REWATCHED THE COLTS GAME

sirlancemehlot

#1 Eric Smith was monstrous in close coverage and run support. MONSTROUS. And somehow I thought he was teh suck. He is no longer teh suck. He ran sh*t on the D. Like a crip with a mac-10. He was real, real, skeery.

#2 Slauson is a thick, powerful Bob's Big-Boy doll. Very slow but very strong. Cannot pull. At all.

Worth mentioning: David Harris can chase down anybody--and slam their a$$ to the turf Joe-Klecko-style. Fun to watch. Also, Braylon Edwards adds three yards to every ouside run. Dude can block, Period.

Oh... noticed three things actually... Rex has a black eye. Left eye has a bloody streak in the white (or sclera) and a blackened bruise under the lid. Wifey not happy. But Sirlance could care less as long as we beat the Pats.

#1 Eric Smith was monstrous in close coverage and run support. MONSTROUS. And somehow I thought he was teh suck. He is no longer teh suck. He ran sh*t on the D. Like a crip with a mac-10. He was real, real, skeery.

#2 Slauson is a thick, powerful Bob's Big-Boy doll. Very slow but very strong. Cannot pull. At all.

Worth mentioning: David Harris can chase down anybody--and slam their a$$ to the turf Joe-Klecko-style. Fun to watch. Also, Braylon Edwards adds three yards to every ouside run. Dude can block, Period.

Oh... noticed three things actually... Rex has a black eye. Left eye has a bloody streak in the white (or sclera) and a blackened bruise under the lid. Wifey not happy. But Sirlance could care less as long as we beat the Pats.

Braylon's run blocking was key. Smith looked amazing. The Version Fios 10 minute recaps "On Demand" are teh awesome. I hope we can keep Harris.

You could see in that game why Lowery will probably never be a starting safety in the league. When Pool and Smith were involved in tackles, they hit the guys and brought them down without giving up additional yards. Lowery grabs hold and drags the guys and gives up extra yards. It is all about the tackling ability and your safeties need to be able to come up and make a stick....Lowery can't.

Smith is teh suck, but he didnt not suck that game. Surprised though that after going back and watching the game his play at safety stood out to you when I thought Pool had his best game of the year.

This. I will still believe he sucks until he un-sucks for more than just one game. Both safeties had very good games. That said, the one time I complemented Smith in the game thread who went and pulled an Eric Smith and got dragged an extra 3 yards on a tackle to give up a first down. Just reminded me that nothing good will ever come of me saying anything positive about Eric Smith.

However, the one thing I will say is I think part of the thing was the Colts gameplan was one that played much more to the abilities of Pool and Smith. Neither guy was put into anywhere near the degree of man coverage situations, particularly on WRs, that they typically have been in the past. Neither guy was being asked to do too much, and that allowed them both to excel in their areas of strength. That said, I'll believe it to be for real if they can pull it off again, but it's certainly a lot better than what we had seen out of these guys all season.

Yes...and the defense just played defense no gimmicks. They just executed and clearly shows if our defense plays like that against the Pats, the Pats have ZERO chance of beating us....

Actually his wife accidentally poked him in the eye with her big toe and he contracted athlete's foot of the eye.

You could see in that game why Lowery will probably never be a starting safety in the league. When Pool and Smith were involved in tackles, they hit the guys and brought them down without giving up additional yards. Lowery grabs hold and drags the guys and gives up extra yards. It is all about the tackling ability and your safeties need to be able to come up and make a stick....Lowery can't.

Noticed this too...a little disappointed. I think Lowery's a good player, but finding a niche in this D for him seems to be tough. Smells like a trade candidate but this being the NFL trades aren't all that common.

This. I will still believe he sucks until he un-sucks for more than just one game. Both safeties had very good games. That said, the one time I complemented Smith in the game thread who went and pulled an Eric Smith and got dragged an extra 3 yards on a tackle to give up a first down. Just reminded me that nothing good will ever come of me saying anything positive about Eric Smith.

However, the one thing I will say is I think part of the thing was the Colts gameplan was one that played much more to the abilities of Pool and Smith. Neither guy was put into anywhere near the degree of man coverage situations, particularly on WRs, that they typically have been in the past. Neither guy was being asked to do too much, and that allowed them both to excel in their areas of strength. That said, I'll believe it to be for real if they can pull it off again, but it's certainly a lot better than what we had seen out of these guys all season.

True, they werent really asked to do much then to come up in run support or cover a 5 yard dig. Pretty much plays into their strengths. I think Rex did a good job of making that happen with his different packages. We'll see if he's able to scheme the same way this weekend.

Are you trying to say Kerry Rhodes has a vagina?

I did.

Honestly, that's all I've got though...

no, no, no. you're doing it all wrong. What you're supposed to do is make gross assumptions sprinkled with mean-spirited humor and then draw an implausible conclusion. Please re-read the Interweb Message Board Rules of Conduct and fix this issue. Thanks in advance. SLM.

i've bashed Slauson as much as any1 but his trap blocking was nasty the other night. in the run game he's generally very good. In the pass game he has some weaknesses. but trap blocking is a form of pull blocking and he's crushing people out there.

trap blocking is technically pulling--thats true. But its stepping down the line and hammering the first guy who shows. Slauson is useless in space or downfield as he's slowfooted and doesn't change direction well. Faneca and Mawae in thier prime (and almost all of the '90s Denver Broncos OL) were exceptional at this. i hope Ducasse is more athletic than Slauson. All indications are that he is more nimble--just hasn't picked up technique yet.

Archived