Devin Smith

SoFlaJets

One major aspect your overlooking, the coaching staff. Last years staff with Rex basically just didn't want the O to turn the ball over so Rex's vaunted D could win the game. Even though its only two games the mindset under Bowles appears to be much different. We don't know what Geno could do with a approach where we actually have a vested interest on O.  I contend any QB including Fitzy would have looked subpar in the 2013 and 2014 incarnations of the Jets offense. I know the popular thought process here was that the O faltered because Geno was stupid and a sh*tty QB - I still believe the O faltered because Rex was a sh*tty HC (how about that wildcat and all that). 

Finally, a reply that I think has merit.  Rex did not give a crap about the O as long as they did not turn the ball over. I agree, the thing with Geno is he could not even do that. In a sense that is a pretty low bar to set for an NFL QB.

Geno is not a quick release QB and he tends to hold the ball, he will create his own trouble.  the O-line is pretty much the same as last year.  The RB's are about the same. The only difference is a new #1 WR. It's not like they have a whole new set of Offensive players, most of the guys are the same.

I do agree there is a slightly better situation for a QB this year but that does not mean Geno is going to be able to do that. I have seen nothing from him to think he will be better. Same boneheaded guy he was last year. But now we also know he has a glass jaw.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was drafted high in the 2nd round.  Usually that would mean allowing a guy to start at some point with an NFL offense.  That has yet to happen.

I didn't want to draft Geno and thought there was no way in hell he should've started at all his first year.  Starting Petty now would be better than starting Geno two years ago.  At least now Petty would have an offense to work with.

Really can't wait for it to happen so I can stop defending a guy I didn't want to draft in the first place.  I'm not saying he will be great.  All I have to go on is camp reports from early this year and seeing him play well last season when Decker was healthy.  Sink or swim, we gotta give him a chance at some point.

I don't care where he was drafted, From watching his play he was drafted too high. The team basically asked him not to turn the ball over and he could not even do that.

There is one significant change to this offense, the O-line is pretty much the same, so is the RB core. So far the only guy who is a big upgrade is Marshall.

I don't see why your defending him at all. I would love to eat crow on this and for him to actually play like the QB we need but I have not seen any indication that he has turned the corner.

I don't care where he was drafted, From watching his play he was drafted too high. The team basically asked him not to turn the ball over and he could not even do that.

There is one significant change to this offense, the O-line is pretty much the same, so is the RB core. So far the only guy who is a big upgrade is Marshall.

I don't see why your defending him at all. I would love to eat crow on this and for him to actually play like the QB we need but I have not seen any indication that he has turned the corner.

Marshall is a huge improvement by himself.  It makes the best WR from last season the second best option.  Decker.  Except that's also the second change.  Decker is healthy (hopefully).  When he was healthy last season, Geno played well.  The third change is at the WR3 spot.  Has Kerely even played yet?  Seems like he's the 6th option behind Owusu, Enunwa and Devin.

Those changes alone are enough to make a big difference.  Now add in Bowels vs Rex as you mentioned above, and that's another improvement for the O.

Finally, quite possibly the biggest change... Gailey (though adding Marshall could be just as important).  He tailors the offense to the QB and doesn't over-complicate things.

Plus I do think the Oline has gotten slightly better as well.

That's a lot of change, and supposedly before the broken jaw, Geno was taking advantage of it.

Are you sh*tting me?  I've never seen a 47" vertical leap...

I've seen it listed as high as 51", but I'm skeptical.  Dr. Dunkenstein is the same height as Randy and had a confirmed 48" vertical in the early 80's.  The dunk Randy did in high school (at 2:10 below) is a nice display of his leaping ability, and I'm sure he added a couple of inches between then and his pre-draft workout.  47" sounds about right to me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO8WGZWlEE4

. The team basically asked him not to turn the ball over and he could not even do that.

Deceptive, that.

