Could This Guy Be NFL Rookie Of The Year If We Draft Him At Pick #20?

Nostradamus

I say yes he certainly could.  I was thinking defense or maybe even a stud OL pick up at #20 but this article does make an interesting case however.   Elliot is an incredibly talented athlete and would be a clear upgrade over Ivory.  Also at 20 years old he could be a star for years to come.     If he actually falls to us in the draft would you take him?  

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/1/13/10763762/why-the-jets-should-take-ezekiel-elliot

The bad news is that the Jets will have only Zac Stacy under contract going into the 2016 season with Chris Ivory, Bilall Powell and Steven Ridley all on contract years. The good news is there is an outside chance the top running back in the 2016 draft may fall to them at pick #20 and everybody knows who he is. Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon were the talk of last year's draft class of running backs. There is a 240 lbs. Heisman Trophy winning RB (Derrik Henry) in this year's class but he is not the best running back in the draft. The reason for that is simply because there is somebody who is even better entering the 2016 draft at RB.  His name is Ezekiel Elliot.  

Ezekiel Elliot

Could be NFL Rookie Of The Year if drafted by the Jets

Elliot, who won't turn legal drinking age (21) until Camp starts in August may be the most physically impressive specimen in the entire draft. The 6'0" 225 lbs Ohio State Buckeye sports a shredded midsection (which he shows off by having his jersey pulled up during games) was the fastest Buckeye on his team and runs a 4.4 in the 40. Elliot has had over 40 TD's and 21 games of 100 yards or more the past 2 seasons. Last year he helped lead his team to a National Championship capping off the season by rushing for over 500 yards combined in the National Semi Final and Final victories.

While the Jets have other needs to address at aging positions such as ILB, OL no other position is in as much need as RB. The Jets may have a player who could prove to be the best player in the 2016 draft fall on their lap all the way down at pick #20 in a pass happy league. Elliot if he falls this far would be an absolute gift for the Jets who will be a contender next year with a strong running game. He projects extremely well on the next level and would be a week 1 starter for a team in much need at this position. This would also make a lot of sense from a salary cap perspective. No need to resign a veteran when you could draft a rookie at that same position who would be an upgrade starting week 1.

The bad news is that the Jets will have only Zac Stacy under contract going into the 2016 season with Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell and Steven Ridley all on contract years. The good news is there is an outside chance the top running back in the 2016 draft may fall to them at pick #20 and everybody knows who he is. Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon were the talk of last year's draft class of running backs. There is a 240 lbs. Heisman Trophy winning RB (Derrick Henry) in this year's class but he is not the best running back in the draft. The reason for that is simply because there is somebody who is even better entering the 2016 draft at RB, and its not even close. His name is Ezekiel Elliot.

Could be NFL Rookie Of The Year if drafted by the Jets

Elliot, who won't turn legal drinking age (21) until Camp starts in August may be the most physically impressive specimen in the entire draft. The 6'0" 225 lbs Ohio State Buckeye sports a shredded midsection (which he shows off by having his jersey pulled up during games) was the fastest Buckeye on his team and runs a 4.4 in the 40. Elliot has had over 40 TD's and 21 games of 100 yards or more the past 2 seasons. Last year he helped lead his team to a National Championship capping off the season by rushing for over 500 yards combined in the National Semi Final and Final victories.

While the Jets have other needs to address aging positions such as ILB, OL no other position is in as much need as RB. The Jets may have a player who could prove to be the best player in the 2016 draft fall on their lap all the way down at pick #20 in a pass happy league. Elliot is he falls this far would be an absolute gift for the Jets who will be a contender next year with a strong running game. He projects extremely well on the next level and would be a week 1 starter for a team in much need at this position. This would also make a lot of sense from a salary cap perspective. No need to resign a veteran when you could draft a rookie at that same position who would be an upgrade starting week 1.

