The Jets have two glaring needs to be filled to get to the next level

T0mShane

As I see it, there are two real, persistent roadblocks laying ahead for the Jets next season if they want to upgrade themselves from "very good, tough out" status to "elite contender" status. One major obstacle will be finding a pass rusher to add to a defense that does everything well except sack people without a blitz. The other thing will be to make Mark Sanchez a better, more efficient and consistent player. IMO, there's only one guy who should be available at #30 to help do this. And that's {drumroll please}...

Notre Dame TE Kyle Rudolph.

I know what you're going to say, so I've taken this opportunity to address your concerns in advance.

Q1. But Tom, you moron, we already have a stud TE in Dustin Keller!

Dustin Keller is a lot of things, but he's not a tight end. He's a glorified split end whose production gets deeply hurt when he's forced to play as a traditional TE. He gets banged up, disinterested, and ultimately useless. Look at the first four games (prior to Santonio Holmes' return), when Keller was featured in passing game while the Ben Hartsocks and Mark Mulligans of the world played on the line of scrimmage while Keller was out running routes. In weeks Two and Three (against Miami and NE) he averaged 6+ grabs for 100+ yards, for 16.3 ypc, not to mention scoring 5 TD's over the first four games. After Holmes came back, he didn't get another TD the rest of the YEAR and was invisible for most of it. On top of all that, Keller's blocking is for sh*t and he clearly checks out of games where he's asked to line up and bang with DE's.

In effect, drafting Rudolph improves the Jets at TWO spots, as it will allow Keller to spread out and run past and over safeties while Rudolph does the dirty work inside.

Q2. But Tom, you moron, I hate caucasian tight ends names Kyle!

Kyle Rudolph is NOT Kyle Brady, though his drafting would be reminiscent of our drafting of Brady with Johnny Mitchell already on the roster. Rudolph is an athletic, all-around TE with great hands and that always-elusive "natural feel for the game" that you hear so much about. Rudolph is a very willing (albeit not great--yet) blocker who just-so-happens to run great routes. Brady was, and always was going to be, a blocking TE, and Dustin Keller isn't, and never will be a blocker. Rudolph is a guy who both catches and runs.

Q3. Tom, you moron, how does Kyle Rudolph make Mark Sanchez a better passer?

I can't believe you asked me this question. The Jets have absolutely no one at receiver or TE that has the ability to, or wants to, play underneath. In Holmes and Braylon Edwards and Keller, you have three guys who are at their best running down the field. With Jerricho Cotchery prematurely retired (while in uniform), and LaDainian Tomlinson near death, there is a huge hole in the middle of the field on passing downs that Rudolph can fill immediately. Look what Jason Witten does for Tony Romo, or even what Rob Gronkowski did for Brady in New England--these big receiving TE's give their QB's a safety net to pass it to when the going gets tough (simple routes, simple reads). How many times have we watched Sanchez holding the ball waiting for his receivers to break open down the field? How nice would it be if he had the option of completing a seven-yard pass to a TE who can turn around and get two, three more yards just by falling down? Again, the Jets don't have a single person on their roster capable of achieving this miraculous feat.

Q4. Tom, you moron, there's only one football and we already have five different guys that absolutely need it on offense!

This is where Rudolph's versatility plays in here--he doesn't need the ball thrown to him ten times a game in order to be effective. A good, in-line TE that can also slip out and catch passes helps everyone on offense. It draws safeties up and it pinches coverages back inside the hashes, allowing wideouts to work the sidelines without fear of those safeties getting a head-start into the back half or creeping over toward the sidelines to help out weak corners. In this way, it also helps Sanchez out by giving him easier throws to Braylon and/or Holmes who get to work over corners who have to play honestly without immediate safety help. A good, true TE also keeps LB's honest because their first step is no longer toward the line of scrimmage. Instead, they have to commit to chipping on the TE to keep him from having a clean release, or to get back in coverage to prevent a quick-hitter to the seam. And, because Rudolph can block, ILB's and DE's now have the threat of getting cracked. Do you think there's a LB or DE in the league that's afraid of Dustin Keller pancaking them? Imagine the impact on the running game that having a multiple-threat TE would provide, with a defense (especially the front seven) having to account for a true TE.

Q5. Tom, you moron, you already said that a pass rusher was our biggest need? Is Kyle Rudolph going to play OLB too? Duh.

