Devin Smith

SoFlaJets

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

even in your backyard games with your buddies if you break free and have 3 steps on the CB but your QB hangs a moonball out there that is not going to hit you in stride guess what? ... You can slow down, make contact with the CB as you box him out away from where the ball is going to be, & then speed up again as the ball is reaching you.  If I can do it with other out of shape $h*theads certainly NFL wide receivers  can do the same... And you've never seen the NFL before if you think that will be the first time it happens.

I have a feeling the guys that are in the back yard arent running stride for stride at 4.4 speed as you slow down for those moon balls...  I love comparing back yard nerf football with what we see on sundays.  Comparable...like your drive to work and a NASCAR race...

Are we really suggesting a rookie, in his first game should be making up for an 11 year vet?  You'd normally like the vet to help the rook a bit.  But ok, this involves Fitz and a deep ball, so we can't expect him to throw Devin open or anything like that.  At bare minimum though, the vet should at least hold his own and not ask the rookie to save him.

Those deep passes were Fitzpatrick's fault, because in both instances Devin Smith has a step on his defender.  And he's on the outside, so the natural throw there is in front of him.  If the ball is under-thrown, then it's usually a back shoulder fade, which is aimed at the outside shoulder of the receiver or right at the receiver.  In both instances, not only were they not thrown at Smith or his outside shoulder, both times the ball is on the inside track right to the CB.  For Smith to make a play, to his inside, he has to go through the defender.  

I have a feeling the guys that are in the back yard arent running stride for stride at 4.4 speed as you slow down for those moon balls...  I love comparing back yard nerf football with what we see on sundays.  Comparable...like your drive to work and a NASCAR race...

I live in ATL now ... NASCAR is not a far off comparison ;)

Kid's doing a good job getting separation and open versus NFL DBs...

Gotta think Fitz can take these next two weeks to correct some of these issue:

https://twitter.com/TurnOnTheJets/status/651440036244783104

https://twitter.com/TurnOnTheJets/status/651441851719884801

Petty and Devin will be lethal for many years to come IMHO

Not surprised timing was off, no other Jet wideout is close to Smith in speed. I'm more excited about the possibilities than upset about last week. Let's see what happens vs. the Fish.

Actually the real speedster on the team is Owusu.  He's consistently posted faster 40 times than Smith and at this point in their respective careers he plays a lot faster.  I like Smith, but Owusu is the one who can take the top off of the defense.  Here's hoping the concussions don't end his career early...

even in your backyard games with your buddies if you break free and have 3 steps on the CB but your QB hangs a moonball out there that is not going to hit you in stride guess what? ... You can slow down, make contact with the CB as you box him out away from where the ball is going to be, & then speed up again as the ball is reaching you.  If I can do it with other out of shape $h*theads certainly NFL wide receivers  can do the same... And you've never seen the NFL before if you think that will be the first time it happens.

You're talking about a guy running full speed in one direction now reversing and actually reaching up for the ball? I guess you can do that if you're  out of shape and running two miles an hour. ;)

I hear u and agree with  u 100%!!!

People may be down on Geno but for HEAVENS SAKE folks shouldn't hate on his young man Devin Smith when he seems like the kind of speed player we have been looking for years to draft. 

Quiet, Comfortable and Confident.... and he wears the Green and White....

We should ALL be lauding D. Smith instead of some of us trying to fabricate false narratives about his playing ability.

I couldn't agree more....It's just amazing the way many on this board are already calling for this kid to be benched, calling him "soft" and comparing him to Hill.

He's gotten open, hasn't dropped anything he shouldn't, showed very good speed and has been open and missed on multiple occasions.  

Does he have to get better on how to position himself down the sideline on the deep ball? Sure...but he's played 2 NFL games after missing much of camp...

I'm was high on Smith when we drafted him and even more bullish after I've seen him play...

What do you like?   He hasnt done anything.

Let me guess...you played little league where the 8th place team got a trophy.:P

Are you watching games or looking at stats?

What I see is a receiver that's often wide open in the middle of the field and has had a step on his man on multiple occasions down the sideline and has shown good hands when given the opportunity.  It's not his fault that the QB isn't making the throws.

Are you making the claim that you can't look at a rookie, in his second game, and make a statement that you like what you're seeing, even though statistical production isn't there?

Are you watching games or looking at stats?

What I see is a receiver that's often wide open in the middle of the field and has had a step on his man on multiple occasions down the sideline and has shown good hands when given the opportunity.  It's not his fault that the QB isn't making the throws.

Are you making the claim that you can't look at a rookie, in his second game, and make a statement that you like what you're seeing, even though statistical production isn't there?

No...  I havent seen enough to judge. Im just stirring the pot.  I simply would like to see him get the ball as much as Decker and Marshall to really give the Defense a true nightmare.

That would open up the run game as well.

The comparisons to Steven Hill reveal more about SOJFs than anything else.  He is finding his way after a late start.  WR is one of the toughest transitions from college to the pros -- even when you don't miss the whole training camp.  He is going to be a good player for the Jets.

