated. I like all the cuts actually as you've stated to actually keep Pace...but I hope they could resign Cro. I'm hoping there is still something there with Westerman. This gives players like him, McKnight etc a chance to step up and maaaybe keep Edwards, Holmes and Harris too. Or at least 2 out of 3?

You hope the younger OL can keep it up and maybe Ducasse is ready. You then Draft an edge rusher round 1 maybe trade additional picks to move up. And a Saftey in the mid rounds and hope the get lucky with the pick.

A lot of people on this board have unrealistic expectations of cornerback play. The best cornerbacks get beat. All of the others get beat more often. Kinda like hockey goalies. Not western gunfighters.

Cromartie is very good (albeit lousey tackler). The Jets have the luxury of leaving Revis and Cro alone and they still can't cover the TEs, slots and RBs. Take away Cro, and this defense takes a major step backward.

Yeah I agree. I would like to think with these type of cuts they could, possibly, at least keep 3 out of the big 4 (Cro, Holmes, BE, Harris). Honestly if I had to let one of the 4 go I think I'd have to think about letting Harris go first. As crazy as that sounds I just think an ILB would be the easiest to replace. All 4 are such a big part of the team. Don't forget about B Smith too.

Yeah I agree. I would like to think with these type of cuts they could, possibly, at least keep 3 out of the big 4 (Cro, Holmes, BE, Harris). Honestly if I had to let one of the 4 go I think I'd have to think about letting Harris go first. As crazy as that sounds I just think an ILB would be the easiest to replace. All 4 are such a big part of the team. Don't forget about B Smith too.

Smith probably will be gone to a bad team that could use a good but not great player like him right now. If he could catch the ball I have no doubt the team would keep him, but he can't.

there's nothing wrong with Cro, holy crap! we finally have the closest thing to 2 shutdown corners and you want to get rid of one? we're getting burned by TE's and 3rd receivers!! Teams figured it out! this is the pros man!

Yes, but didn't Cro get beat for a TD last week. Aren't good cornerbacks supposed to be perfect?

MY GOD. The cornerback position is my favorite. I study it like Stephen Hawking thinks about black holes. Revis is already one of the 5 best CBs to ever play the game and Cro is easily a top 10 in the game today. That is one heck of a combo. If you don't agree it is because you don't know WTF you are talking about. Now let's look at the proud CB history of the Jets. Glenn and Hasty were good. Pretty much the rest in the past 40 years have been bums or mediocre.

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

antonio cromartie is the last person on Earth I'd trust with big time money. Let's be real. This is his best effort, cause he's in a contract year. He's not a Revis type who will work hard no matter what. He's going to take the money and mail it in. i'd do the opposite of most people on this thread and resign Harris first, cause he's the vocal leader of the defense and a 100% hard worker no matter what. Cro is not a safe investment.

When you cut 11 guys and replace them with 3 guys you're going to be off on your net cap savings. You haven't replaced the other 8 players on the roster who will add up to another $2.6M if none of the 8 of them make a dollar more than the rookie minimum, and if the rookie minimum remains the same in 2011 as it is in 2010. Since there's little chance of all of them being replaced with rookie-minimum players a savings of $23M is probably at least $5M off (depending on who those low-salary replacements are).

A "monster" pass rusher, if an available one exists by the time free agency starts, is going to eat up somewhere in the neighborhood of $11M per year by himself. A playmaking safety, also assuming one exists in FA, will be another $6M (at least as much as we gave Rhodes 3 years ago). Now you've got a couple million max for the combination of BE, Holmes, and Harris combined. This is what happens when so many player acquisitions are guys who are (or are about to become) top-5 or at worst top-10 earners for their respective positions.

Guys like Pace -- he was good for us before this season. Even very good, when he wasn't injured or suspended. But based on his on-field performance he wasn't worth nearly what we gave him. In reality, we got damn lucky he was as good as he's been.

Cromartie is a tough one. Part of me thought that they just wanted a 1-year fix so they could ease in a rookie. Then the draft came and they got their rookie, which made all the more sense at the time because of the situation with Revis and his $16M/year demands. Now that Revis is signed, Cromartie should be expendable. Problem is Wilson hasn't looked anywhere near ready to start 16 games for us next season. The problem is Cromartie won't be under contract anymore and retaining him will be an $8M/year contract if we're stupid-lucky. Given how few corners like him ever hit free agency, there's a damn good chance he'll be in the $10M+/year stratosphere. With Revis making so much I don't know how feasible that is and the franchise tag may not even exist next year even if we were willing to pay that for 1 season. If we pay it, we're at a best-case-scenario of being no better than we are this year on defense. The team badly needs an OLB who can get to the QB without blitzes and without being pure coverage sacks/hurries.

It's also why I hated the idea of Gholston at #6, and that was before knowing what a monumental bust he'd become. You don't give a guy that kind of guaranteed money and then tell him to change positions at the same time he's adjusting to the pro game. It's the type of move that cripples you at his position for a few years because he's too expensive to simply cut ties with. That was a trade-down time for us if there ever existed one. If NE was able to trade down with all 6 blue-chip prospects off the board, we would have been able to with the last one still available. With the exception of a higher-success position like Ferguson, or a singularly key position like with Sanchez, I think it's a mistake to use a pick on a guy who must succeed or the team is royally screwed.

While there is certainly some maneuvering in terms of how much hits the cap in year 1 of a new contract as opposed to later years, you still have to pay the piper before long because of the tens of millions of guaranteed money each of these guys garners.

I don't know how worth it BE and Holmes both are. Truth is, they don't seem to complement each other very well. Either that or they're not being used together correctly. Both have demonstrated atrocious hands - Holmes worse than Edwards this year - and I don't think retaining both is worth bypassing on - or weakening us at - another position. I'd take Cromartie and one of them over retaining both. It's a lot easier to find a #2 WR than it is to find a #2 CB as good as Cromartie (tackling skills notwithstanding).

Archived