Mornhinweg says Jets can get by without an accurate quarterback

F.Chowds

Slats is going to hate this comment: "I think he is opening the door for Tebow to be the starter if they can't make a deal for an established quarterback." Look on te bright side, you get to hang out with IncubusPack (IPack) for another year.

This really sucks if true because I can't imagine they would have the balls to commit to Tebow. I see another cluster fuc. for 2013.

The good news is Martys WCO will be a Million times better then the sack of fowl smelling sh*t we had to watch in 2012. The bad news is we have zero offensive talent currently to run it. The overall good news is one year of cap Hell and 2014 is going to be so much better.

Among the many problems for the Jets’ offense last season was that quarterback Mark Sanchez completed just 54.3 percent of his passes, ranking 30th of 32 qualifying quarterbacks. But new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg says that’s not necessarily that big a problem.

Asked in an interview on the Jets’ website if there’s a certain completion percentage benchmark that he’ll need his quarterback to reach, Mornhinweg answered, “No, absolutely not.”

Mornhinweg went on to say that he has seen quarterbacks have great seasons without great completion percentages.

“Some of the great ones have really not thrown for such great accuracy,” Mornhinweg said. “Steve Young was astronomical accuracy-wise. Brett Favre wasn’t. Brett Favre, I believe won an MVP two different times out of the three times that he won it, throwing 58, 59, 60 percent, somewhere in there. So they all come in different shapes and sizes.”

For the record, in the three seasons that Favre was MVP he completed 63.0, 59.9 and 59.3 percent of his passes. In four NFL seasons Sanchez has never completed more than 56.7 percent of his passes. So even if Favre wasn’t known for great accuracy, Sanchez still has work to do to get to Favre’s level. It’s also important to note that NFL passing offenses have changed significantly in the years since Favre was winning MVPs. Favre’s 59.3 percent completion rate in 1997 was tied for sixth in the NFL. In 2012 there were 20 NFL quarterbacks with a better completion percentage than that.

And, of course, if your completion percentage is going to be low, you’d better be making big plays downfield. Sanchez wasn’t: He averaged just 6.4 yards a pass and threw just 13 touchdown passes last season. Mornhinweg acknowledged that a less accurate passer needs to make up for it by making more big plays.

“Those guys that throw for a little bit less accuracy typically are generating a little bit bigger plays on occasion. There’s a little bit of a tradeoff there,” Mornhinweg said.

Overall, Mornhinweg said the Jets are going to have an agressive, physical offense this year.

“We’re gonna go after people,” Mornhinweg said. “There are different ways to go after people, but we’re going to go after ’em and we’re going to play to our players’ strengths rather than concerning ourselves too much about their weaknesses.”

It will be easier to do that if the Jets are completing more than 55 percent of their passes

I like what im reading. Sanchez will be a 3 time MVP! 

Mornhinweg went on to say that he has seen quarterbacks have great seasons without great completion percentages.

“Those guys that throw for a little bit less accuracy typically are generating a little bit bigger plays on occasion. There’s a little bit of a tradeoff there,” Mornhinweg said.

“We’re gonna go after people,” Mornhinweg said. “There are different ways to go after people, but we’re going to go after ’em and we’re going to play to our players’ strengths rather than concerning ourselves too much about their weaknesses.”

That sounds like only one of the QBs on the roster...here's a hint...it's not Sanchez, McElroy or Simms.

The article doesn't address the high completion % to the opposing team which, when coupled with fumbles, doesn't constitute going after people. 

Ha ha.  MM says he can get by with an inaccurate QB if he has big play ability.  Sanchez loses again.  Tell me MM, you are such a whiz, what can you make of an inaccurate, happy footed, one read, duck and chucker with no big play ability?  Well, if he can run.....No, MM, he cannot run either.  He is slower than Mangold.  come to think of it, he does not duck and chuck.  He just ducks, and often lies down.  No reason for this article.  It implies that Sanchez might have a chance.  Fact is, Sanchez only chance is Tattoo Boy's undying love for him.

Slats is going to hate this comment: "I think he is opening the door for Tebow to be the starter if they can't make a deal for an established quarterback." Look on te bright side, you get to hang out with IncubusPack (IPack) for another year.

This really sucks if true because I can't imagine they would have the balls to commit to Tebow. I see another cluster fuc. for 2013.

Missed this earlier.  I took it more to expect us to get a stop gap guy like Quinn or Garrard and hope they can be adequate in a low risk WCO that does not rely on the QB to win games.  Yet, if they did decide to go with Tebow from the start and allowed him to run (run) the WCO I could see him being very entertaining at it.  We saw last year that Tebow is to slow and too cumbersome to run a wildcat like a Kapernick or a B Smith type.  But put him in space on a play that spreads out the D into pass coverage and he can make things happen.  I think the best we could hope for next year is to be competitive and see a team developing for years to come. I do think it's a safe bet that 2013's QB most likely will not be the QB of the future. Might be around 2014 to allow our 2013 heir apparent to acclimate slowly but beyond that a back up at best.  

Missed this earlier.  I took it more to expect us to get a stop gap guy like Quinn or Garrard and hope they can be adequate in a low risk WCO that does not rely on the QB to win games.  Yet, if they did decide to go with Tebow from the start and allowed him to run (run) the WCO I could see him being very entertaining at it.  We saw last year that Tebow is to slow and too cumbersome to run a wildcat like a Kapernick or a B Smith type.  But put him in space on a play that spreads out the D into pass coverage and he can make things happen.  I think the best we could hope for next year is to be competitive and see a team developing for years to come. I do think it's a safe bet that 2013's QB most likely will not be the QB of the future. Might be around 2014 to allow our 2013 heir apparent to acclimate slowly but beyond that a back up at best.  

The only thing I see out of bringing in guys like Garrard or Quinn is that they want to give Sanchez one last shot.   Quinn sucks.  He's worse than Sanchez.  The guy just came from ND and everybody thought he was the next great thing.   Garrard is ok if he's healthy. Problem is he hasn't been healthy since 2010. And it's not like one of those nagging injuries and he misses a few games.  He hasn't thrown a pass in a game since 2010. 

When these are the names thrown out there, it kind of says Sanchez will probably be the favorite to start.

The only thing I see out of bringing in guys like Garrard or Quinn is that they want to give Sanchez one last shot.   Quinn sucks.  He's worse than Sanchez.  The guy just came from ND and everybody thought he was the next great thing.   Garrard is ok if he's healthy. Problem is he hasn't been healthy since 2010. And it's not like one of those nagging injuries and he misses a few games.  He hasn't thrown a pass in a game since 2010. 

When these are the names thrown out there, it kind of says Sanchez will probably be the favorite to start.

I would like to disagree because if not I might start crying like a little girl. ((whimpering))

Archived