Devin Smith

SoFlaJets

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There needs to be a ball that a play can be made on.  

Fitzpatrick simply cannot throw the deep ball.  This isn't something that's going to be ironed out.

You guys are such whiners.  We're 3-1, would be 4-0 if it wasn't for Darren Sproles going nuts on a Special Teams play, and will probably be 4-1 in a couple weeks and you are seriously crying about Devin Smith not lighting up the NFL because "Fitz cand throw da deep ball"

Maybe we should trade for Ryan Mallett - or even better Ryan Leaf?  Those guys can chuck the deep ball all day.  Can't do sh_t else but they can throw far.

one thing I will say for smith is he gets his guy stacked.  it will come for him.  I am only being such a dick to him because I has such high hopes for him and the crushing reality set in that this kid is basically in mini-camp while everybody else is in real game modes, and he has miiiiiiiiiiiiiles to go

who knows, maybe he will fuel the big playoff push :cool:

He needs to learn that he plays in a league with rules that favor the WR. No more trying to contort his body around the DB, rather than making a play on the ball. With experience, he'll hopefully understand that every pass is an opportunity to make a play or draw a flag... even the "underthrown" balls.

Some of you guys act as if every other QB in the league puts every pass on the perfect mark. Every QB under/over throws passes every week. This "underthrown passes" narrative needs to be tempered. Sure, Fitz has a weaker arm than some. This should be accounted for in timing and placement. As Fitz gets more time with a more consistent group of WRs, they can iron this stuff out.

Why?  The balls are under thrown, the only solution to correct this is having Devin running slower which will reduce how far Fitz has to throw, while also  making it easier for the db's to cover route! 

So basically we should abandon the deep routes because Fitz cannot utilize a fast and deep receiver properly due to... Wait for it..... ARM STRENGTH.... 

"More consistent group of receivers" ????? Are you kidding me, or yourself? The only thing that's consistent between our Qb and receivers, is our Qb cannot get the ball to them on anything longer then 10 yards, 15 yards is stretching it, 20 or more.... Forget about it. 

He reached back for the ball, was only able to get one hand on the ball.  Ball was low on the inside, he couldnt get enough on it to knock it away from the DB.  Has nothing to do with finding someone to blame.  Has everything to do with blaming the right guy.  The pick was totally Fitzs fault.  All we need is a better throw would have went for a TD instead of a pick.  To blame Smith, whats the point, instead of a TD it would have been an incomplete pass if he knocked it away?  It would still have been a wasted opportunity, a TD left on the field.  You're right bad throws happen all the time.  And a lot of the time the WR can turn into a DB and keep the INT from happening.  Not all the time though, not there.  Even Bowles said it, Smith tried but it was out of his reach.  What you see in the photo is a photo, photos rarely are telling, theyre a moment in time, doesnt give an accurate description of what took place.   

That you mentioned more than once that this isn;t to defend Fitz, this is disruptive to the "Fitz is the problem with everything" narrative is telling.  I guess you'd chuckle just as hard as I did when I read this if I said youre blaming Smith just to defend your boy Fitz.  Right?  

This thread is titled "Devin Smith". I'm talking about what I'd like to see Devin Smith improve at. I've said profusely that I'm not putting it all on Devin to defend Fitz, but there is a faction of stupidity here that just won't or can't accept the reality of what I'm saying.

I especially love how it was a sure-thing touchdown if the throw was better. Nevermind the points I've been making about the lack of physicality Smith has shown so far. Bang-bang plays like that, we don't even know if the guy holds on to it, or if he can stay in bounds since the DB had him boxed out from the inside of the field. I know it was a bad throw, I said it was a bad throw... but that shouldn't preclude us from talking about what we've seen from Devin, even on the bad throws. Especially since we've only seen him in limited snaps in 2 games. I've been excited about the kid all summer... but here we are, acting like he's a fully developed WR and all the problems are with the QB. 

• He lacks physicality.
  • I question how well he's running routes.
  • Other than running in a straight line really fast, I'm concerned about him as a WR prospect because he seems averse to contact.

