CLE Observations

KRL

What an absolute rollercoaster of a win, basically CLE became CLE in the second
half and allowed us to win.  In the first half the defense allowed McCown to look
like Dan Marino and Darrelle Revis coverage on Pryor was passive.  Offensively 
Ryan Fitzpatrick was inept and the OLine allowed Nassib to block passes like JJ Watt.
Let's take a look at all phases of the game:

Special Teams

- Lachlan Edwards bounced back from his BAL fumble and pinned CLE inside the 20
multiple times

- Another nondescript day from both Marshalls (Jalin & Nick) in kick and punt
returns.  It's been awhile since we had a field changing play from this unit

- The kick & punt coverage were solid but it would be nice if they could create a
turnover

Offense

- The OLine was excellent in run blocking and decent in pass protection.  Thankfully
they made an adjustment in the second half and took Nassib out of the passing lanes

- Even though the offense was inept in the first half I do like how Gailey tried to
get the other WR's involved (Robby Anderson, Charone Peake) before focusing on Brandon
Marshall

- Quincy Enunwa was a beast and totally changed the momentum of the game in the second
half:
  1. He prevented a horrible INT by Fitzpatrick by ripping the ball away from Taylor
     on our first drive
  2. He then scored our first TD of the half by running through four tacklers
  3. He then caught a 30+ yard seam pattern that set up our second TD

- A good "growth" game by Robby Anderson making tough catches over the middle to extend
drives

- Excellent games from the RB tandem of Matt Forte & Bilal Powell (150+ yards rushing
and 3 TD's).  Good to see Powell's touches finally increase his speed/shiftiness really
changes the game

- Fitzpatrick was awful in the first half and in my mind should've been on the verge of
being pulled (3 for 14, 30 yards).  Even though he was bad, he deserves a HUGE assist on
the Powell TD by checking to that play.  In the second half he was a totally different player
and managed the game well leading the team to 24 points (13 for 20, 200 yards).  But he still
made two head scratching throws that should've been INT's if not for Enunwa & Marshall knocking
the balls away.  Those have got to be eliminated

Defense

- Excellent run defense as usual but with more 4-3 looks this week the pressure disappeared.
It makes you wonder if our personnel gets in each other's way in the 4-3

- Revis coverage on Pryor in the first half was too soft.  He was giving 6+ yards of cushion 
on every play.  Thankfully in the second half he got in Pryor's face and with safety help
we shut him out

- Excellent second half performances from Calvin Pryor, Marcus Gilchrist and Lorenzo
Mauldin.  Mauldin has improved in his all around LB play and showed good athleticism on the
INT

- Julian Stanford probably was the only defender who play well throughout the game.  His
speed is noticeable and when Darron Lee gets back we need to create packages that use
them together

- Bowles deserves credit for his challenge on the Barnidge "non-catch".  It took away a
first down and on the next play Mauldin got his INT to seal the game

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up one score with a few minutes left and Fitz throws a should-be interception right to Joe Haden. I'd like to say that sh*t isn't acceptable, but apparently it is, because he's still trotted out there week after week. Enunwa had a monster game and is the reason we won today; could have even had a bigger day if Fitzy wasn't behind on a couple of those crossing routes. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Up one score with a few minutes left and Fitz throws a should-be interception right to Joe Haden. I'd like to say that sh*t isn't acceptable, but apparently it is, because he's still trotted out there week after week. Enunwa had a monster game and is the reason we won today; could have even had a bigger day if Fitzy wasn't behind on a couple of those crossing routes. 

IF you watched the play Haden was pushing Marshall out of the way with one hand. So for that to be a pick he would have had to catch it on the palm with one had.

