07' Free Agents worth a look... or two

ECURB

Updated 12/21/06

If any of these guys have re-signed let me know, Ill edit the list... I will also add any good names people can think of...

RB's

Michael Turner, RFA, San Diego Chargers

Ahman Green, UFA, Green Bay Packers (he was good can he still be?)

TE/WR

Daniel Graham, UFA, New England Patriots

Drew Bennett, UFA, Tennessee Titans

Mike Furrey (Det) UFA

Kevin Curtis (StL) UFA

TE -Eric Johnson (SF) UFA

OL

Leonard Davis UFA Arizona Cardinals

Kris Dielman (SD) UFA

Eric Steinbach (Cin) UFA

Derrick Dockery (Was) UFA

Vince Manuwai (Jax) UFA

DL

Dwight Freeney, UFA, Indianapolis Colts

Terdell Sands UFA Oakland Raiders

LB

Lance Briggs, UFA, Chicago Bears

OLB – Shaun Philips (SD) RFA

DB

Nate Clements, UFA, Buffalo Bills

Asante Samuel UFA New England Patriots

Michael Lewis, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles (with Kerry Rhodes... wow)

Deon Grant (Jax) UFA

Ken Hamlin (Sea) UFA

Those are the guys I think we should look into

Dwight Freeney sucks this year. Let him go elsewhere, he reminds me too much of Abe.

Dont insult a healthy player with a comment like that!!!

He has only missed one game in 5 years!!!

He is averaging over 11 sacks a year!!

Has 5.5 this year with only 2 games to go but it would be the 1st season without hitting at least 10....

He is worth a SERIOUS look

Has 5.5 this year with only 2 games to go but it would be the 1st season without hitting at least 10....

not for the price it will take

last night during the game they were saying how Freeney was complaining about the QBs playing "in a bubble" this year-you can't even hit them and that the league should have "in the grasp" again

The same Freeney who gets burned by screen passes, draws and delays?

Freeney is a one-trick pony.

(Add to the above list)

UFA:

WR - Mike Furrey (Det), Kevin Curtis (StL) - we only need a #3 WR anyway, and that's only if Brad Smith still isn't ready. These two will probably be pricier than a #3 WR should be.

TE -Eric Johnson (SF)

OG – Kris Dielman (SD), Eric Steinbach (Cin), Derrick Dockery (Was), Vince Manuwai (Jax)

S – Deon Grant (Jax), Ken Hamlin (Sea)

RFA:

OLB – Shaun Philips (SD)

(Add to the above list)

UFA:

WR - Mike Furrey (Det), Kevin Curtis (StL) - we only need a #3 WR anyway, and that's only if Brad Smith still isn't ready. These two will probably be pricier than a #3 WR should be.

TE -Eric Johnson (SF)

OG

i would assume Leonard Davis is going to be too pricey, but we do need a guard, any one in particular you think is a good fit sperm?

These 4 are all big dudes who start for teams that have little to no trouble running the ball even with their backup HB's. I wouldn't even mind dumping Kendall & his 6'5"/284-lb frame playing next to another tall/skinny OLman in D'Brick. We're not a zone-blocking team, so I'd rather have maulers at guard. Schott should know Dielman from SD but they've got plenty of cap-room as always & who wouldn't want to block for the best RB in the NFL?

Any one or two of those guys would be fine. Agree on Leonard Davis; someone will ante up big for him. He's not so much sucky as he is a let-down from what he was expected to be. I'm sure he'd still be an enormous upgrade from Clement. But if he's going to command a bigger contract than McKenzie got, then forget it we'll draft one.

Yeah, Dwight Freeney, the definition of a one-dimensional pass rushing end, is worth a look for a 3-4 team.

I do not mean this as a personal attack, but saying we should SERIOUSLY look at a guy like Freeney shows a lack of understanding in the game of football. Or at least, the scheme the Jets are running. Freeney would be a complete bust with the Jets and a total waste of money. Thankfully, he won't even be on our radar. No way, no how.

You also omitted Adalius Thomas, a free agent LB from the Ravens that has already excelled in the 3-4. He is the best player on that defense and should be priority #1 for the Jets.

For those 11 sacks a year he gives the Colts he gives away a hell of a lot more yardage when he over pursues on running plays.

Above we have 2 guys arguing over Dwight Freeney. Why? Unless we are switching back into the 4-3 you can't even begin to consider Freeney. Exactly where would he fit in into the 3-4 defense? No way would he be an efficient OLB.

Spermy, I would LOVE to raid the Chargers' roster ala signing Michael Turner & Shaun Phillips. Unfortunately the amount of picks we'd be giving up to get both just would not make sense but I do believe we should pursue one of them. I had no idea bout Phillips being an RFA. He's about the only guy that I'd bench Victor Hobson for at OLB in the 07 free agent class.

