Getting Punched Was Best thing for Jets AND Geno

JetBlue

Fitz' veteran leadership has been on display for two weeks and while he does have some limitations physically, he makes up for them with his savvy and knowledge of this offense.  He is kind of a like an extension of Bowles on the field in that he maintains a calm demeanor and that carries over to the offense.    His command of the offense makes it easy for the players to trust him.   So far he has not made the GLARING morale killing mistake that become so common under Smith.  Now 2-0, the players surely believe in him and his ability to get the job done.  

For Geno, this is the first time in his young career that he can actually sit, watch and learn from a true veteran quarterback.   This is what he needed to have done to start his career.  I know it is popular on this board to dump all over the guy but this may wind up paying dividends down the road.   Between Petty and Geno both carry clipboards this year (barring injury) they both could and should become better players.   That is really a WIN WIN for us.  Before folks laugh at the idea of Geno every playing again, please look at some of the sorry ass quarterbacks who are currently starting.   

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not so sure getting punched was good for anyone, Jets included, but I do HOPE he makes the best of this situation and learns the offense while being on the sidelines...

I would be utterly, and entirely shocked if Fitz plays 16 games... It's not his M.O... at some point in Oct, Nov, etc - the wheels are going to come off, like they did for a quarter last night. Geno better be effin' ready when that time comes.

at some point in Oct, Nov, etc - the wheels are going to come off

If we are going by MO's, Geno's is to be the worst starting QB in the league

It's possible Fitz can improve, right? Late-ish career guy finding his stride in the right situation. Could be a Rich Gannon or vinny T situation. 

i'm not so sure getting punched was good for anyone, Jets included, but I do HOPE he makes the best of this situation and learns the offense while being on the sidelines...

I would be utterly, and entirely SHOCKED if Fitz plays 16 games... It's not his M.O... at some point in Oct, Nov, etc - the wheels are going to come off, like they did for a quarter last night. Geno better effin' ready when that time comes.

You are right I didn't mean that he deserved to get punched.   I simply meant that it may have worked out for both him and the team even if it is for the short term. 

Also I am inclined to agree with you about Fitz; I think Geno will see the field again at some point this season.   It will be his chance to prove he deserves another opportunity to start in this league, whether it is for the Jets or another team. 

It's possible Fitz can improve, right? Late-ish career guy finding his stride in the right situation. Could be a Rich Gannon or vinny T situation. 

Bit, your assessment of our roster talent is about as astute as your draft analysis - which is to say suspect at best. 

So Fitz can reinvent himself at 40 from a turnover proned lawn chair, but Geno (who's younger and honestly more talented) can't? 

Have another burger. 

You realize he has only played 2 years, and should have been on the sidelines learning for most of them, right?   Bingo

Yep, I watch every game usually more than once. You rarely get that luxury in todays NFL. Just dont think Geno will ever be the guy. Constantly something with him it seems, on or off the field.

For many it's as if the last two years didn't exist.  

"Fritz" is doing great. There's a gameplan and he's executing within it. For past two games, I don't think I can recall a single instance where our QB held the ball too long or has taken a helpless coverage sack - I'm sure this feels as foreign to many of you as it does to me.

Bit, your assessment of our roster talent is about as astute as your draft analysis - which is to say suspect at best. 

So Fitz can reinvent himself at 40 from a turnover proned lawn chair, but Geno (who's younger and honestly more talented) can't? 

Have another burger. 

The "Hate" has gotten to ridiculous levels. 

Geno probably looked better on the practice field in camp. He has a tendency to look good when it doesn't matter and awful when it does. What the punch did was save us from 2-4 losses before Bowles decided it was time to yank out Geno and stick in Fitz assuming Bowles and the rest of the staff can't get Geno to something more than a bottom of the league passer. I don't see anything about Geno that has changed my mind about his attitude or decision-making since the start of training camp to dissuade me from that assumption. I am open to the idea that he is learning from the coaches and Fitz but given how disengaged he seems during the games it doesn't seem that way. I'd like to be wrong.

For many it's as if the last two years didn't exist.  

"Fritz" is doing great. There's a gameplan and he's executing within it. For past two games, I don't think I can recall a single instance where our QB held the ball too long or has taken a helpless coverage sack - I'm sure this feels as foreign to many of you as it does to me.

no doubt -- did you watch Fitz w/ HOU and TEN?? 

You guys gotta be kidding me! We had 63 turnovers last night and couldn't put a 2 score gap between us and the Colts, meanwhile "the magic" spent 2 quarters throwing ducks to a triple covered Marshall... 

Gimme a break. This offense is a work in progress -- for BOTH Fitz and Geno... we'll see how the next 6 weeks go. 

