This Season Was A Failure

The Gun Of Bavaria

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The season is a failure for 31 teams.

But only in the Jet fan-centric mind the Jets' failure is bigger than all the other 31 teams.

The sense of entitlement by some Jet fans is laughable. No one is entitled to a championship.

The Jets have played 4 AFCCGs on the road and been the underdog in every one of them and has faced 3 SB winning QBs.

Get home playoff games and then lets see where we are.

But only in the Jet fan-centric mind the Jets' failure is bigger than all the other 31 teams.

The sense of entitlement by some Jet fans is laughable. No one is entitled to a championship.

The Jets have played 4 AFCCGs on the road and been the underdog in every one of them and has faced 3 SB winning QBs.

Exactly. Look at the rest of the league and other than the two teams that won yesterday, who would you trade places with right now?

I'm still trying to get past my initial reactions from the game of disappointment, failure, sadness, anger and frustration. But after its all said and done, this was a good season and find it amazing that we managed to get to the AFCCG two years in a row in two seasons under Rex. I sure hope that means we put up a fight like this every year. So many other teams would dream to be as competitive as we are.

I'm actually surprised about how not upset I am. I think that's because I feel like unlike during the Pennington era, we're actually building a team that can stick around for a while. During the Pennington era, we could beat bad teams, but not good ones. I just feel like this team can be a contender for a few years.

That is precisely the reason I'm not bummed out anywhere near what I would have been.

RECENT history December 30, 2007. We win in overtime against a Herm coached KC Chiefs to end the season.

My future = Chad Pennington (who KNOWS he can do it) is my QB, Eric Mangini is my HC, and Marty Schottenheimers favorite son Brian is my OC. Where's my razor blade?

I'm not throwing the razor blade away till someone finds something else for Brian to do - but think of that futility. How do you extract hope from that steaming pile? We don't have that today. We will have a better O and a better D next season. Count on it.

I'm not quite the pessimist that GOB is, but I'm definitely not a "moral victory" or "just happy to be here" type. That's a loser's mentality.

It's also about expectations... you can't be happy with a chopped liver performance in the 1st Half when the coach and players have been promising filet mignon since last season ended.

I'm not quite the pessimist that GOB is, but I'm definitely not a "moral victory" or "just happy to be here" type. That's a loser's mentality.

It's also about expectations... you can't be happy with a chopped liver performance in the 1st Half when the coach and players have been promising filet mignon since last season ended.

But why does it have to be a "moral victory" or "just happy to be here" versus "utter despair"?

I'm saddened and pissed off that the Jets lost. But I'm not going to be all Judy Jetson about it either.

If there is anything I'm "happy" about it's Sanchez. He's a bona fide big moment QB IMO. He turns 25 this November. That means he's 4 yrs younger than Big Ben and 3 yrs younger than Rodgers.

So long as the Jets have Sanchez they'll have a chance to win it all.

But why does it have to be a "moral victory" or "just happy to be here" versus "utter despair"?

I'm saddened and pissed off that the Jets lost. But I'm not going to be all Judy Jetson about it either.

If there is anything I'm "happy" about it's Sanchez. He's a bona fide big moment QB IMO. He turns 25 this November. That means he's 4 yrs younger than Big Ben and 3 yrs younger than Rodgers.

So long as the Jets have Sanchez they'll have a chance to win it all.

Hence, why I said I wasn't quite the pessimist that GOB is.... but I'm not celebrating being the only repeat team in the final four, as if that is an accomplishment that should be lauded. I wouldn't characterize my view as "utter dispair", more "disappointment and disgust" at the wasted opportunities. Beating the Patriots and Colts on the road this year won't make it any easier to get through them next year, if faced with the same situation.

I'm also not all-in on Sanchez like some. Being a "big moment QB" is great and all, but he still has a long way to go during the other 90+% of the snaps he takes during the season. If he can consistently play at an above-average level, maybe the Jets can secure a bye and a home playoff game or two...

I'm also not all-in on Sanchez like some. Being a "big moment QB" is great and all, but he still has a long way to go during the other 90+% of the snaps he takes during the season. If he can consistently play at an above-average level, maybe the Jets can secure a bye and a home playoff game or two...

word.. the dude is just awful for big stretches. I have to assume he'll get more consistant and raise his floor a bit as he gets experiance. But make no mistake, for the majority of this year we had BAD QB play.. I'd put money on him taking a step next year, but by no means am I sold..

word.. the dude is just awful for big stretches. I have to assume he'll get more consistant and raise his floor a bit as he gets experiance. But make no mistake, for the majority of this year we had BAD QB play.. I'd put money on him taking a step next year, but by no means am I sold..

Although IMO I feel like this year was a half-step forward. Better than last year, but not MUCH better. Next year will tell a lot more and if we get this kind of play again next year... ugh.

No doubt, Sanchez had bad stretches this year, but overall he was better than in 2009. Also, he again played better overall in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.

He should get better, but we'll have to see.

Finally, I don't like blaming Schitty, but he does seem to be equal amount of hinderance as help for Sanchez. Schitty is coming back and we'll see if that relationship improves.

Seriously? These last 3 games didn't convince you? Outplaying 3 HoF, SB-winning QBs in a row, on the road, in the playoffs, in only his 2nd season, did nothing for you? Mmmmmk.