These are things I hope to seem him improve on WHILE Fitz improves his passing. 

How is this so ******* hard for you guys? I'll refer back to what I said about the insecurity around this topic on page 11. 

Yeah let's pick the 3 players in the last 20 years that were immediately superstars.  Hey Taiwan is a huge factory for nba talent look at Jeremy Lin!

If you believe the average WR needs 3 years before he makes an impact, you clearly have set low standards for yourself. 

That was the point of my rebuttal.   

Why?  The balls are under thrown, the only solution to correct this is having Devin running slower which will reduce how far Fitz has to throw, while also  making it easier for the db's to cover route! 

So basically we should abandon the deep routes because Fitz cannot utilize a fast and deep receiver properly due to... Wait for it..... ARM STRENGTH.... 

"More consistent group of receivers" ????? Are you kidding me, or yourself? The only thing that's consistent between our Qb and receivers, is our Qb cannot get the ball to them on anything longer then 10 yards, 15 yards is stretching it, 20 or more.... Forget about it. 

the long ball is so 1985.  rodgers and brady are underneath guys.  would you take those offenses ?

Starting WRs:

Week 1: Marshall, Decker, Owusu

Week 2: Marshall, Decker, Owusu

Week 3: Marshall, Kerley, Devin

Week 4: Marshall, Decker, Devin

The only consistency has been Marshall. You're wrong. So, as I said, as Fitz gets to spend more time with the same group more consistently... the chemistry will get better. Are you really going to argue that more reps as a unit is NOT going to improve chemistry?

jpeg

There were more of these, than there were of the "Fitz couldn't throw it far enough" passes you all are making up. This is a ball the Devin could have made a play on, he let the DB move him off his route and the DB basically ran the route for him. 

As Devin gets reps, hopefully, he'll learn where he's supposed to be and how to make a play on the ball before the defender does. This way, at worst he's drawing a flag. In this case, the defender shut shouldered him right out of the play.

Devin has played soft so far.

You know how often a fast WR breaks loose and the QB hits him in stride? Once every few games. It's rare. Most of the football Devin is going to have to play will be like this... where he's going to have to compete for the ball. It's not ******* Madden.

that's a great picture of a poorly placed and under thrown ball, text book! 

What the pic doesn't show is the fact that after Devin located the ball and SLOWED down to be able to make a play on it allowing the db back into it thus "bumping"  him (as you put it) out of the play. The f'ing ball needs to be on his outside shoulder and or in front of him. But I know, Devin, and Brandon are over running their routes distances right? And not the 5 or 6 under thrown deep balls , no all the deep passes actually, there hasn't been one perfectly placed ball on any of Fitz's deep passes to the sidelines at all. 

What the pic doesn't show is the fact that after Devin located the ball and SLOWED down to be able to make a play on it allowing the db back into it thus "bumping"  him (as you put it) out of the play. The f'ing ball needs to be on his outside shoulder and or in front of him. But I know, Devin, and Brandon are over running their routes distances right? And not the 5 or 6 under thrown deep balls , no all the deep passes actually, there hasn't been one perfectly placed ball on any of Fitz's deep passes to the sidelines at all. 

Do you know how to read?

Finally, someone who knows what they're looking at...

Can you believe the post you quoted said something stupid like, "allowed the CB to run the route for him..."  It was a go route...my dog can run that route with him.  hahahahahahaha, but posters know what they're watching...got it. ;)

so all he needs is a perfectly thrown ball ? is he the chad pennington of WR's ? This is the NFL, he will be covered most of the time.  if he doesn't fight for the ball, fitz and geno will just look somewhere else

Can you believe the post you quoted said something stupid like, "allowed the CB to run the route for him..."  It was a go route...my dog can run that route with him.  hahahahahahaha, but posters know what they're watching...got it. ;)

Your dog sounds promising. Maybe you should get your dog to join the site, and you can go lay in the corner and lick your ass.

Your dog sounds promising. Maybe you should get your dog to join the site, and you can go lay in the corner and lick your ass.

