Derrick Mason: The Decision

Jetsfan80

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/08/mason_will_make_decision_soon.html

August 5, 2011

Derrick Mason will make decision soon

Former Ravens receiver Derrick Mason, cut by the team shortly before training camp began, said he will make a decision on which team he wants to play for within the next 48 hours.

Mason, 37, reportedly is weighing offers from the Ravens, Titans and Jets.

Mason said his decision will not be based Chargers receiver Malcom Floyd re-signing with San Diego earlier Friday.

"I can go to places where they can win immediately," Mason said. "I have some options and I'll make a decision based on what is good for my family and my career. I will make a decision quickly because I want to be in somebody's camp soon. I'll make one within the next 48 hours."

"[Floyd's] decision will have nothing to do with mine. We're different people, different receivers. My body of work is my body of work and I know what I have accomplished and what I have to offer a team. Now, I just have to sit here, think about things, and make what I believe is the right decision."

I still don't understand why we want this guy. I'd rather roll with Patrick Turner as our 3WR or play some other young kid. We're talking about the 3WR position here. Even if Plax can't go and you need a #2, that person would still be the third target behind Holmes and Keller.

More recycled, old news posted just minutes ago....Jets want Mason to play for less:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/06/sports/football/jets-pursue-derrick-mason-hoping-hell-accept-less-money.html

Approaching Salary Cap, Jets May Ask Mason to Take Less

By KEN BELSON

Published: August 5, 2011

With their options for finding a No. 3 receiver dwindling, the Jets on Friday continued their pursuit of Derrick Mason, the 14-year veteran who played the last six seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.

But after a flurry of signings and new acquisitions, the Jets are expected to have to ask Mason to take less money to come to the team. Before being released by the Ravens, Mason was due to make $4.5 million this season, and it is unclear whether Mason would accept a pay cut.

The competition, though, was made more difficult on Friday when the Ravens lost out on the free-agent receiver Malcom Floyd to the San Diego Chargers. Mason’s agent, Lamont Smith, did not return a call for comment.

Mason, who visited the Jets’ training camp on Thursday, would join Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress to create — at least on paper — one of the more formidable receiving corps in the league. They would also provide ample choices for quarterback Mark Sanchez and Coach Rex Ryan, who has promised to throw the ball more this year.

The Jets are pursuing Mason after Braylon Edwards signed with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday, Brad Smith agreed last week to a long-term deal with the Buffalo Bills, and Jerricho Cotchery, a mainstay with the Jets for seven seasons, was granted his request to be released on Thursday.

Holmes and Burress were signed after the lockout ended nearly two weeks ago. But their big-ticket deals, plus contracts for several other players, have pushed the Jets close to the salary cap of about $120 million, forcing them to be more judicious with their spending.

Mason is familiar with Ryan from their four seasons together with the Ravens, for whom Ryan was the defensive coordinator, and could be persuaded that the Jets are a better option to return to the playoffs.

Whomever Mason signs with, he will bring deep experience. Like Holmes and Burress, he has been to the Super Bowl. (Holmes and Burress were on winning teams, while Mason, then on the Titans, lost.) Mason has eight 1,000-yard seasons. Burress has achieved that feat four times, but Holmes has only done it once.

Mason, who caught a career-high 103 passes in 2007, is fifth among active players in receptions. He has proved durable, playing in 16 games in all but 3 of his 14 seasons. He has also returned punts and kickoffs during his career, which should help offset the loss of Smith, a top returner .

Sanchez said he spoke with Cotchery this week and hoped that he would stay with the team. But the signing of Burress and the Jets’ pursuit of Mason made it increasingly unlikely there would be enough plays for Cotchery. He caught passes for 4,514 yards and 18 touchdowns in seven years with the Jets.

Perhaps his most memorable reception came last Nov. 14 in Cleveland, when he tore a muscle in his left groin early in a play but hopped nine times on his right foot to get open and made a crucial diving catch.

Cotchery, however, was hampered by a herniated disk in his back, which required off-season surgery and landed him on the physically unable to perform list. Ryan said that he did not want Cotchery to leave, but that Mason was a “superintense guy” who “wants to win more than anything.”

Burress said he was excited about the prospect of playing alongside Mason who, like Burress, attended Michigan State.

“He can definitely be one of those guys who comes in and helps us win a championship,” Burress said. “He’s consistent, he plays hard, he has great hands, and he has a great work ethic, so I have a lot of respect for D-Mase.”

A lineup with Holmes, Burress and Mason would still have plenty of challenges. Mason is 37, eight years older than Cotchery. Burress has not played since 2008 and twisted his ankle in practice this week, highlighting his vulnerability after two years away from the game. He was expected to miss one or two days of practice. Holmes only came to the Jets last season after serving a four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

EXTRA POINT

The Jets re-signed safety Brodney Pool, who joined the team last year after five years with the Cleveland Browns. Pool had 53 tackles, one interception and one fumble recovery in 2010, when he started 12 games.

I still don't understand why we want this guy. I'd rather roll with Patrick Turner as our 3WR or play some other young kid. We're talking about the 3WR position here. Even if Plax can't go and you need a #2, that person would still be the third target behind Holmes and Keller.

