More Awesome From Bart Scott

RutgersJetFan

From ESPNNY today:

Ryan got a little warm and fuzzy as he described his fondness for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. He recalled a game from 2007, when Tomlin didn't try to run up the score against Ryan's banged-up Baltimore defense. The Steelers jumped to a 35-0 lead, but instead of pulling a Belichick, they ran the ball on 21 of 28 plays in the second half.

"He wasn't going to try to rub our nose in it," said Ryan, delivering a veiled shot at Belichick and Brady for the 45-3 beatdown.

Ryan related a story within the story, about how Scott -- upset that the Steelers' fullback was running his mouth during the blowout -- went to Tomlin and asked him to reinsert the fullback into the game. According to Ryan, Tomlin said to Scott, "Bart, you want him? You want a piece of him?"

Scott, of course, said yes. So Tomlin sent his fullback (Ryan couldn't remember his name) back into the game, and he ended up with a separated shoulder.

"That's one of my favorite stories, and it told me a lot about Mike Tomlin," Ryan said, smiling.

Scott is a barely controlled rabid dog who is the player you either LOVE when he's on your team or HATE when he's on any other team. I think we can all see that.

But at some level, pro sports should be about entertainment, not life-or-death for the fans. And after two decades or more of watching the league office trying to strip all the fun out of football, I find this refreshing not just as a Jet fan, but as an NFL fan. It takes me back to the glory days (for me) of the 70s-80s when I absolutely loathed the Raiders but couldn't wait to see what they would do next.

The fact that all this stuff is giving Goodell fits just makes me happier, as does the fact that it's the Jets leading the charge. Yes, it can get tiring if overdone, but I think the NFL needs some of this and it was long overdue.

Man speaks the truth. Great stat.

To wit: After a 10-0 record in his first 10 postseason appearances, Brady is just 4-5 in his last nine. That's downright Manning-esque.

Patriots are proving to be quite a good regular season team.

Patriots are proving to be quite a good regular season team.

I've been saying it for a couple of years now, the current Patriots are nothing more than a reincarnation of the early 2000s Colts. Since their last Super Bowl victory, the Patriots post season ventures have been less than impressive. Even in their 18-1 season their playoff wins were nowhere near what you saw out of that team in the regular season. They barely held on to beat an absolutely decimated by injuries Chargers team with a QB playing on one leg.

Scott is a barely controlled rabid dog who is the player you either LOVE when he's on your team or HATE when he's on any other team. I think we can all see that.

But at some level, pro sports should be about entertainment, not life-or-death for the fans. And after two decades or more of watching the league office trying to strip all the fun out of football, I find this refreshing not just as a Jet fan, but as an NFL fan. It takes me back to the glory days (for me) of the 70s-80s when I absolutely loathed the Raiders but couldn't wait to see what they would do next.

The fact that all this stuff is giving Goodell fits just makes me happier, as does the fact that it's the Jets leading the charge. Yes, it can get tiring if overdone, but I think the NFL needs some of this and it was long overdue.

If I remember correctly Bart Scott is a huge pro wrestling fan and I think that plays a role in the way he rants and raves for attention. I think in small doses it can be good to help create some added interest in a game or a personality of the team. I think what the NFL fears is having 53 guys on a team doing it all game long to where it overshadows the game. I think the NFL watched the success and failure of the NBA very closely from a marketing perspective. The NBA underwent that post-Jordan transformation into a league where a large portion of the audience just looked at every team as 10 thugs on a court due to the way certain players carried themselves both on and off the court. I think that is what the NFL wants to avoid when they try to tame the behavior of the players.

Archived