Could This Guy Be NFL Rookie Of The Year If We Draft Him At Pick #20?

Nostradamus

Point is you don't need a franchise running back to make and win in the playoffs. And you certainly don't need a first round pick. There are guys performing well at the position that weren't even drafted or were drafted in later rounds. You obviously need solid backs to succeed in the NFL. You don't need to take them in the first round. I would rather the Jets take the 2nd or 3rd best OT or OLB than 2nd to 3rd best RB. Running back in today's NFL is not a position to throw money or high round picks anymore. The game has changed. 

fair enough

Amazing more people don't understand this simple concept.

This is 100% accurate.

Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, Doug Martin, Lamar Miller, Mark Ingram, Todd Gurley.....all first round picks.  Many OT and pass rushers who don't succeed who were 1st round picks.  I think it really depends who is on the board.  You are correct in that you can get a premier 5th year RB for 5 million a year....but good luck getting a top veteran pass rusher for 5 million...its much harder.  So pass rushers and left tackles are best found in draft.  But gotta go by talent available on board.  If Elliot is there at 20 well....take him. We might all be surprised and they go with one of the top D Linemen in the draft to save 15 million a year on Wilkerson.  Thats a lot of dough

I honestly don't know if I'd rather have Gurley than Leonard Williams right now.  I know he got quieter after a blazing return to the field but those Peterson or Gurley class backs are still worth high picks to me. 

But they're rare.  Melvin Gordon sucked this year and I didn't see that coming. Zero TD's and was easily outplayed by our boy Woodhead.

My druthers is to go O-Line but I'm not categorically against a first round RB but you have to think he's special.  But I don't see Mac going RB in the first. His roots are in scouting and I think he thinks he's good enough to get value at RB later on.

I say yes he certainly could.  I was thinking defense or maybe even a stud OL pick up at #20 but this article does make an interesting case however.   Elliot is an incredibly talented athlete and would be a clear upgrade over Ivory.  Also at 20 years old he could be a star for years to come.     If he actually falls to us in the draft would you take him?  

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/1/13/10763762/why-the-jets-should-take-ezekiel-elliot

The bad news is that the Jets will have only Zac Stacy under contract going into the 2016 season with Chris Ivory, Bilall Powell and Steven Ridley all on contract years. The good news is there is an outside chance the top running back in the 2016 draft may fall to them at pick #20 and everybody knows who he is. Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon were the talk of last year's draft class of running backs. There is a 240 lbs. Heisman Trophy winning RB (Derrik Henry) in this year's class but he is not the best running back in the draft. The reason for that is simply because there is somebody who is even better entering the 2016 draft at RB.  His name is Ezekiel Elliot.  

Ezekiel Elliot

Could be NFL Rookie Of The Year if drafted by the Jets

Elliot, who won't turn legal drinking age (21) until Camp starts in August may be the most physically impressive specimen in the entire draft. The 6'0" 225 lbs Ohio State Buckeye sports a shredded midsection (which he shows off by having his jersey pulled up during games) was the fastest Buckeye on his team and runs a 4.4 in the 40. Elliot has had over 40 TD's and 21 games of 100 yards or more the past 2 seasons. Last year he helped lead his team to a National Championship capping off the season by rushing for over 500 yards combined in the National Semi Final and Final victories.

While the Jets have other needs to address at aging positions such as ILB, OL no other position is in as much need as RB. The Jets may have a player who could prove to be the best player in the 2016 draft fall on their lap all the way down at pick #20 in a pass happy league. Elliot if he falls this far would be an absolute gift for the Jets who will be a contender next year with a strong running game. He projects extremely well on the next level and would be a week 1 starter for a team in much need at this position. This would also make a lot of sense from a salary cap perspective. No need to resign a veteran when you could draft a rookie at that same position who would be an upgrade starting week 1.

I think Elliot could be good, but I dont see anyway in the world this guy gets to #20 in the draft if he's as good as advertised. The Giants have virtually no running game so if teams that really need a RB think he's legit he'll be off the board long before we pick. 

If he's considered a "sure thing" then the Giants would be stupid to pass on this guy. They need alot of help, especially with their LB core, but imagine with Eli could do if he had a back that could convert 3rd and 3? The Giants were a top 5 type offense with no RB at all. They would probably draft him then address the LB's with later picks. Having such a quality RB to convert 3rd downs will not only keep their terrible defense off the field, but also provide them with more point cushion as well. 

Certain teams need offense to be their defense and the Giants will need multiple years to really fix that defense, but they could surely provide that defense with a larger point spread to work with if they find a solid RB. I cant see Elliot on the board by the time we pick, or I would atleast be surprised if he was. 

The good thing about picking #20 you generally are not reaching for a player. As an example Gholston was a combine monster who rocketed up on team boards. Solid pick should be available that delights true fans looking to upgrade not just make a splash.

What if Elliot not there?  Who is 1 of the 1-2 punch now?

It's a huge question mark after Elliot. Do you take a chance on Henry considering the amount of carries and the beating he took in college or the fact he played for Alabama and had holes the size of my first wife's ass to run through. On top of most college powerbacks sucking in the NFL. 

Me personally I hope we take Procise from ND in the later rounds. He was a WR then most to RB. He'd be a good 3rd back. 

This is 100% accurate.

I'd argue that you don't need a top RB if you already have a top QB.

But you won't go far if you have neither.

And if you have both ... you'll go even further (Seattle would be the best example of the moment).

If there's one thing that was proven last year - Macc will NOT shy away from talent just because we're already good at a position. So if Elliot is there, and they think enough of him, they'll take him, regardless of what we do in FA with Ivory / Powell / etc.

This is 100% accurate.