In all honestly, Rex never understood that trying to not make turnovers actually leads to more turnovers. It is why it is impossible to really judge a QB under his term. If you listen to Chan, he also wants to not turn the ball over but he does it by asking his QB to be aggressive in favorable matchups, an offense that provides "clean" reads and a much more balanced run/pass mix to avoid passing in bad situations all the time. It's a subtle difference but a huge one. Play not to lose and you lose. Steer a golf shot with a tentative swing it goes awry. Stop your punch to not hurt your hand in a karate demonstration and you wind up breaking it on the board. Try not to throw interceptions as an offensive philosophy and you throw more. It is the fundamental oxymoron of almost all sports.

GeNONONO couldn't have succeeded with Kurt Warner's Greatest Show on Turf offense.

Really, time to stop blaming weapons, teammates, coaches, sunspots, climate change and god knows what else for Idzik's biggest mistake

Let's just face facts

Punchy is a BUST. Pure and simple. PERIOD.

Thank you Maccagnan for Fitzpatrick for now and Bryce for the future and thank you IK for getting GeNONONO off the field as a Jet, hopefully, forever

I've seen it listed as high as 51", but I'm skeptical.  Dr. Dunkenstein is the same height as Randy and had a confirmed 48" vertical in the early 80's.  The dunk Randy did in high school (at 2:10 below) is a nice display of his leaping ability, and I'm sure he added a couple of inches between then and his pre-draft workout.  47" sounds about right to me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO8WGZWlEE4

I think David Thompson had a vertical leap in the high 40's also back in the 70's. Remember him?

Deceptive, that.

In all honestly, Rex never understood that trying to not make turnovers actually leads to more turnovers. It is why it is impossible to really judge a QB under his term. If you listen to Chan, he also wants to not turn the ball over but he does it by asking his QB to be aggressive in favorable matchups, an offense that provides "clean" reads and a much more balanced run/pass mix to avoid passing in bad situations all the time. It's a subtle difference but a huge one. Play not to lose and you lose. Steer a golf shot with a tentative swing it goes awry. Stop your punch to not hurt your hand in a karate demonstration and you wind up breaking it on the board. Try not to throw interceptions as an offensive philosophy and you throw more. It is the fundamental oxymoron of almost all sports.

I think it is safe to assume that Geno was taught to take advantage of mismatches over the last two years.   It's more like he held the ball too long to take advantage of them.

Marshall is a huge improvement by himself.  It makes the best WR from last season the second best option.  Decker.  Except that's also the second change.  Decker is healthy (hopefully).  When he was healthy last season, Geno played well.  The third change is at the WR3 spot.  Has Kerely even played yet?  Seems like he's the 6th option behind Owusu, Enunwa and Devin.

Those changes alone are enough to make a big difference.  Now add in Bowels vs Rex as you mentioned above, and that's another improvement for the O.

Finally, quite possibly the biggest change... Gailey (though adding Marshall could be just as important).  He tailors the offense to the QB and doesn't over-complicate things.

Plus I do think the Oline has gotten slightly better as well.

That's a lot of change, and supposedly before the broken jaw, Geno was taking advantage of it.

I get Marshall but not the rest Owusu was here last year but injured for most of it. Devin Smith has not even played yet. as for the O-line I think the fact that Fitz gets rid of the ball quicker has helped them look better.

I get Marshall but not the rest Owusu was here last year but injured for most of it. Devin Smith has not even played yet. as for the O-line I think the fact that Fitz gets rid of the ball quicker has helped them look better.

He gets rid of it quicker because there are open WRs.

So 5 pages into a Devin Smith thread and no one's going to mention that Smith is starting today?

(unless it was mentioned and I'm just blind)

Think it was assumed.  I was hoping for some fantasy a dice to show up.  Start Devin over a questionable Davante Adams Monday night?

Think it was assumed.  I was hoping for some fantasy a dice to show up.  Start Devin over a questionable Davante Adams Monday night?

