Let's play Devils Advocate.

Tony The Wiz

2 hours ago, RSJ said:

Yeah so there have been other besides Moon. I am not going to look them all up. As far as Houston is concerned. Rick Smith makes the call there. O'Brien never even talked to Osweiler before he was signed. He has no input on the draft or free agency. I dont think anyone on the board feels a second round pick is automatically a franchise QB. No more than they felt Devin Smith was a franchise WR last year. I think a lot of people like the pick and are hopeful he turns out to be good. There are only 15 players in the draft with first round grades. After that everyone has some flaws.

Where did you get there were only 15 players who had 1st round grades? This draft was one of the most deepest drafts in the last ten years. Look it up on every experts draft board.  There were 4 QBS that had 1st round grades just alone. Also I don't need for you to look up any QBS that had 2 years who had  below average years in college because if you can't remember right away there must not have been too many. For you to say that O'brien had no input you have to have been involved in the Houston management. I know I am not and I can guess you are not either. What I am trying to say, forget a GM, if as an owner who knows that you have coached a certain player and knows he is worth a 1st round pick or early pick why in heaven as an owner would I give all that money to an unproven QB.  I would rather draft the kid. You mean O'brien would not discuss this with his owner. So to me this is a damning fact on Hackenbergs whole package of work from his head coach who coached him to his best year. It seems like his old coach doesn't believe in him.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I have doubts about this now that they've drafted Bissett.

I don't think they waste a 3rd rounder if they think Garapolo is the heir apparent 

They drafted Bissett since Brady could be suspended. Garapolo will succeed Brady one day. I wish he could be a Jet because what I seen in the pre season he looks real good.

Cravens or Deion Jones would have been my pick in round 2 if i were making the call. I thought they would have fit our defense nicely and yes i would have doubled down on LB even though we took Lee in the first. I do hope Hackenberg ends up being a half decent starting QB though if he does i will be happy with this pick even if one of my Lbs end up being perennial probowlers.

On 5/3/2016 at 5:53 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

Just need to inform you they have a way better backup than Hackenberg in  Garapolo. I watched  all his games in pre season  and he is impressive. I wish he was a Jet.

Garapolo will be a FA when Brady will still want to play, and the Pats are not franchising him.  This year, and next year are around the time frame when a QB might get post Brady chance.  Jimmy a FA after 17, and Pats will be shipping him off to the highest bidder next year after he tears it up for 4 games.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Garapolo will be a FA when Brady will still want to play, and the Pats are not franchising him.  This year, and next year are around the time frame when a QB might get post Brady chance.  Jimmy a FA after 17, and Pats will be shipping him off to the highest bidder next year after he tears it up for 4 games.

I understand about his Free agency. Now let us be real and forget we are Jet fans. If you have a real good young QB, will you as a Franchise try to trade him? Let us be real already. I rather trade Brady who will be 40 years old. Look I would sign Garapolo in a mini second if he was a free agent.  Looking at him in those pre season games I really saw something in him and I got sick to my stomach that they have found another QB. The Colts did it with Peyton and the Patriots would do it with Brady. It is business. 

2 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I understand about his Free agency. Now let us be real and forget we are Jet fans. If you have a real good young QB, will you as a Franchise try to trade him? Let us be real already. I rather trade Brady who will be 40 years old. Look I would sign Garapolo in a mini second if he was a free agent.  Looking at him in those pre season games I really saw something in him and I got sick to my stomach that they have found another QB. The Colts did it with Peyton and the Patriots would do it with Brady. It is business. 

Yeah but does Jimmy G have a protein shake business up, and running yet?  If Brady puts up similar numbers through his 12 games this year as last year, and plays in 17 the Pats will be in a real tough spot with how much Jimmy G will command, and how much they are on the hook for with Brady in his final 2 years of his contract.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:24 PM, Warfish said:

I prefer an alternate Devil's Advocate question:

If the Jets passed on Hack in the 2nd, where would Hack have been picked and by whom?

That's not really the same type of discussion. 

The Wiz is just saying, based on the known players available at that pick, who would you take instead. Any answer given is defensible, because those players were actually options.

What you're asking is unprovable, and thus not really defensible. More like a "give me your opinion and then argue over it" proposition.

On 5/3/2016 at 9:47 AM, Warfish said:

I think that's pure fantasy, as is talk that the dreaded Pats would have taken him.  The Pats already have a QB to develop, and Hack is not the kind of player Belichek would pick.  This belief is pure Jets Fan inferiority complex, the same silliness that gets bandied about every time we cut anyone...."oh noes, Beli is going to sign him now and make him an all pro!"