Hopefully Jets sign Snacks, and a pass Rushing OLB, somehow Myles Jack falls to 20 because of his knee injury, and Scooby Wright falls to the 2nd round for the Jets to scoop up, getting 2 prolific speed impact LB'ERS, 1 who is considered the best coverage LB to come out since Kuechly, and also played RB.  The other is an instinctively driven rocket, sniffing out QB'S, and running down outside runs for losses all game long.  This would then make either Mo, or Sheldon expendable when their contracts are up, and the salary cap isn't high enough to keep them, but if the Jets don't find, and have to pay a Franchise QB I don't see why it can't work keeping all 3 Snacks, Wilkerson, and last (if he proves he can stay clean off the field) Richardson, the only one you have to address now is Snacks, you can franchise Mo, and try, and work that out before camp, and still have Sheldon under control for up to 3 more years if they want to franchise him year 6 so no need to address his situation any time soon, won't be happy about it, but if he plays like a boss he will eventually get his, whether it's here, or elsewhere, and TBH you can structure Mo's contract where maybe you can get out of it after 2018 season when you decide to give Sheldon the big bucks, Mo would be possibly going the wrong way age wise, and could be losing some talent.  Straight cut throat planning if you ask me, pay Mo for 3 years more than cut, and give that money to Sheldon, then rinse repeat with Williams later on who is only 21 so he could be your long long long term 10 year keeper guy instead of 7 to 8 like Mo.

If Elliot is still left on the board at #20 he might be hard to pass up if Jets don't resign Ivory

The real hard part is to be starring at the big board night before draft, and hoping this guy falls to you because you didn't address the RB position, that's Russian Roulette type sh*t that I don't see Mac doing, so it's gonna be hard to draft Elliott unless all needs are completely addressed in off season.  I personally think the Jets will sure up RB position, and look to draft a fast LB in 1st because that will be the hardest position to address via FA for speed purposes. 

The real hard part is to be starring at the big board night before draft, and hoping this guy falls to you because you didn't address the RB position, that's Russian Roulette type sh*t that I don't see Mac doing, so it's gonna be hard to draft Elliott unless all needs are completely addressed in off season.  I personally think the Jets will sure up RB position, and look to draft a fast LB in 1st because that will be the hardest position to address via FA for speed purposes. 

Not necessarily....while you may certainly be correct about signing more RBs to sure up position before the draft, if its still a position of need then good rookie RBs can still be gotten later in draft or in free agency...BUT Elliot is an ELITE talent so if he is there on the board at 20 you'd have to look at him.  

Love this kid, but if we don't land pass rushers in FA or draft I'm gonna be livid .. I've been banging the table for an edge presence for 2 years and now we really need to upgrade this D in order to deal w next years schedule, IMO.

Please, in the name of all that is holy, rush the ficking passer!!!!

Love this kid, but if we don't land pass rushers in FA or draft I'm gonna be livid .. I've been banging the table for an edge presence for 2 years and now we really need to upgrade this D in order to deal w next years schedule, IMO.

Please, in the name of all that is holy, rush the ficking passer!!!!

Agreed....they will def draft a pass rusher within first 4 picks or id be very surprised.  This position is not as weak as many think however.   Mauldin and Catapano can both rush the passer and are both under contract through 2016 season.  Catapano had minor foot surgery but prognosis is he will be back by start of camp.   We only saw that combo for 2 games because of Catapano's injury but it looked pretty good.  With Cat healthy and with Mauldin having a year NFL experience under his belt I'd like to see what they can do.  Add in a talented rookie to replace Pace somewhere in top 4 picks and see how it plays out.  Id say ILB, OL and RB are actually bigger needs at moment.  I guess it all depends who is on the board for these positions when its time to pick.

If the offseason plan is Forte, Hillman.  Or stick with Ivory Powell than yes you would have to look at Elliot at 20 agreed.  But if the Jets go out, and give L Miller, or a D Martin (hope they stay clear of Martin) big money, and say add another guy to help on short yardage, and give a blow it would be tough to take Elliot. 

