Adalius Thomas sounds off on the NFL

Gainzo

He makes some good points here. Man, is he pissed off!

FOXBOROUGH -- If the NFL wants more regular-season play from its players it's going to have to dole out more pay, said Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas, who made it clear today he is vehemently opposed to the idea of expanding the regular season.

The NFL is currently considering expanding the season to 17 or 18 games by converting either one or two of the current preseason games into a regular season contest or contests. The issue was discussed at the NFL's annual meeting last week in Dana Point, Calif., and the league is terming the idea as a restructuring of the current 20-game slate (16 regular-season and four preseason games).

It could be voted on as soon as next month's spring meetings.

"My idea of it is it [stinks,]," said Thomas, who also dismissed commissioner Roger Goodell's assertion that players are already getting paid for playing a 20-game season.

"No, we do not," said Thomas, who said Goodell wasn't being truthful. "...You get paid [in the] preseason totally different then you do regular-season."

Players receive 17 checks during the regular-season (including during the bye week), but are paid on a per diem basis during the preseason. All veteran players will make $1,225 per week during the preseason this year with an additional $200 for each of the four preseason games; rookies get $825 per week, according to the collective bargaining agreement and confirmed by the NFL Players Association.

"You're telling me that Tom Brady is going to play a regular-season game that would have been a preseason game for $1,200," said Thomas. "You got four preseason games that you're paying people, and you got a set salary from somebody that would make their normal salary. If you made $5 million that year, you're almost making a $1 million a month based off the football season, so instead of getting paid your regular check you're going to get paid [$1,225], and you're telling me I'm getting paid.

"No, don't even give me that. Your ticket price doesn't change for preseason, so why does your pay change for preseason. That doesn't make any sense to me saying we already get paid. No, [the league] gets paid [in] preseason."

Goodell was asked at the annual meeting if he expected push-back from the players because they don't play as much in the regular season as in the preseason.

"The fans also recognize that those players aren't playing in preseason games. That's why they're not attractive," said Goodell. "That's what they've come to expect. They want to see these players play. That's a key issue. As far as the medical issues, that's why we continue to do everything we can to make sure the game is safer for our players. We change the rules, make sure we're putting them in a position where the risk is at least minimized, make sure we can do everything to keep them healthy throughout the game and well beyond their years of playing the game."

He then went into compensation for an expanded season.

"As it relates to one other aspect of it, and I'll reinforce this point, which I have before, they are being paid for the preseason games," said the commissioner. "It's all part of our total gross revenue, and it's calculated up and they get a percentage of that. They might not get a check cut during that week, but that is how they're paid and those revenues are part of that. That's something that they have to understand, and I've said that to players directly and it's something we'll continue to reinforce it with them."

Thomas just wasn't buying that idea, and said that if the owners want players to play more regular-season games they're going to have to give something back in the CBA negotiations. The current CBA is set to expire following the 2010 season.

Goodell has said that an expanded season would be unlikely to take place until after 2010.

"You're telling me you're going to add a week, but you'll pay me like preseason; you're going to just stretch the payments over 18 weeks," said Thomas. "No, we're not doing that. You can mark me down on the injured list for two weeks. You can put that in your books. You've done lost your mind."

In a lengthy diatribe, Thomas, who spent four seasons in Baltimore as a player rep, also implored the owners to open their books to an independent audit and sounded off on the "Tom Brady" rule, the NFL's system for fining players, and the prohibition on alcohol being served at team functions.

"If you want to cry about money then open your books up to an independent audit to really show how much money you're making," said Thomas. "If you really want to cry about money open your books up put what you really make in the paper like you have put our salary in the paper every year so the fans can say, 'They're making this much money. Why aren't they doing this?'

"Why don't you do the same thing if that's the case. I'm sick of people talking about, crying about 'we need to make cuts here.' I mean that's your business, if that's how you want to run things that's fine. Going to an 18-game season for what? How about you give us two bye weeks, and then we make it like that. I'm just trying to figure out what's the purpose. At the end of the year when players go to playoffs it's like, look it's been a long season, so now you're going to say it's going to be a longer season. I don't understand that."

The "Brady rule," is actually an addendum to the existing low hits on quarterbacks rule that the NFL's competition committee recently passed. It outlaws a prone defensive player who hasn't been blocked to the ground or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at the lower leg of a quarterback, as Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard did to Brady in the 2008 season-opener, leading to a season-ending left knee injury for the QB.

"Give him some pom-poms and put him in a skirt," said Thomas of the general additional protection for quarterbacks. "My thing is this, there is nobody's knee out there that is more important than the next person's knee. That person's knee is as important to him as the next person's knee is important to them. I don't know all the rule changes, so I can't really comment wholeheartedly on this. I don't know the real logistics of this new rule of you can't lunge at someone. ...Sooner or later it's going to be two-hand touch with all the rules. The guys are getting bigger and faster, and there are things that are unfortunate, but it's hard to tell somebody or practice...I mean, it's get the guy with the ball. You've always been taught that. I'm definitely for protecting the players. I definitely see some of the rules that could be justified or not justified."

