New York Jets select DT Muhammad Wilkerson

JetNation

With the 30th pick in the 2011 NFL draft the New York Jets have selected defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson (Temple).  Wilkerson, who is from Linden, New Jersey, should provide the Jets with a powerful presence in the middle of their defensive line which will free up linebackers David Harris and Bart Scott.

Analysis from NFLDraftScout.com

Pass rush: Overwhelms college tackles with size and strength, then chases down quarterbacks with his length and nimble feet. Lacks a quick first step, but flashes a swim move and closing speed to the passer. Feels cut blocks, keeps his hands involved and watches for the quick throw in his direction. Must improve his hand usage to consistently get off blocks inside. Eats up multiple blockers on inside twists to free up other defensive linemen. Effective bull-rushing college tackles when coming from outside the tackle, but rarely pushes back interior linemen. Not sudden or flexible enough to get the corner.

Run defense: Agile five-technique who lines up on either side of the formation. Patient and keeps his eyes in the backfield to contain; very solid in his outside assignment. Comes off outside path or double teams inside to spin/shed, catching back running through the hole. Uses shoulder to hold off blockers while slanting into the backfield. Not exceptional change-of-direction agility but his length allows him to get a hand on ballcarriers trying to get through the hole. Not a dominating interior player despite his size. NFL blockers will win the leverage battle until he gets stronger and more physical inside.

Explosion: Has the potential to be very explosive off the snap, but comes off a bit slow and must use his strength to pop into the chest of blockers. Can utilize his strength and length to hit hard and squeeze the football from a ballcarrier.

Strength: Flashes strong hands, playing with leverage, and the ability to push off linemen to make tackles. Gets stood up at the line too often instead of bull-rushing his man backward or pushing his way through the double-team.

Tackling: Tall, thick frame and long arms make him difficult to avoid in tight quarters and to shed once latched on. Gets a lot of tackles with hustle, keeps his feet moving when chasing from behind. Lacks superior straight-line speed but gives excellent effort to the sideline. Must drop his hips to bring down more elusive pro ballcarriers.

Intangibles: Plays a lot of snaps given his size but gives good effort throughout the game. Attended Hargrave Military Academy. Temple’s defensive MVP in 2010. No known character issues.

This was a smart pick by the Jets, who surprisingly had several players fall into their lap including Da’Quan Bowers and Cameron Heyward.  The second round will be loaded with quality defensive players, but Gang Green traded away that pick for Antonio Cromartie.  Keep an eye on the Patriots as they have stockpiled a ton of picks.

di</img>di</img>

1HE5Jq5_FIs

View the full article

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late Thursday night New York Jets first round pick Muhammad Wilkerson addressed the media.  Here is the transcript courtesy of the Jets.

On how it felt to be drafted by the Jets…

I thought it was going to happen. I had a great visit when I went to visit the Jets and did the workout for them and when that 30th pick came around, I just had that feeling that they were going to pick me up.

On how playing in a Rex Ryan defense suits his game…

Pretty much just playing physical and playing strong, pretty much just be very destructive. At the end of the day I am just going to work hard every play.

On where he was when he heard the news…

Back in Linden, New Jersey, at a restaurant where I had some close family and friends watch the draft with me.

On how many family and friends he had with him…

Probably about 80 or 90 guests.

On if he grew up a Jets fan…

I didn’t grow up a Jets fan, but right now I am a Jet. I am proud. I’m happy.

On how he can fit into Rex Ryan’s defense…

Pretty much just very versatile, I can move along the line (and) play any position (on the) defensive line. That’s a credit to Temple playing in a 4-3 and a 3-4. It helped me out and I can fit in with whatever they need to be done at any position.

On what during his visit with the Jets gave him a good feeling about being drafted by them…

Pretty much just the workout. They saw me work out and Rex sounded excited. Pretty much just talking to Rex. He’s a very serious guy. We talked and he pretty much said, “We like you and if you come here you just have to be strong and be ready to work day in and day out.”

On gaining a lot of weight at Temple…

In my freshman and sophomore year I was about 290, 295 and then when I got to my junior year my coach wanted me to be about 305. Putting on weight is no problem.

On being local…

I’m glad, being here is good because I have family and friends that are close and can come and watch me play.

On the Jets defense already in place…

That’s a tremendous defense that they have over there and I’m glad to be a part of it. I think I can come in and help the defense be even more destructive than it is.

On coming from the MAC and being ready for the NFL…

I think it’s no problem. Guys are very successful now coming from the MAC. The talent level is just as good as any other conference. Coming into the National Football League, it wouldn’t concern me coming from the MAC.

di</img>di</img>

zFFnBRtE9eU

View the full article

heres a write up i did on this player, about a week prior to draft.

Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple – up 51% to $1,320 (#24 overall up from #37)

Why has Muhammad Wilkerson risen so far and so fast? In a word: versatility.

