Tomlinson-Jets or nothing

Scott Dierking

LaDainian Tomlinson told the New York Daily News Wednesday night that he will retire if the Jets release him this offseason.

"To be in limbo ... sometimes, I just want to say, ‘You know what? I’m just going to retire,'" said Tomlinson. GM Mike Tannenbaum was noncommittal when asked about LT's return late last week, but did say "I expect him to contribute for another year." Tomlinson promises to be OK with a reduced role. Even at age 32, he'd be the Jets' best option on passing downs. Feb. 3 - 9:39 am et

Source: New York Daily News

I would be okay with him back. He lost the explosiveness late in the season but he still was great catching the ball on checkdowns. If i'm the Jets though I use him sparingly if at all in the early part of the season and then start increasing his role at the end of the season. It also wouldn't hurt if the Jets drafted a back they like. The Jets run the ball so much that it's really not a wasted pick for them. Greene and McKnight still have question marks.

I would be okay with him back. He lost the explosiveness late in the season but he still was great catching the ball on checkdowns. If i'm the Jets though I use him sparingly if at all in the early part of the season and then start increasing his role at the end of the season. It also wouldn't hurt if the Jets drafted a back they like. The Jets run the ball so much that it's really not a wasted pick for them. Greene and McKnight still have question marks.

I think you bring him back. Why wouldnt you? He had value, played well in our 2 playoff wins. He's clearly a leader. Ryan kept TRich around for mostly that reason. I dont see how you cant find room on your roster for LT when you had 2 FB and 4 TE's. He's got to have more value than 3 of those guys.

I think you bring him back. Why wouldnt you? He had value, played well in our 2 playoff wins. He's clearly a leader. Ryan kept TRich around for mostly that reason. I dont see how you cant find room on your roster for LT when you had 2 FB and 4 TE's. He's got to have more value than 3 of those guys.

Up is down, down is up, he says hello when he leaves, goodbye when he arrives.

Given the fact there are so many other free agents and possible holes on this team, why would you create another one? Bring him back as the 3rd down back and make Greene the starter. Work McKnight in more. Boom.

That is why Tannenbaum was quoted that way. He is not creating another hole. LT is here unless they get blown away by a draft pick or FA deal. He's an excellent worst case scenario.

I'd love to see LT come back with a limited role.

Problem is you don't bring LT back in a "limited role". For one, he gets paid too much to be a # 3 back, and also, you don't want to put a veteran like him behind McKnight on the depth chart when he's healthy. Doesn't really do much good in the lockerroom.

Archived