Both sides of this argument are pure fantasy. 

On 5/3/2016 at 2:33 PM, Augustiniak said:

if the patriots had drafted him the pick would have been lauded for belichick's genius.

Yes, and all we'd hear about is the O'Brien to Beli connection, and about how both Bills "know something".

Basically the same as what's going on now with Brissett and Bill Parcells instead.

1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Where did you get there were only 15 players who had 1st round grades? This draft was one of the most deepest drafts in the last ten years. Look it up on every experts draft board.  There were 4 QBS that had 1st round grades just alone. Also I don't need for you to look up any QBS that had 2 years who had  below average years in college because if you can't remember right away there must not have been too many. For you to say that O'brien had no input you have to have been involved in the Houston management. I know I am not and I can guess you are not either. What I am trying to say, forget a GM, if as an owner who knows that you have coached a certain player and knows he is worth a 1st round pick or early pick why in heaven as an owner would I give all that money to an unproven QB.  I would rather draft the kid. You mean O'brien would not discuss this with his owner. So to me this is a damning fact on Hackenbergs whole package of work from his head coach who coached him to his best year. It seems like his old coach doesn't believe in him.

4 first round QB's this year? Are you serious? lol

There are other QB's who had sub par college careers and were productive in the NFL. I brought up Warren Moon and you said it was because of his 8 years in the CFL. Warren Moon only played 6 years in the CFL. Why should I keep bringing up others for someone who cant get his facts straight on the first one I brought up? He was undrafted and not even offered a tryout so it's kinda hard to say how he would have done in an NFL camp. Who is to say Moon wouldnt have had the same success in the NFL that he had in the CFL? 

Want some others? Elway was 15-18 as a starter. This years #1 pick was 14-23 as a starter. How about Joe Montana? His stats were horrible. Never above 54% and never more than 11 tds.

None of this really matters. Because scouting and drafting is a projection. It's not like other things.

I'm not going to get into the Texans decision making and rumors on whats going on there. I'll just say that I dont really care what O'Brien or Rick Smith think of our choice. They barely made the playoff for the first time in forever in the AFC South. Not a franchise I want to model after. Its been pretty evident that Rick Smith listens to no one and has a lot of pull there. Which is why he is still there and Kubiak is gone.

45 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The Wiz is just saying, based on the known players available at that pick, who would you take instead. Any answer given is defensible, because those players were actually options.

What you're asking is unprovable, and thus not really defensible. More like a "give me your opinion and then argue over it" proposition.

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

And?

11 minutes ago, RSJ said:

4 first round QB's this year? Are you serious? lol

There are other QB's who had sub par college careers and were productive in the NFL. I brought up Warren Moon and you said it was because of his 8 years in the CFL. Warren Moon only played 6 years in the CFL. Why should I keep bringing up others for someone who cant get his facts straight on the first one I brought up? He was undrafted and not even offered a tryout so it's kinda hard to say how he would have done in an NFL camp. Who is to say Moon wouldnt have had the same success in the NFL that he had in the CFL? 

Want some others? Elway was 15-18 as a starter. This years #1 pick was 14-23 as a starter. How about Joe Montana? His stats were horrible. Never above 54% and never more than 11 tds.

None of this really matters. Because scouting and drafting is a projection. It's not like other things.

I'm not going to get into the Texans decision making and rumors on whats going on there. I'll just say that I dont really care what O'Brien or Rick Smith think of our choice. They barely made the playoff for the first time in forever in the AFC South. Not a franchise I want to model after. Its been pretty evident that Rick Smith listens to no one and has a lot of pull there. Which is why he is still there and Kubiak is gone.

Don't embarrass yourself already.  Not only was there 4 first round QBS who were draft worthy there were over 32 first round grades not only on my board but by Mike Mayock, NFL draft Scout, Walter Football and others. Obviously you know nothing about college football and to even suggest Elways name in college is a complete joke. Montana was one of my best predictions in the draft as was Jerry Rice. Watched many games Montana played and watched Rice in the Blue Gray game. I am not going to discuss something that knows nothing about college prospects. 

57 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Don't embarrass yourself already.  Not only was there 4 first round QBS who were draft worthy there were over 32 first round grades not only on my board but by Mike Mayock, NFL draft Scout, Walter Football and others. Obviously you know nothing about college football and to even suggest Elways name in college is a complete joke. Montana was one of my best predictions in the draft as was Jerry Rice. Watched many games Montana played and watched Rice in the Blue Gray game. I am not going to discuss something that knows nothing about college prospects. 

