Jets Won't rule Out Peyton Manning, or Any Other QB

flgreen

Jets won’t rule out Peyton Manning, or any other quarterback

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 23, 2012, 4:04 PM EST

peytonmanninggettystephendunn460.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

Jets coach Rex Ryan has been steadfast in his support of quarterback Mark Sanchez, and he spoke in favor of Sanchez again today when he met with reporters at the Scouting Combine. But when asked to rule out the Jets going after Peyton Manning, Ryan declined.

Instead, what Ryan said is that while he believes Sanchez will be a star, he also said the Jets “will look at any possibility that’s out there at quarterback.”

By rule Ryan can’t talk about Manning until the Colts cut him, but Ryan wouldn’t close the door on the Jets going after Manning once the Colts do cut him.

“We will do what’s in the best interest of our organization,” Ryan said. “That means we’ll . . . look at all the possibilities.”

One of the major questions that came up after the Jets concluded what Ryan called a terrible season was whether the Jets’ locker room has as much faith in Sanchez as Ryan does. In an appearance on the NFL Network set after his press conference in Indianapolis today, Ryan insisted that the Jets will have a tight-knit locker room in 2012.

“I’m not going to promise anything about a Super Bowl,” Ryan said. “But I promise we are going to be a football team and we are going to be tight. There’s no doubt about it.”

But there’s at least a little doubt about whether Sanchez will be the leader in that tight locker room.

Jets won’t rule out Peyton Manning, or any other quarterback

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 23, 2012, 4:04 PM EST

peytonmanninggettystephendunn460.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

Jets coach Rex Ryan has been steadfast in his support of quarterback Mark Sanchez, and he spoke in favor of Sanchez again today when he met with reporters at the Scouting Combine. But when asked to rule out the Jets going after Peyton Manning, Ryan declined.

Instead, what Ryan said is that while he believes Sanchez will be a star, he also said the Jets “will look at any possibility that’s out there at quarterback.”

By rule Ryan can’t talk about Manning until the Colts cut him, but Ryan wouldn’t close the door on the Jets going after Manning once the Colts do cut him.

“We will do what’s in the best interest of our organization,” Ryan said. “That means we’ll . . . look at all the possibilities.”

One of the major questions that came up after the Jets concluded what Ryan called a terrible season was whether the Jets’ locker room has as much faith in Sanchez as Ryan does. In an appearance on the NFL Network set after his press conference in Indianapolis today, Ryan insisted that the Jets will have a tight-knit locker room in 2012.

“I’m not going to promise anything about a Super Bowl,” Ryan said. “But I promise we are going to be a football team and we are going to be tight. There’s no doubt about it.

But there’s at least a little doubt about whether Sanchez will be the leader in that tight locker room.

I'm sure he said the same thing on that swinger's website...

Imagine the Packers/Pats/Giants/Saints/Chargers/Steelers/Eagles/Lions/Texans making that comment about the quarterback situation. The fact that we're contemplating a replacement for a top 5 draft pick quarterback within 3 years should tell you enough. Get a clue and stop living a lie, Sanchez is awful. I guarantee McElroy beats him out in an unbiased competition.

Imagine the Packers/Pats/Giants/Saints/Chargers/Steelers/Eagles/Lions/Texans making that comment about the quarterback situation. The fact that we're contemplating a replacement for a top 5 draft pick quarterback within 3 years should tell you enough. Get a clue and stop living a lie, Sanchez is awful. I guarantee McElroy beats him out in an unbiased competition.

You must be under 30...

I'll say this again:

• We can not afford Peyton Manning- $36 Million a year would get rid of 5 veterans JUST TO KEEP HIM FOR 1 Year
  • We really can not afford him even if we get him to restructure - how do we pay for a decent backup QB When if we get him, we have to get rid of Sanchez due to cap room?
  • We do not know the true damage to his spine - a major hit & we get left without a good backup & F-Up for many seasons
  • We do not know if he can even play this year or even if he needs at least 2 years of rehab, just to get ready

And the "Girl Crush" for a former Superstar no longer in his prime (he isn't) continues... :blowup:

Did the original poster inform everyone that even thought the article is on NBC Sports/MSNBC's website, it's actually a post (JUST LIKE WE DO HERE ON A DAILY BASIS) on Pro Football Talk - A FAN FORUM?!

This is why most of us post the link - like this article's

http://profootballta...er-quarterback/

Good point, but there is a HUGE difference in saying "Mark is my guy" and "we will look at any possibilities that is out there at QB".

Think it all you want, but to say it is another thing.

This could lead to a point where Woody has to decide on keeping Rex or Sanchez.

I like the way Rex Ryan's face contorts when the subject of Mark Sanchez comes up. He's like a dad at a Christmas party talking about his 30 year old, black sheep son who dropped out of high school: "Oh, uh, Jimmy? Yeah, he's doing, uh, good. You know. Just last week, he finished in the Top Five in voting for Employee of the Month over there at PetSmart. Yeah. He's almost got Skyrim beat, too."

I would puke if the Jets chase this fools gold. Manning is done. 36 years old, 4 NECK surgeries, hasn't played since the Jets beat him in the playoffs two seasons ago. Yeah.... that's the guy I want

I would puke if the Jets chase this fools gold. Manning is done. 36 years old, 4 NECK surgeries, hasn't played since the Jets beat him in the playoffs two seasons ago. Yeah.... that's the guy I want

And your QB plan is...

He gets nowhere near that next year...

He knows that and that is why he said he will accomodate the team that signs him.

I would bet he signs a one year contract in the hopes of getting another relatively decent payday.

I like the way Rex Ryan's face contorts when the subject of Mark Sanchez comes up. He's like a dad at a Christmas party talking about his 30 year old, black sheep son who dropped out of high school: "Oh, uh, Jimmy? Yeah, he's doing, uh, good. You know. Just last week, he finished in the Top Five in voting for Employee of the Month over there at PetSmart. Yeah. He's almost got Skyrim beat, too."

I KNEW I knew you from SOMEWHERE. So it WAS you in our living room back in New Jersey '85-I kept asking my mother "who IS that guy talking to dad about MY future?"

And your QB plan is...

It all starts with not chasing Manning. Listen, I'm as bummed about the way Sanchez played as anyone, and I honestly do not know whether he will ever be THE guy, but I am not a jump the ship kind of person. I think 3 years, especially when two of them went to the AFC championship game, is too short a time to throw the guy away. I like giving guys a real chance to develop. He has had to get to know new WR's every year and played in Schotty's system, which I am not a fan of at all. He has shown flashes of both solid QB play and mind blowing mistakes. I say we get a Jason Campbell type of guy in here to press Sanchez and go to work. We do realize that for all of Manning's greatness he has only one ring right? Throw that on top of all the surgeries, the age, no dome, NY media, and the fact that he hasn't played in a year, and it's a recipe for the newest in a long line of big name moves that blows up in our faces. No thank you!!!!!!!!

He's like a dad at a Christmas party talking about his 30 year old, black sheep son who dropped out of high school.

Good.

"Oh, uh, Jimmy? Yeah, he's doing, uh, good. You know. Just last week, he finished in the Top Five in voting for Employee of the Month over there at PetSmart."

Better.

"He's almost got Skyrim beat, too."

Awesome.

Good point dude,my sentiments exactly.

Archived