Nike re-signs Mike Vick

Matt39

winning2.gif

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43568810

Michael Vick got to write his comeback story on the field. Now, he has seen his image come full circle off of it.

Scott Cunningham | Getty Images Sport | Getty Images

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CNBC has learned that, in a remarkable move, Nike, which severed Vick’s contract in 2007 after he admitted to his involvement in a dogfighting ring, has re-signed the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback.

“Michael acknowledges his past mistakes,” said Nike spokesman Derek Kent. “We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field.”

Vick’s longtime agent Joel Segal told CNBC that “Michael is excited to have a long-term and strong relationship with Nike.” The deal was done by Chicago-based attorney Andrew Stroth.

Nike had been giving Vick free products since his return to the field after serving 23 months in prison, but wasn’t paying him. Financial consideration on his new contract was not disclosed.

The brand dropped him in August 2007, halting the release of his fifth signature shoe, the Air Zoom Vick V, and releasing a statement saying that cruelty to animals was “inhumane, abhorrent and unacceptable.”

It is believed to be the first time in the history of sports marketing that a brand that dumped an athlete came back to re-sign him. let Kobe Bryant’s contract expire in 2003, after he was charged with sexual assault; the criminal case was dropped, and the civil case was settled. Coca-Cola eventually hired Bryant back in 2008 to endorse its Vitaminwater brand.

Others in the retail world reacted as well. Dick’s Sporting Goods said it wouldn’t carry Vick jerseys in its 300 stores. But Vick seemingly made all the right moves, beginning with a "60 Minutes" interview in August 2009, and continuing to serve the community on animal abuse outreach.

After a great season on the field in 2010, corporate America started to give him a chance again. Unequal Technologies, which was making Vick his protective gear to go under his jersey, signed him to a two-year endorsement deal in January. Two months later, Vick signed a deal with Core Synergy, a titanium-infused, silicone wristband brand. At the end of the season, Vick's No. 7 Eagles jersey was the sixth most popular in the league.

And now a formal deal with Nike, which originally signed him before his rookie season in 2001. Nike officials didn’t disclose what exactly they will do with Vick. The brand takes over from Reebok as the NFL’s official apparel supplier in April 2012.

Vick, who was named Subway Sportsman of the Year by the BET Network on Sunday, has other projects in the works:

His autobiography, "Michael Vick: Finally Free,” hits stores July 27. Vick is selling 7,777 signed copies on his official website for $99.99. New York-based Bombo Sports & Entertainment has an agreement with Vick and the NFL to make a documentary about his “rise, fall and resurrection as a player and a person.” Bob Potter, the producer of the yet-to-be-named documentary, says the film will likely be released in theatres some time between Thanksgiving and the Super Bowl. The film will also have a DVD and TV component.

Vick also signed an exclusive autograph deal with Las-Vegas based J.O. Sports Co. in December.

As of 11am ET, shares of Nike were up 1 percent on the day and almost 12 percent on the week after reporting strong earnings on Monday afternoon.

He paid his debt to society and he is making efforts to educate people on crulety to animals. I hope that is an endevaor he continues. He has made the most of his second chance. Good for him.

Redemption.......

Yeah, not buying the second chance thing. If he came back and sucked...the world would still hate him. He was pretty damned good though so we forgive him his trespasses. And in our minds, hundreds of dogs become un-drowned, puppies become un-electrocuted, starved animals plump right up and the dogs trained to kill each other join together paw-in paw and howl the tune to "why can't we be friends". Lots of animals were tortured beaten starved, burned, drowned and killed or maimed in other unspeakable ways. His jail sentence brings those tortured animals no relief. He's served his time and he gets to play football for a living again. That's "second chance" enough for this scumbag. Hope NIKE stock drops like a rock for having no moral compass and being a bottom-line-only company.

Hope NIKE stock drops like a rock for having no moral compass and being a bottom-line-only company.

If the world doesn't care about the nine-year olds that Nike exploits to make their shoes, I don't think they're gonna flip out over some pit bulls.

If the world doesn't care about the nine-year olds that Nike exploits to make their shoes, I don't think they're gonna flip out over some pit bulls.

No they won't. And NIKE will make millions off Vick's new image. Sad really. I'm not even an "animal lover" per se, since I believe most animals are quite delicious. But slaughterhouses actually treat their animals more humanely than those dogs were treated. A google search of the atrocities left me pretty disgusted.

No they won't. And NIKE will make millions off Vick's new image. Sad really. I'm not even an "animal lover" per se, since I believe most animals are quite delicious. But slaughterhouses actually treat their animals more humanely than those dogs were treated. A google search of the atrocities left me pretty disgusted.

No question. Agree on all counts. If Nike thought people would buy an Osama Bin Laden sneaker, they'd sell an Osama Bin Laden sneaker.

