Which FA Are you afraid the Jets will Overpay

flgreen

Which Free Agent Are You Most Afraid the New York Jets Will Overpay?

Gangreen-large_tiny by John B on Jun 5, 2011 12:00 PM EDT

Many guys who hit the open market get too much money. That happens when you auction talent in front of needy teams. Of the free agents the Jets have, though, to which one are you afraid they will give way too much money?

I do not think it will be either starting wide receiver. This is going to be a buyer's market for receivers. Vincent Jackson and Sidney Rice will be available. Terrell Owens and Randy Moss will be cheap short term options for a team looking to upgrade its situation. Chad Johnson and Steve Smith also appear likely to be available for a reasonable price on the trade market. It might be tough for free agent receivers to get teams to pay too much with all of these backup options available. I understand the school of thought that Braylon Edwards' and Santonio Holmes' respective histories of off field trouble makes them riskier signings, but a team can structure a contract to protect itself financially. You will have to pay more for Holmes or Edwards than Moss or Owens, but you will get production for a longer period of time.

I am afraid the Jets will overpay for Antonio Cromartie. Teams tend to get crazy with cornerbacks and give shutdown corner money to guys who are talented but not shutdown corners. Make no mistake about it. Cromartie is not a shutdown corner. He is a limited guy who pretty much plays well against one type of receiver in one type of coverage. Because of the Jets' scheme, though, he plays against that one kind of receiver in one type of coverage a lot, though. Cromartie is also inconsistent. He tends to either play lights out or miserably. As little as I want the Jets to break the bank for him, though, he is a talented guy. I think it would probably be a Bart Scott type contract where the guy is definitely getting overpaid but is at least a very good player who contributes a big net positive.

After taking a pair of early defensive linemen in the Draft, the Jets probably will fold if Shaun Ellis costs too much.

I worry more about giving big money to part time players for whom a replacement can be found for minimum wage. I think of a guy like Brad Smith, who is a useful gadget and return player. The thing is it is not terribly difficult to find a guy who is dangerous in space. The Jets seemed to take Jeremy Kerley as a potential replacement, though.

My choice is the other Smith. He fits a similar bill in that he is a part time player. He does enough well and played well enough in the Playoffs that he could have some suitors. He is a tweener, though. He covers better than the average linebacker and plays the run better than the average safety. He is not big enough to play linebacker full time or fast enough to stick at safety. He is limited to particular packages. The coaching staff seems to love him. The Jets could look elsewhere for cheaper safety depth, though. It would not be the end of the world if the Jets gave one part time player too much money. Teams get into big problems doing it frequently. This would be a starting point for a trend like that.

I do not really want to see the Jets give insane money to anybody, but doing so for a guy like Smith whose contract will be relatively modest would be the most troubling. What do you think?

None. With how cutthroat Tannenbaum is with the cap and how incentive-laden he tends to be with FA's like the ones you mentioned, there's no need to be fearful of the notion with any player on our radar. I don't see how you can possibly say that Scott is overpaid. Pace sure, though he's certainly not a dud, but Scott's the second highest paid player on the D and he's he's without question the second best player on it. If the Jets released him today you'd have teams lining up to pick him up at his current salary, and probably offering more considering his (wait for it), intangibles. Guy's probably the best defensive FA signing this team's had in forever and without question one of the league's premier ILB's.

I am not afraid.

+1

Is this guy really afraid of overpaying Eric Smith? Somehow I don't see a massive bidding war coming for the guy.

He's probably right about Cromartie. Rex loves himself some CB's. Wilson is still a question mark. They didn't pick up any corners in the draft (I thought they would). I'm not particularly interested in the Jets giving Cro the $10M/year numbers I've heard thrown around, but it wouldn't surprise me, either.

None. With how cutthroat Tannenbaum is with the cap and how incentive-laden he tends to be with FA's like the ones you mentioned, there's no need to be fearful of the notion with any player on our radar. I don't see how you can possibly say that Scott is overpaid. Pace sure, though he's certainly not a dud, but Scott's the second highest paid player on the D and he's he's without question the second best player on it. If the Jets released him today you'd have teams lining up to pick him up at his current salary, and probably offering more considering his (wait for it), intangibles. Guy's probably the best defensive FA signing this team's had in forever and without question one of the league's premier ILB's.

I think compared to the going rate for an ILB he is way overpaid. He has never been even close to the best ILB in the game but thats the contract the Jets gave him. Even now I think he ranks 2nd (behind Dansby also wildly overpaid) and he pretty much became the market setter for the position. His contract ended up being the base that Ryans, Dansby, and Willis all used. Where the Jets got lucky with him is they were able to use all that increased cap space in 2009 to wisely front him a ton of money and get that cap figure low (assuming the cap comes back). It was the exact opposite of the Pace situation where the cap situation forced them to prorate more money than they probably wanted to and made him carry big hits to go with the overblown deal- a way worse contract than Scotts. Im still stunned the Jets did not release Pace when they dumped all those other guys to simply get out from under the deal. I guess the OLB prospects were too bleak and they were worried about the Final 8 rules.

