Sanchez, Holmes, Cotchery, and patience

slats

Holmes is a great player, and Pittsburgh knows it. He wants the ball in critical spots, and they know that, too.

So the Jets and Sanchez need to be patient with Holmes, and not force anything to him. Let the Steelers defend him. Braylon torched them for 100 yards receiving last time, and Jerricho had zero catches. Cotchery is coming off a huge game against the Pats, and we haven't seen the drops from him the past couple weeks that seemed to be plaguing him for a little while there. I think he's the x-factor in this game.

Steelers are going to come in ready to shut down the Jets running game, so the Jets should be prepared with play-action early. More of those short, rhythm-creating throws that Schottenheimer suddenly discovered the last month of the season. Sanchez has connected on 62.5% of his throws in his last four outings - and that includes the Steeler game. The Jets should not try to get too fancy, but they shouldn't be afraid to come out in a three WR set early - even if they run from the formation. Pittsburgh is going to sell out to stop the run, Holmes, and Edwards. Throwing to set up the run in this game would not be a bad plan.

I think McKnight's 2 yard run early in the Pat game was a great play call. It gave the Pats something more to think about all game that they didn't want to think about. If the Jets can involve him, or maybe get an early throw to Patrick Turner - something that gets Pittsburgh thinking about something else - that would be big. Even if it's only a short gain.

Bottom line, the Jets are in the Championship Game this year because they've been smart enough to not beat themselves. They need to play their game. Play to their strengths, which start on the OL. No extra-fancy BS that leads to lost downs or turnovers (or 45-3 blowout losses). But they still need to keep a very good Pittsburgh defense on its toes.

Great post, Slats.

Schitty's best quality is that he isn't like Mangini. He learns from mistakes rather than steadfastly sticking with something that doesn't work.

Schitty has been calling good games and devising good gameplans because he has adjusted like you mentioned, giving Sanchez easier throws to make.

Playaction is key to this game. Minimal pistol/shotgun. Make the Steelers have to guess on each play.

Turner likely won't be active, though, because he replaced Smith who should be ready to go. I do hope Schitty stays away from the wildcat. That's not going to work against the Steelers and it messes up Sanchez' rhythm.

Great post, Slats.

Schitty's best quality is that he isn't like Mangini. He learns from mistakes rather than steadfastly sticking with something that doesn't work.

Schitty has been calling good games and devising good gameplans because he has adjusted like you mentioned, giving Sanchez easier throws to make.

Playaction is key to this game. Minimal pistol/shotgun. Make the Steelers have to guess on each play.

Turner likely won't be active, though, because he replaced Smith who should be ready to go. I do hope Schitty stays away from the wildcat. That's not going to work against the Steelers and it messes up Sanchez' rhythm.

Speaking of sh*tty I think he's earned his name to be back to Shotty. Great gameplans and in game adjustments during the playoffs...minus anything that has to do with the wildcat.

Not sure I agree. Maybe if Smith actually THREW a pass out of that formation for a change...

That's begging for a turnover, IMHO.

They're actually very effective running out of the formation, but I wouldn't go to it in this game unless the offense is completely stalled and needs a jumpstart. Maybe, again, just one time early to keep them guessing - but not as a staple of what they plan to do.

Speaking of sh*tty I think he's earned his name to be back to Shotty. Great gameplans and in game adjustments during the playoffs...minus anything that has to do with the wildcat.

No. He's still the reason we'll lose any game we lose. Calling him Schitty fits, sounds cool, and helps release some of the anger built up. The man, for the second year in a row, JUST figured out how to do his job come playoff time. He's a piece of Schitt, and will never get over the most accurate name ever given to a coach.

Anyone think the Steelers will be ready for our short passing game this time? I get the feeling that Sanchez will have to have his best game yet to pull this one off. The Steelers saw the new look offense already, and you've gotta figure they'll go balls out on scaring the crap out of Sanchez.

No. He's still the reason we'll lose any game we lose.

