Training Camp Practice 8/24

C Mart

Honestly, I think McCown has the job. They want Hack to get as many reps as he can while he can. Hack is not quite there yet. But if McCown falters early, the Jets will not hesitate to put Hack in. 

As far a McCown losing reps before having to start, I don;t see that as a major issue for him- a well traveled veteran who showed in his only pre-season game that he has remained pretty sharp.  

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not at all.  Playing Mccown with the 1s and giving him most of the first team reps is bowles' MO, that's what he did with fitz.  It's pretty interesting how quickly everything changed, and now the jets are the only team, perhaps in the history of the nfl, that won't announce starters for preseason games.  

Actually I was referring  to "pretty stupid" as being a part of Bowles M O

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I want to ask a question of our fan base  . Did anything happen say over the last few weeks that might have cause the jets to re-examine their plans for the upcoming season ?  The Jets suddenly went from spreading reps between 3 QBs to giving them to 2 QBs .  All that needed to be done was give the reps that Petty were getting to McCown and vise-versa . 

IMO that is the way it should have gone from the beginning.  

What has happened is Mccown,  for the greater part of camp,  was the only one getting ANY REPS with the 1's, then out of the blue, he gets 0.   Have never seen that before.  

Only conclusions I can draw is that something has changed behind the scenes that we have no knowledge of, or Bowles doesn't have a clue what he's doing............Or both

Just now, varjet said:

I think they are very sensitive to the media.  

By keeping the QBs mysterious, the Giants don't know who to prepare for.    that makes whatever QB plays look better.

Is there a rule against that?

No rule, but if you think a team is game planning against its opponents in preseason your foolish, they are game planning to evaluate their own players that's it.

25 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO that is the way it should have gone from the beginning.  

What has happened is Mccown,  for the greater part of camp,  was the only one getting ANY REPS with the 1's, then out of the blue, he gets 0.   Have never seen that before.  

Only conclusions I can draw is that something has changed behind the scenes that we have no knowledge of, or Bowles doesn't have a clue what he's doing............Or both

Well 2 things have happened recently . The 1st and most important is that a new Johnson is running the day to day operations of the Jets .  That means Mac and Bowles have to report to someone new  .  The 2nd thing is Buffalo traded away 2 of their better players, 1 on offense and 1 on defense for draft picks that would allow them to move around the 2018 draft board at will . 

Ask yourselves these questions .

Who gives the Jets a better chance to win a few games in 2017, McCown, Petty or Hackenberg  ?   Now who's not getting any reps and when did this start .  Why is the player considered by fans and media the worst of the 3 QBs  getting the most reps in the week leading up to the game which most teams use to prep for the regular season  ?

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Well 2 things have happened recently . The 1st and most important is that a new Johnson is running the day to day operations of the Jets .  That means Mac and Bowles have to report to someone new  .  The 2nd thing is Buffalo traded away 2 of their better players, 1 on offense and 1 on defense for draft picks that would allow them to move around the 2018 draft board at will . 

Who gives the Jets a better chance to win a few games in 2017, McCown, Petty or Hackenberg  ?   Now who's not getting any reps and when did this start .  Why is the player considered by fans and media the worst of the 3 QBs  getting the most reps in the week leading up to the game which most teams use to prep for the regular season  ?

You are Pegula.  You are an active and involved owner.  You have a downstate rival that you play 2x a year.  

Do you want that rival to have Sam Darnold for the next 10-15 years, after playing Brady for the last 16 and counting?  Have the Bills been to the playoffs since Brady was unveiled?

The Bills are unloading players for future draft picks.  The Jets are unloading players for cap space.

I just find it odd...yes McCown is well travelled but he still needs to build chemistry with his offense. 3rd game in preseason is to see how the chemistry is with the starters. That's not happening with the jets is McCown is the starter behind closed doors. In fact he has lost a whole week of it. Say what you will about him being plug and play and how well he did that drive, he still needs to get game time with the 1's. I think something interesting is developing.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

You are Pegula.  You are an active and involved owner.  You have a downstate rival that you play 2x a year.  

