Calvin Pryor's future with Jets in danger ? ? ?

kelly

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets practice on two fields simultaneously during OTAs, splitting the team into starters/second string and everybody else on the far field. Former No. 1 pick Calvin Pryor was on the "everybody else" field, as two rookies -- Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye -- worked with the starters. Not hard to read the handwriting on the wall.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, kelly said:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets practice on two fields simultaneously during OTAs, splitting the team into starters/second string and everybody else on the far field. Former No. 1 pick Calvin Pryor was on the "everybody else" field, as two rookies -- Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye -- worked with the starters. Not hard to read the handwriting on the wall.

CUT!

46 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Most likely, Pryor was just transferred from active players to meal preparation staff.  He'll be fine.  From what I read, Pryor has insane "kitchen sense".

Think we draft a safety next year over Sam Darnold?

Mmmmm I think the disruptive players in the locker room have been cut, or now know they are in the Dog house. They did not invest 6th overall pick, and a second rounder on two Safeties for Pryor to start, Only reason he's around his money is guaranteed and he's just cover. The guys a gonner after 2017.

Poor slow player,who takes bad angles, can't cover, or can keep it shut, Bye bye! - Has much as I dislike Bowles, his Revenge is showing through this off season.

On 05/02/2017 at 9:53 AM, August said:

The writing is on the wall and I like Pryor but it seems like this regime is trying to replace most of the draft picks of the previous regime and unless they really play above and beyond like Enunwa, they don't have the patience to want to work with a lot of these guys. 

What could you possibly like about Pryor's play?

Replacing him has zip to do with the former regime.  Idziot was a dinglenuts.  But Pryor himself is reaponsible for the new safety picks.  Pryor is utterly atrocious.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

What could you possibly like about Pryor's play?

Replacing him has zip to do with the former regime.  Idziot was a dinglenuts.  But Pryor himself is reaponsible for the new safety picks.  Pryor is utterly atrocious.

He wasn't so bad in 2015. I do feel bad they burned a first on him and even worse a first and second to replace him.  

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He wasn't so bad in 2015. I do feel bad they burned a first on him and even worse a first and second to replace him.  

Apparently you have missed my many posts about why Pryor, did in fact, suck in 2015 too.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Apparently you have missed my many posts about why Pryor, did in fact, suck in 2015 too.

He was the same old lousy player we just faced a soft schedule and Revis and Gilchrist played well for the most part that season which helped to hide Pryor

-- Safety Calvin Pryor practiced with the third-team defense on Tuesday, another not-so-subtle indication the former first-round pick might not figure into the New York Jets' plans for the season.

Pryor worked on the far field, with the third- and fourth-stringers, while rookie safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye practiced with the starters on the near field. When the full squad came together on one field, Pryor spent most of the time on the sideline, sitting on his helmet.

Coach Todd Bowles insisted it wasn't a sign that Pryor has been demoted.

"No, it's a sign that we're moving guys around on both fields, trying to get acclimated a little bit," said Bowles, claiming it's part of a daily rotation.

Here's my take: If it looks like a demotion and smells like a demotion, it's a demotion.

Officially, Pryor hasn't lost his starting job, but his absence with the regular defense confirms he's not guaranteed a roster spot. Even Bowles acknowledged that certain players -- i.e. established starters -- don't change fields. Both safety spots are open, and it's quite obvious that Adams and Maye -- the Jets' first two 2017 draft picks -- are the preferred candidates.

Pryor declined to comment when reporters approached his locker. This was the second voluntary practice open to the media; he skipped the first one last week.

This has to be a jolt for Pryor, the 18th overall pick in 2014. Not only did the Jets draft two safeties, but they declined the fifth-year option on Pryor's contract, making him a free agent in 2018. He's not part of their long-term plans. The only question now is whether they will keep him around this season. They tried to trade him during the draft.Ultimately, that decision could be determined by their comfort level with Adams and Maye. It's hard to start two rookies at safety, a cerebral position. Then again, could the secondary play any worse than it did last year?

The Jets added another safety last week, signing veteran Corey White. He can play cornerback, too, but he'll start out as a safety, Bowles said.

The big acquisition, of course, is Adams, the sixth overall pick. His veteran teammates love his professionalism and the coaches like what they see on the field. Adams is vocal and exudes intensity."We knew he was talented, but he's learning the defense like everybody else," Bowles said. "He makes his mistakes and, as he gets better with reps in practice, we look for him to get better and better and help us."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69043/jets-calvin-pryor-goes-from-first-round-to-third-string-for-a-day-perhaps-longer

On May 30, 2017 at 1:06 PM, BurnleyJet said:

Mmmmm I think the disruptive players in the locker room have been cut, or now know they are in the Dog house. They did not invest 6th overall pick, and a second rounder on two Safeties for Pryor to start, Only reason he's around his money is guaranteed and he's just cover. The guys a gonner after 2017.

