Jets Hope Carpenter Will Help Fix Chronic O-Line Issue

JetNation

Which is why we should be trading down in the 1st round, stacking draft picks and getting our OT in the 1st round, and our G & C in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

I am beginning to think this is the best course of action.  

Which is why we should be trading down in the 1st round, stacking draft picks and getting our OT in the 1st round, and our G & C in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Yeah but u have to find a partner to trade down with. Mariota is not falling to 6 unless Kelly no longer has a chubby for him.

Makes me feel so much better man. Can I read this post when I'm watching the patriots play the giants in next year's Super Bowl again?

Pats hadn't won a bowl in a decade, Revis put them over the top to have another home playoff run.

As far as them "winning the Super Bowl"

I like to say Seattle lost the Super Bowl.

Giants vs a Pats, lmao!

There is no way in hell that the Giants have a defense good enough to win a bowl.

I am beginning to think this is the best course of action.  

I think so as well. There's alot of talent in the draft outside of the 1st round, even for pass rushers. We have holes to fill on the Oline as well as depth at WR, RB, LB and a QB to develop. the 6th pick is high enough to trade back at least twice. I'd rather see the Jets pick in the mid 20's in the first round, with a high 2nd round and like 3 3rd round picks. We could get our OT in the 1st, WR in the 2nd and our RB/G/C/QB in the 3rd round. We can trade a 3rd for Glennon, pick up guys like Ali Marpet, Jay Ajayi, Ameer Abdullah, Duke Johnson, Josue Matias, Tevin Coleman, Jeremy Langford, Phillip Dorsett, Tre McBride, Rashad Greene, Andy Gallik, Hroniss Grasu etc. Most of these guys will be available in the 3rd round. 

I would go as far as trading down in the 2nd to pick up mid 2nd and 3rd rounders. There will be quality WR's in the mid to late 2nd round. for the DGB lovers out there, I believe he'll still be on the board by then. 

I think so as well. There's alot of talent in the draft outside of the 1st round, even for pass rushers. We have holes to fill on the Oline as well as depth at WR, RB, LB and a QB to develop. the 6th pick is high enough to trade back at least twice. I'd rather see the Jets pick in the mid 20's in the first round, with a high 2nd round and like 3 3rd round picks. We could get our OT in the 1st, WR in the 2nd and our RB/G/C/QB in the 3rd round. We can trade a 3rd for Glennon, pick up guys like Ali Marpet, Jay Ajayi, Ameer Abdullah, Duke Johnson, Josue Matias, Tevin Coleman, Jeremy Langford, Phillip Dorsett, Tre McBride, Rashad Greene, Andy Gallik, Hroniss Grasu etc. Most of these guys will be available in the 3rd round. 

I KNEW that was coming lol!! 

Yeah but u have to find a partner to trade down with. Mariota is not falling to 6 unless Kelly no longer has a chubby for him.

Its not all about Mariota. If we trade with a team like Cleveland they could also be looking for a WR. We can trade with the Saints since they have pics to play with. Teams in the mid 20's could be looking for pass rushers. 

It wont be as hard to find a partner when you're picking damn near top 5. 

This is not a good pass protecting OL. We couldn't block the bills last season now they have Rex with his creative blitzes. The dolphins signed Suh and we face the NFC east next year with guys like JPP and Greg Hardy.

Idzik neglected the secondary last season and it killed our season. Mac is neglecting the OL now.

OLB/pass rusher is an overrated need. OL is a very underrated need.

wut ?   they need another guard and they have the draft to do that

settle down, lol

Its not all about Mariota. If we trade with a team like Cleveland they could also be looking for a WR. We can trade with the Saints since they have pics to play with. Teams in the mid 20's could be looking for pass rushers.

It wont be as hard to find a partner when you're picking damn near top 5.

Besides mariota because he's a qb what player at 6 can we get a package for? Cooper I suppose but nobody else.

This is not a good pass protecting OL. We couldn't block the bills last season now they have Rex with his creative blitzes. The dolphins signed Suh and we face the NFC east next year with guys like JPP and Greg Hardy.

Idzik neglected the secondary last season and it killed our season. Mac is neglecting the OL now.

I also like Scherff  and would jump for joy if we took him, but the bolded is incorrect.   How can anyone say that the GM has neglected the OL when you upgraded 1 of the OG positions and have added competition at the other and at the RT position. 

