What's REALLY so infuriating about Hemerdinger

Sperm Edwards

Fool me once it's your fault. Fool me twice it's my fault.

See, the problem with this situation is that this is the second time that a team is in collusion with one of our coaches to get him out of his contract. EVERYONE knows where he's going if/when the Jets let him go. You telling me he's had NO discussions with his buddy Shanahan about it? It's about as likely as Carl Peterson having NEVER said anything to Herm before that whole situation went down. If the Denver OC wasn't about to be vacant & there were no other positions available to him, I doubt Dinger would be whining so loudly, or at all.

No one interviewed him for a HC job except us as best I can remember. I don't doubt that he feels humbled. That he was the VERY sought-after guy 1 year ago & was the big man on campus. Now he feels slighted b/c a guy with 1 yr coordinator experience got the job over him & a just-fired meathead would've also. And they're going to make him a co-coordinator. So now he's JAG on this staff. He's insulted. Well too f'in bad. You're well paid.

This business over "I came to work for Herman Edwards" is nonsense. He came here b/c it was a lot of money & throw in the chance that he saw Edwards as an inferior HC who would be fired before his OC contract was up, making him the de facto choice for HC.

And the "if they didn't want me as HC so why do they want me as OC" is horsesh*t as well. As though every coordinator in the league somehow "deserves" to be the HC or that it's the unwritten rule that they become the HC, or let go only if he wants to be let go, if the then-HC is gone.

But the bigger point is that there is OBVIOUSLY an agreement with him & Denver that he'd take over the OC duties after Kubiak is gone to Houston. And we are not allowed to get compensation from Denver. The league set this up to prevent teams from stealing other teams' coaches for draft picks. Now the effective end result is they're going to steal our coach for NO compensation. So what is Tagliabue going to do about it? Probably nothing. Like he did nothing about the obvious shady crap that went down with Herm.

So what's the solution?

Fire Bradway & Cross, since firing Woody is not feasable. We took it up the ass already & are not complaining when another team comes around for sloppy seconds. Either or both of them should be raising hell with the league right now & neither is. Getting their OWN sound bites in the papers like Herm did. That is what puts pressure on the league to do something. Media pressure. When there's hints of corruption & showing favoritism toward a team, the league backs down VERY fast, like they did with the refs from this past weekend. They didn't even fine Joey Porter for saying the fix was in for Indy b/c the situation was so bad.

But sadly we'll do nothing. Not even get cash from Denver so we can over-spend on another OC. In the end we'll let Heimerdinger go b/c his personal desires are polar opposites to the team-first attitude Mangini is trying to install. And we'll move on. But it really stinks.

I could be wrong with this, correct me if I am. You can no longer get compensation for assistants. But, I think if the two parties involved can work something out on their own, then the league has no say in it.

If this is true, then if the guy wants out, let us work a deal with Denver...maybe we can even get a better pick then we got for Spermy.

He doesn't want to be here, and didn;t impress me in a tough situation last year.....so I say "Let him go".

Thei is the beginning of a new era....and if this era is goingto succeed, we need to avoid obvious potential potholes, like a bitter O-Co who hates the Org and teh Head Coach, for whatever reason. Dinger simply wasn't good enough to force-keep him if he wants out now.

Let him go. Start fresh on O, D and the Head Spot. Keeping Westhoff is okay though, as long as he wants to stay. If we can work some comp for Dinger to Dever, great. If not, just let him go and move on. It's the best choice for long term success,

He doesn't want to be here, and didn;t impress me in a tough situation last year.....so I say "Let him go".

Thei is the beginning of a new era....and if this era is goingto succeed, we need to avoid obvious potential potholes, like a bitter O-Co who hates the Org and teh Head Coach, for whatever reason. Dinger simply wasn't good enough to force-keep him if he wants out now.

Let him go. Start fresh on O, D and the Head Spot. Keeping Westhoff is okay though, as long as he wants to stay. If we can work some comp for Dinger to Dever, great. If not, just let him go and move on. It's the best choice for long term success,

this would be fine, but i fear its a money issue with Bradway/Woody.

this would be fine, but i fear its a money issue with Bradway/Woody.