Jeez, I didn't know I was chatting with Ron Wolf. lol Every year there are about 15 players with first round grades on them. Just because there are 32 teams in the doesn't mean there are 32 first round prospects. Montana had very unimpressive numbers in college. Not sure how you predicted Montana when his college production was pretty average. I mean you can't possibly become a franchise QB if you have bad college numbers, right? Wasn't that your point?

Now go give Ray Lucas a call and see what he thinks.

On May 3, 2016 at 7:34 PM, sirlancemehlot said:

Just ownership and GM. When the last super bowl appearance was 1969, the fans have every right to be critical. 

Dont sell yourself short.  You whine about everything, every one.  

Its what you do

23 hours ago, RSJ said:

Jeez, I didn't know I was chatting with Ron Wolf. lol Every year there are about 15 players with first round grades on them. Just because there are 32 teams in the doesn't mean there are 32 first round prospects. Montana had very unimpressive numbers in college. Not sure how you predicted Montana when his college production was pretty average. I mean you can't possibly become a franchise QB if you have bad college numbers, right? Wasn't that your point?

Me and Ray are bros.

On 5/4/2016 at 11:08 PM, RSJ said:

Off the top of my head I would say Warren Moon had a horrible college career and turned out to be a decent QB. Brady wasn't even the starter at Michigan, Drew Henson was. He also couldnt beat out Brian Griese. But I don't think any QB was in a situation quite like Hackenberg was at Penn State either. It's not often that the top rated HS prospect sticks it out in that program, with those sanctions. They had one scholarship athlete on the OL and he was hurt. The rest were converted DL's. I also wouldnt call Hackenberg a franchise QB. He was a second round pick, I dont think its fair to use the word franchise at this point. He is a second round pick just like Devin Smith was. But I dont think it would be shocking if Hackenberg turned out to be one either. Not being able to win your starting job in college and then having a HOF career like Brady did is more impressive I think.

On 5/4/2016 at 11:08 PM, RSJ said:

Off the top of my head I would say Warren Moon had a horrible college career and turned out to be a decent QB. Brady wasn't even the starter at Michigan, Drew Henson was. He also couldnt beat out Brian Griese. But I don't think any QB was in a situation quite like Hackenberg was at Penn State either. It's not often that the top rated HS prospect sticks it out in that program, with those sanctions. They had one scholarship athlete on the OL and he was hurt. The rest were converted DL's. I also wouldnt call Hackenberg a franchise QB. He was a second round pick, I dont think its fair to use the word franchise at this point. He is a second round pick just like Devin Smith was. But I dont think it would be shocking if Hackenberg turned out to be one either. Not being able to win your starting job in college and then having a HOF career like Brady did is more impressive I think.

Or it makes you a big fat cheater!

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:00 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

What are you talking about. Cheating on what. 

I was referring to Brady's meteoric rise from completely unknown 2rd/3rd stringer to HOF best player ever...I couldn't figure out how to bold the line that I was referring to. 

And I still contend that taping signals helped him develop the fundamental understanding of the game that he has today.  It significantly speeded up his development in ways that I don't think anyone is considering.

6 hours ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

I was referring to Brady's meteoric rise from completely unknown 2rd/3rd stringer to HOF best player ever...I couldn't figure out how to bold the line that I was referring to. 

And I still contend that taping signals helped him develop the fundamental understanding of the game that he has today.  It significantly speeded up his development in ways that I don't think anyone is considering.

What helped him the most was the control of the ball he was using. I remember seeing him in games where it was snowing and his control of the ball was unbelievable compared to his opponent. They finally caught him in that playoff game.  

11 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

What helped him the most was the control of the ball he was using. I remember seeing him in games where it was snowing and his control of the ball was unbelievable compared to his opponent. They finally caught him in that playoff game.  

Yep I still remember chicago game that was played during a blizzard, bears had 4 fumbles  and cutler had 2 ints, pats had no turnovers.

Team Stats

New England Patriots Chicago Bears
First downs 27 12
Rushes - yards 35-124 14-47
Net Passing Yards 351 138
Punt Returns 2-43 1-17
Kickoff Returns 1-18 7-196
Interception Returns 2-13 0-0
Passing (Att - Comp - Int) 40-27-0 26-12-2
Sacked - Yards Lost 3-18 2-14
Punts 2-35.5 5-32.2
Fumbles - Lost 0-0 4-2
Penalties - Yards 4-43 4-30
Time of Possession 39:41 20:19

