Free Agency

whodeawhodat

kleck screw this mouth to feed sh*t. If he only made 1 mill a year he could comfortably feed every freakin mouth in his stable have lucrative collge funds set up and give them all a great life. Dont want to hear about his 47 kids to be honest.

So humor is lost on you. Good to know.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! Seriously, there may be a handful of players willing to take a "hometown discount" - the vast majority chase the benjamins. To think otherwise is foolish. Did the lockout teach you anything? Greed is good. LOL!

No matter how good a coach is, the majority of players won't do that for anyone. That said, there's already evidence that those few guys who are willing to do it, are more likely to do it for a guy like Rex. Consider that the contract the Jets signed Leonhard for was a decent amount less than the offer he got from the Rams, and Edwards has already stated he would take a discount to stay with the team (and has suggested fellow FAs like Cromartie and Holmes should be willing to do the same to keep the team together). Anyone who thinks the entire roster is going to suddenly gladly take a paycut to stick around is certainly delusional, but the occasional occurrence is still far more than anything we've seen on the Jets before, and a lot better than the days of the John Lynch and Antoine Winfield fiascoes.

I don't really take it as a slap at Rex at all. I just think the whole concept of "Rex is gonna get free agents" is overblown. Players could care less who the coach is. Hell, Antrel Rolle signed on to play with Tom Coughlin last year.

As for Leonhard, I think he knew that Rex would protect him, too. If Leonhard signed with the Rams or Broncos, he'd already be on the street looking to sign for the vet minimum.

I don't really take it as a slap at Rex at all. I just think the whole concept of "Rex is gonna get free agents" is overblown. Players could care less who the coach is. Hell, Antrel Rolle signed on to play with Tom Coughlin last year.

As for Leonhard, I think he knew that Rex would protect him, too. If Leonhard signed with the Rams or Broncos, he'd already be on the street looking to sign for the vet minimum.

And he regretted it almost immediately and said he'd prefer to be a Jet!

A great 2nd option at CB would be Jonathon Joseph who I personally think is better than Cro at this point in their careers but can be had for less because he doesn't get the pub Cro gets.

Nobody's getting Joseph on the cheap. He's probably the 2A corner on the market, tied with Cro.

Oh, I don't disagree with you on that. No matter who you've got, it's never going to make this massive difference. My point more than anything is that in the NFL overall it's just a rare occurrence, as most guys will just chase the money, but for that small handful of guys who are willing to take the discount at all or in a case where the offers available are equal, I do think Rex is one of the coaches (certainly not the only one or anything like that), who can help in that situation. More than anything, I see the real difference being that the Jets are no longer that team that will be the highest bidder and still not get the guy they want, whereas just a few years ago that was a major issue for the Jets with both FAs (Lynch, Winfield) and even resigning their own guys (Jason Ferguson).

Feeling a bit better this afternoon. The reason why is this:

2 years ago Rex came in and brought a Rookie QB and new system to the Jets. This situation is not nearly as dire as then and looked what happened. Rex will make it work on defense with who he has. Schottie will have to get some points on the board and the Sanchise should be able to help him out with that no matter who he is throwing to. Look at McCoy last year. If you got it you can get it done. I say he gots it.

Also, our O-Line is BEAST.

LOL! Seriously, there may be a handful of players willing to take a "hometown discount" - the vast majority chase the benjamins. To think otherwise is foolish. Did the lockout teach you anything? Greed is good. LOL!

Especial that that ******* a$$ hole Mankins who is threatening to try and hold the whole league hostage I never agree with kicker on any thing but Kluwe is right he is a DOUCHE BAG!

The Manning, Brees, Mankins, Jackson backlash begins

Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT

Getty Images

With four of the 10 named plaintiffs who supposedly are representing all players trying to cut their own deal, possibly at the risk of blowing up the entire settlement, the other 1,896 players can’t be all that happy about this.

Now, at least one of them has gone on the record. (Sure, he’s a punter. But he’s still technically a player.)

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has posted the following message on his Twitter page: “Sigh, and once again greed is the operative byword. Congrats Brees, Manning, Mankins, and Jackson for being ‘that guy’. #douchebags.“

We love you, Chris Kluwe. Even though you’re just a punter.

players play for cheese

the jets are in trouble IF the rumored 120 mill cap is accurate. I think tanny will let cro walk, then go hard after holmes and edwards and smith. my expectations are low, I'm just praying cro, holmes and the beast don't wind up on an AFC contender

Feeling a bit better this afternoon. The reason why is this:

2 years ago Rex came in and brought a Rookie QB and new system to the Jets. This situation is not nearly as dire as then and looked what happened. Rex will make it work on defense with who he has. Schottie will have to get some points on the board and the Sanchise should be able to help him out with that no matter who he is throwing to. Look at McCoy last year. If you got it you can get it done. I say he gots it.

Also, our O-Line is BEAST.

who is playing RT ?