Quite frankly, it doesn't look like there are going to be any ace pass rushers available at #30. This a weak draft for those skill position players that would have otherwise pushed a dynamic DE/OLB prospect down the draft board. With only two legit first-round QB's and only one legit first-round RB, so any prospect who even looks like they're going to get an NFL sack anytime soon is going to be plucked earlier than they probably should. That includes guys like Justin Houston and Akeem Ayers, Ryan Kerrigan, etc. Hell, even a dark horse (/nocoding) like Jabaal Sheard could find himself drafted in the 20's. Unless Rex pinpoints a guy that he believes he can turn into Terrell Suggs sneaks his way down the draft boards, you're talking about reaching for a guy that would ordinarily be available in the third round. Add in the "Clay Matthews Effect"--where every GM is now paranoid that they're going to miss out on the next great rush LB because of iffy measurables, and there's going to be a feeding frenzy on OLB/DE's who have a pulse.

Q6. Tom, you moron, Kyle Rudolph was injured in college AND not especially productive. Jason Witten MY a$$!

This is true--Rudolph missed three games as a sophomore because of a shoulder injury and then missed seven more last year after a brutal hamstring injury, which is the only reason he might be available at #30 in the first place. The only counter to this is the fact that he showed up to his Pro Day in great shape and checked out physically, then ran a 4.78/40 with a hamstring he described as being at 80% recovered. Clearly, he's no pussy. As for the lack of production, Notre Dame sucks and their QB's are always brutal.

You know why I like you Tom?

There are moments like this when you say things that I've thought. I like Rudolph a whole lot as a TE prospect, and his game compliments Keller very well. I've CONSIDERED mocking him at 30, but I lack balls.

Very well thought out post and coitainly serves as new food for thought...I've been eating alot of the "must draft DL" and "must get super amazing pass rusher!" that's been served this offseason, and it's very refreshing to see a new idea presented.

Another way to look at Rudolph is that drafting him means you've drafted the unquestioned #1 TE in this draft. Draft a front 7 guy or a safety and there's a whole lot more debate still open...you're definitely not even getting a top 5 DL...and the first safety taken is probably a mid-2nd rounder...

Just to summarize:

Plusses:

- Better natural route runner than Keller.

- Better on-field athlete.

- Bigger.

- Better blocker coming out of college.

Cons:

- Not the pass rusher who will change the D.

- Fans will hate it. Isn't one TE enough for that useless position?

But Tom, you moron...

There are moments like this when you say things that I've thought. I like Rudolph a whole lot as a TE prospect, and his game compliments Keller very well. I've CONSIDERED mocking him at 30, but I lack balls.

Tom has plenty of balls... they just aren't his!

If he's BAP fine, but I don't see TE as a need at all. Mulligan is fine and so is Keller. Cumberland is obviously somebody they value. If, as you say, Keller's lack of production came from Holmes taking his shots away, that will probably be fixed by not having Holmes or Edwards in '11. He'll see more touches. I think OL will be more of a need, but most shy away because of the Ducasse pick. I don't even think DLine is that much of a need. I think they like Pitoitua, MTV, Dixon and Gilbert. It's almost impossible to predict needs without knowing how FA would pan out, so it's more of a crap shoot than ever.

Very well thought out post and coitainly serves as new food for thought...I've been eating alot of the "must draft DL" and "must get super amazing pass rusher!" that's been served this offseason, and it's very refreshing to see a new idea presented.

Another way to look at Rudolph is that drafting him means you've drafted the unquestioned #1 TE in this draft. Draft a front 7 guy or a safety and there's a whole lot more debate still open...you're definitely not even getting a top 5 DL...and the first safety taken is probably a mid-2nd rounder...

Just to summarize:

Plusses:

- Better natural route runner than Keller.

- Better on-field athlete.

- Bigger.

- Better blocker coming out of college.

Cons:

- Not the pass rusher who will change the D.

- Fans will hate it. Isn't one TE enough for that useless position?

Word, bro. Because of the lack of QB's and RB's in this draft, that first round is basically going to be 32 teams reaching to draft the next Clay Matthews and Jason Pierre-Paul. I just don't see that big-time pass-rusher dropping this year. Given that, like you said, the Jets are going to be picking from the scraps of that feeding frenzy to grab a guy from an already questionable lot.

I dont see why rudolph is better than luke stocker. They do need another TE but i like Lee Smith Marshall... probably 6 or 7 rounds later than rudolph

Similar measurables doesn't mean similar player. Especially at tight end, where the difference between a good one and a bad one is in their understanding of the game and their instincts. A lot of guys are better athletes than Jason Witten, and yet Jason Witten is great.