Do you want that rival to have Sam Darnold for the next 10-15 years, after playing Brady for the last 16 and counting?  Have the Bills been to the playoffs since Brady was unveiled?

The Bills are unloading players for future draft picks.  The Jets are unloading players for cap space.

The Bills have players folks want, while the Jets had players not even we wanted . Short of trading away Williams, what else do the Jets have that would interest anyone  ?   

22 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

IMO the fact that Woody is a phone call away with his  lil brother the on scene Johnson, has almost no bearing on who is the QB.

If they are letting the Bills dictate who their starting QB is because of a Bills trade the team is in hopeless shape.

Ask yourself this.  When has a team released two of it's core players, and the HC had no knowledge it had happened?  That is not a HC who is on equal footing with the GM

39 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

To this point AFJF, who has seen a good deal of the practices seems to think that Petty has been the best QB in camp.  I don't see your point

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

To this point AFJF, who has seen a good deal of the practices seems to think that Petty has been the best QB in camp.  I don't see your point

Yu wouldn't . Certain things blind people to other alternatives .  

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Don't you think it would be pretty stupid evening out the reps in a QB competition after the competition has been decided? 

Actually I guess that kind of fits TB's M O

What's stupid is the QB competition, itself, or the farce they are calling a QB competition.  If it was real competition Petty would have gotten a lot more 1st team reps than he did and McClown would have by default won it a long time ago.  They are trying to give Hack the job behind the guise of a QB competition.  It's what most of us fans want to happen anyway but the won't come out an say it.  Just like they won't admit they tanked the season.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Not at all.  Playing Mccown with the 1s and giving him most of the first team reps is bowles' MO, that's what he did with fitz.  It's pretty interesting how quickly everything changed, and now the jets are the only team, perhaps in the history of the nfl, that won't announce starters for preseason games.  

Does this really matter? 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Honestly, I think McCown has the job. They want Hack to get as many reps as he can while he can. Hack is not quite there yet. But if McCown falters early, the Jets will not hesitate to put Hack in. 

As far a McCown losing reps before having to start, I don;t see that as a major issue for him- a well traveled veteran who showed in his only pre-season game that he has remained pretty sharp.  

Bingo! He's a 15 yr vet.  He knows and has played in this offense. Has been coached by Bates before.  He was taking a majority of the "1st team" reps in OTAs, minis & early in TC (enough so people i.e. Cimini were questioning if there was a true competition)..

If he's named the starter next week (my guess) he'll still have two weeks to practice w/the 1's...

The past two weeks are allowing Hack & Petty to get more reps and show where they are so if/when the time comes when one or both need to play come reg season, the CS has a better idea what they can and can't do and what they need to work on/develop in the interim..

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think they are very sensitive to the media.  

By keeping the QBs mysterious, the Giants don't know who to prepare for.    that makes whatever QB plays look better.

Is there a rule against that?

You really think they care?

20 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO the fact that Woody is a phone call away with his  lil brother the on scene Johnson, has almost no bearing on who is the QB.

If they are letting the Bills dictate who their starting QB is because of a Bills trade the team is in hopeless shape.

Ask yourself this.  When has a team released two of it's core players, and the HC had no knowledge it had happened?  That is not a HC who is on equal footing with the GM

The Jets are not the only team whose HC and GM report to the owner equally .  Are you going to chew on that bone all season ?

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It's just unusual to see a competition whee for the 1st half of camp one guy gets all the reps and the 2nd half of camp he gets 0 reps

This probably gives some validity to a potential disconnect between HC & GM.  It's the only explanation for the drastic turn around.  We can all agree it wasn't because McCown was messing up protections and throwing balls in the dirt.  And it wasn't because Hack used the 13 or so drives to move the Jets up and down the field putting up tons of points.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

This probably gives some validity to a potential disconnect between HC & GM.  It's the only explanation for the drastic turn around.  We can all agree it wasn't because McCown was messing up protections and throwing balls in the dirt.  And it wasn't because Hack used the 13 or so drives to move the Jets up and down the field putting up tons of points.