Anyone think the Steelers will be ready for our short passing game this time? I get the feeling that Sanchez will have to have his best game yet to pull this one off.

I think Polamalu is definitely going to play closer to the LOS all game. Got to take some shots imo. Preferably to Braylon. He's the guy that creates a mismatch for us each week.

I really like the personnel groupings that Schott has been using in the playoffs. The Jets are using Robert Turner as a TE to add protection and set up play-action. I think we'll see more of that - run formation, play-action pass with max protect on early downs.

I think the way the Jets are playing defense right now, we can expect a fairly conservative gameplan. The Jets need to get Sanchez confidence early in the game. As soon as he got into a rhythm vs. the Pats the offense really took off.

I would draw up a Streak or deep post, or deep corner route to Polamalu every passing down, to force him to stay back off the line of scrimmage or burn him with it if he doesn't back off, and then later run out of same formations when he does back off, its a game with him, and one you can't lose.

I would draw up a Streak or deep post, or deep corner route to Polamalu every passing down, to force him to stay back off the line of scrimmage or burn him with it if he doesn't back off, and then later run out of same formations when he does back off, its a game with him, and one you can't lose.

We haven't seen the Braylon streak (well, Holmes got it in Denver or Cleveland can't remember) in a while...if they're going to do that...and it's really not a bad idea....the running game is going to have to be on point to draw Troy P back to the LOS.

Anyone think the Steelers will be ready for our short passing game this time? I get the feeling that Sanchez will have to have his best game yet to pull this one off.

The Jets aren't likely to win this game on offense. They just need to control the clock as much as they can, control field position, and not make any stupid mistakes (turnovers). This is -by far- the toughest defense they're facing in the post-season. The Jets are playing the Steelers because the Ravens imploded last week. The Jets can't force things or get desperate. They should certainly throw the ball downfield once in a while, but they don't want to put themselves in difficult 3rd down situations. The key is moving the football, and keeping the Steelers on their end of the field all game. If that means punting in Steeler territory, so be it.

The beat the Steelers gaining 100 less yards on offense, and trailing in ToP (a rarity for the Jets). They won on special teams and defense.

The Jets aren't likely to win this game on offense. They just need to control the clock as much as they can, control field position, and not make any stupid mistakes (turnovers). This is -by far- the toughest defense they're facing in the post-season. The Jets are playing the Steelers because the Ravens imploded last week. The Jets can't force things or get desperate. They should certainly throw the ball downfield once in a while, but they don't want to put themselves in difficult 3rd down situations. The key is moving the football, and keeping the Steelers on their end of the field all game. If that means punting in Steeler territory, so be it.

The beat the Steelers gaining 100 less yards on offense, and trailing in ToP (a rarity for the Jets). They won on special teams and defense.

This is a great point, any drive ending in a kick early will be a win for us as long as our D showes up, play the game wait for the moment to pounce, make that 1 or 2 big plays to win the game. Easier said then done, but its the way this game will probably have to be won.

Its going to be a frustrating game to, we will just need to have patience, and faith in Rex and the team to get this done.

Here is a crazy stat about the Jets: they are 12-1 this year when scoring a TD.

Even weirder is the total inability to score in the 1st quarter. The last offensive TD in the 1st quarter was vs. Buffalo in week 4. I have no idea why they can't score early in games but if there was ever a time to break the streak this weekend is it.

Even weirder is the total inability to score in the 1st quarter. The last offensive TD in the 1st quarter was vs. Buffalo in week 4. I have no idea why they can't score early in games but if there was ever a time to break the streak this weekend is it.

The Jets O is capable of adjusting, but it takes a while. That's why we don't score in the 1st quarter. The plus side is, when our offense does get on a roll, it can take control of the game like it did in the 2nd half of both the Indy and NE games. We have 2 fresh running backs who can bring it when the 4th quarter comes around.

Pittsburgh is however, as slats said, a much tougher D than Indy or New England, so the D had better be able to keep the score in the teens or low 20's.

