Santonio Holmes to the redskins ? ? ?

kelly

Yeah, things like this I have a feeling are going to be a problem for those of us who want to see the Jets keep Holmes (and to remind you all, despite my preference for Edwards I absolutely want BOTH back). I could be wrong here, but I feel like Holmes is the much more likely of the two to want to test free agency, and rumors like this are only going to feed that. It makes sense from each players perspective too, Braylon cashed in big money from day one and is just thrilled to be upgrading from the god awful situation he had in Cleveland, so he's not exactly pining to leave the Jets, where as Holmes has never yet gotten his big payday and is probably looking for the most possible, and signing with the Jets before FA kicks off probably won't help that cause. That doesn't mean the Jets won't manage to keep him, but I can't imagine Holmes is going to make it easy on them.

I just read today that Marshal Yanda is their top priority as well so I never really take Snyder seriously. He might drive the price up on Yanda for the Dolphins and Holmes for the Jets, though.

There is no advantage to Washington by doing that seeing as neither of those teams are in their division. If he over pays it will be because it is what he does. I belive that Beck does not have a lot of experience if any at all, and getting him a money receiver makes sense. I can see him backing up the truck for Holmes. Since he has a ring why not get the payday as well. NFL carrers as a rule are not long, so when you have your shot at the money, you might as well take it. Holmes could be a great help to Beck's development as a starter.

There is no advantage to Washington by doing that seeing as neither of those teams are in their division. If he over pays it will be because it is what he does. I belive that Beck does not have a lot of experience if any at all, and getting him a money receiver makes sense. I can see him backing up the truck for Holmes. Since he has a ring why not get the payday as well. NFL carrers as a rule are not long, so when you have your shot at the money, you might as well take it. Holmes could be a great help to Beck's development as a starter.

That doesn't mean Holmes can't use the Redskins for leverage. Players do it all the time; the Dolphins reportedly had Ryan Clark signed sealed and delivered last year but before the contract was signed, he was back in Pittsburgh with a new, bigger deal from the Steelers.

I liked John Beck coming out of BYU (big suprise, I know) but he failed miserably in a horrible situation in Miami. I think that might be more of a "Suck for Luck" play than anything. Spending the money on an above receiver probably isn't the route Mike Shannahan would like to take. That roster has holes all up and down it, one receiver isn't going to make a big differnece. That team is three years away from playing .500 ball, especially in that division where all three other teams are Super Bowl contenders.

If he does back the truck up for Holmes and Holmes bites, last years AFC championship game will be the last important game he ever plays.

That's not entirely true. He would likely get to play in some late season games that help would determine who wins the NFC East: the Giants, Cowboys or Eagles.

I'd feel really bad for Holmes if he ended up on that joke of a team. Horrible GM, moron coach, egotistical players... I do agree that the team is stupid enough to try and give Holmes way more money than he's worth (or what the Jets offer). If the skins are smart enough to keep McNabb, Holmes would definitely complement him well.

Yeah, things like this I have a feeling are going to be a problem for those of us who want to see the Jets keep Holmes (and to remind you all, despite my preference for Edwards I absolutely want BOTH back). I could be wrong here, but I feel like Holmes is the much more likely of the two to want to test free agency, and rumors like this are only going to feed that. It makes sense from each players perspective too, Braylon cashed in big money from day one and is just thrilled to be upgrading from the god awful situation he had in Cleveland, so he's not exactly pining to leave the Jets, where as Holmes has never yet gotten his big payday and is probably looking for the most possible, and signing with the Jets before FA kicks off probably won't help that cause. That doesn't mean the Jets won't manage to keep him, but I can't imagine Holmes is going to make it easy on them.

BG if we lose Holmes we will definitely sign Edwards then I would love to see us sign Lance Moore the Saints are stacked at WR so I do not think they will counter. Moore Edwards and Cotch would be a very nice combo and Moore is fearless over the middle. He also gets a nice amount of TD's one year he had ten another year he had 8 hes dangerous in the red zone for sure and a better all around WR than Holmes. Think hes only 27 as well but i could be wrong maybe 28 ??

I'd feel really bad for Holmes if he ended up on that joke of a team. Horrible GM, moron coach, egotistical players... I do agree that the team is stupid enough to try and give Holmes way more money than he's worth (or what the Jets offer). If the skins are smart enough to keep McNabb, Holmes would definitely complement him well.

Why feel sorry ? he'll be lighting up a huge blunt to celebrate ....one year off.

A good rule of thumb is if the Deadskins are interested in a player, that guy is washed up and sucks. The Jets definitely should just let Santonio go. In fact, drive up his price first and then let them have him. I can't stand Shanahan anyway, the only good thing he ever does is beat the Patriots.

BG if we lose Holmes we will definitely sign Edwards then I would love to see us sign Lance Moore the Saints are stacked at WR so I do not think they will counter. Moore Edwards and Cotch would be a very nice combo and Moore is fearless over the middle. He also gets a nice amount of TD's one year he had ten another year he had 8 hes dangerous in the red zone for sure and a better all around WR than Holmes. Think hes only 27 as well but i could be wrong maybe 28 ??

cotch never should've been more than a good #3 or a low end #2. it was criminal that he served as our #1 at one point. but now he's washed up and if the jets were to cut him i doubt he'd land anywhere.

cotch never should've been more than a good #3 or a low end #2. it was criminal that he served as our #1 at one point. but now he's washed up and if the jets were to cut him i doubt he'd land anywhere.