Our # 3 receiver will be playing the slot and taking a beating when he's not able to elude middle linebackers. Derrick Mason is much more qualified to do that than 6-5 Patrick Turner. Its the same reason why, while we're waiting to hear from Mason, diminutive Jeremy Kerley is taking the majority of the reps as the # 3/slot receiver.

If anything, Turner would be playing Plaxico's role on this team if Burress isn't healthy, NOT Cotchery's old role.

Our # 3 receiver will be playing the slot and taking a beating when he's not able to elude middle linebackers. Derrick Mason is much more qualified to do that than 6-5 Patrick Turner. Its the same reason why, while we're waiting to hear from Mason, diminutive Jeremy Kerley is taking the majority of the reps as the # 3/slot receiver.

If anything, Turner would be playing Plaxico's role on this team if Burress isn't healthy, NOT Cotchery's old role.

Never was that fond of Cotchery in the slot anyway. I'm wondering if Joe McKnight is going to get any run there or if he's strictly an RB. I wouldn't want to overload, but he seems suited to do that kind of thing now and then.

he wants to get to someones camp quickly but will have an answer in 2 days...what a dick....

That's got me a little irked too. I'm kinda in the middle on whether we should sign him or not, but jeez dude, with as short and hectic this camp and preseason is, you'd think he'd want to get his butt out there and get ready. He is a wily veteran though, and is probably just trying to burn as much time off the clock as possible 'till the preseason games start so he doesn't have to practice as much.

Saying that, maybe he's made up his mind and is going to go back to the Ravens? He already knows the system, so he feels he can sit out camp and come in at the end just as prepared as the rest of the offense. If not and he does come to the Jets...Well lets just say I hope some of the other veterans of this squad tell him right off the bat that this team ain't putting up with no prima-donna behavior, especially from a #3 WR, and that he better get that playbook down quick-like.

The more I think about our WR situation the more I would like to see us develop our young talent Kerley Turner Mcwhite no reason we cant carry 5 if at least 2 of the 3 kids can perform well on Sp-ecial Teams

You will get your wish/ Don;t care what Mason say's. He will resign with the Ravens for less money and ;eave his family where they are. I say we go with the young dudes for number 3 and bring Randy Moss for cash money Homie.

You will get your wish/ Don;t care what Mason say's. He will resign with the Ravens for less money and ;eave his family where they are. I say we go with the young dudes for number 3 and bring Randy Moss for cash money Homie.

IM WITH CRUSHER RANDY MOSS ALL FREEKIN DAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe they're in a position for me to really care about signing a 37 year old Derrick Mason...

Its been an offseason that, other than a week-long flurry of free agent signings, has been devoid of interesting news. Anything is better than the lockout.

According to Adam Schefter Mason just chose the Jets. Looks like we got ourselves a new WR.

holmes

burress

mason

lt

keller

possibly

kerley

mcnight

turner

i would have to agree with the nay sayers that tanny definetely set sanchez up to fail this year.(:rolls eyes:)

holmes

burress

mason

lt

keller

possibly

kerley

mcnight

turner

i would have to agree with the nay sayers that tanny definetely set sanchez up to fail this year.(:rolls eyes:)

Yeah, definitely... he basically assembled a group of weapons that Sanchez has no experience with, most of them have their AARP cards and most of them are gone again next year so the WR carousel will keep spinning around.

Yeah, definitely... he basically assembled a group of weapons that Sanchez has no experience with, most of them have their AARP cards and most of them are gone again next year so the WR carousel will keep spinning around.

this is the most receiving talent the jets have ever fielded.EVER.arguably ever fielded in the nfl.is it without risk? no.yes,i get the age thing and the prison thing.i do. but keeping cotch and edwards has big risk,also. cotchery was the true definition of "inconsitency" last year. injury ridden and couldnt catch a ball to save his life. he wanted out because he couldnt stand being 3rd fiddle and as it turned out,his performance last year,he couldnt even do that.edwards is a phucking retard.plain and simple.could he play? yes. lets forget about his multitude of off field incidents for a mommment.how about his on field behavior? doing back flips,dougies,10 & 15 yard penalties,dropping the ball mighty close to the goal line,etc,etc. there is a reason 1 team offered him a 1 year 1m deal.if sanchez cant get it done with this group,he aint ever gonna get it done.i would be worried more about the right side of the oline instead of marks receivers

this is the most receiving talent the jets have ever fielded.EVER.arguably ever fielded in the nfl.is it without risk? no.yes,i get the age thing and the prison thing.i do. but keeping cotch and edwards has big risk,also. cotchery was the true definition of "inconsitency" last year. injury ridden and couldnt catch a ball to save his life. he wanted out because he couldnt stand being 3rd fiddle and as it turned out,his performance last year,he couldnt even do that.edwards is a phucking retard.plain and simple.could he play? yes. lets forget about his multitude of off field incidents for a mommment.how about his on field behavior? doing back flips,dougies,10 & 15 yard penalties,dropping the ball mighty close to the goal line,etc,etc. there is a reason 1 team offered him a 1 year 1m deal.if sanchez cant get it done with this group,he aint ever gonna get it done.i would be worried more about the right side of the oline instead of marks receivers

good post. to me, the jets made a conscious effort to get inside slot guys, and I'm all for it. in the end, it will come down to hunter, as I expect moore to be ready. oh, and a real NFL back-up TE would be nice, but I remember not to long ago when the jets needed a HC and a QB B)

Archived