3 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Team would be undefeated without Fitz 

Enunwa ripping that pick away virtually guarantees us 3 more weeks of fitz. They had petty warming before half and I think the pull fitz if that's an interception. Thanks Quincy, appreciate the effort but could not have happened at a worse time

9 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

Enunwa ripping that pick away virtually guarantees us 3 more weeks of fitz. They had petty warming before half and I think the pull fitz if that's an interception. Thanks Quincy, appreciate the effort but could not have happened at a worse time

Fitz should play because he gives us the best chance to win.  I don't believe on quitting on a season with only half the games being played, I'm funny that way.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Fitz should play because he gives us the best chance to win.  I don't believe on quitting on a season with only half the games being played, I'm funny that way.

how do you know that? Fitz is so awful I believe there is a good chance Petty right now is better then him.

3 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

how do you know that? Fitz is so awful I believe there is a god chance Petty right now is better then him.

Petty is raw and has no regular season experience.  You cannot hand the team over to him when there is still a mathematical chance.  Once we get our 7th loss, I'm all for going to the young QB.

Petty is raw and has no regular season experience.  You cannot hand the team over to him when their is still a mathematical chance.  Once we get our 7th loss, I'm all for going to the young QB.

That's a bitch move. The broncos went for it last year and the Pats would do it in a heartbeat. 

Petty is raw and has no regular season experience.  You cannot hand the team over to him when their is still a mathematical chance.  Once we get our 7th loss, I'm all for going to the young QB.

lol

you know just as well as me that this team will never make the playoffs , lets just stop pretending.

Fitz has all the experience in the world , I don't see that helping him.

Season is over man. Like it or not we won't make the playoffs and even if we did we aren't winning a super bowl so what's the point in trotting a journeyman who won't be back no matter what instead of seeing what one of the only 2 qbs on the roster is capable of

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, kdels62 said:

That's a bitch move. The broncos went for it last year and the Pats would do it in a heartbeat. 

I don't know what you mean the Broncos did it last year, they won the Super Bowl with Manning.  Belichick has Brady, so I don't know how you came to your conclusion.

2 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

lol

you know just as well as me that this team will never make the playoffs , lets just stop pretending.

Fitz has all the experience in the world , I don't see that helping him.

I'm not a quitter, and if Bowles is a quitter he should be fired.  Using your mentality the Chiefs should have quit last year!

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I don't know what you mean the Broncos did it last year, they won the Super Bowl with Manning.  Belichick has Brady, so I don't know how you came to your conclusion.

I mean that they handed over the reins of a promising season to a kid when they had to.

Well nice review but I say beating (barely) the worst team in the league by three points and being thoroughly outplayed and outcoached speaks volumes about this team and the coaching staff.   They came out flat again which is not a hall mark of this HC.... Sorry but I see a poorly coached team that at times beats only poor teams not good teams....

I find the "Cleveland became Cleveland and allowed us to win" excerpt as a bit of a paradox.  

I think what Cleveland is doing is not Cleveland like at all.  They have dumped many of the overpriced veteran talent on the roster.  Thus, setting up the team to lose... a lot.  But it is also allowing them to experiment with young players to find quality.  Their roster is young and hungry, eager to make an impression to stick in the NFL. They play hard while continuing to lose.  Perfect scenario for the franchise. Unlike the wealthy veterans the Jets have that some feel have already mailed it in.  Winning meaningless games and gping nowhere slow.  The Browns are acquiring draft picks, and have some offensive pieces in place such as Crowell, Duke, Pryor, and Coleman for when they do draft their QB.  The mistake they probably made was passing on Wentz, but the methodology is sound.

The Jets are putzing around in mediocrity...again.  Time to blow it up before next season. 

Just now, kdels62 said:

I mean that they handed over the reins of a promising season to a kid when they had to.

There was no starter on the Broncos coming off a 10 win season, Trevor Siemian's only competition was FA QB Mark Sanchez and rookie Paxton Lynch.  Siemian also had a solid preseason, different circumstance than the Jets.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

There was no starter on the Broncos coming off a 10 win season, Trevor Siemian's only competition was FA QB Mark Sanchez and rookie Paxton Lynch.  Siemian also had a solid preseason, different circumstance than the Jets.