I want my Braylon back or I'll cry :-(

dont worry DLJ he will be back.

And yes if push comes to shove the defense is much more capable of toughing it out than the offense with its inept OC running the show. If we have to depend on a coach doing more with less I think we trust Rex/Pettine rather than sh*tty .

Nobody's getting Joseph on the cheap. He's probably the 2A corner on the market, tied with Cro.

This

Joseph is the FAR better player. Cro is more talented by combine type judgements, but Joseph is a better football player period.

I think he goes for significantly less than Cro.

revis and aso will have set the bar so high, cro and jospeh are gonna make buku bank no matter what. nether will be affordable by any stretch.

having 2 "#1" corners will be as impossible to get under your cap as 2 "#1" QB's

revis and aso will have set the bar so high, cro and jospeh are gonna make buku bank no matter what. nether will be affordable by any stretch.

having 2 "#1" corners will be as impossible to get under your cap as 2 "#1" QB's

Your right.

Aso is making it known that he is expecting 20 million. So did Revis. He won't get it, but I'm willing to bet he's going to get Revis kind of money. Which is going to cause a whole new set of problems with Revis next year.

The good news is that the Jets really don't need a shut down corner next to Revis, they need a good corner. Is that Wilson? I don't know. I hope Rex does. If not they will pick up a solid, if not spectacular corner

Personally, I hope Wilson can step up and be the guy. I just think Joseph is an attractive option that will cost a little less than Cro.

I like Wilson, but I am not fond of the idea of going with a guy like Wilson or Ducasse with nothing "known" ahead/behind/next to them on the depth chart. If Wilson tanks who is the other CB? Lowery? Not sure I would want Revis Lowery and Cole as our 3. I expect Cromartie or a valid vet CB. I also expect Woody or Hunter back.

Few players are going to sign for less to play for Rex, but if a player is getting offered the same amount to play for Rex or Team X, I think they're much more likely to stick around with the Jets.

Think any of our previous coaches could have persuaded LaDainian Tomlinson to come here? Hell, up until the 11th hour he was assuredly going to Minnesota before Rex single-handedly got him in a Jets uniform. Think Bart Scott would have followed just ANY other coach to his new job? No, Rex hasn't made a HUGE difference yet in our finances, but we are definitely in a more advantageous position having him than we would be if we had one of 25 or so other coaches.

I like Wilson, but I am not fond of the idea of going with a guy like Wilson or Ducasse with nothing "known" ahead/behind/next to them on the depth chart. If Wilson tanks who is the other CB? Lowery? Not sure I would want Revis Lowery and Cole as our 3. I expect Cromartie or a valid vet CB. I also expect Woody or Hunter back.

I would say that we(the Jets organization) know more than you think about Wilson/Ducasse. They have been Jets for a year now. I doubted the move to cut Faneca. The Jets knew what they had in Slausson even though us fans thought they were crazy. Same situation imo.

Few players are going to sign for less to play for Rex, but if a player is getting offered the same amount to play for Rex or Team X, I think they're much more likely to stick around with the Jets.

Think any of our previous coaches could have persuaded LaDainian Tomlinson to come here? Hell, up until the 11th hour he was assuredly going to Minnesota before Rex single-handedly got him in a Jets uniform. Think Bart Scott would have followed just ANY other coach to his new job? No, Rex hasn't made a HUGE difference yet in our finances, but we are definitely in a more advantageous position having him than we would be if we had one of 25 or so other coaches.

+1

I don't think anyone is going to ever take significantly less money just to play for Rex but if the money is close, the Jets have a huge advantage which can save them.

Where Rex really helps is by being the clincher he can keep the Jets from overpaying for anyone. If Santonio Holmes has an offer from the Jets and an offer from, say the Redskins, and the difference is less than $5 million over the life of the deal, he's gonna have to think long and hard before he signs to play for Danny Snyder.

+1

I don't think anyone is going to ever take significantly less money just to play for Rex but if the money is close, the Jets have a huge advantage which can save them.

Where Rex really helps is by being the clincher he can keep the Jets from overpaying for anyone. If Santonio Holmes has an offer from the Jets and an offer from, say the Redskins, and the difference is less than $5 million over the life of the deal, he's gonna have to think long and hard before he signs to play for Danny Snyder.

I agree in principle with what you're saying, but Holmes is probably the wrong player to use as an example.

I agree in principle with what you're saying, but Holmes is probably the wrong player to use as an example.

I think Holmes is the perfect example. I think Holmes will test the market but when push comes to shove, if the money's close, he'll stay. All Tanny and Rex really need to remind him of is how the Steelers tossed him aside for smoking weed while protecting their rapist QB.

Holmes was scapegoated by the Steelers. The Jets showed him love by giving up a pick for him, knowing he was going to have to serve a suspension. He invented the whole Flight Boys thing. He loves Rex.

Santonio will stay if the money is close.