Isn't Andrus Peat visiting the team this week?  So how is Mac neglecting the OL???   He signed Carpenter, Hilliard, Brewer plus add blocking TE Kellen Davis.  Again how is he neglecting the OL?  Because he didn't sign who you thought he should?  Maybe they weren't interested in playing for the Jets and I am glad he didn't overpay for the Iupatis of the world.   Carpenter is a good young player; Hilliard is a quality back up who can start if necessary and Brewer adds veteran depth and it probably didn't cost much more as if we had signed Iupati alone.  I am sure Mac is going to continue to bolster the line; you really need to have a little patience.

That's not healthy!

Carpenter was one of our first FA moves, Brewer was a solid addition, former 2nd round pick, that is a former first rounder and a 2nd rounder, that isn't neglecting the OL.  Add them to Mangold and Ferguson, the core of the line.  This isn't a journeyman OL, there is plenty of talent up and down the depth chart. 

Aboushi and Winters are still developing players, Aboushi played well when he settled in, Winters got hurt, he was up and down, but flashed, they still have hopefuls who have potential in Dozier, and Freeman is a quality depth C who also played pretty well in his only start.

You're overstating the state of the OL, they don't suck and they aren't mediocre, and the OL is going to be tested when a young developing QB that doesn't yet have the respect of defenses is running the team, or when the offensive philosophy is ground and pound.  Once the offense opens up and the QB play improves, whether it is Geno or whoever, and now with legit talent being added to the team at the skill positions finally after several years, suddenly, the OL will dramatically improve. 

There is no freaking way we should be drafting OL at #6 that would be stupid with the talent we do have assembled currently.

Ever think the OL problems were tied into an inexperienced, probably unprepared QB? Amazing how Den, NE, GB OLs never seem to be an issue.

So which one of these former Guards arec we kicking out to Tackle?

Carpenter and Brewer have both played T in the NFL.  Winters, Aboushi and Dozier were all tackles in college.  They also added Hilliard who has a bunch of years experience playing tackle in the NFL.  I imagine that camp will be a free for all while they decide who to try where.  I wouldn't call anybody a "former guard" except Colon and even he played RT for several years with the Steelers. 

So which one of these former Guards arec we kicking out to Tackle?

Was thinking Aboushi since he showed some ability last season but really not a lot of confidence in any of them being able to play OT.  Dozier, maybe?

Was thinking Aboushi since he showed some ability last season but really not a lot of confidence in any of them being able to play OT.  Dozier, maybe?

Out of the bunch, Dozier seems least likely to swap back.  If I remember correctly, his draft profile listed him as a road grader that would probably switch to G in the NFL.  Aboushi is the one that they tried at T as a rookie.  He needed strength and looked a bit lost in the preseason of 2013, but seemed much better in 2014.  Dozier (Furman) and Winters (Kent St) were smaller school guys, while Aboushi played T in the ACC. 

Out of the bunch, Dozier seems least likely to swap back.  If I remember correctly, his draft profile listed him as a road grader that would probably switch to G in the NFL.  Aboushi is the one that they tried at T as a rookie.  He needed strength and looked a bit lost in the preseason of 2013, but seemed much better in 2014.  Dozier (Furman) and Winters (Kent St) were smaller school guys, while Aboushi played T in the ACC. 

Yep..that's why he'd be my first guess.  Dozier would only be my second because I'm not convinced Winters is going to stick around unless he improves dramatically.  Hell, the hit he allowed on Geno played a huge part in losing that BG game, he got blown up.

Anybody have any insight on what this coaching staff wants on the O-line?  Marshall seems like a lifer that has been bouncing around forever.  He was on the first Texans staff with Capers and got bounced (that offensive line is generally credited with "ruining" David Carr) when Capers got the boot.  He had Joe Thomas as a rookie with the Browns and got canned with Crennel when Mangini took over.  He's been with a ton of colleges.  Maybe more of a technique guy than a philosophy.  I think we got a little hung up on giving line coaches credit when Callahan was here.  Heller is still around as "Assistant Assistant"  Gailey runs spread, but I thought of the Browns O more along the Jets, fairly conservative. 

Would post a face palm pic but I'm too lazy.

Some of us just speculate because unlike you we don't have all the answers.  I suppose they could always just carry 9 guards.

When it comes to the OL you should Aim High.

I tend to think that should be the case at every position...but what do I know?

What positions should we be aiming to acquire injury prone street free agents with no track record of quality play?

Now they have re-signed Ijalana.  The Jets have used him as a backup swing tackle for the past couple of years.  He was actually highly rated (PFF, I know, I know) during the 2013 preseason.  He also played some G.  Ijalana was a top 50 pick in 2011, but had 5 surgeries his first 2 years (left ACL twice).  He came from Villanova and projected as a G coming out.

Archived