Don't want to Jinx it. He'll be back to Schotty after the season.

I predict Braylon will have another BEAST day AND Santonio will catch the winning TD

/pullin' it out my a$

/hope it goes down like that

Or did you mean

//will be going down on Braylon

I have to agree Cotchery will be HUGE in this game. I think Keller will be rendered useless because we're going to need him to block due to the Steeler pass-rush.

Holmes is a great player, and Pittsburgh knows it. He wants the ball in critical spots, and they know that, too.

So the Jets and Sanchez need to be patient with Holmes, and not force anything to him. Let the Steelers defend him. Braylon torched them for 100 yards receiving last time, and Jerricho had zero catches. Cotchery is coming off a huge game against the Pats, and we haven't seen the drops from him the past couple weeks that seemed to be plaguing him for a little while there. I think he's the x-factor in this game.

Steelers are going to come in ready to shut down the Jets running game, so the Jets should be prepared with play-action early. More of those short, rhythm-creating throws that Schottenheimer suddenly discovered the last month of the season. Sanchez has connected on 62.5% of his throws in his last four outings - and that includes the Steeler game. The Jets should not try to get too fancy, but they shouldn't be afraid to come out in a three WR set early - even if they run from the formation. Pittsburgh is going to sell out to stop the run, Holmes, and Edwards. Throwing to set up the run in this game would not be a bad plan.

I think McKnight's 2 yard run early in the Pat game was a great play call. It gave the Pats something more to think about all game that they didn't want to think about. If the Jets can involve him, or maybe get an early throw to Patrick Turner - something that gets Pittsburgh thinking about something else - that would be big. Even if it's only a short gain.

Bottom line, the Jets are in the Championship Game this year because they've been smart enough to not beat themselves. They need to play their game. Play to their strengths, which start on the OL. No extra-fancy BS that leads to lost downs or turnovers (or 45-3 blowout losses). But they still need to keep a very good Pittsburgh defense on its toes.

Good post. I'm not sure about the McKnight thing. I doubt the Pats were thinking about him. Was he even on the field again? For Turner to be on the field, Braylon, Santonio, Cotchery, Keller or one of the RBs will be out. I don't like that idea.

Not sure I understand this part. I know there's a typo, but I don't get it. They got over 100 on the ground last time and 276 overall. The Steelers put 410 yards up, but not many points.

Or did you mean

//will be going down on Braylon

I have to agree Cotchery will be HUGE in this game. I think Keller will be rendered useless because we're going to need him to block due to the Steeler pass-rush.

I like the idea of using Keller. I understand your point about blocking, but if those guys are coming I think he may be open right beyond the line. Sure he didn't have a very good game last time, but that's no always an indicator.

Completely agreed...though I think the offense did a good job in the Steelers win even if they played a different type of game..."timely offense" instead of "time consuming" offense.

There will be deep balls this week.

Great post, Slats.

I'm sorry but I don't see how this erases the criticism of Schitty. Many of us have been demanding exactly this for years. Was the grand plan to be so inept all these years to fool opponents for playoff games? I don't think so. If we're lucky it signals he's finally turned it around. But we said the same thing last year too and got more crap this year. The luckiest thing was that Brad Smith was injured, without that I'm sure we'd have gotten the same retarded playcalling getting stupidcat in there every time Sanchez completes a pass, as well as run, run, pass playcalling on top of that.

Just hope Smith remains injured this season.

Not sure I understand this part. I know there's a typo, but I don't get it. They got over 100 on the ground last time and 276 overall. The Steelers put 410 yards up, but not many points.

we won last time with special teams, not defense or offense, really.. They started 3 drives within thier own 8, one of which lead to the decisive safety, and of course we got the Brad smith TD to start things off.. The steelers special teams kind of stink, so we could repeat..

That is crazy. Too bad its going to take more than just 1 TD this game.