If he's BAP fine, but I don't see TE as a need at all. Mulligan is fine and so is Keller. Cumberland is obviously somebody they value. If, as you say, Keller's lack of production came from Holmes taking his shots away, that will probably be fixed by not having Holmes or Edwards in '11. He'll see more touches. I think OL will be more of a need, but most shy away because of the Ducasse pick. I don't even think DLine is that much of a need. I think they like Pitoitua, MTV, Dixon and Gilbert. It's almost impossible to predict needs without knowing how FA would pan out, so it's more of a crap shoot than ever.

I know that TE isn't necessarily a need, but making Mark Sanchez a better, more consistent player ASAP is definitely a need that I think Rudolph addresses instantly. No one on the roster can work underneath in the passing game and be a threat, and I think that hurts Sanchez a great deal--no QB is going to look especially efficient if every receiver he has needs to play the game 12-15 yards down the field. Even Cumberland is that kind of guy--a converted wideout who can run, and a huge project at that. Look at it this way, if Rudolph stays healthy, he'll give the Jets more production right away than any other player you're going to find at #30. He'll play TE, he'll free up Keller, he'll block and he'll make plays in the passing game. You draft a project DE and try to make him a linebacker, this year is a wash for that guy. You draft the 3rd (4th?) best tackle in this draft at #30 and he's likely not beating out Ducasse/Hunter anyway.

if they want to help mark they should take Leonard Hankerson or Jon Baldwin. for whatever reason Mark doesn't even look at Keller most of the time. I don't know why that is but he seems to look for the WR more than the TE.

I agree with the idea of not reaching for a DE and looking best available player instead. But I just don't know if TE is the BAP at 30. Cornerback could be the BAP (Jimmy Smith). WR could be the BAP.

if they want to help mark they should take Leonard Hankerson or Jon Baldwin. for whatever reason Mark doesn't even look at Keller most of the time. I don't know why that is but he seems to look for the WR more than the TE.

I agree with the idea of not reaching for a DE and looking best available player instead. But I just don't know if TE is the BAP at 30. Cornerback could be the BAP (Jimmy Smith). WR could be the BAP.

Hankerson and Baldwin are running downfield. They already have plenty of guys who can do that, who can only do that. The way Rudolph helps Mark is by giving him a legit underneath option, which helps everybody. IMO, getting another developmental CB or WR doesn't get the team to the next level. At CB, they're going to have to go with Kyle Wilson if Cromartie leaves. Rex has certainly done more with less at both CB and safety.

I blame Schottenheimer. I am not a Schotty basher. In fact I may be his #2 defender after Gato. OTOH, we have NEVER used the TE much with him here. Baker, Franks, may not have been the best receivers, but it seems like they are either the #1 option on quick hits or hardly involved. I think they should work on having Mark look to the TE in his progression, but it doesn't seem to be the case. More late release stuff. It seems the only time the TE gets used is when they make a concerted effort to feed him the ball early. Pennington couldn't throw downfield OR outs and he still hardly used the TE. I think it's more scheme than personnel.

Moron, you didn't really answer question 5. Where is the pass rush coming from next year? You make a good point about teams reaching for pass rush, but while that may turn out to be true, we're still stuck with Bryan Thomas and Pace in that scenario. Maybe Pace actually plays an entire season and doesn't break his foot. Thats a big gamble IMO.

Tom, you moron.

I see what you did there. :D

I blame Schottenheimer. I am not a Schotty basher. In fact I may be his #2 defender after Gato. OTOH, we have NEVER used the TE much with him here. Baker, Franks, may not have been the best receivers, but it seems like they are either the #1 option on quick hits or hardly involved. I think they should work on having Mark look to the TE in his progression, but it doesn't seem to be the case. More late release stuff. It seems the only time the TE gets used is when they make a concerted effort to feed him the ball early. Pennington couldn't throw downfield OR outs and he still hardly used the TE. I think it's more scheme than personnel.

I think there were games where the ball made its way to the tight end pretty well--specifically the early Miami and NE games--where the offense was really clicking. I agree, though, that Schottenmoron wants to turn everything into Air Coryell and whip it down the field. Remember when they first made the trade for Braylon and spent the following month ruining Sanchez's confidence by having him run a vertical offense? Good times. Good times.

Moron, you didn't really answer question 5. Where is the pass rush coming from next year? You make a good point about teams reaching for pass rush, but while that may turn out to be true, we're still stuck with Bryan Thomas and Pace in that scenario. Maybe Pace actually plays an entire season and doesn't break his foot. Thats a big gamble IMO.