Poor slow player,who takes bad angles, can't cover, or can keep it shut, Bye bye! - Has much as I dislike Bowles, his Revenge is showing through this off season.

Jmo Yes Calvin Pryor longterm isn't long to be a Jet , but can't see the Jets starting two rookie safeties in the secondary.  ( that is recipe for disaster) I would think C Pryor would start with J Adams .   ( later in year second round safety replaces Pryor). 

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo Yes Calvin Pryor longterm isn't long to be a Jet , but can't see the Jets starting two rookie safeties in the secondary.  ( that is recipe for disaster) I would think C Pryor would start with J Adams .   ( later in year second round safety replaces Pryor). 

unless they find a trade partner for him (5the rounder? Conditional pick?), he'll play this year and ultimately rotate with the others. He'll be a FA after the season.

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

unless they find a trade partner for him (5the rounder? Conditional pick?), he'll play this year and ultimately rotate with the others. He'll be a FA after the season.

Traded to the Browns. 

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I see your record of accuracy continues.. 

26 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Lol Still not a very smart decision by the Jets to start two rookie safeties.( there is a reason NFL teams never do that)

Compared to starting NO Safeties last year, it's an improvement.

The New York Jets' offseason youth movement has claimed another victim ... and he's only 24 years old.

Calvin Pryor was traded Thursday to the Cleveland Browns, which tells us the Jets aren't making decisions based solely on birth certificates -- as was the case with old guys Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold and Brandon Marshall.

This massive rebuilding project also is an attitude movement and a production movement -- and Pryor, the Jets' 2014 first-round pick, camp up short in both areas.

Adios to the Louisville Slugger. Have fun in Cleveland.

Paying attention, Sheldon Richardson?

n reality, Pryor's fate was sealed during the draft, when the Jets used their first two picks on safeties, Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. Pryor, a safety who managed only two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 44 career games, was toast.

The Jets like what they've seen in early practices from Adams and Maye, and the plan is to make them opening day starters.

It took a month, but the Jets finally found a team willing to pick up Pryor's $1.6 million guaranteed salary for 2017. Hey, when you're looking for a salary dump, just call the Browns. The Jets still have a $1.1 million dead charge, but this was a winning move for them from a cap standpoint. If they had released Pryor -- that was the plan if they found no takers -- they would've had to eat his salary.In return, they get a familiar face -- linebacker Demario Davis, who has a non-guaranteed $3.7 million salary in the final year of his contract. This gives the Jets plenty of flexibility. In theory, they could cut Davis before the season and incur no cap charge.

From a football standpoint, they have three starting-caliber inside linebackers with David Harris, Darron Lee and Davis, who played with the Jets from 2012-15. He overlapped one season with coach Todd Bowles in 2015, so he knows the system and it should be an easy transition.It should be noted that Davis basically lost his starting job to Erin Henderson late in the 2015 season, so it would be a stretch to think he'll make a triumphant return as a starter. Harris and Lee remain the projected starters. Davis can be a depth player and he also has the athleticism to help in third-down packages. There aren't many $3.7 million backups at inside linebacker, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

The Jets are taking a risk by leaning so heavily on two rookies at safety -- the most cerebral position in the secondary -- but they made up their minds on draft day to start the future right now. They believe Adams and Maye have star potential. Suddenly, depth is an issue at safety, but that can be fixed in the coming months. The overriding message here is that no one --not even someone picked in the first round -- gets a free pass.Pryor, hailed by former coach Rex Ryan as a player with Jack Tatum-like skills, didn't make any impact plays. He'd blow up a ball carrier every so often, but he also missed too many tackles and was terrible in coverage. He failed to live up to his draft pedigree; he was 18th overall in 2014. The Jets were hoping for Odell Beckham Jr. (12th overall) but wound up with an undersized strong safety with marginal ball skills. Oops.

Pryor's attitude also soured people in the organization. They felt he had an inflated opinion of himself and didn't buy into Bowles' program. Look at it this way: They could've easily kept him as a backup -- salary-wise, it was doable -- but they wanted him out of the locker room ASAP.They were curious to see how he'd respond to the Adams and Maye additions, and when he didn't show up for the first day of OTA practices ... well, it confirmed their impression of him. On Tuesday, he was demoted to third string.Bowles downplayed the significance, spewing some coachspeak. But he also said, "If anybody's going to cry about somebody drafting somebody at their spot and not go out there and play, this is not the league for them."

Or the team.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69079/jets-motivation-for-trading-calvin-pryor-salary-and-attitude-dump

Archived