That is a very valid fear. As fans, we have to hope our Org/Owner isn't so cheap as to sacrifice our teams potential future, right at the start of a new era, over a few spare million.

That is a very valid fear. As fans, we have to hope our Org/Owner isn't so cheap as to sacrifice our teams potential future, right at the start of a new era, over a few spare million.

yup, as John Madden brilliantly put it years ago when talking about how owners can build a great team quickly:

"There is no salary cap for coaches"

so as you say, it works both ways, you have to spend to get great coaches and sometimes you have to spend to make a bad situation better coach-wise.

yup, as John Madden brilliantly put it years ago when talking about how owners can build a great team quickly:

"There is no salary cap for coaches"

so as you say, it works both ways, you have to spend to get great coaches and sometimes you have to spend to make a bad situation better coach-wise.

Exactly. Dan Snyder, for all his "Fantasy Football Owner" flaws, has this aspect locked down hard.

He thinks Shottenheimer is the answer, a man who once said he'd never work for Snyder....he goes out and gets it done.

He thinks Spurrior is the answer.....a man who implied often he would never coach int he NFL.....but Snyder gets it done.

He thinks....finally.....that the return of Saint Joe is the answer, and he somehow gets it done, something no Skins fan I know thought was humanly possible.

And even better, he secures Gibbs a brilliant D-Co in Williams, and somehow gets this man to not take open HC spots.

And when weakness is seen in the "O", what do they do......well Sndyer goes out and pays what it takes to snag a offensive mind like Al Saunders.

Like Is aid, Snyder may have to much "Rotisserie League" in him, but he will NOT be denied, and he understand the fact that with Coaches and Support Staff...there is NO Salary Cap.

Compensation for ass't coaches is not allowed by the league.

The Jets are absolutely doing the right thing by turning the screws on Dinger. He's the most talented OC on the market and thankfully the NYJ already own his rights. there's no upside to letting him walk.

Compensation for a$$'t coaches is not allowed by the league.

The Jets are absolutely doing the right thing by turning the screws on Dinger. He's the most talented OC on the market and thankfully the NYJ already own his rights. there's no upside to letting him walk.

And what is the upside to keeping an obviously disgruntled coach looking to get out?

I'm not upset because this may be a rebuilding situation," he told the Newark Star-Ledger. "I'm upset because I came to work for Herman Edwards and I'm having to stay and work for someone not named Herman Edwards.

"Also, I'm upset because I interviewed for the [head] job and obviously I was third in the pecking order [behind Mangini and Mike Tice]. So, I wasn't good enough for the job and I still have to stay. I'm not happy with the situation."

Dinger at least come up with legitimate excuses before you and your agent start whining. First of all getting passed over for HC has nothing to do with your job as OC. Would you have been happier if we didn't interview you for HC? Seems no other team wanted to take the time to interview you. You are under contract for OC and getting paid big bucks for it. Stop your whining. If you want out, then quit.

Secondly, your comments about only coming here to work for Vermin are ridiculus and make you look foolish. You are upset because you wanted to work for Vermin and now he's gone? Be happy he's gone. How will it look to other teams looking to hire a HC to see you want to be associated with Vermin? Seems like all we have is a bunch of whiners here under Bradway.

I believe there is a huge downside to keeping him on. How does a HC get his players to buy into what he is selling if his OC doesn't buy into it? I can see forcing a player to play (his play on the field will dictate his future), but with coaches, it's more an old-boy network and reputation. Let him go. See yah. Bring in someone who wants the challenge.

i think by compensation he means buyout as waivin salary for buyout, we know there is no draft picks allowed.

To play a little devil's advo here - I'm Dinger and I'm sitting with flat out dickis for a QB, no line (which had better be a #1 priority to improve upon),

and nothing to mention in the TE position.

Dinger's strong years as an OC have come with a pair of solid TE's, a cannon armed QB, and the obvious line to support his 3-4 WR schemes.

We have none of the above and even with a good draft and some shrewd trading - next year is not going to have all that put together. Would you want to hang out?