I don't think you're really getting anybody at #30 who instantly fixes the pass rush, anyway. All those guys are going to get pushed up due to the lack of QB's and RB's, so whatever end/OLB you're picking is essentially a reach. I think they should address OLB in free agency as best they can, and at some point later in this draft. But to burn a first on the 5th, 6th best OLB prospect? Meh.

Kellers' stats in his first 3 years stack well with other top tier TEs...he just hasn't made the next level leap yet. I thought it was going to happen last year after his awesome catch against SD in the '09 playoffs, but it didn't. He drops his share of passes, is kind of clunky, and it took over 2 years for him to "confuse" people on the field by also being able to block.

I don't think they traded up in the first for Keller to not use him...he's just kind of been slow to develop so far. I'm fdown for Rudolph because the two TE system is QB and offense friendly as hell.

Here's my problem with going after a guy like Rudolph in the first round. To me, you're filling a non-first round need with a first round player, even if you think he should be drafted in round one. Tight ends tend to get drafted in the first round because they can stretch the seam and make plays downfield. Gronkowski and Witten are really good all-around tight ends, but they were second, third round guys. The all around tight ends you can get outside of the first round, just not this year because it's a really weak TE class. While there are certainly better underneath options than others at the position and it would help Sanchez, are you really going to draft a guy in round 1 to run those security blanket routes? It just seems illogical to me, like drafting a run stuffing DE in the first round because you want to improve your run defense. Yeah, it helps your team, but defensive ends go in the first round because they can rush the passer. I just think you can fill that role in the second, third round. Maybe not this year, but still. Or a slot receiver would do the same thing, doesn't provide the size but it does give a nice underneath option. I'm a fan of the two TE offense too, but I wonder how that would go the way this team is put together. Do you run just a 1 WR set or take Terminator off the field? I don't really see it being a base package unless they only want to re-sign Holmes or Edwards. I get that it's a different role and it could work out in terms of spreading the ball around, but only 5 guys who aren't QB's or lineman can get on the field and there's pretty much always going to be a RB, and it appears that a FB and at least 1 WR will be on the field most of the time as well...

Also, FWIW, Cotchery played with a herniated disk this season. So a) he's one tough SOB, and B) he should hopefully come back improved next year. It was definitely an uncharacteristically bad year for him, particularly with the drops, but now we know why and I think it's cool that he played through it all year and this didn't come out till after the season (though hopefully there's no crap about not putting this on injury reports).

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6251142&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Here's my problem with going after a guy like Rudolph in the first round. To me, you're filling a non-first round need with a first round player, even if you think he should be drafted in round one. Tight ends tend to get drafted in the first round because they can stretch the seam and make plays downfield. Gronkowski and Witten are really good all-around tight ends, but they were second, third round guys. The all around tight ends you can get outside of the first round, just not this year because it's a really weak TE class. While there are certainly better underneath options than others at the position and it would help Sanchez, are you really going to draft a guy in round 1 to run those security blanket routes? It just seems illogical to me, like drafting a run stuffing DE in the first round because you want to improve your run defense. Yeah, it helps your team, but defensive ends go in the first round because they can rush the passer. I just think you can fill that role in the second, third round. Maybe not this year, but still. Or a slot receiver would do the same thing, doesn't provide the size but it does give a nice underneath option. I'm a fan of the two TE offense too, but I wonder how that would go the way this team is put together. Do you run just a 1 WR set or take Terminator off the field? I don't really see it being a base package unless they only want to re-sign Holmes or Edwards. I get that it's a different role and it could work out in terms of spreading the ball around, but only 5 guys who aren't QB's or lineman can get on the field and there's pretty much always going to be a RB, and it appears that a FB and at least 1 WR will be on the field most of the time as well...

Also, FWIW, Cotchery played with a herniated disk this season. So a) he's one tough SOB, and B) he should hopefully come back improved next year. It was definitely an uncharacteristically bad year for him, particularly with the drops, but now we know why and I think it's cool that he played through it all year and this didn't come out till after the season (though hopefully there's no crap about not putting this on injury reports).

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6251142&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

All good points, derp. My retort would be that Rudolph's value to the Jets is increased in that he helps Sanchez right away because he's a big, traditional TE, and the Jets are in position to win big now if Sanchez improves and/or they find a pass rusher. My contention is that the pass rusher won't be available at #30 this year. Keller would essentially assume Cotchery's position, and would also take snaps away from Conner but, really, is that such a big deal? Rudolph also alleviates some stress should the likely event occur that either Braylon or Santonio leaves. Keller gets split out as the H-Back (where he makes his money anyway) while Rudolph is an actual receiving threat, unlike Matt Mulligan or Hartsock. It'll make the defense work harder, which will make Mark's life easier.