I'd have to pull your tongue out of my ass first...and Im in no mood to go back to toilet paper.  Nope, your tongue can stay there.  But thanks for the offer.

Are these all the new people from JI? Is this what the football side of that board had become?

Special.

If this is in reference to my quotes of your posts, sorry bumble, I've been here a long time, longer then you have, and only here no other jet forums. 

I can agree on some of your points, but some of your other points are flat out wrong, news flash Fitz cannot improve his deep throws or his physical arm strength, so that is a fixed variable. Devin smith may improve as a receiver and adjusting to Fitz's capabilities, which will be good, but a complete waste of his most dynamic skill set. 

Fitz cannot take advantage of Devins strengths. 

the long ball is so 1985.  rodgers and brady are underneath guys.  would you take those offenses ?

...ummm, you do know Rodgers finished #2, #2, #5 in YPA the last 3 years and is #1 in the NFL in yards per attempt over that three year span.  No one throws a better deep ball and connects on a higher percentage of deep balls in the NFL than Rodgers.  But if you said Brady, Tannehill, and Akili Smith...that would be a better comparison.  

If this is in reference to my quotes of your posts, sorry bumble, I've been here a long time, longer then you have, and only here no other jet forums. 

I can agree on some of your points, but some of your other points are flat out wrong, news flash Fitz cannot improve his deep throws or his physical arm strength, so that is a fixed variable. Devin smith may improve as a receiver and adjusting to Fitz's capabilities, which will be good, but a complete waste of his most dynamic skill set. 

^^^^ This

"Arm strength" can in fact be improved. Fact. When you consider that he missed a lot of last year with a broken leg, it's actually pretty reasonable to assume that his lower body strength could absolutely stand to be improved. That said, I'm not talking about him magically being able to throw farther... but more accurately, sure, that can happen. A QB that can anticipate the speed and instincts of his receiver better, is going to achieve better accuracy.

Devin Smith better do more than "may improve". He's played 2 games as a pro, no camp, nothing... and you guys act like he's playing flawless football just to hammer home the "no deep ball" whining. 

At the end of the day, it is up to Gailey to take advantage of what Smith and Fitz do well together. There's more uses for speed than 50+ yard bombs, and to infer otherwise is silly. You should know better if you've really been posting here this long.

so all he needs is a perfectly thrown ball ? is he the chad pennington of WR's ? This is the NFL, he will be covered most of the time.  if he doesn't fight for the ball, fitz and geno will just look somewhere else

the receiver doesn't always have to fight for the ball you know, put it on him in stride...TD, that's entirely possible a type of plat that fits a speedy deep threat ain't it, and one I'd like to see in our offense. 

generalizations are generally terrible

"Arm strength" can in fact be improved. Fact. When you consider that he missed a lot of last year with a broken leg, it's actually pretty reasonable to assume that his lower body strength could absolutely stand to be improved. That said, I'm not talking about him magically being able to throw farther... but more accurately, sure, that can happen. A QB that can anticipate the speed and instincts of his receiver better, is going to achieve better accuracy.

Devin Smith better do more than "may improve". He's played 2 games as a pro, no camp, nothing... and you guys act like he's playing flawless football just to hammer home the "no deep ball" whining. 

At the end of the day, it is up to Gailey to take advantage of what Smith and Fitz do well together. There's more uses for speed than 50+ yard bombs, and to infer otherwise is silly. You should know better if you've really been posting here this long.

this is Fitz's 11th year for Christ sakes, he's never been a good deep passer, and I'm more inclined to think that he is on the twilight of his career and the probability of him improving to take advantage of Devins strengths is unlikely to happen, they may get a better chemistry but it'll be at the expense of Devins strengths and not Fitz's physical ability. 

I never inferred that 50 yard bombs is Devins only use, but it is something he does well and would love to see it happen on our team this year! One or two deep bombs connecting a game would make the entire offense work much better and in fact make it dynamic and scary for opposing defenses. 