I agree.  

But I also think you will post exactly the opposite opinion if and when Belichick selects a 1st round RB.  So goes the Master Cheater, so goes the Master Troll.

I don't get all this "generational talent" mumbo jumbo.  It's like "franchise QB".  RBs are devalued in today's NFL.  We all get that.  RBBC and all that jazz, so I understand not wanting to take a RB at the top of the first unless they are the next Gurley, but at 20?  WTF?  You only want your RB for one contract anyway, so taking somebody in the late first and being able to hang on to them for 5 years seems about perfect to me. 

I'm hoping Mac just goes BPA at #20 and if he thinks Zeke is worthy than I'm all in, but something tells me with his background in scouting and how they found Foster as an UDFA, Mac is not a 1st round RB kinda guy. If you want to come right out of the gate firing in 2016 you do it by starting guys with NFL experience. 

Now I don't know if he could pull it off but I'd rather we resign Powell & add a RB like Ronnie Hillman. If a stud RB falls and he's sitting there in the lower rounds you draft him to bring him along slowly so he's ready to roll by the end of the season. In a passing offense like Chan Gailey, the RB has to know WTF he's doing. Bilal & Ronnie are both really versatile RBs & both are really good catching out of the backfield. If Mac can solidify that 3rd WR (Enunwa really effed up in Buffalo), and get a guy with really good hands Gailey can really spread out the field. 20 is a good spot to get a stud LB, Harris is on his last legs. Or maybe a LT falls so we can finally start looking to replace DBrick? I think those spots are much more important to our success in the future than a RB. 

I don't get all this "generational talent" mumbo jumbo.  It's like "franchise QB".  RBs are devalued in today's NFL.  We all get that.  RBBC and all that jazz, so I understand not wanting to take a RB at the top of the first unless they are the next Gurley, but at 20?  WTF?  You only want your RB for one contract anyway, so taking somebody in the late first and being able to hang on to them for 5 years seems about perfect to me. 

Agreed.  Naturally, you don't want to end up with a Montee Ball or something, but if a RB happens to be the BPA on our board at 20, why not?  That 5th-year option is an excellent point. 

This is 100% accurate.

Well, #20 overall isn't #5 overall. 

If you draft him at #20, you have him pretty cheap for 5 years, which will probably be 5 of the best years of his career.  If you have a talent that fits your system fall to you, then you draft him.  I don't really care if it's a guard or a safety or a running back.   That being said, I don't know the guy, and don't know how good he can be at the next level.  But if the Jets have him #1 on their board when it's their time to draft, then you draft him.  Even if you bring Ivory back, because they want to run the ball, and Ivory is not a 300 carry guy.

Well, #20 overall isn't #5 overall. 

If you draft him at #20, you have him pretty cheap for 5 years, which will probably be 5 of the best years of his career.  If you have a talent that fits your system fall to you, then you draft him.  I don't really care if it's a guard or a safety or a running back.   That being said, I don't know the guy, and don't know how good he can be at the next level.  But if the Jets have him #1 on their board when it's their time to draft, then you draft him.  Even if you bring Ivory back, because they want to run the ball, and Ivory is not a 300 carry guy.

+1

I think it is pretty obvious that position value is part of making the draft board.  Guy might be the next Ray Guy, but that isn't getting him to #1 overall on anybody's board.  Certain positions are generally devalued.  The draft board isn't just "best player"  It includes position value and scheme fit.  That is why risky QBs are worth way more than risky ILBs. 

Point is you don't need a franchise running back to make and win in the playoffs. And you certainly don't need a first round pick. There are guys performing well at the position that weren't even drafted or were drafted in later rounds. You obviously need solid backs to succeed in the NFL. You don't need to take them in the first round. I would rather the Jets take the 2nd or 3rd best OT or OLB than 2nd to 3rd best RB. Running back in today's NFL is not a position to throw money or high round picks anymore. The game has changed. 

If you want to give the ball 200+ times a season, it doesn't hurt if he's a good player.  The offense does better when they can run it, young fresh legs are good for that.   #20 is not a top 5 pick, and if you get someone good at #20 then you are not spending a ton of money at the position. 

Pass. Prefer an edge rusher like Floyd or ILB Ragland, or T Conklin.  J Smith from ND could possibly slip down as well. There are a plethora of RB's that could compliment Powell who I firmly believe will return and even possibly Ivory.  A RB in round 3 or 4 makes more sense. We need to go LB and T in first 2 rounds. If a QB is not taken in first 2 rounds then its telling that Mac & Co. are feeling good about Petty's development. If one is taken early, that would be quite a statement.     

I could see if it was a 'franchise back' like an Earl Cambell, OJ, Marcus Allen,  Eric Dickerson, Payton - guys along that pedigree.  That's rare and they  never last to the 20th pick.  

Pass. Prefer an edge rusher like Floyd or ILB Ragland, or T Conklin.  J Smith from ND could possibly slip down as well. There are a plethora of RB's that could compliment Powell who I firmly believe will return and even possibly Ivory.  A RB in round 3 or 4 makes more sense. We need to go LB and T in first 2 rounds. If a QB is not taken in first 2 rounds then its telling that Mac & Co. are feeling good about Petty's development. If one is taken early, that would be quite a statement.     

Kiper has us taking Smith from ND at 20 in his first mock this morning. Might be worth a redshirt recovery year. He should be a top 5 pick.

Kiper has us taking Smith from ND at 20 in his first mock this morning. Might be worth a redshirt recovery year. He should be a top 5 pick.

We aren't good enough, nor have we won enough, to take players that won't help us this year. If we were coming off a Super Bowl winning year, maybe, but we need players who can help us now. 

Archived