Suggestions for a good used car.

joewilly12

The Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4, probably looking at 8-10 years old in your price range. For sedans, the Honda Accord in the same age range, or a little later model Ford Fusion.

We've had a CRV since 2008. Least sexy vehicle ever, but if you are all about the utilitarian aspects of a vehicle and don't need it to reflect "who you are" in some way, then this vehicle is about as good as it gets.

We've had a CRV since 2008. Least sexy vehicle ever, but if you are all about the utilitarian aspects of a vehicle and don't need it to reflect "who you are" in some way, then this vehicle is about as good as it gets.

I am on my third CRV- great vehicle dependable and has lots of room- recommend it to anyone.

I had a forrester as a company car for many years. It goes thru anything. I worked on construction sites and had to drive thru you name it. Only problem I had was tranny issues at 172k miles.

Another great one is the Rav4 we bought for my wife this past summer. 2011. Awsome vehicle so far. We did our homework and this came out on top. Nissan has some sort of tranny issues with their variable speed transmission. We liked the rogue and murano and test drove them but did some digging online and our mechanic said that I was correct. Stay away..

Good Luck.

Nobody came in here to tell him to lease yet?  Almost everybody makes a decent car nowadays, but it depends what you want.  I am a Mopar guy.  They are good to buy used because they have horrible resale.  OTOH, if you ever want to sell them you are ****ed.  I would say to get down to the few cars you are interested in and hit their forums.  It is pretty easy to tell what the common problems are.  Then you know what you are in for and if you can live with it.  For instance, the CVT on that Rogue.  Sometimes it just means big repair bills, other times there are cheap and easy work arounds.  I remember my friend buying used Lincoln Mark VIII, but budgeting in converting out the troublesome air suspension. 

Used Hondas with over 100k miles that dealers want mega bucks for no thanks leaning towards a used Nissan Rogue reasonably priced AWD shopping for a decent used car sucks

You get what you pay for.

I like Nissan. I've had a couple Maximas and currently drive an Infiniti, but for the smallish SUV, the Honda or Toyota is the way to go. Which has pretty much been the consensus opinion in this thread.

But it's your money. If you still want to buy the car you named in your original post that no one else seconded, good luck with that.

Just can't see laying down $14,000 for a 2008 Honda CRV with 147,000 miles on it.

I know car shopping is frustrating. You just gotta hang in there. the CRV I brought home yesterday I got for $16.2k and only had 33k on it. It takes some searching.

Idk where you are, but hackettstown Honda in nj had some other good deals as well.

I know car shopping is frustrating. You just gotta hang in there. the CRV I brought home yesterday I got for $16.2k and only had 33k on it. It takes some searching.

Idk where you are, but hackettstown Honda in nj had some other good deals as well.

Thanks I will check them out I'm about 45 minutes from there. 

Looked at 3 used Muranos today at a Nissan dealer in North Plainfield these cars were hammered. 

You are in love with the Nissans, huh?  I would probably lean Toyota over high mileage Honda.  Hondas are great, but can be spendy to fix and with that kind of mileage you will be fixing.  If you want cheap, why not look American?  Ford Escapes have to be cheaper and they are decent enough if bland. 

I am the GM of a big used car lot in a large auto group in Pa. Before you buy anything get me the stats and I will plug them into V-Auto and make sure you do not over pay.

Facts and figures are great thanks the problem is used cars are selling for crazy prices these days you would know that. 

Looking at 2010=2011=2012 Nissan Rogues with low mileage whats the price ranges I should be paying. 

Thanks 

Facts and figures are great thanks the problem is used cars are selling for crazy prices these days you would know that. 

Looking at 2010=2011=2012 Nissan Rogues with low mileage whats the price ranges I should be paying. 

Thanks 

edmunds.com

Thanks

That is some what of a loaded question because not all cars are equipped the same. A moonroof will add about $1200 to the price plus there are different trim levels, all variables affecting price along with milage and car fax report. With that being said I looked at our program in a 250 mile radius and found the lowest price was $10,995.00 with 114k miles and the highest was $16970.00 with 23k miles. all of these were 2010 with the SL package and AWD so it is an apples to apples comparison.

You have to be careful putting all your eggs in the consumer guides basket. Edmaonds, KBB, NADA etc. They are guides and do not always reflect true market conditions. They collect data quarterly and then put out their reports, only problem is they are giving old data. Dealers use live market reports and Manhiem acution reports daily so as to keep up with current conditions.

I have cars I would love to sell for the suggested Kelly Blue Book price because it is alot higher then our price because it is old information.

If you find a Rogue you like give me the vin number and options and I will plug it in and see where it should be priced in the current market.

You're asking for trouble if you're going to limit yourself to Nissan Rogues and Muranos....these are hardly known for their off-road prowess and reliability.

The fact he said AWD instead of 4WD makes me think he is more worried about driving in the snow more than off-road prowess.  Reliability is another matter.   For the record, I am not super impressed with AWD.  Front wheel drive and good snow tires can probably do 99% of what most AWD cars can.

AWD:  I have a 2006 suburban that I bought for 15k in 2009. Leather, sunroof, everything..but it's 2WD.  Why 2wd?  Because it handles michigan snowy roads just fine, it can tow 500lbs more than the 4wds, and I get 20.4mpg on the hwy.  I can pull a 2000lb boy scout trailer and still get 19.5mpg.

Car#2: An '08 Prius I bought in 2012.  This goes to my wife or I, depending on who commutes the farthest that day.  I'll let you know If it ever needs maintenance beyond an oil change, or gets less than 46mpg.  Hasn't happened yet.

New car?  nope.  I've played and lost that game enough.

You're asking for trouble if you're going to limit yourself to Nissan Rogues and Muranos....these are hardly known for their off-road prowess and reliability.

Just looking for a commuter SUV something that if needed will perform well in the snow not my primary vehicle basically a beater grocery getter. 

That is some what of a loaded question because not all cars are equipped the same. A moonroof will add about $1200 to the price plus there are different trim levels, all variables affecting price along with milage and car fax report. With that being said I looked at our program in a 250 mile radius and found the lowest price was $10,995.00 with 114k miles and the highest was $16970.00 with 23k miles. all of these were 2010 with the SL package and AWD so it is an apples to apples comparison.

You have to be careful putting all your eggs in the consumer guides basket. Edmaonds, KBB, NADA etc. They are guides and do not always reflect true market conditions. They collect data quarterly and then put out their reports, only problem is they are giving old data. Dealers use live market reports and Manhiem acution reports daily so as to keep up with current conditions.

I have cars I would love to sell for the suggested Kelly Blue Book price because it is alot higher then our price because it is old information.

If you find a Rogue you like give me the vin number and options and I will plug it in and see where it should be priced in the current market.

Thanks I really appreciate that offer. Will keep you posted. 

Archived