Above we have 2 guys arguing over Dwight Freeney. Why? Unless we are switching back into the 4-3 you can't even begin to consider Freeney. Exactly where would he fit in into the 3-4 defense? No way would he be an efficient OLB.

Spermy, I would LOVE to raid the Chargers' roster ala signing Michael Turner & Shaun Phillips. Unfortunately the amount of picks we'd be giving up to get both just would not make sense but I do believe we should pursue one of them. I had no idea bout Phillips being an RFA. He's about the only guy that I'd bench Victor Hobson for at OLB in the 07 free agent class.

My guess is that SD will lock him up. Even if they tender him for a 1st & a 3rd, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We could still trade Vilma & get the pick(s) back & move Hobson inside. It would be a wet dream to end up with a player who turns into Shaun Phillips, so why not just go get him if he's available? So adding in a third rounder is nothing compared to a sure-thing, ready-now stud who already plays OLB in the 3-4. Plus he's a LOT younger than Adalius Thomas.

My only aprehension with Thomas is that he'll be 30 next season & he may start losing speed soon. When he loses a step it could make the difference between him getting 9-10 sacks or 3-4 sacks. If/when it's the latter we won't think as much of him. Ultimately, if he's putting enough pressure on the QB so they don't convert the first down that's all that matters. Causing fumbles in the process aside, whether or not it's registered as a "sack" is just a nice stat but all you want is to make them punt.

Yeah, Dwight Freeney, the definition of a one-dimensional pass rushing end, is worth a look for a 3-4 team.

I do not mean this as a personal attack, but saying we should SERIOUSLY look at a guy like Freeney shows a lack of understanding in the game of football. Or at least, the scheme the Jets are running. Freeney would be a complete bust with the Jets and a total waste of money. Thankfully, he won't even be on our radar. No way, no how.

You also omitted Adalius Thomas, a free agent LB from the Ravens that has already excelled in the 3-4. He is the best player on that defense and should be priority #1 for the Jets.

Great post.

Freeney isn't even in the realm of fantasy.

I think Thomas has more points this year than Tiki Barber. He is having a very good year and wouldn't be cheap.

Who are these people that call it free agency? There is nothing free about it!

seinfeld_jerry_240x260_082020041501.jpg

Chicago would be crazy not to extend Lance Briggs' contract, but that is the player I want most. I think this guy is probably the most overlooked linebacker in the league and he is a BEAST.

They tried to give him big money in the offseason but he didn't accept the deal. Thinking is he is tired of being in Brian Urlacher's shadow and wants to make a bigger name for himself elsewhere (ala Rosevelt Colvin).

In our system right now, I would have to go with Lance Briggs this guy is a monster and is always around the ball.This guy is a playmaker on D and he knows where everyone should be on the field at all times.Plus I think he is a mangini's kind of guy.

Do you think Briggs would fit in as a 3-4 OLB or a 3-4 ILB? That's the key question is if he would be able to play like he does now in the 4-3, in the 3-4.

His spin move is getting old and even D'Brick picked up on it in about 10 seconds.

BZ

His spin move is getting old and even D'Brick picked up on it in about 10 seconds.

BZ

You guys win... but he is like a healthy version of Abe and some people wanted to keep him around...

I want to focus on our DB's / RB / more than anything

You guys win... but he is like a healthy version of Abe and some people wanted to keep him around...

I want to focus on our DB's / RB / more than anything

DB is the strongest part of our D. I'd look for one cover corner. I see Barrett as a zone guy. It is 100% mandatory to bring in a starting DE. Preferably one younger than Marty Lyons. Isn't Marty Lyons younger than Hamilton and Kimo? We should be upgrading everywhere.

Freeney would give this team a pass rush on defense. But if we got him we'd have to go back to playing the 4-3 which would also make Robertson and Vilma better but who cares.

Freeney is a bigger liability against the run than Abraham.

He's also a better pass rusher than Abraham. Not to mention he's not even close to being as injury prone as Abe was with us.

Another guy we should take a look at is Robaire Smith. He's a space eater DE in a 3-4 or a DT in the 4-3 who could take the pressure off Robertson to always get a double team and he's not even 30 yet so he has about 3-4 good years left.

Without Peyton Manning, Indy would suck. All of Freeney's sacks would be worth little other than getting him into a pro bowl. I don't recall ever in my life seeing a pro team surrender 375 rushing yards in a game.

And that's all Dwight Freeney's fault? What about the 10 other starters on that defense? Where is Corey Simon this year? Anytime you lose a top run stuffer like Simon and have no one to replace him your run defense is going to suffer.

Archived