That said, the Jets are going to draft the best DE available so this is all moot. lol

All good points, derp. My retort would be that Rudolph's value to the Jets is increased in that he helps Sanchez right away because he's a big, traditional TE, and the Jets are in position to win big now if Sanchez improves and/or they find a pass rusher. My contention is that the pass rusher won't be available at #30 this year. Keller would essentially assume Cotchery's position, and would also take snaps away from Conner but, really, is that such a big deal? Rudolph also alleviates some stress should the likely event occur that either Braylon or Santonio leaves. Keller gets split out as the H-Back (where he makes his money anyway) while Rudolph is an actual receiving threat, unlike Matt Mulligan or Hartsock. It'll make the defense work harder, which will make Mark's life easier.

That said, the Jets are going to draft the best DE available so this is all moot. lol

That's all entirely fair, but I don't think that really changes the argument against it based on value of a player like that at a similar position. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm against taking Rudolph at all or even with the Jets' first pick, but based on value of a player like him at the TE position (particularly coming off of a bit of an injury) I'd really only be comfortable with it in a trade down. Otherwise you really end up reaching to fill a "need", even if it's not a conventional one and more of a role need. Think that's a less than ideal situation.

For instance, the value of a classic old-school fullback who can do the dirty work and block is more valuable to a team like the Jets that still runs the ball than most teams who like to spread it out. Doesn't mean they should take one earlier than value dictates, though.

Hankerson and Baldwin are running downfield. They already have plenty of guys who can do that, who can only do that. The way Rudolph helps Mark is by giving him a legit underneath option, which helps everybody. IMO, getting another developmental CB or WR doesn't get the team to the next level. At CB, they're going to have to go with Kyle Wilson if Cromartie leaves. Rex has certainly done more with less at both CB and safety.

Who do they have that can run downfield? You are counting on Edwards and Holmes? Right now they have Cotchery, Patrick Turner and Logan Payne under contract. I don't think any corners are on their heels worried about any of them blowing by. It may well be cheaper and smarter to take a WR and let one of those guys go. They can use a portion of the money they save to sign a decent 3 down TE.

Where did it come from in 2009 and 2010? The D was better than the O. #30 isn't going to be a sure thing as a pass rusher. I understand wanting one, but I also understand wanting the #1 TE over the #5-6 or whatever pass rusher.

That's all entirely fair, but I don't think that really changes the argument against it based on value of a player like that at a similar position. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm against taking Rudolph at all or even with the Jets' first pick, but based on value of a player like him at the TE position (particularly coming off of a bit of an injury) I'd really only be comfortable with it in a trade down. Otherwise you really end up reaching to fill a "need", even if it's not a conventional one and more of a role need. Think that's a less than ideal situation.

For instance, the value of a classic old-school fullback who can do the dirty work and block is more valuable to a team like the Jets that still runs the ball than most teams who like to spread it out. Doesn't mean they should take one earlier than value dictates, though.

Gotcha. I would love the trade down in this draft in any scenario, really, because it appears that everybody predicted to be available this year at #30 would, in past years, be a late second, third rounder based simply on the question marks regarding their abilities and production. You've never gotten the elite-elite prospects at the bottom of the first (obviously), but it doesn't seem like there's a Ray Lewis or Ed Reed (who had the production), or an Aaron Rodgers (unless Ryan Mallett proves he's not a psycho). I've seen Rudolph in mocks as high as 22-23, and as low as 47, so #30 is close to his draft slot, and as far as positional value to the Jets, I think that position, filled with that player, is more important to the Jets than it might be to another team because it helps Sanchez. So, if you're reaching at all, you're getting value both as a BPA and to fill a need. Now, is this a "need" I created in my head? Perhaps.

Who do they have that can run downfield? You are counting on Edwards and Holmes? Right now they have Cotchery, Patrick Turner and Logan Payne under contract. I don't think any corners are on their heels worried about any of them blowing by. It may well be cheaper and smarter to take a WR and let one of those guys go. They can use a portion of the money they save to sign a decent 3 down TE.

If'n they lose both Edwards and Holmes, their whole draft is FUBAR anyway. I am basing my premise on the assumption that we sign at least one, if not both (Yay, Mikey CPA!). Also, Hankerson and Baldwin apparently aren't getting picked in the first round, based on every mock draft you see. Both are major projects.