Did Petty not have a solid preseason?

and last year when given the opportunity it's they decided to role with their young unproven QB instead of signin someone with experience.

7 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

Season is over man. Like it or not we won't make the playoffs and even if we did we aren't winning a super bowl so what's the point in trotting a journeyman who won't be back no matter what instead of seeing what one of the only 2 qbs on the roster is capable of

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Go tell that to Mangold, Clady, Forte, McClendon, Harris etc. face to face. Petty will see the field before the season is over. 

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Did Petty not have a solid preseason?

and last year when given the opportunity it's they decided to role with their young unproven QB instead of signin someone with experience.

Petty was OK and made strides from last season.  He currently is the #2 QB on the team and will probably get a chance to play at some point, but I still feel that Bowles should stick with Fitz in the near term.  The Jets have won 2 games in a row, and have a chance to reach 5-5 heading into the bye.

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I find the "Cleveland became Cleveland and allowed us to win" excerpt as a bit of a paradox.  

I think what Cleveland is doing is not Cleveland like at all.  They have dumped many of the overpriced veteran talent on the roster.  Thus, setting up the team to lose... a lot.  But it is also allowing them to experiment with young players to find quality.  Their roster is young and hungry, eager to make an impression to stick in the NFL. They play hard while continuing to lose.  Perfect scenario for the franchise. Unlike the wealthy veterans the Jets have that some feel have already mailed it in.  Winning meaningless games and gping nowhere slow.  The Browns are acquiring draft picks, and have some offensive pieces in place such as Crowell, Duke, Pryor, and Coleman for when they do draft their QB.  The mistake they probably made was passing on Wentz, but the methodology is sound.

The Jets are putzing around in mediocrity...again.  Time to blow it up before next season. 

And what if they don't get better? CLE that is.

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Petty was OK and made strides from last season.  He currently is the #2 QB on the team and will probably get a chance to play at some point, but I still feel that Bowles should stick with Fitz in the near term.  The Jets have won 2 games in a row, and have a chance to reach 5-5 heading into the bye.

Yeah I agree..I want to see what petty can do but I think you go with Fitz until they lose.  At least now with Geno gone get actually gets to practice with ones.

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

And what if they don't get better? CLE that is.

Then the execution failed, but the plan is correct.   Mathematically, logically, and common sense wise... it is correct.

Better to try the correct plan than play several more years of mediocre football with zero chance to compete for a SB, right?

What is going to drive me nuts in April is if the Jets do this, and I believe they very well could, is the moron "STB" fans that can't see more than 1 week into the future and are complaining that the Jets aren't signing any of the big names in Free Agency.

I will blast them without mercy.

Time to sacrifice 3 to 4 years of really bad football to build something real, and not a mirage.

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Then the execution failed, but the plan is correct.   Mathematically, logically, and common sense wise... it is correct.

Better to try the correct plan than play several more years of mediocre football with zero chance to compete for a SB, right?

What is going to drive me nuts in April is if the Jets do this, and I believe they very well could, is the moron "STB" fans that can't see more than 1 week into the future and are complaining that the Jets aren't signing any of the big names in Free Agency.

Guess we shall see 2-4 years from now...

This fool Fitzpatrick has gotta be benched I know we won woohoo! He was awful got bailed out by his wrs yet again. Missing easy throws, making bad decisions it's time to put him on the bench but im sure he earned another start with this pathetic excuse for a win over an 0-7 team. 

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

This fool Fitzpatrick has gotta be benched I know we won woohoo! He was awful got bailed out by his wrs yet again. Missing easy throws, making bad decisions it's time to put him on the bench but im sure he earned another start with this pathetic excuse for a win over an 0-7 team. 

We just beat the Browns Fitzpatrick is the best QB in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

If we ain't blowing out the browns we might as well lose 

Archived