To play a little devil's advo here - I'm Dinger and I'm sitting with flat out dickis for a QB, no line (which had better be a #1 priority to improve upon),

and nothing to mention in the TE position.

Dinger's strong years as an OC have come with a pair of solid TE's, a cannon armed QB, and the obvious line to support his 3-4 WR schemes.

We have none of the above and even with a good draft and some shrewd trading - next year is not going to have all that put together. Would you want to hang out?

Its all about him bein a HC.

Jets are rebuilding and he wont get a whiff for a few years till Jets are in palyoffs. OCs/DCs of winning teams are usually the sought after HCs.

With Broncs he knows they will be a playoff caliber team next years and the year after, SO he will get HC whiffs.

Jets are rebuilding and he wont get a whiff for a few years till Jets are in palyoffs.

Thats my point SJ - shy of a miracle, we're maybe a playoff team in 07 and a solid playoff team by 08. He's not likely to get real positive exposure here.

I believe there is a huge downside to keeping him on. How does a HC get his players to buy into what he is selling if his OC doesn't buy into it? I can see forcing a player to play (his play on the field will dictate his future), but with coaches, it's more an old-boy network and reputation. Let him go. See yah. Bring in someone who wants the challenge.

It's far too easy to say goodbye to a coach in a situation like this.

Gruden was faced with a similar situation involving Rod Marinelli. Herm wanted him badly, and was going to offer him the DC job, only to have Chucky turn around and give him a big F'u.

Marinelli, by all accounts, was pissed but had no other recourse. He stayed, and did his job well.

The Jets should show some seeds here and keep Heimerdinger. F Denver. Why should they be let off the hook? Sure the Jets run the risk of having a sour, idsallusioned Asst, but you have to trust that he'll do his job. If he doesn't, it hurts the team, but it hurts him far worse. His professionalism and reputation are at stake. He cannot afford to do a ho hum job, or sabotage things. Marinelli sucked it up and stayed for what, two years before getting his break, and look at how it paid off.

Show some stones, boys.

when there if the will, there is a way! NEVER SAY NEVER!

And what is the upside to keeping an obviously disgruntled coach looking to get out?

as long as Chad is the highest paid QB on the roster the Jets are still a WCO team. Who better to run a WCO than one of the original WCO gurus?

further upside - they don't have to change jargon/system for the 2nd time in 3 years

Either way we need an OC - there is no risk that Dinger will tank his effort out of spite - he needs to remain professional to have any hope of landing a HC job in the future.

There is recent precident here - Gruden prevented Marinelli from leaving TB to be our coordinator and after a couple of years of quiet loyalty doing his job he got his HC chance now he's in charge of the Lions.

League spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday that draft picks can be used to acquire a head coach or a high-ranking club executive (such as G.M. or the equivalent). Draft choices cannot be used, per Aiello, to acquire coordinators, position coaches, or executives below the level of president or G.M.

NOTHING precludes the use of money or a player being used to pry away DINGER. Just NOT a draft pick!

League spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday that draft picks can be used to acquire a head coach or a high-ranking club executive (such as G.M. or the equivalent). Draft choices cannot be used, per Aiello, to acquire coordinators, position coaches, or executives below the level of president or G.M.

NOTHING precludes the use of money or a player being used to pry away DINGER. Just NOT a draft pick!

They should just promote Dinger to President and then trade him to the Broncos.

There aren't any Jets games between now and SUnday when Denver figures to get eliminated, or even until well after 2/6/06, when the Broncos will certainly be done. Let's see how it plays out. Cannot fault the Jets and Bradway a bit until we see what happens after Kubiak moves to the Texans and Shanahan wants a new OC. And pardon me if I'm not all broken up over a coach being held to a multimillion dollar, multi-year contract. Think the problem is radio guys and newspaper reporters are annoyed by this thing stringing out like this at a time of year when they'd generally be going to a warm place for the Super Bowl. DAMN you, Detroit!

They should just promote Dinger to President and then trade him to the Broncos.

Not that dumb at all. Then trade him for a pick. When asked what his new responsibilities will be as President, just tell him the same as the last president once the Giants deal was finished: absolutely nothing.

Archived