Carson Palmer / Bengals

Smashmouth

Was wondering what you guys thought about this situation. Personally I think the owner of the Bengals is a complete moron. If Carson does not want to play for the team work out a trade and get something for him. Hes obviously leaving a lot of money on the table but the owner is taking the stance that he signed a contract and should honor it. On the other side of the coin teams cut players everyday as do the Bengals so you really cant take that type of stance when teams constantly ask players to restructure or simply cut them. Sure that launguage is in the contract that teams always have that option but if the guys not happy and wants out because the organisation is a dysfuntional mess why cant they just work this out ?

If I were Carson Palmer I would show up for practice and do as little as possible until they released me. Im not saying be a dick about it I mean show up for all team activities then go home no extra film work or study just do what you have to. It would be interesting to see how the owner felt then having to pay him all those millions just to go through the motions.

They should do the right thing and either trade him or release him... like the Jets did with Cotchery. ;)

I agree. What would happen if Palmer shows up at the facility ? Would the Bengals have to pay him ?

How funny would it be if Carson was just hanging out in the gym and getting in line to eat then go lay down in the player lounge ( <- Joke) LOL . Could you get me a beer please !

I notice he isn't so righteous when he's asked to return a proportional amount of his tens of millions of dollars of bonus money.

Brown is a jackass and if he's not the worst franchise owner he's damn close. But he isn't wrong. Palmer had years left on his previous, less-lucrative rookie contract. They gave him a 6-year extension through 2014. You can't sign players to $100M+ contracts with 1/4 of it paid out after 1 year, and then cave to them when they want to keep their bonus money and leave their contracts 3 years early to play for someone else.

“I’m not expecting [
Carson Palmer
] to be back. Carson signed a contract, he made a commitment. He gave us his word. We relied on his word and his commitment. We expected him to perform here. If he is going to walk away from his commitment we aren’t going to reward him for doing it,” Brown said via the
Cincinnati Enquirer
when asked about a possible trade.

What's funny to me, and seemingly lost in all this, is that Carson Palmer is friggin' awful and turning down $11-13M/year to play QB for anyone is dumber than anything Brown is doing.

But the absolute funniest part in all this is that Brown has indirectly suggested that playing for a team other than the Bengals is a reward.

Classic.

I notice he isn't so righteous when he's asked to return a proportional amount of his tens of millions of dollars of bonus money.

Brown is a jackass and if he's not the worst franchise owner he's damn close. But he isn't wrong. Palmer had years left on his previous, less-lucrative rookie contract. They gave him a 6-year extension through 2014. You can't sign players to $100M+ contracts with 1/4 of it paid out after 1 year, and then cave to them when they want to keep their bonus money and leave their contracts 3 years early to play for someone else.

“I’m not expecting [
Carson Palmer
] to be back. Carson signed a contract, he made a commitment. He gave us his word. We relied on his word and his commitment. We expected him to perform here. If he is going to walk away from his commitment we aren’t going to reward him for doing it,” Brown said via the
Cincinnati Enquirer
when asked about a possible trade.

What's funny to me, and seemingly lost in all this, is that Carson Palmer is friggin' awful and turning down $11-13M/year to play QB for anyone is dumber than anything Brown is doing.

But the absolute funniest part in all this is that Brown has indirectly suggested that playing for a team other than the Bengals is a reward.

Classic.

Have some compassion for your fellow human beings man. I wouldn't wish playing on the Bengals to anybody. Hell even Tom Brady, whom I despise, or Phillip Rivers. Nobody should suffer like that.

Anyway it backfired completely on the Bungles. Nobody is willing to sign with them. They are literally sitting on this huge salary cap required spending floor and nobody will play for them. They can't re-sign their FAs and nothing but the absolute garbage of the garbage FAs will sign with them. You can't screw over your players and expect other players to want to play for your franchise.

The Eagles and Jets are both known for being player friendly now, so they have a far easier time in getting quality FAs than other teams especially like the Bungles.

I don't blame Carson one bit. He ought to just show up in practice and then do nothing.

They should release him. I'm not sure how his contract was structured, but if he did receive a disproportionate amount of it, they should be able to come to some sort of settlement on Palmer returning some money.

But Brown is a joke. With all the players he's brought in over the years, how can you expect a good guy like Palmer to want to stay.

Guys like Adam Jones, Tank Johnson, C. Henry, C. Benson, O. Thurman, T.O. The team was like a circus.

Have some compassion for your fellow human beings man. I wouldn't wish playing on the Bengals to anybody. Hell even Tom Brady, whom I despise, or Phillip Rivers. Nobody should suffer like that.

Anyway it backfired completely on the Bungles. Nobody is willing to sign with them. They are literally sitting on this huge salary cap required spending floor and nobody will play for them. They can't re-sign their FAs and nothing but the absolute garbage of the garbage FAs will sign with them. You can't screw over your players and expect other players to want to play for your franchise.

The Eagles and Jets are both known for being player friendly now, so they have a far easier time in getting quality FAs than other teams especially like the Bungles.

I don't blame Carson one bit. He ought to just show up in practice and then do nothing.

I would enjoy watching Tom Brady playing for the Bengals... ;)

Then let him return the amortized portion of his signing bonus.

And to show compassion for my fellow man, I wish upon you the indignation of playing for the Bengals for $12M a year for the next 3 years. Poor bastard.

Then let him return the amortized portion of his signing bonus.

And to show compassion for my fellow man, I wish upon you the indignation of playing for the Bengals for $12M a year for the next 3 years. Poor bastard.

That signing bonus is earned when he signs, unless the contract says otherwise. When you make a non-refundable deposit for something you don't get to have that money back if you change your mind. When you hire an attorney and pay an availability retainer you don't get part of it back if you later decide you don't want to pursue the case or you want a different attorney.

The reason for these arrangements is precisely because you can change your mind later. The Bengals can cut Palmer whenever they want, hence why they pay a signing bonus.

Also if I already had $50M or whatever Palmer has made, I wouldn't bother playing for the Bengals. I would just travel the world instead and be retired.

That signing bonus is earned when he signs, unless the contract says otherwise. When you make a non-refundable deposit for something you don't get to have that money back if you change your mind. When you hire an attorney and pay an availability retainer you don't get part of it back if you later decide you don't want to pursue the case or you want a different attorney.

The reason for these arrangements is precisely because you can change your mind later. The Bengals can cut Palmer whenever they want, hence why they pay a signing bonus.

Also if I already had $50M or whatever Palmer has made, I wouldn't bother playing for the Bengals. I would just travel the world instead and be retired.

The SB wasn't an availability retainer. It was advance payment of salary, meant to discourage the team from cutting the player right away.

Even so, using your example that doesnt apply here, you have it backwards: the analogy in your example would be paying a retainer to a lawyer and then the lawyer quits on you and keeps your retainer money while suggesting you get another lawyer.

Archived