Haha, my thought exactly on that one. Of the 97 different FAs the Jets have or whatever the hell it is, the two players I would bet wouldn't take 1 cent less to play for the Jets are Holmes and Cromartie. That said, if the deals were exactly equal I think both would be inclined to stick with the Jets. Which goes back to my earlier point, it's a lot different than the kind of sh*t the Jets went through with John Lynch, Antoine Winfield and even their own Jason Ferguson.

I think Holmes is the perfect example. I think Holmes will test the market but when push comes to shove, if the money's close, he'll stay. All Tanny and Rex really need to remind him of is how the Steelers tossed him aside for smoking weed while protecting their rapist QB.

Holmes was scapegoated by the Steelers. The Jets showed him love by giving up a pick for him, knowing he was going to have to serve a suspension. He invented the whole Flight Boys thing. He loves Rex.

Santonio will stay if the money is close.

I hope you are right. How he acts toward media questions and pushy flight attendents could be totally different than how he treats his boss and teamates. I truly hope you are right because I think that Tanny will go hard after him and make him a very good offer even though it may prohibit him from signing a couple of other FAs. I just figure that with all the cap room that has to be burned by other teams, someone WILL outbid us.

Be prepared to put your theory to the test within a week.

I hope you are right. How he acts toward media questions and pushy flight attendents could be totally different than how he treats his boss and teamates. I truly hope you are right because I think that Tanny will go hard after him and make him a very good offer even though it may prohibit him from signing a couple of other FAs. I just figure that with all the cap room that has to be burned by other teams, someone WILL outbid us.

Be prepared to put your theory to the test within a week.

If someone badly outbids the Jets it won't make a difference, he'll be gone.

If someone badly outbids the Jets it won't make a difference, he'll be gone.

Part of me wonders if it will even come to that. The Jets have a lot of maneuvering to do in a very short time period, and I'm not sure there will be any willingness to sit around and wait for Holmes to decide what he wants to do. If the NFL years starts and Holmes is insisting on hitting FA while Edwards is agreeing to sign a team-friendly deal before FA opens, how long are the Jets going to sit on their hands? You know the Jets really don't want to risk losing both. Now granted signing one doesn't necessarily preclude the Jets from signing the other, but it certainly doesn't make it any easier, especially if there ends up being a bidding war started over Holmes services, which is very possible given the insane amount of cap room some teams will be forced to eat up.

I would say that we(the Jets organization) know more than you think about Wilson/Ducasse. They have been Jets for a year now. I doubted the move to cut Faneca. The Jets knew what they had in Slausson even though us fans thought they were crazy. Same situation imo.

I heard the same bullsh*t about Adrien Clarke. Last season I was told that Ducasse was going to be the LG. He couldn't cut it and they were stuck with Slauson. If it's the same situation they should have a backup plan - like Slauson. IMO Lowery and Marquice Cole are not a valid backup plan, especially when you consider how often the 3rd, 4th and even 5th CBs will see the field.

I heard the same bullsh*t about Adrien Clarke. Last season I was told that Ducasse was going to be the LG. He couldn't cut it and they were stuck with Slauson. If it's the same situation they should have a backup plan - like Slauson. IMO Lowery and Marquice Cole are not a valid backup plan, especially when you consider how often the 3rd, 4th and even 5th CBs will see the field.

While I get your point, I do think there is a bit of a difference in the situations. Namely, the Jets still have a full FA period to address these issues if they think they need to. With the Clarke situation, they went through the offseason expecting they had their returning veteran starter, until sh*t hit the fan with Kendall come camp time and they got rid of him a few weeks before the season, which basically stuck them with what they had. Granted it turned out to be a disaster and something the Jets should have known better about, but it's certainly not a comparable situation.

I have no doubt that if the Jets really have concerns about the abilities of Ducasse or Wilson to do their respective jobs this season they'll be sure to address it one way or another, be it through resigning a player or bringing in a FA.

While I get your point, I do think there is a bit of a difference in the situations. Namely, the Jets still have a full FA period to address these issues if they think they need to. With the Clarke situation, they went through the offseason expecting they had their returning veteran starter, until sh*t hit the fan with Kendall come camp time and they got rid of him a few weeks before the season, which basically stuck them with what they had. Granted it turned out to be a disaster and something the Jets should have known better about, but it's certainly not a comparable situation.

I have no doubt that if the Jets really have concerns about the abilities of Ducasse or Wilson to do their respective jobs this season they'll be sure to address it one way or another, be it through resigning a player or bringing in a FA.

Actually, they dicked around with Kendall for months before they cut him loose. Just before the season started they could have realized their mistake and kept him, but they dumped him and got two sh*tty QBs damned near killed for it. Bender and Clarke <shudder> They do have the whole FA period and I think they will sign a solid vet CB. It doesn't have to be Aso and if they do I don't think it means they don't believe in Wilson, it just means they aren't stupid.

Archived