If the offseason plan is Forte, Hillman.  Or stick with Ivory Powell than yes you would have to look at Elliot at 20 agreed.  But if the Jets go out, and give L Miller, or a D Martin (hope they stay clear of Martin) big money, and say add another guy to help on short yardage, and give a blow it would be tough to take Elliot. 

yes agreed.  I could live with either Martin or Miller (both former first round picks) but isn't it cheaper on cap to grab a good RB in draft even if it's at pick #20?

No thanks. You can find a comparable talent based on the round in like 3 or 4. Sign Powell and someone like Bobby Rainey and then draft someone in round 2-4 that you think could be a good rotational 3rd down back at first and then a every down player eventually. 

bobby rainey? I think we can do better than that

No thanks. You can find a comparable talent based on the round in like 3 or 4. Sign Powell and someone like Bobby Rainey and then draft someone in round 2-4 that you think could be a good rotational 3rd down back at first and then a every down player eventually. 

Neither Powell or Rainey are franchise players.  Good role players maybe.  But to say for certain to draft a RB later with Elliot sitting there at #20 is something i can't agree with.  Elliot ran behind a great O Line but his talent is undeniable.  He could be a 1500 yard RB......imagine we had that to go along with Marshall and Decker?  Look out!  

Neither Powell or Rainey are franchise players.  Good role players maybe.  But to say for certain to draft a RB later with Elliot sitting there at #20 is something i can't agree with.  Elliot ran behind a great O Line but his talent is undeniable.  He could be a 1500 yard RB......imagine we had that to go along with Marshall and Decker?  Look out!  

Let me know the franchise player running backs still in the playoffs. I'll hang up and wait. 

I would take Elliot in a heartbeat and not look back.  I laugh at all those talking about drafting a running back later.  Elliot is a stud and just what this offense needs to be truly explosive. He and Powell would be a great 1-2 punch.

yes agreed.  I could live with either Martin or Miller (both former first round picks) but isn't it cheaper on cap to grab a good RB in draft even if it's at pick #20?

Yes, but the problem is the draft is in May, FA period starts in like 6 weeks, or whatever.  If you strikeout in draft, and didn't address in FA period your screwed that's all I'm saying.

I would take Elliot in a heartbeat and not look back.  I laugh at all those talking about drafting a running back later.  Elliot is a stud and just what this offense needs to be truly explosive. He and Powell would be a great 1-2 punch.

What if Elliot not there?  Who is 1 of the 1-2 punch now?

Let me know the franchise player running backs still in the playoffs. I'll hang up and wait. 

Whats your point?   Marshawn Lynch (and if they gave him the ball on the last play Seattle would be 2x Superbowl Champs), Eddie Lacy, Le'veon Bell (if he wasn't injured), Jamaal Charles (same deal), David Johnson has the potential to be a franchise player for Arizona, CJ Anderson could be as well......but whats your point?   That you don't need good RBs in the NFL?   Because if thats your point its untrue. 

Whats your point?   Marshawn Lynch (and if they gave him the ball on the last play Seattle would be 2x Superbowl Champs), Eddie Lacy, Le'veon Bell (if he wasn't injured), Jamaal Charles (same deal), David Johnson has the potential to be a franchise player for Arizona, CJ Anderson could be as well......but whats your point?   That you don't need good RBs in the NFL?   Because if thats your point its untrue. 

Point is you don't need a franchise running back to make and win in the playoffs. And you certainly don't need a first round pick. There are guys performing well at the position that weren't even drafted or were drafted in later rounds. You obviously need solid backs to succeed in the NFL. You don't need to take them in the first round. I would rather the Jets take the 2nd or 3rd best OT or OLB than 2nd to 3rd best RB. Running back in today's NFL is not a position to throw money or high round picks anymore. The game has changed. 

Archived