That's a little harsh. Lol!

I think Cotch can still be a decent #2 or solid #3, he was just hurt a lot last year. He runs excellent routes, and his hands are top notch when he's not distracted by pain.

That's a little harsh. Lol!

I think Cotch can still be a decent #2 or solid #3, he was just hurt a lot last year. He runs excellent routes, and his hands are top notch when he's not distracted by pain.

Agreed with this, I think Cotch absolutely showed prior to last year that he was a legit #2 WR, and I don't think one down year changes that. The fact is even with the injuries, he rebounded nicely at the end of the year and into the playoffs, actually playing better after returning from the groin injury. One down year while injured hardly qualifies as a player being "washed up" in the least. That said, I would still be much happier with him as the Jets #3 and not having to count on any rookies or PS nobodies to be a significant part of the passing game.

Cotch is a guy I always felt was a very good #3, an acceptable but limited #2, and a horrible chocie as a #1 WR.

He makes a great third choice, posession type, and makes some big catches on occasion. He's just not talented enough, or consistent enough, to be a legitimate #1 or #2 performer.

I like Cotch. I just want to see him in the role that best suits his talents. And thats #3, sometime #2, WR.

Agreed with this, I think Cotch absolutely showed prior to last year that he was a legit #2 WR, and I don't think one down year changes that. The fact is even with the injuries, he rebounded nicely at the end of the year and into the playoffs, actually playing better after returning from the groin injury. One down year while injured hardly qualifies as a player being "washed up" in the least. That said, I would still be much happier with him as the Jets #3 and not having to count on any rookies or PS nobodies to be a significant part of the passing game.

I'm not counting on Cotchery. He took the beating of a running back while playing with Chad here. He may have dropped off the same cliff that Chrebet and Coles did.

I'm not counting on Cotchery. He took the beating of a running back while playing with Chad here. He may have dropped off the same cliff that Chrebet and Coles did.

That is also absolutely part of the reason I would prefer he come back as the #3. That said, I am cautiously optimistic considering he played his best ball towards the end of the year despite both a herniated disc and a groin injury. Having Cotchery does help the Jets with some flexibility with their current WR situation, but you really don't want them counting on him being a starter.

That is also absolutely part of the reason I would prefer he come back as the #3. That said, I am cautiously optimistic considering he played his best ball towards the end of the year despite both a herniated disc and a groin injury. Having Cotchery does help the Jets with some flexibility with their current WR situation, but you really don't want them counting on him being a starter.

I dont see how Cotchery helps with the flexibility when discussing our dilema. Hes a #3 WR Edwards and Holmes are both better and give us a better chance of winning a Super Bowl.

I dont see how Cotchery helps with the flexibility when discussing our dilema. Hes a #3 WR Edwards and Holmes are both better and give us a better chance of winning a Super Bowl.

You act as though resigning both is in any way a given or even remotely close to an easy task. It's most certainly not, and the Jets need to be prepared for the possibility that it doesn't happen. If the Jets are only able to retain one (or even worse neither), having Cotch around gives them some flexibility in what other FAs the Jets choose to target, considering the guy can play any WR position. That said, as was already discussed you would still much prefer they not count on him to be a starter, but it's very possible depending on how the Jets end up having to address the WR position, they may not be looking at a clear cut situation of who exactly is the #1/2/3 WRs.

Hahahahahahahaahahah!!!! Nobody would sign Cotch if he was cut? That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

You act as though resigning both is in any way a given or even remotely close to an easy task. It's most certainly not, and the Jets need to be prepared for the possibility that it doesn't happen. If the Jets are only able to retain one (or even worse neither), having Cotch around gives them some flexibility in what other FAs the Jets choose to target, considering the guy can play any WR position. That said, as was already discussed you would still much prefer they not count on him to be a starter, but it's very possible depending on how the Jets end up having to address the WR position, they may not be looking at a clear cut situation of who exactly is the #1/2/3 WRs.

The neither option is my real fear. It could happen easy. If the rumors are true that Holmes is their top priority, there may be a real problem. Teams are going to have 72 hours to sign their own guys. I really don't think Holmes is going to sign in that 72 hours because somebody is going to throw stupid money at him, and he knows it. He will want to see what his value is on the open market. If the Jets wait to compete for him, Edwards will get an attitude and probably sign with another team the first day of FA.

Now the Jets will be a situation to over pay him big time, or let him go to a lunatic like the Skins. Holmes is good, but in this offense I don't think they really want to pay him like he's Rice. If they get cute they could be left holding an empty bag.

IMO I think they will make both of them a fair offer in the 72 hour period. First guy to get his name on the paper is a Jet.

Best case scenario? Jeremy Kerley is a savant and learns the slot reeeeeally quickly.

Best case scenario? Jeremy Kerley is a savant and learns the slot reeeeeally quickly.

Absolutely, but considering the coaches haven't even met with the kid yet, that's hardly something they're planning on happening. At this point they pretty much have to not even count Kerley as part of the picture this year outside of maybe special teams and some limited snaps on offense.

Absolutely, but considering the coaches haven't even met with the kid yet, that's hardly something they're planning on happening. At this point they pretty much have to not even count Kerley as part of the picture this year outside of maybe special teams and some limited snaps on offense.

I hear you. I know it's wishful thinking. I imagine that opening day we're looking at Holmes-Cotchery-Keller and somebody like Steve Smith (Giants) lining up at receiver, with Kerley and an extremely low-level FA on the bench.

Archived