Whether it's the QB, the system, or some combination of the two, you simply can't expect to be an elite offense in the long-term if you're completing under 55% of your passes in a league where the average is 60+%. A respectable YPC rate that's a yard better than the league average is nice, but their passing game wasn't nearly efficient enough and needs to improve, as evidence by their poor YPA.

Seriously? These last 3 games didn't convince you? Outplaying 3 HoF, SB-winning QBs in a row, on the road, in the playoffs, in only his 2nd season, did nothing for you? Mmmmmk.

Gameplan notwithstanding, if his play was even mediocre against Baltimore, Green Bay, or Miami, perhaps they wouldn't have had to win 3 playoff games on the road in order to make it to the Super Bowl.

Gameplan notwithstanding, if his play was even mediocre against Baltimore, Green Bay, or Miami, perhaps they wouldn't have had to win 3 playoff games on the road in order to make it to the Super Bowl.

The Jets would have been the 5th seed then because they would have still lost the tiebreaker to the Pats. The Pats overachieved this year. Let's see if they can do it again next year.

sanchez was an abomination for most of Indy game.. worse then a third stringer.. and I didn't say it did nothing, I simply said he has to get a whole lot more consistant before he'll ever be considered a top qb..

Sanchez was playing defense?

Your D was the reason you made last year and this year's AFC Championship games.

He played well against two average at best Ds.

When the game mattered he was insignificant.

The Jets would have been the 5th seed then because they would have still lost the tiebreaker to the Pats. The Pats overachieved this year. Let's see if they can do it again next year.

My point was that, going forward, Sanchez can't play horrifically in half of the regular season games if the Jets don't expect to be travelling come January - if they're even playing at all.

When the game mattered he was insignificant.

LaDainian Tomlinson 7 yard pass from Mark Sanchez (Nick Folk kick) 7 3

Braylon Edwards 15 yard pass from Mark Sanchez (Nick Folk kick) 14 3

Santonio Holmes 7 yard pass from Mark Sanchez (Nick Folk kick) 21 11

Jets Shonn Greene 16 yard rush (Nick Folk kick) 28 14

Schitty defenders need to blame someone, so they just point to Sanchez. They figure the fanbase is still stupid enough to buy that. The media's 2 year campaign against Sanchez pretty much ended last week, but there are always people that are even a few weeks behind that. Next year I project the media will actually promote Sanchez and may even get Sanchez into the Pro Bowl.

Which would have sucked cause we would have never gotten the chance to kick NE's a$$. Then they might have been heading to Dallas right now.

Schitty defenders need to blame someone, so they just point to Sanchez. They figure the fanbase is still stupid enough to buy that. The media's 2 year campaign against Sanchez pretty much ended last week, but there are always people that are even a few weeks behind that. Next year I project the media will actually promote Sanchez and may even get Sanchez into the Pro Bowl.

Come on man, i agree he's flashed brliiance at times but he's not sniffing a pro bowl until he gets a whole lot more consistant. Schotty's not the one that goes through long bouts of inaccuracy..

Nobody said you should be happy with that.

You said This season was an utter and complete failure an for any fan to be happy about this season is ludicrous. . That statement , I don't agree with.

Nobody is happy they lost. People are trying to pick positives out and that is a healthy exercise. Regardless, every Jets fan wanted a win tonight. So if some people feel good about this season, I say good for them.

Agree.

While the "Goal" is always a SB, I am not sure too many of us who were being honest thought we were a SB team coming into this season or even heading into the play-offs for that matter.

We do appear to have two of the main ingredients needed to continue making runs however in our Head Coach and QB. Free Agency could put a damper on next years team but as long as Harris and one of Holmes/Edwards is resigned, we should be able to fill most of the other spots without taking too far a step back.

I think the most positive thing we can take from this is that Sanchez really looks like a clutch player in crunch time. I think most of us believe that if our defense would have got a stop last night on 3rd down Sanchez would have made the plays to win the game. There is a reason I feel this way....because he did it enough times this year to make me believe. The bigger the game the better he seems to play especially in the 4th qtr when the margin of error is very small

I think the most positive thing we can take from this is that Sanchez really looks like a clutch player in crunch time. I think most of us believe that if our defense would have got a stop last night on 3rd down Sanchez would have made the plays to win the game. There is a reason I feel this way....because he did it enough times this year to make me believe. The bigger the game the better he seems to play especially in the 4th qtr when the margin of error is very small

Agree. He does need to get over the long stretches of bad play he shows from time to time to move up to the next level of QB's.

and....had we gotten a stop there at the end how many of us thought, no-were pretty sure we could and would win the game? Hand raised...

and....had we gotten a stop there at the end how many of us thought, no-were pretty sure we could and would win the game? Hand raised...

I'd have been very confident. Hell - we almost had complete success in that situation all season long. Why think different - this isn't the SOJ.

The goal was a Super Bowl.

We didn't get there......again.

So sick of being happy with Wild Cards and title game appearances.

There is zero to be happy about. Nothing.

No Super Bowl Appearance! No AFC Championship. No AFC East Championship. Nada!

Enough of this "We've been inept so long I'm just happy to be there" and enough of the ra-ra crap already.

This season was an utter and complete failure an for any fan to be happy about this season is ludicrous.

Hell might as well root for your home town Lions then. Then at least you won't be disappointed with high expectations.

Archived