Geno probably looked better on the practice field in camp. He has a tendency to look good when it doesn't matter and awful when it does. What the punch did was save us from 2-4 losses before Bowles decided it was time to yank out Geno and stick in Fitz assuming Bowles and the rest of the staff can't get Geno to something more than a bottom of the league passer. I don't see anything about Geno that has changed my mind about his attitude or decision-making since the start of training camp to dissuade me from that assumption. I am open to the idea that he is learning from the coaches and Fitz but given how disengaged he seems during the games it doesn't seem that way. I'd like to be wrong.

That is the premise of the thread; that he can now relax and focus on learning the offense and observing game action and the decision making of a veteran QB.  I don't understand where you are getting this disengaged stuff; he looked plenty engaged to me. Not sure where that is coming from... 

Are you kidding? The only thing i'm sure of, is that Petty is worse than everyone. BEST case scenario, he's a serviceable #2 after years of grooming.

So turnover machine Geno can definitely improve but rookie Bryce Petty can never be an effective NFL starter? 

You guys gotta be kidding me! We had 63 turnovers last night and couldn't put a 2 score gap between us and the Colts, meanwhile "the magic" spent 2 quarters throwing ducks to a triple covered Marshall...

For once we have a QB who is throwing more TD's (4) than picks (2).  And I don't get queasy when he drops back to throw either.  That's not the highest level of QB play we should look for but it sure as hell is progress from what we've had the last 6 years.

Gimme a break. This offense is a work in progress -- for BOTH Fitz and Geno... we'll see how the next 6 weeks go. 

The major factor with Fitz so far is the lack of the momentum or game changing turnover.  As long as he can avoid that he will probably continue to get starts.  So far he has 4 tds and two ints and neither of them effected the outcome of the games.   As you said lets see if he can continue this.  

The major factor with Fitz so far is the lack of the momentum or game changing turnover.  As long as he can avoid that he will probably continue to get starts.  So far he has 4 tds and two ints and neither of them effected the outcome of the games.   As you said lets see if he can continue this.  

Not to mention his 2 picks this year were not nearly as stupid as some of the picks we've seen in the past.  He's not prone to throw that back-breaking pick in the red zone.  His picks tend to come when he's throwing downfield trying to be aggressive.  Not every INT is made equal, especially after having watched so many of Sanchez and Geno's picks go for 6 the other way, directly contributing to losses.

Fantasy footballer / Madden fanboy spotted? 

Perhaps you noticed when the Colts made it a 10-7 game, the Jets marched the ball 80 yards for an emphatic TD.  

You should be crediting the coaching rather than criticizing the offense. We were in control last night. If you doubt we were in control, just remember how many losses we incurred under Rex Ryan where catchup only seemed a possession away ... yet whenever the opposing team needed to score (after Jets put up points or during opponents last possession of the 1st half) they did. When you put all of those games together, those games where we just needed a little more offense to win - you see how similar they were, the teams we lost to were in control the whole time

To quote Herm because I'll always remember him fondly: "you play to win the game".

The QB position is far from the reason why the Jets have won the past 2 games.  However, it's nice not talking about how our QB lost yet another game.

I was in the start Geno camp and if the punch never happened, I'd still be supporting that...but who knows if we'd be 2-0.  For that reason alone, this now Fitz's team and should remain that way till the end of the season.

He's not good, at all.  But we've had much worse.  And if the D continues to play the way they've played, Fitz is good enough to make a playoff run and even possibly win a playoff game. 

Fantasy footballer / Madden fanboy spotted? 

Perhaps you noticed when the Colts made it a 10-7 game, the Jets marched the ball 80 yards for an emphatic TD.  

You should be crediting the coaching rather than criticizing the offense. We were in control last night. If you doubt we were in control, just remember how many losses we incurred under Rex Ryan where catchup only seemed a possession away ... yet whenever the opposing team needed to score (after Jets put up points or during opponents last possession of the 1st half) they did. When you put all of those games together, those games where we just needed a little more offense to win - you see how similar they were, the teams we lost to were generally in control the whole time. 

To quote Herm because I'll always remember him fondly: "you play to win the game".

You're deflecting the topic and my point. I TRUST the coaching staff, and they've earned some leash with the way they've prepared our team thus far. Don't get me wrong, I'm STOKED about the jets this year - which is always why i'm being so picky about this last game from a QB perspective... that was against IND's 4th and 5th string CBs! That sh*t will not fly against a better secondary. 

disagree.  fitz hasn't been perfect but hasn't made the back-breaking decisions that kill momentum, morale and the scoreboard.  that has been critical to the jets 2-0 start.

he could have if not picked up by his teammates- Marshall week 1 and the D week 2.

Archived