This is a player that appeals to every defense in the league, whether it’s a 3-4 or a 4-3. He can play the nose. He can line up as a 3-tech in a Cover-2. He can shade the outside of the tackle as a 5-tech. To be able to project in all these roles is rare, and is the single strongest reason for his rise up draft boards.

Timing is another reason for Wilkerson’s rise. Being an underclassman from a program that is not often on national television, scouts usually need time to catch up on film for these types of players. For most teams the evaluation on Wilkerson might not have begun in earnest until January of 2011, which is late compared to other prospects. As they processed the film, his stock started to rise.

As a player, Wilkerson has his pros and cons like many prospects. On the plus side he’s able to take on double teams, hold the point of attack and make the play on the ball carrier. He’s not just a run stuffer, he’s also a productive pass rusher with 15 career sacks. This is a high number for a 300 pound player and again, rare to be able to do both stop the run and rush the pass. Most prospects excel in one or the other, it’s rare to find a player who can do both very well. In pass rush, Wilkerson uses a great first step and violent hand play to overwhelm pass blockers.

On the downside, scouts say he’s prone to “play high” (lacking ideal hip placement) and they are worried about his level of competition in the MAC. As a junior he has strength concerns (requiring development in a program) and isn’t the greatest in pursuit. But none of these concerns are unfixable and most NFL defensive coaches would love to have this player on their squad.

"That’s a tremendous defense that they have over there and I’m glad to be a part of it. I think I can come in and help the defense be even more destructive than it is."

I like this pick. I also hope the jets package the two thirds to get into the second rd for an edge rusher. It will be nice to have some young guys on the D line again. Good pick IMO

heres a write up i did on this player, about a week prior to draft.

Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple – up 51% to $1,320 (#24 overall up from #37)

Why has Muhammad Wilkerson risen so far and so fast? In a word: versatility.

This is a player that appeals to every defense in the league, whether it’s a 3-4 or a 4-3. He can play the nose. He can line up as a 3-tech in a Cover-2. He can shade the outside of the tackle as a 5-tech. To be able to project in all these roles is rare, and is the single strongest reason for his rise up draft boards.

Timing is another reason for Wilkerson’s rise. Being an underclassman from a program that is not often on national television, scouts usually need time to catch up on film for these types of players. For most teams the evaluation on Wilkerson might not have begun in earnest until January of 2011, which is late compared to other prospects. As they processed the film, his stock started to rise.

As a player, Wilkerson has his pros and cons like many prospects. On the plus side he’s able to take on double teams, hold the point of attack and make the play on the ball carrier. He’s not just a run stuffer, he’s also a productive pass rusher with 15 career sacks. This is a high number for a 300 pound player and again, rare to be able to do both stop the run and rush the pass. Most prospects excel in one or the other, it’s rare to find a player who can do both very well. In pass rush, Wilkerson uses a great first step and violent hand play to overwhelm pass blockers.

On the downside, scouts say he’s prone to “play high” (lacking ideal hip placement) and they are worried about his level of competition in the MAC. As a junior he has strength concerns (requiring development in a program) and isn’t the greatest in pursuit. But none of these concerns are unfixable and most NFL defensive coaches would love to have this player on their squad.

Great write up Bit. I love this kid for his versatility. If you watch film on him, he's relentless. High motor and can get after both the ball carrier and the runner.

You're "play high" comment is pretty accurate from what I've seen. He can get stood up sometimes because he's tall and does play high. But as I said in another thread, I think Rex teaches technique on the DL better than anyone in the league and all the knocks that I've heard surrounding this player are totally fixable.

Very excited to have him. He's exactly the player we need for this DL and what Rex likes to do.

Great write up Bit. I love this kid for his versatility.

thanks Jif... i didn't note it in the write up but 15 career sacks in 3 years (Wilkerson is 21) is better than many other prospects.

Cam Jordan and Cam Heyward had 13 sacks in 4 years. JJ Watt had 11 in 2 at Wisconsin. Phil Taylor had 5 sacks in 3 years.

Basically we have to look at true DE like Von Miller or Kerrigan to find more productive pass rusher than Wilkerson. It's a high upside pick and it helps the pass rush without a blitz problem. And it helps the run defense. Tall order to fill all those needs at 30 but yet again the Jets did a great job.

one more note Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton at Jacksonville another Temple DT 3rd rounder in 2009 came out like gangbusters as a rookie... kinda out of nowhere. Wilkerson from all accounts is better prospect than "Pot Roast"

I'd wouldn't mind a move up for an olb or safety as long as it does not come at the expense of next years picks

That's the only way to move up. Trading the rest of this year's draft only gets us up about 10-12 spots in the third round.

this is a totally unprofessional comment (therefore perfect for JN) I asked a really good friend of mine what they thought of the pick and they said "Muhammad Wilkerson doesn't have time for a slave name. sounds like a dude that will kick your a$$" lol

thanks Jif... i didn't note it in the write up but 15 career sacks in 3 years (Wilkerson is 21) is better than many other prospects.