It took Martavis Bryant 6 weeks before he was even made active for the Steelers last year. Most WR's need some time to develop. Impossible to evaluate him at this point. I expect improvement from him after the bye. 

it takes about 2-3 years for a WR to learn unless it's Amari Cooper

The comparisons to Steven Hill reveal more about SOJFs than anything else.  He is finding his way after a late start.  WR is one of the toughest transitions from college to the pros -- even when you don't miss the whole training camp.  He is going to be a good player for the Jets.

smith reminds me of kenny stills, i hope thats his floor

why is anyone hating on devin smith?  so far, with NO preseason games, and only 2 regular season games, we've seen that:

1) he can get open deep

2) he can get open when he's not deep

3) he can catch the ball when it's thrown to him

It's not devin smith's fault that:

1) fitz missed him wide open in the end zone vs the eagles

2) fitz underthrew at least 2 deep balls down the sideline to him vs the eagles

3) that one of the underthrown balls was thrown directly where the db had an easy pick

why is anyone hating on devin smith?  so far, with NO preseason games, and only 2 regular season games, we've seen that:

1) he can get open deep

2) he can get open when he's not deep

3) he can catch the ball when it's thrown to him

It's not devin smith's fault that:

1) fitz missed him wide open in the end zone vs the eagles

2) fitz underthrew at least 2 deep balls down the sideline to him vs the eagles

3) that one of the underthrown balls was thrown directly where the db had an easy pick

We've also seen that he can be bumped off his route. 

He is easily out-muscled with the ball in the air by smaller DBs.

He has ended up in areas of the field where both he and the QB don't seem to understand why he's where he is. Just because he's running free, it doesn't necessarily mean he's where he was supposed to be. 

All things that can be worked on, but if we're being honest let's be honest. He's raw. We should expect raw. It's okay to blame a rookie for messing up here and there, rather than weaving it all back into the QB narrative.

Dude... he was rookie of the year, was in the pro bowl  and holds NFL records.  PLEASE....  facts are stubborn things.

LMAO at saying "facts are stubborn things" when you didn't even know that Victor Cruz put up zero catches 2010 (3 games, zero catches then got hurt). Cruz broke out the second year after his SECOND training camp/pre-season etc...

Not to mention, a guy like Antonio brown only have 16 catches in 9 games in his rookie year and Demayrius Thomas had 22 catches his rookie year and 32 his second  year.  

He has ended up in areas of the field where both he and the QB don't seem to understand why he's where he is. Just because he's running free, it doesn't necessarily mean he's where he was supposed to be. 

All things that can be worked on, but if we're being honest let's be honest. He's raw. We should expect raw. It's okay to blame a rookie for messing up here and there, rather than weaving it all back into the QB narrative.

Easily outmuscled with the ball in the air?  I haven't seen one 50-50 ball thrown to him.  Just a bunch of sh*tty, under thrown balls thrown right to the DB.

Beckham was hurt and it took him a while

Is "a while" a couple weeks nowadays?  

The idea it takes WRs "a while" is no longer true.  Maybe if you're talking Parcells, Gibbs, Ditka days...sure...

But Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Amari Cooper, Allen Hurns, and Jordan Matthews came out of the gate smoking for their teams as rookies.

Even if you look in the "old days,"  Marvin Harrison, Terry Glenn, Keyshawn, Gary Clarke, Randy Moss, Bob Hayes, Anquan Boldin, and Sammy White all had very solid rookie years if not elite in some cases (Randy Moss as an example).

I think people like to throw a wet blanket over an entire position often because breakout years as rookies may be the 20% to 80% who take time, but in today's NFL, I bet you see more and more 2014 draft class type WRs than 2000 draft class WRs...

Is "a while" a couple weeks nowadays?  

The idea it takes WRs "a while" is no longer true.  Maybe if you're talking Parcells, Gibbs, Ditka days...sure...

But Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Amari Cooper, Allen Hurns, and Jordan Matthews came out of the gate smoking for their teams as rookies.

Even if you look in the "old days,"  Marvin Harrison, Terry Glenn, Keyshawn, Gary Clarke, Randy Moss, Bob Hayes, Anquan Boldin, and Sammy White all had very solid rookie years if not elite in some cases (Randy Moss as an example).

I think people like to throw a wet blanket over an entire position often because breakout years as rookies may be the 20% to 80% who take time, but in today's NFL, I bet you see more and more 2014 draft class type WRs than 2000 draft class WRs...

i dont think we can go by classes when we talk about individual wide outs. Some catch on fast, some catch on slow and some don't catch on at all. A lot of the time you guys useuse the positions history to formulate how a player will grow.. But people are different and so history isn't always as accurate. Devin has the instinct as we can see by his ability to track a ball.. He just needs to work on route running. That's really it. Hill could work on routes all night and day but the fact is he couldn't catch and obviously wasn't taught never to catch with your body. Its ashame but that is on his previous coaches and his own inability to learn after college. Smith doesn't have this problem. Let's look at it a little deeper than  history to make an assumption like that.

We actually havent seen just about anything in this post that claims we have seen...holy bias.  Are you related to Fitzpatrick somehow?  Maybe just collect his beard clippings?  

Archived