Really? I didn't read that anything was assumed other than him finally getting listed as active, not necessarily that he was starting. After all the time he missed? It's a little surprising, and it would have surprised me less to see him sub in & out more than start the game outright. Presumably it means he was putting on a good show in practice.

not really. Marshall got his hands on it which more times than not equals a catch. It was tight coverage, but having BM gives you the luxury of taking some risk. I think he missed some opportunities early that would have separated us by score and could have kept our defense off the field longer.

as I continue to watch sh*tty deep ball after sh*tty deep ball today...Fitz is officially a sh*tty deep ball thrower...as I f'n said.

really disappointed in smith.  yes he missed mini-camp, training camp, and only had 2 weeks of practice, but damn son when the ball is under-thrown you have to become the DB and knock it down

its just really sad tho to have a one trick pony WR whose one trick is the one thing the QB can't do.  he isn't even worth it as a decoy.  he needs about 4 weeks before he can contribute

really disappointed in smith.  yes he missed mini-camp, training camp, and only had 2 weeks of practice, but damn son when the ball is under-thrown you have to become the DB and knock it down

its just really sad tho to have a one trick pony WR whose one trick is the one thing the QB can't do.  he isn't even worth it as a decoy.  he needs about 4 weeks before he can contribute

he was open a bunch of times and made some catches

did we expect julio jones numbers in his first nfl game?

he was open a bunch of times and made some catches

did we expect julio jones numbers in his first nfl game?

more like randy moss, maybe 7 catches for 200 yards

what bothered me was the lack of fight when the DB was in his grill, he seemed to more or less give up.  I think this was a rude awakening for the kid that he isn't going up against northwestern kids anymore and beating them by 5 yards and just cruising into the endzone

more like randy moss, maybe 7 catches for 200 yards

what bothered me was the lack of fight when the DB was in his grill, he seemed to more or less give up.  I think this was a rude awakening for the kid that he isn't going up against northwestern kids anymore and beating them by 5 yards and just cruising into the endzone

he probably would of if the ball is thrown in front of him .. 

He looked very soft to me, not fighting for passes at all.  Not impressed by day 1.

I though the same thing -- he didn't fight for the ball, or just isn't strong enough to get possession, and didn't know when it was time to play defense.  He is probably used to being wide open from his college days.  I will give him a pass today, just because.

I'd be interested in how many times he was targeted in the 1st half vs the 2nd half.  I looked and couldn't find the breakdown.  He certainly poses much more of a threat than Kerley, which I think should take a little pressure off Marshall's coverage.  I'd like to see him get serious burn and looks  early in the next game if Decker is a scratch.  

I though the same thing -- he didn't fight for the ball, or just isn't strong enough to get possession, and didn't know when it was time to play defense.  He is probably used to being wide open from his college days.  I will give him a pass today, just because.

I'd be interested in how many times he was targeted in the 1st half vs the 2nd half.  I looked and couldn't find the breakdown.  He certainly poses much more of a threat than Kerley, which I think should take a little pressure off Marshall's coverage.  I'd like to see him get serious burn and looks  early in the next game if Decker is a scratch.  

You know who he reminded me of today.....Dedric Ward.

Fast (on paper), not fast as all that on the field (never blew past anyone really), and soft on the end fighting for the ball.

But it was hist first game, not going to judge him long term on that.  We'll see how he develops throughout this year.

Exactly...He had a half step on a couple of those deep balls - if they were out in front of him, rather than behind him - things might have been different.

gotta disagree.  the db was in his back pocket and out fought him for the ball.  so far he is soft

That's tough - to call a guy soft in his first NFL game, coming off broken ribs...

He looked fast, fought for the ball - just didn't position his body properly.  

That's tough - to call a guy soft in his first NFL game, coming off broken ribs...

yeah, I'm having issues using the quote system lolololol

the main problem is I am just super frustrated.  I'm a jets fan because of walker, and I was so excited they picked this kid and then he was gone all summer and then today he just comes out and looked like a deer in the headlights, and he's wearing #19 ?

I think he needs another month before he can contribute.  

ugh

He looked pretty good.  Used his hands to catch, showed good ball skills, and showed good feet.  Fitzpatrick needs to throw the ball in front of him and let him go get it.  

The reality is that he's too fast for Fitzpatrick's arm.  That interception in the end zone was atrocious.  The ball was thrown right to the DB.  Nothing Smith could have done about that.

I would not say he looked soft, I think he needs to learn some technique to get himself in better position, but the throws by Fitz were bad, short and inside and did not have much chance to fight it other than outright fouling and that is not a thing a rookie is going to do. Not a "wow" first day but solid in my view, he ran a few nice underneath routes too.

Archived