The possibility of overpaying Holmes scares me.

I believe Cromartie has found his place and Edwards bought in big time...

Hate to say it because Santonio was the only non-Jet that I used to enjoy rooting for, just one of those guys you like as a player on another team for no apparent reason. When he signed, I was probably more ecstatic than anyone. Still he has been flaky since he got here, and I can see him losing focus.

The possibility of overpaying Holmes scares me.

I believe Cromartie has found his place and Edwards bought in big time...

Hate to say it because Santonio was the only non-Jet that I used to enjoy rooting for, just one of those guys you like as a player on another team for no apparent reason. When he signed, I was probably more ecstatic than anyone. Still he has been flaky since he got here, and I can see him losing focus.

I dont think thats a worry. I think the Jets typical mo has been to not overpay the "homegrown" talent. Its not like what Baker accused the Jets of, because most are paid fair market and they have yet to lose anyone not worth losing, but the worry aspect with the Jets always comes from players outside the organization. The Jets like to make a splash and I think Tannenbaum hates to be the guy thats considered the loser. I cant really think of anytime where there were rumors that the Jets went after player A and had to move on to option B or C because of financial considerations. He pays big for players that the team wants. Whether by free agency or trade he pays whatever the price is to make it happen fast. So if the Jets are hamstrung again by the final 4 rules then the team isnt overpaying anyone and they arent letting Holmes get away without getting a kings ransom in return.

If the cap was to return and free agency is normal that is when I would worry just a little. Randy Moss wouldnt concern me because the Jets would just give him what essentially amounts to a 1 year deal. Same with TO or Plaxico. What would worry me is the Jets going wild to make a splash by signing a guy like Aso for a bazillion dollars or paying above market for a Manny Lawson type.

I dont think thats a worry. I think the Jets typical mo has been to not overpay the "homegrown" talent. Its not like what Baker accused the Jets of, because most are paid fair market and they have yet to lose anyone not worth losing, but the worry aspect with the Jets always comes from players outside the organization. The Jets like to make a splash and I think Tannenbaum hates to be the guy thats considered the loser. I cant really think of anytime where there were rumors that the Jets went after player A and had to move on to option B or C because of financial considerations. He pays big for players that the team wants. Whether by free agency or trade he pays whatever the price is to make it happen fast. So if the Jets are hamstrung again by the final 4 rules then the team isnt overpaying anyone and they arent letting Holmes get away without getting a kings ransom in return.

If the cap was to return and free agency is normal that is when I would worry just a little. Randy Moss wouldnt concern me because the Jets would just give him what essentially amounts to a 1 year deal. Same with TO or Plaxico. What would worry me is the Jets going wild to make a splash by signing a guy like Aso for a bazillion dollars or paying above market for a Manny Lawson type.

I actually agree with this, and I think Aso is the one guy, who as amazing as it would be, could really scare the sh*t out of me. If the Jets get it in their head that they can great the all-time greatest defense with the addition of Aso, they might just go ahead and try to do it. As you said, the Mikey T Jets simply don't get outbid when they lock in on a guy. The Jets pass defense would be unreal for sure, but the impact would have to be felt throughout the roster. The amount of money locked into the top 2 CB positions would be near crippling and you're talking about pretty much guaranteeing the loss of nearly every major free agent they currently have, except for maybe being able to pull off a deal with one WR, and setting themselves up for troubles with future negotiations, including the likes of locking Harris into a lock term contract.

&@%*!!!!

In answer to the question, Brad Smith. For some reason, Tannenbaum and Bradway love to hand Westhoff a degree of roster control.

I honestly think if they keep Smith it would be more because of Schotty than Westhoff. While I agree with what you're saying to an extent, Westhoff has NEVER had a problem making a Pro Bowl KR out of whoever the hell is on the roster. I don't see him being particularly concerned about replacing Smith, who wasn't even the #1 KR on this team for his first few years until Leon got hurt. The only other thing would be if Westhoff values him THAT highly as a gunner. And frankly, if the Jets couldn't be bothered to even tender Wallace Wright as an ERFA they're not going to dole out millions for Smith because of his gunning ability. Plus I'm sure McKnight's ST play made that a lot less of a concern.

The only question would be if Schotty screams loud enough about his desire to keep on running the BradCat offense to get them to dole out the cash. That said, considering he was already loosing his place in those plays to Leon in 09 before injury, and there have been reports that they see McKnight filling that role in the future, it seems that he's not seen as the only guy who can do it. I actually think Smith is very much one of those guys who the Jets will see as a jack of all trades and master of none, and get way outbid for him in a way they just won't be interested in matching, by some other team who thinks he can be something more than he has been with the Jets.

I actually think Smith is very much one of those guys who the Jets will see as a jack of all trades and master of none, and get way outbid for him in a way they just won't be interested in matching, by some other team who thinks he can be something more than he has been with the Jets.

Arizona.

Archived