It could be because McCown knew the offense better than any other player on O and the CS wanted the early practices to be productive. Now that Hack & Petty are more familiar w/it the CS wants to give them more reps.

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

It could be because McCown knew the offense better than any other player on O and the CS wanted the early practices to be productive. Now that Hack & Petty are more familiar w/it the CS wants to give them more reps.

There is no explanation as to why he would get every rep with the first team and CLEARLY out play Hack in both practice and in the four snaps he had in game 1, to suddenly not play at all in a preason game and then get no reps in practice.

This week is about getting the presumed starter ready for week 1.  If a decision was made that Hack is going to be the starter,

A: he did not earn the job,and more importantly,

B: the decision was not made by Bowles.  This is based on Bowles history with the team.  Look at our corners we've trotted out there the last 32 games.

So if McCown has been declared the starting QB by some of you we get to see for 3 years in a row the worst QB in the NFL lead our team a QB who wouldn't be in the NFL it wasn't for the NY Jets. 

Its going to be a long season I'm so glad  I'm not paying to watch this sh*t show in person anymore. 

When you think things couldn't get any worse they do. 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Whomever gets the start against the Giants defense will likely look bad. But I guess if you are trying to prepare these kids there is no other way than to throw them out there as much as possible. Personally, I don't care who starts Saturday, I just want Hack and Petty to both get a chance with the 1st team against the Giants 1st team. It's the only fair way to compare them. 

In week 1, Hack looked better than Petty when they both played backups. In week 2, Hack faced the Lions starters and was brutal and Petty looked good but that was against the scrubs. So while some wanted to praise Petty, it was not a fair competition. 

If i was coaching, I would start Hack again. Give him the 1st quarter to show something. If he is lights out (unlikely) keep him in, if he is bad/average, bring in Petty to see what he can do under similar circumstances. 

Amazing, we have 6 zillion first round picks on our D but we need to fear the Giants D.

unreal

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So if McCown has been declared the starting QB by some of you we get to see for 3 years in a row the worst QB in the NFL lead our team a QB who wouldn't be in the NFL it wasn't for the NY Jets. 

Its going to be a long season I'm so glad  I'm not paying to watch this sh*t show in person anymore. 

When you think things couldn't get any worse they do. 

You could easily say the same if they name Hack the starter.  But I do agree with what you are saying.  McCown scares me because of his experience he could steal a win or two and thus risk us going through what is going to be, unquestionably the worst season in team history for nothing.

With Hack, I feel pretty confident we won't be functional at all, thus guaranteeing us the #1 pick.

I think they're just giving Hack and Petty a bunch or reps for one last major evaluation before deciding on a starter. It wont surprise me if they get all the first team reps on Saturday. 

They're probably leaning towards going with McCown for week 1 but want to give the younger guys a clear opportunity against starters as well as some experience in general. They're just looking for an excuse to start one of them. 

15 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I think they're just giving Hack and Petty a bunch or reps for one last major evaluation before deciding on a starter. It wont surprise me if they get all the first team reps on Saturday. 

They're probably leaning towards going with McCown for week 1 but want to give the younger guys a clear opportunity against starters as well as some experience in general. They're just looking for an excuse to start one of them. 

Starting McCown is one of the worst decisions ever in the history of the NY Jets.  Aren't we rebuilding/tanking?  A 38 year old bum QB....here we go again.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Starting McCown is one of the worst decision ever in the history of the NY Jets.  Aren't we rebuilding/tanking?  

The team is rebuilding, yes. All things equal one of the two younger QB's should be out there for better or worse as long as they have a pulse when up against starting caliber players. 

If they look inept through and through and show no value on the field whatsoever it would probably be a disservice to the other young developing parts of the team to not start the veteran McCown while they get sorted out. And while this second scenario is less than ideal for a number of reasons we at least have a more sure answer as whether or not one of those two can be OUR answer.