We cant score in the first quarter because Sanchez always come out flat. He never seems to find a rhythm till later in the game or when we are behind. His most inaccurate quarter is the 1st, by far. I'd love to see him come out hot for a change.

we won last time with special teams, not defense or offense, really.. They started 3 drives within thier own 8, one of which lead to the decisive safety, and of course we got the Brad smith TD to start things off.. The steelers special teams kind of stink, so we could repeat..

Oh I agree with that. I just don't see the 100 yards thing.

I am puzzled by the way the Steelers took away Mason and Boldin last week. Their secondary is their weak link. Maybe Mason is just old and Boldin is a Big _Puss. The Pats kill the Steelers by spreading them out. I think the Jets might try this, and also get some decent runs out of the spread. They would still have 5 pretty good run blockers in their spread. But I worry whenever the Jets try to get cute. We had those 4 games this year with no TDs. I felt we were being too cute and out of character in those.

I am puzzled by the way the Steelers took away Mason and Boldin last week. Their secondary is their weak link. Maybe Mason is just old and Boldin is a Big _Puss. The Pats kill the Steelers by spreading them out. I think the Jets might try this, and also get some decent runs out of the spread. They would still have 5 pretty good run blockers in their spread. But I worry whenever the Jets try to get cute. We had those 4 games this year with no TDs. I felt we were being too cute and out of character in those.

Boldin flat out dropped a sure TD

He also dropped another critical pass on 3rd down. The opportunities were there, they just sucked. Lets not talkabout that 4th down drop by Housh.

Jets wr's > Ravens Wr's

I'm sorry but I don't see how this erases the criticism of Schitty. Many of us have been demanding exactly this for years. Was the grand plan to be so inept all these years to fool opponents for playoff games? I don't think so. If we're lucky it signals he's finally turned it around. But we said the same thing last year too and got more crap this year. The luckiest thing was that Brad Smith was injured, without that I'm sure we'd have gotten the same retarded playcalling getting stupidcat in there every time Sanchez completes a pass, as well as run, run, pass playcalling on top of that.

Just hope Smith remains injured this season.

I never said it erases the criticism of Schitty. I simply stated that he learned from his mistakes. If he learned from them he won't repeat them.

I wouldn't mind seeing them come out in 3 wide, with Turner at TE, and seeing how Pitt reacts to it. If they bring in an extra DB and take out a LB, run out of that set. If they stay in their base 3-4, that means they'll be covering Cotchery with a LB or a safety, and he can eat that up.

I really like the personnel groupings that Schott has been using in the playoffs. The Jets are using Robert Turner as a TE to add protection and set up play-action. I think we'll see more of that - run formation, play-action pass with max protect on early downs.

I think the way the Jets are playing defense right now, we can expect a fairly conservative gameplan. The Jets need to get Sanchez confidence early in the game. As soon as he got into a rhythm vs. the Pats the offense really took off.

Agree. Sanchez has been too excited and way off target at the start of the previous two games.

If he can avoid a horrible start to the game we will be in good shape.

That is crazy. Too bad its going to take more than just 1 TD this game.

We cant score in the first quarter because Sanchez always come out flat. He never seems to find a rhythm till later in the game or when we are behind. His most inaccurate quarter is the 1st, by far. I'd love to see him come out hot for a change.

You know what JiF, I've been thinking about the 1st quarter issue and I think it's twofold:

1 - you are 100% correct. For whatever reason Sanchez comes out wild. It's like a starting pitcher in baseball that gets knocked around in the 1st inning, the dude just comes out wild and needs to settle down.

2 - I think Schott is like the anti-Walsh. All those west coast guys would script the first 10 plays of the game and have an idea of what they wanted to run. I feel like Schott needs to see the D and how they are playing the formations and personnel groupings and then he makes adjustments to attack.

Whatever the reason, it's been 14 games since the team scored an offensive TD in the 1st quarter. It's amazing that they've made it this far while only playing 3 quarters of offensive football each game.

Archived