Cam Jordan and Cam Heyward had 13 sacks in 4 years. JJ Watt had 11 in 2 at Wisconsin. Phil Taylor had 5 sacks in 3 years.

Basically we have to look at true DE like Von Miller or Kerrigan to find more productive pass rusher than Wilkerson. It's a high upside pick and it helps the pass rush without a blitz problem. And it helps the run defense. Tall order to fill all those needs at 30 but yet again the Jets did a great job.

one more note Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton at Jacksonville another Temple DT 3rd rounder in 2009 came out like gangbusters as a rookie... kinda out of nowhere. Wilkerson from all accounts is better prospect than "Pot Roast"

I'm familiar with Pot Roast living in Jax and I agree...Wilkerson is a much better prospect. Thinks its a great value at 30.

Mayock compared him to Trevor Pryce.

Thats exactly who reminds me off.

Great write up Bit. I love this kid for his versatility. If you watch film on him, he's relentless. High motor and can get after both the ball carrier and the runner.

You're "play high" comment is pretty accurate from what I've seen. He can get stood up sometimes because he's tall and does play high. But as I said in another thread, I think Rex teaches technique on the DL better than anyone in the league and all the knocks that I've heard surrounding this player are totally fixable.

Very excited to have him. He's exactly the player we need for this DL and what Rex likes to do.

He plays tall because of the wing span that he has. Once he understands how to use leverage to his advantage more, he should become a more productive player.

I was going to ask what you guys though of this pick but obviously most are happy with it. I am going to admit that I didn't pay much attention this year and I was hoping that Bowers was the pick when the Jets were on the clock (I was even a Gholston supporter....boy was I wrong). Now after a little research I am very happy with this pick. My question now is what do you think happens with Ellis and Jenkins?

He plays tall because of the wing span that he has. Once he understands how to use leverage to his advantage more, he should become a more productive player.

Like I've been saying, nobody teaches technique better than Rex.

As far as production, the dude had 70 tackles and 10 sacks on the DL his senior year. It doesnt get more productive than that for his position.

Ellis asked for an extension and didn't get it. He cleaned out his locker. he's gone.

Awww. That brings a tear to my eye. Ellis deserves another year, just for his performance against the Pats in the playoffs. I think we should try to get him and big Jenks back for cheaper if possible, even if it's just to mentor Wilkerson.

Awww. That brings a tear to my eye. Ellis deserves another year, if not just for his performance against the Pats in the playoffs. I think we should try to get him and big Jenks back for cheaper if possible, even if it's just to mentor Wilkerson.

I too would like to see Ellis back. I would HATE to see him in NE this year

That's a damned shame. I couldn't think of a better player to mentor Wilkerson.

I don't really buy into the 'mentor' situation, especially when they draft a dude to replace you... it's way more rarer than people realize... guys like Chad are the exception.

sometimes it becomes toxic and they do anything possible to make sure he fails. Why is it in Shaun Ellis' best interest to help Wilkerson put him out of a job?

I really like the pick. Great combination of talent, need, and value.

I hope Ellis would be back, but this does give the Jets 3 legitimate 300lbs in the starting Dline. Elis, even at his best, is "only" 285lbs.

And, yes, MoWilk was drafted to be a Day 1 starter. The Jets really have no other choice with only DeVito and Pouha under contract.

I don't really buy into the 'mentor' situation, especially when they draft a dude to replace you... it's way more rarer than people realize... guys like Chad are the exception.

sometimes it becomes toxic and they do anything possible to make sure he fails. Why is it in Shaun Ellis' best interest to help Wilkerson put him out of a job?

Chad's the exception? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he did first to Clemens, and then to Henne. He didn't mentor sh*t.

As far as Ellis, forget even mentoring, it would be nice to have him back, if for no other reason than insurance in case Wilkerson isn't ready to start from day one and even if so, helping with DL depth, which the Jets have little to none until Dixon and Pitoitua prove otherwise. Unfortunately, I just don't expect there's much of a chance it's going to happen.

I really like the pick. Great combination of talent, need, and value.

I hope Ellis would be back, but this does give the Jets 3 legitimate 300lbs in the starting Dline. Elis, even at his best, is "only" 285lbs.

And, yes, MoWilk was drafted to be a Day 1 starter. The Jets really have no other choice with only DeVito and Pouha under contract.

Don't forget about Pitoitua and Dixon.

Gilbert at end and MTV on the nose too. Lots of young guys the staff seems to like, but they all have question marks right now obviously.

Good points about them as well. The staff is very high on Dixon aren't they? I know they were high on Pitoitua but we'll have to see how well he comes back from the injury. If Pitoitua and Wilkerson can contribute this year that would be a pretty stout DL.

Archived