They have to consider quite a bit and I think they're just making good and sure if Hack or Petty can do this job right now. 

I am constantly amazed at people's instinctual reaction to situations. I understand when children react, but as your situations constantly regress they rarely look back to understand what went wrong.

Usually they think bad luck, chance or outside forces conspired against them, when what they lacked was perspective, forethought, or a plan. Most times they react without even establishing an objective, or even knowing what success might look like. 

Now sit back and see the forest. Decide what the Jets might like to accomplish this year, and what position that might leave the franchise in for the future. Put scepticism aside and imagine the Jets winning 10 games with McKnown. Maybe they lose the wildcard game. Now they are out of the running for a top QB next year and they cannot start Hack or Petty. Thay must sign McNoone to a multiyear deal. That sets us back years.

More likely looking at the schedule we could easily win 3, or 4 games out of the first 5. Imagine starting 4-1 building up hope and hype then win maybe 2, or 3 more the rest of the year. The peasants now revolt and the plan to rebuild is thrown out the window and the entire staff needs to be fired besides losing out on any QB prospects next year. 

This can be a lesson for any situation in life from an argument with your wife to protesters or college students trying to decide on a career and anyone in between. First you decide what you want your end game to look like, then you figure out the best possible way to reach that goal step by step. For instance you need to realize that winning an argument with your wife has no real life benefits. Killing cops and burning buildings does absolutely nothing to better the lives of your community, and marching around in hoods carrying rifles is not going to make anyone sympathetic to your cause. 

At the very least consider your actions and follow the most likely chain of events to their conclusion and see what the most likely outcome will be. Then sleep on it and see how you feel in the morning.

Always act. Never react

Starting Hack or Petty lead to the much better outcomes. That's really not debatable. I believe that someone in Jetland finally saw the forest through the trees and put the fear of God into Bowles. If one of the two young guys become a revelation then that's great. If they crash and burn then start the other or switch to Mc after the easy start when he probably won't win any games anyway. This is the smart play, and the only smart play. 

5 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

The team is rebuilding, yes. All things equal one of the two younger QB's should be out there for better or worse as long as they have a pulse when up against starting caliber players. 

If they look inept through and through and show no value on the field whatsoever it would probably be a disservice to the other young developing parts of the team to not start the veteran McCown while they get sorted out. And while this second scenario is less than ideal for a number of reasons we at least have a more sure answer as whether or not one of those two can be OUR answer.

They have to consider quite a bit and I think they're just making good and sure if Hack or Petty can do this job right now. 

Why did they pass on Watson,Kizer,Mahomes in the draft if all along we needed a QB...

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why did they pass on Watson,Kizer,Mahomes in the draft if all along we needed a QB...

The only logical answer is that Mac either wants one of our QBs to emerge, or he wants one of next year's QBs over any of those three. 

Following that logic then McKnown winning 3 or 4 of the first 5 games would be the last thing in the world that we would want to see happen. 

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Starting McCown is one of the worst decisions ever in the history of the NY Jets.  Aren't we rebuilding/tanking?  A 38 year old bum QB....here we go again.

Hackenberg was completely non-functional vs Detroit. If he cannot even get a first down  he shouldn't start.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They drafted Adams because he was the best player available.

They took the measured route and made a safe and obvious pick with the higher valued prospect. 

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

What's stupid is the QB competition, itself, or the farce they are calling a QB competition.  If it was real competition Petty would have gotten a lot more 1st team reps than he did and McClown would have by default won it a long time ago.  They are trying to give Hack the job behind the guise of a QB competition.  It's what most of us fans want to happen anyway but the won't come out an say it.  Just like they won't admit they tanked the season.

I'm not sure there is a "they" anymore.  I'm getting a feeling that Mac and Bowles aren't on the same page as to who they want.  If I had to guess I'm thinking Macc wants to see if Hack can play, Bowles wants to march McCown out there to try and win 6 games.

Archived