Cimini: Could the Jets target Panthers WR Smith?

flgreen

Could the Jets target Panthers WR Smith?

May, 6, 2011

May 6

4:23

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

What will the Jets do at wide receiver if they lose Santonio Holmes and/or Braylon Edwards?

You know for certain that GM Mike Tannenbaum has a plan, and his plan probably has contingencies for the contingencies. He likely would try to acquire a No. 1 or No. 2 receiver and, unless he goes the bad-boy route (Terrell Owens or Randy Moss), the answer isn't going to come from a watered-down unrestricted-free-agent market.

Which means a trade, and that means you should keep an eye on Steve Smith of the Panthers.

Smith reportedly wants to be traded from Carolina, the only team he has known. Presumably, he's worn down by the losing and he apparently thrilled with the idea of starting over with a rookie QB, Cam Newton, the No. 1 overall pick.

Smith, like most receivers, is a bit of a diva, but the Jets like collecting big games and Rex Ryan believes he can coach anybody. The Jets have a good relationship with the Panthers, having made deals before. (See: Kris Jenkins, 2008.)

In 2008, Smith was one of the best receivers in the league (1,421 yards and an 18.2 average), but his numbers dropped the past two years -- although much of that could be attributed to the Panthers' terrible offense and instability at quarterback.

Potential downsides to Smith? He turns 32 in a week and he has two years and a reported $14.75 million remaining on his contract. That's big money. If the Jets are willing to pay that much, they should just give it to one of their own.

Obviously, the Jets are confident they can retain Holmes or Edwards because they didn't pick a receiver, Jeremy Kerley, until the fifth round. But maybe Tannenbaum did that because he's confident he could pull something out of the trade market, if necessary -- maybe someone like Smith.

What do you think? Would Smith be a good fit for the Jets?

Potential downsides to Smith? He turns 32 in a week and he has two years and a reported $14.75 million remaining on his contract. That's big money. If the Jets are willing to pay that much, they should just give it to one of their own.

Another potential downside might be his slipping production. Sure, he has QB issues over there, but he is getting up there in years, too.

He'd have to agree to a major pay cut and/or come extremely cheap (less than the 5th rounder they gave up for Santonio) for me to be interested.

No way are the Jets going to pay that much to a 32 year old receiver. Braylon has been good here but he might lose his mind if he signs for a few million less per year than what they are paying the guy right beside him.

I see Cimini is really getting into the swing of things over there at ESPN--make up a hypothetical that has no basis in reality, than argue it to yourself for 10 minutes, then conclude that time will tell. Must be some fascinating editorial meetings going on there.

I see Cimini is really getting into the swing of things over there at ESPN--make up a hypothetical that has no basis in reality, than argue it to yourself for 10 minutes, then conclude that time will tell. Must be some fascinating editorial meetings going on there.

Things a guy would do to save his job.

Cimini sounds like on a major mission to make it up to JETS fans after the druggie tweet!

I don't understand why we can't just sign Braylon and run the offense through him, Keller, and LT on third downs. If Holmes comes cheap enough he can be there too, but otherwise we should be able to get virtually anyone else for that third spot. Rivers, Brees, Peyton and most of the NFL don't have 2 #1 WR targets. Hell Jericho is perfectly fine as the #3 target.

This article doesn't even make sense, unless he'd want to take a pay cut. We could potentially lose Holmes or Edwards because of the asking price yet we'd be able to sign Smith? I'd take Holmes over Smith at this point in their careers. Gotta sign Braylon first though.

I don't even care that much about the fact that he's a difficult personality. He's a short, aging player who's game is predicated on speed and athleticism. Doesn't exactly appeal to me at his age. Sure, his declining production might just be he's had sh*t at QB, but he's going to decline physically and he can't really survive that and be effective.

I know I'll get killed for saying this, but Chad Ochocinco would be a hell of a fun addition to this roster.

Casting aside any concerns about him being a distraction, Ochocinco makes little to no sense from a personnel standpoint. We already have Cotchery on the roster, and are more in need of a shifty lunch-pail gamer classy hard-working smart scrappy-type slot receiver than anything else. In other words, let's give that Scotty McKnight guy a shot.

Could the Jets target Panthers WR Smith?

May, 6, 2011

May 6

4:23

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

If the Jets are willing to pay that much, they should just give it to one of their own.

Duh. If Cimini is going to wildly speculate based upon no real information, at least come up with something that makes some sense.

Cimini is an idiot.

Archived