If'n they lose both Edwards and Holmes, their whole draft is FUBAR anyway. I am basing my premise on the assumption that we sign at least one, if not both (Yay, Mikey CPA!). Also, Hankerson and Baldwin apparently aren't getting picked in the first round, based on every mock draft you see. Both are major projects.

3rd WR > TE

IMO that is the pecking order. Even if they sign Edwards or Holmes they will need another WR. Brad Smith is probably gone too and not much of a WR threat anyway. We'll see what's left and who is worth what.

3rd WR > TE

IMO that is the pecking order. Even if they sign Edwards or Holmes they will need another WR. Brad Smith is probably gone too and not much of a WR threat anyway. We'll see what's left and who is worth what.

I'm slow. Are you saying that adding a WR in the third round helps the team more than drafting the top TE? If so, POPPYCOCK! I say. POPPYCOOOOOCK!

*I'm assuming that you're implying that the Jets draft a DE at #30 and then the WR in round three, as opposed to my idea of drafting the TE at #30 and then the best available DL in round three, amirite?

Gotcha. I would love the trade down in this draft in any scenario, really, because it appears that everybody predicted to be available this year at #30 would, in past years, be a late second, third rounder based simply on the question marks regarding their abilities and production. You've never gotten the elite-elite prospects at the bottom of the first (obviously), but it doesn't seem like there's a Ray Lewis or Ed Reed (who had the production), or an Aaron Rodgers (unless Ryan Mallett proves he's not a psycho). I've seen Rudolph in mocks as high as 22-23, and as low as 47, so #30 is close to his draft slot, and as far as positional value to the Jets, I think that position, filled with that player, is more important to the Jets than it might be to another team because it helps Sanchez. So, if you're reaching at all, you're getting value both as a BPA and to fill a need. Now, is this a "need" I created in my head? Perhaps.

Yeah I like the trade down too, TBH. I know Tannenbaum's philosophy is quality over quantity, but I tend to think that there are "tiers" in a draft where there's a group of players that are all similar quality. This draft I think unless somebody falls there's not going to be a large difference between somebody who's going to be there at 30 or somebody in the mid-second.

Rudolph's an interesting one to debate because he's a first rounder because he's a tight end capable of stretching the seam and getting downfield, but the role you're trying to fill here is a guy to run short-intermediate routes and be a safety valve for the most part. I just wonder if a guy like Zack Pianalto or another mid-late round TE (this is an admittedly weak class) who isn't quite the athlete Rudolph is could fill that role sufficiently and you could get somebody else at 30 to fill a different role.

I'm slow. Are you saying that adding a WR in the third round helps the team more than drafting the top TE? If so, POPPYCOCK! I say. POPPYCOOOOOCK!

*I'm assuming that you're implying that the Jets draft a DE at #30 and then the WR in round three, as opposed to my idea of drafting the TE at #30 and then the best available DL in round three, amirite?

..but T0m you moron, that is NOT what I am saying. I am saying that a third WR is more important than ANY TE. I'm not one of the we need a front 7 guys. I'm not in love with the Jets front 7, but they are servicable at worst. If you assume that the Jets are going to keep one and lose one between Edwards/Holmes, I think it will most likely be cheaper AND preferable to draft a WR and grab a FA TE than vice versa. I'm not as familiar with the players this year as I usually am. IMO, your indictment of Hankerson and Baldwin would be the reason not to draft them, not the needs of the position.

Dustin Keller can be the slot

He has been on the Jets for 3 years and has not been effective in the slot yet as far as I can tell. No reason to expect that now.

• 2 weeks later...

I really really would like to take Rudolph at #30. With the increased likelihood that we will be without either Holmes or Edwards next year, we need to go back to relying on our good ole fashioned ground and pound. We played this way during both of our playoff runs, and simply put having two good pass catching TE's will make it easier for us to scheme with. Last year we got too caught up into trying to create this wide-open spread offense, while also keeping Rex happy by running the ball because that was the way our offense was put together. With either Edwards or Holmes gone we will still be fine on the outside and will have an actual identity on offense. With Rudolph we will many more safe throws intermediate throws for Sanchez, I think that will translate into more a Patriots style of efficient offense with better players...

I saw this guy play in maybe the only college game I watched all last year and I liked him. He's the guy that had the great chemistry with his QB, whoever he was-they were like best friends and clearly worked a lot together. I am pretty sure by the time the last pick is announced the Jets WILL have a new TE on the roster.

Archived