Yeah, not buying the second chance thing. If he came back and sucked...the world would still hate him. He was pretty damned good though so we forgive him his trespasses. And in our minds, hundreds of dogs become un-drowned, puppies become un-electrocuted, starved animals plump right up and the dogs trained to kill each other join together paw-in paw and howl the tune to "why can't we be friends". Lots of animals were tortured beaten starved, burned, drowned and killed or maimed in other unspeakable ways. His jail sentence brings those tortured animals no relief. He's served his time and he gets to play football for a living again. That's "second chance" enough for this scumbag. Hope NIKE stock drops like a rock for having no moral compass and being a bottom-line-only company.

Dude, Kobe raped a chick and Nike signed him right up, literally like during the hearings. Some of his kicks sell out right at midnight the very night that they release. Tiger's sales barely took a dip in the wake of everything. Lebron is maybe the biggest d-bag sports has ever seen, and parents swore to the 9's that they'd never encourage their kid to be like someone like that, yet he sold over half a million shoes this year and netted Nike over $75 million alone. Nobody cares.

Dude, Kobe raped a chick and Nike signed him right up, literally like during the hearings. Some of his kicks sell out right at midnight the very night that they release. Tiger's sales barely took a dip in the wake of everything. Lebron is maybe the biggest d-bag sports has ever seen, and parents swore to the 9's that they'd never encourage their kid to be like someone like that, yet he sold over half a million shoes this year and netted Nike over $75 million alone. Nobody cares.

A guy spurns a city well within his legal rights. Or is it his made for TV announcement which made Boys and Girls club millions of dollars. And he is in the running for the biggest D-bag sports has ever seen? Really?

He did not rape a woman. Or cheat on his wife with 15 and counting woman. Or run a dog fighting ring.

I understand people that will never forgive Kobe, Tiger and Vick. We all have lines we do not want people to cross. Yet, the hatred towards Lebron is baffling.

Yep. Big Ben is a serial rapist and nobody cares. Vick hangs, drowns and tortures puppies and nobody cares. Its effed up. Vick is even winning awards and trying to sell himself as an animal rights activist. Ben is going the Christian route. They're liars and scumbags with expensive PR agents and we as a culture still admire them somehow. Nobody Cares. Well I'll tell you who does care...COPS! COPS RULE! YEAH BITCHES! eusa_dance.gif

sorry. wrong thread. :unsure:

Micheal Vick does not give a rats a$$ about those dogs or what he did, anyone who thinks he does is a freakin Idiot. He did his time, makes his Humane Society appearances BECAUSE HE HAS TO Not because he loves dogs lets get that straight. He gets to make ungodly millions because a sh*t head sneaker company who's been ******* us over since 1975 wants to give it to him. I will never buy another product with that logo on it as long as I live.

Actully I stopped buying the prodcuts when they moved to China in the mid 70's claiming it would lower the prices so they paid some slaves in china god knows how much to work in their sweat shop factories and the price of their goods sky rocketed. **** Nike. Actully **** every company that builds factories over seas while our middle class suffers. **** em all

Micheal Vick does not give a rats a$$ about those dogs or what he did, anyone who thinks he does is a freakin Idiot. He did his time, makes his Humane Society appearances BECAUSE HE HAS TO Not because he loves dogs lets get that straight. He gets to make ungodly millions because a sh*t head sneaker company who's been ******* us over since 1975 wants to give it to him. I will never buy another product with that logo on it as long as I live.

'75?

YEah wasent that when Nike moved its factories to china ? I remember when I was a kid everyone bitching out Nike for moving and then the quality of the sneakers when to total sh*t.

Ah, not sure. Knew the company started in the 60's and was just curious what that was a reference too.

It is all about getting a second chance after paying the price -so good for him

I guess I see both sides perspective. "Who am I to judge." I wish more people thought this before they opened their mouths. Maybe we'd get somewhere but I suppose it's futile. I don't think he's a bad, horrible guy at all. It's about growing up, well... the way you're brought up. His regret/remorse has always seemed genuine. I'm glad he got another shot in the NFL but I don't approve of the Nike endorsement, just my opinion. I try to view things within scale. Weight it I guess. An opportunity to work in his profession I get it, but the extra garnishes, well, I don't think he should have ever seen them again. Not gonna stop me from buying Nike though. I like my running shoes and Victory irons. So what does that make me, I don't know. But yeah, part of me is glad to see he was given another chance but another part of me is saying there should be a limit to his second shot rewards. But better him than some others I suppose, and that's not knowing him as a person but trying to get a vibe from what you see on the tv/internet.

"Paul Pierce's flopping didn't get the job done this postseason, so I guess I'll unconditionally defend the second-most insufferable guy in the league!"

This is a totally unfair transference of hatred, but I think I might have Lebron third at this point strictly due to Blackout.

Archived