What do you mean "if I have really been posting here this long"?? You can check my join date easy enough Bumble. 

Fitz broke his leg in Dec last year, he's been out of a cast roughly 5-6 months, I'm sure his leg is back at full strength by now, besides he plants on his right foot and steps in on his left foot when throwing, giving the fact that the step in foot affects mainly accuracy and not strength put into a throw, and he broke his left leg, so the broken leg excuse can be put out to pasture.  I really do hope he can improve for the teams sake, but I'm not putting money on it. 

image.jpeg

Jesus... Which is exactly why I said I'm more concerned with whether or not Devin can learn how to do more than catch bombs.

Deep ball, deep ball, deep ball... For ****s sake, it's not that big a part of the offense. 

If draftin Devin is to be worth the 2nd rounder, he's going to have to do more than fetch bombs. The fact that he can adds something that defenses have to be wary of, but with his speed he has to be able to catch the dirty sh*t in traffic and rack up YAC.

but yeah, keep it just about the deep ball so we can keep the thread about what Fitz can't do, rather than what we want to see from Devin. God forbid we don't keep all convos redundant, unimaginative, and thick headed.

It IS a big part of the offense.  He is a bigger version of Desean Jackson.  That's what he was drafted to do.  

jpeg

There were more of these, than there were of the "Fitz couldn't throw it far enough" passes you all are making up. This is a ball the Devin could have made a play on, he let the DB move him off his route and the DB basically ran the route for him. 

As Devin gets reps, hopefully, he'll learn where he's supposed to be and how to make a play on the ball before the defender does. This way, at worst he's drawing a flag. In this case, the defender shut shouldered him right out of the play.

Devin has played soft so far.

You know how often a fast WR breaks loose and the QB hits him in stride? Once every few games. It's rare. Most of the football Devin is going to have to play will be like this... where he's going to have to compete for the ball. It's not ******* Madden.

Is this a joke?

It IS a big part of the offense.  He is a bigger version of Desean Jackson.  That's what he was drafted to do.  

If they throw 40 passes a game, you gotta figure 2-3 of them would be over 35+ yards.

Huge part of the offense.

this is Fitz's 11th year for Christ sakes, he's never been a good deep passer, and I'm more inclined to think that he is on the twilight of his career and the probability of him improving to take advantage of Devins strengths is unlikely to happen, they may get a better chemistry but it'll be at the expense of Devins strengths and not Fitz's physical ability. 

I never inferred that 50 yard bombs is Devins only use, but it is something he does well and would love to see it happen on our team this year! One or two deep bombs connecting a game would make the entire offense work much better and in fact make it dynamic and scary for opposing defenses. 

What do you mean "if I have really been posting here this long"?? You can check my join date easy enough Bumble. 

None of this matters. You said arm strength cannot be changed - and that is not true. Brady's arm has gotten stronger later in his career. It's fairly common knowledge that when an athlete misses half a year, most of camp, while recovering from a lower body injury - and a lot of "arm strength" is actually driven by lower body mechanics, that said athlete can probably improve "arm strength" by regaining and improving the lower body strength and mechanics.

Yea, you pretty much did infer that deep ball is what Devin is here fore. 1-2 times a game? Do you realize that Big Ben barely connects with Antonio Brown on 40+ yarders 1-2 times a game, and they may be the most prolific, high volume pair in the league right now.... and you expect that from our journeyman QB and a rookie WR? 

I don't need to check your join date. I'm saying, if you've been posting about football that long... you should know better.

Fitz broke his leg in Dec last year, he's been out of a cast roughly 5-6 months, I'm sure his leg is back at full strength by now, besides he plants on his right foot and steps in on his left foot when throwing, giving the fact that the step in foot affects mainly accuracy and not strength put into a throw, and he broke his left leg, so the broken leg excuse can be put out to pasture.  I really do hope he can improve for the teams sake, but I'm not putting money on it. 

image.jpeg

You're wrong.

Just because he could get back on the field doesn't mean he's regain full conditioning and strength in his legs.

Archived