Passing

New England Patriots Att Cmp Yds YPA TD Int Lg Sack Loss Rate
Tom Brady 40 27 369 9.2 2 0 59t 3 18 113.4
Chicago Bears Att Cmp Yds YPA TD Int Lg Sack Loss Rate
Jay Cutler 26 12 152 5.8 0 2 33 2 14 32.9

Rushing

New England Patriots Att Yds Avg Lg TD FD
BenJarvus Green-Ellis 21 87 4.14 17 0 6
Danny Woodhead 7 21 3.00 5 1 3
Fred Taylor 3 16 5.33 10 0 1
Sammy Morris 1 2 2.00 2 0 1
Brian Hoyer 3 -2 -0.67 0 0 0
Chicago Bears Att Yds Avg Lg TD FD
Matt Forte 9 25 2.78 9 0 1
Jay Cutler 2 21 10.50 14 0 1
Chester Taylor 3 1 0.33 1t 1 1

Receiving

New England Patriots Rec Yds Avg Lg TD FD Tar YAC
Deion Branch 8 151 18.88 59t 1 6 10 --
Wes Welker 8 115 14.38 24 0 5 13 --
Rob Gronkowski 5 43 8.60 15 1 3 6 --
Danny Woodhead 2 1 0.50 5 0 0 3 --
Aaron Hernandez 2 19 9.50 14 0 1 4 --
Brandon Tate 2 40 20.00 28 0 1 3 --
BenJarvus Green-Ellis 0 0 0.00 0 0 0 1 --
Chicago Bears Rec Yds Avg Lg TD FD Tar YAC
Earl Bennett 3 53 17.67 33 0 3 7 --
Johnny Knox 2 16 8.00 19 0 1 4 --
Devin Hester 2 17 8.50 12 0 1 4 --
Matt Forte 2 36 18.00 30 0 1 6 --
Greg Olsen 1 6 6.00 6 0 0 1 --
Chester Taylor 1 8 8.00 8 0 1 2 --
Devin Aromashodu 1 16 16.00 16 0 1 1 --
Brandon Manumaleuna 0 0 0.00 0 0 0 1 --

Kickoff Returns

New England Patriots Num Yds Avg FC Lg TD
Sammy Morris 1 18 18.00 0 18 0
Chicago Bears Num Yds Avg FC Lg TD
Danieal Manning 4 124 31.00 0 40 0
Devin Hester 2 74 37.00 0 61 0
Rashied Davis 1 -2 -2.00 0 -2 0

Punt Returns

New England Patriots Num Yds Avg FC Lg TD
Julian Edelman 2 43 21.50 0 42 0
Chicago Bears Num Yds Avg FC Lg TD
Devin Hester 1 17 17.00 0 17 0

Punting

New England Patriots Punts Yds Avg Lg TB In20 Blk Net Ret RYds
Zoltan Mesko 2 71 35.5 38 1 0 0 17.0 1 17
Chicago Bears Punts Yds Avg Lg TB In20 Blk Net Ret RYds
Brad Maynard 5 161 32.2 38 0 2 0 23.6 2 43

Kicking

New England Patriots PAT FG 0-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ Lg Miss Pts
Shayne Graham 3/4 3/3 0/0 2/2 1/1 0/0 0/0 30 -- 12
Chicago Bears PAT FG 0-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ Lg Miss Pts
Robbie Gould 1/1 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0 0 -- 1

Kickoffs

New England Patriots Num Yds Avg Lg TB OB Ret RYds TD OSK OSR
Shayne Graham 7 430 61.4 66 0 0 7 194 0 0 0
Chicago Bears Num Yds Avg Lg TB OB Ret RYds TD OSK OSR
Robbie Gould 2 126 63.0 70 1 0 1 18 0 0 0

Defense

New England Patriots Int Yds Avg Lg TD Solo Ast Tot Sack YdsL
Kyle Arrington 0 0 0.00 0 0 6 0 6 0.0 0.0
Patrick Chung 0 0 0.00 0 0 4 2 6 0.0 0.0
Eric Moore 0 0 0.00 0 0 4 0 4 1.0 10.0
Jerod Mayo 0 0 0.00 0 0 3 1 4 0.0 0.0
Gary Guyton 1 13 13.00 13 0 2 1 3 0.0 0.0
Devin McCourty 0 0 0.00 0 0 3 0 3 0.0 0.0
Rob Ninkovich 0 0 0.00 0 0 3 0 3 0.0 0.0
Tracy White 0 0 0.00 0 0 2 0 2 0.0 0.0
Brandon Meriweather 1 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
Matt Slater 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
Jarrad Page 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
Ron Brace 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
Gerard Warren 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 1.0 4.0
James Sanders 0 0 0.00 0 0 0 1 1 0.0 0.0
Chicago Bears Int Yds Avg Lg TD Solo Ast Tot Sack YdsL
Brian Urlacher 0 0 0.00 0 0 9 2 11 1.0 2.0
Danieal Manning 0 0 0.00 0 0 7 1 8 0.0 0.0
Julius Peppers 0 0 0.00 0 0 6 0 6 1.0 8.0
Major Wright 0 0 0.00 0 0 5 1 6 0.0 0.0
Charles Tillman 0 0 0.00 0 0 5 0 5 0.0 0.0
Lance Briggs 0 0 0.00 0 0 3 2 5 0.0 0.0
Chris Harris 0 0 0.00 0 0 4 1 5 0.0 0.0
Anthony Adams 0 0 0.00 0 0 4 0 4 1.0 8.0
Israel Idonije 0 0 0.00 0 0 3 1 4 0.0 0.0
Nick Roach 0 0 0.00 0 0 2 1 3 0.0 0.0
Corey Wootton 0 0 0.00 0 0 2 0 2 0.0 0.0
Rashied Davis 0 0 0.00 0 0 2 0 2 0.0 0.0
Tim Jennings 0 0 0.00 0 0 2 0 2 0.0 0.0
Matt Toeaina 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 1 2 0.0 0.0
Rodrigues Wilson 0 0 0.00 0 0 2 0 2 0.0 0.0
Earl Bennett 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
Zack Bowman 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
Henry Melton 0 0 0.00 0 0 0 1 1 0.0 0.0
Roberto Garza 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
D.J. Moore 0 0 0.00 0 0 1 0 1 0.0 0.0

Fumbles

New England Patriots Fum Lost Forced Own Opp Tot Yds TD
Gary Guyton 0 0 0 0 1 1 35 1
Jerod Mayo 0 0 0 0 1 1 -2 0
Devin McCourty 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
Eric Moore 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
Chicago Bears Fum Lost Forced Own Opp Tot Yds TD
Jay Cutler 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
Rashied Davis 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Johnny Knox 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
Brad Maynard 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0
Earl Bennett 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0

RELATED PAGES

Thursday, December 9, 2010
Indianapolis 30
Tennessee 28
Boxscore F

Sunday, December 12, 2010
Tampa Bay 17
Washington 16
Boxscore F
Atlanta 31
Carolina 10
Boxscore F

9 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Would of traded for Glennon. 

nobody wants him, not even tampa.  they can't even get rid of him for a mid round pick.  yet he's good enough to get the jets to the playoffs?

reminds me of rodney dangerfield's line from caddyshack, "they should give you a free bowl of soup with that hat....looks good on you though..."

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

nobody wants him, not even tampa.  they can't even get rid of him for a mid round pick.  yet he's good enough to get the jets to the playoffs?

reminds me of rodney dangerfield's line from caddyshack, "they should give you a free bowl of soup with that hat....looks good on you though..."

It's a thread about an alternative to Hack in the 2nd. I am not bashing the pick, calm down and take you meds Judge Smails.

On 5/5/2016 at 9:28 PM, RSJ said:

Well he did have just a 54% completion rate his senior year that's a fact.. However QB Jack Thompson the 3rd player chosen in the 1st rd Montana's year had 50% and 17 tds and 20 picks.. It's had to compare the 60's or 70's production with today's mindset or expectations.. When Namath came out in 1965 and was the Jets 1st rd pick our 2nd rd pick was QB John Huarte the Heisman winner who crapped out in the Pro's.. Obviously success in college doesn't mean success in the Pro's..

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Well he did have just a 54% completion rate his senior year that's a fact.. However QB Jack Thompson the 3rd player chosen in the 1st rd Montana's year had 50% and 17 rds and 20 picks.. It's had to compare the 60's or 70's production with today's mindset or expectations.. When Namath came out in 1965 and was the Jets 1st rd pick our 2nd rd pick was QB John Huarte the Heisman winner who crapped out in the Pro's.. Obviously success in college doesn't mean success in the Pro's..

Interesting. Great post. It was different back then. I'm sure Montana played in some BS college offense too. And as you pointed out he came out after senior year, not junior year.

15 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

No, not true...its really because Bellichek is such a great coach. 

You know he benches people who fumble! 

He also dips the balls in ice water during practice to train his team better than any other coach! 

Really, its true!

4 minutes ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

No, not true...its really because Bellichek is such a great coach. 

You know he benches people who fumble! 

He also dips his balls in ice water during practice to show his team he's better than any other coach and has ice in his veins! 

Really, its true!

Wow what a guy..:)

Archived