Thomas also railed against the NFL's system of fining players, pointing to a $7,500 horse-collar fine he drew last year in the preseason for an attempted tackle of Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

"The fine system has to be fixed," said Thomas. "It's like you getting a speeding ticket and going to jail for life. There is no ground work for anything. The first time you get roughing the passer it's this. The second time you get this it's this. ...I feel that any call that deals with a questionable call as far as a hit I don't feel that the appeals committee should be able to watch that play more than once because that player couldn't play that play more than once at full-speed."

The loquacious linebacker also pointed out the apparent hypocrisy of the NFL not wanting players to be associated with alcohol and banning it from team functions, but allowing NFL footage to be used in beer commercials.

"You can't drink and drive is what we're trying to promote, but you can sell beer at the game," said Thomas. "How the [heck] do you think the people got to the game? You can't make a beer commercial because it's unethical, but everybody that retires is in a Coors Light commercial at the podium, and it's the official beer of the NFL. Just say you don't want us to make a beer commercial because we want to take all the money from the beer companies."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/04/adalius_thomas_1.html

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped reading it... he is a moron... it does not matter how the money is spread out...

If Tom Brady makes 15 million in 09'... he makes 15 million no matter how the games are arranged...

He is trying to make it sound as if players will get paid less by switching a couple pre-season games to regular season games... they wont... he is an idiot.

I stopped reading it... he is a moron... it does not matter how the money is spread out...

If Tom Brady makes 15 million in 09'... he makes 15 million no matter how the games are arranged...

He is trying to make it sound as if players will get paid less by switching a couple pre-season games to regular season games... they wont... he is an idiot.

It's not that they're going to get paid less. It's that they're not getting paid more.

Agreed. I really feel sorry for his poor pay rate. :roll:

Two meaningless games in which starters hardly play now become important and require full participation. You don't see how that makes a difference at the same pay?

Contracts were negotiated based on a 16 game regular season.

Two meaningless games in which starters hardly play now become important and require full participation. You don't see how that makes a difference at the same pay?

+100

But football players make lots of money. Surely that entitles the league to unilaterally adjust the terms of hundreds of existing contracts. No?

He makes good points IMHO. They are expanding the regular season but not expanding the payouts they are receiving. Yes, they are multi millionaires but they are putting their bodies at risk everyday. The owners want to have their cake and eat it too if some of the benefits of expanding the season don't also filter down to the players. Frankly, the owners have been having their cake and eating it too for years with their charging regular season prices to the fans to watch preseason games.

Oh and lest I forget, I also liked how he blasted the "Tom Brady" rule. He's absolutely right in that a knee injury to one player should not be more important than a knee injury to another player. Its a physical game and you need consistency (make the same rules for everybody or make the rules for nobody). However, I think his comments will piss off his piggie owner ;)

So should the owners be able to raise performance clauses in contracts too?

Say you needed 1200 yards to get a bonus this year... if they extend it should you need 1500 yards?

I think we can all agree that the players get pretty much screwed over by the owners. A player can be cut at anytime. This isn't the NBA or MLB with guaranteed contracts.

The owners also screw over the fans. I will be giving Bob Kraft $1014 for the privilege of not attending the 2 preseason games this year.

I think we can all agree that the players get pretty much screwed over by the owners. A player can be cut at anytime. This isn't the NBA or MLB with guaranteed contracts.

The owners also screw over the fans. I will be giving Bob Kraft $1014 for the privilege of not attending the 2 preseason games this year.

I'll tell you what...

It is going to be very very interesting when the CBA comes up.

The NFL sits atop a gold mine right now. They just signed a billion dollar deal with Direct TV. (Yes billion). They make huge amounts of money with network TV and PSL's and everything.

If the owners can't get together with the players and hammer out a deal it is going to be very bad for NFL.

Can you imagine paying $300 bucks to watch scab football on Direct TV or even worse paying huge amounts of money in tickets to watch scab football ?

The NFL could be getting real close to killing the golden goose.

He makes good points IMHO. They are expanding the regular season but not expanding the payouts they are receiving. Yes, they are multi millionaires but they are putting their bodies at risk everyday. The owners want to have their cake and eat it too if some of the benefits of expanding the season don't also filter down to the players. Frankly, the owners have been having their cake and eating it too for years with their charging regular season prices to the fans to watch preseason games.

Oh and lest I forget, I also liked how he blasted the "Tom Brady" rule. He's absolutely right in that a knee injury to one player should not be more important than a knee injury to another player. Its a physical game and you need consistency (make the same rules for everybody or make the rules for nobody). However, I think his comments will piss off his piggie owner ;)

Maybe Thomas will get so frustrated at the Brady rule that he'll take it out on it's namesake in practice. :D

I'll tell you what...

It is going to be very very interesting when the CBA comes up.

The NFL sits atop a gold mine right now. They just signed a billion dollar deal with Direct TV. (Yes billion). They make huge amounts of money with network TV and PSL's and everything.

If the owners can't get together with the players and hammer out a deal it is going to be very bad for NFL.

Can you imagine paying $300 bucks to watch scab football on Direct TV or even worse paying huge amounts of money in tickets to watch scab football ?

The NFL could be getting real close to killing the golden goose.

2011 is going to be very interesting. When was the last work stoppage? Mid '80's right?

The owners bitch and moan about their debt levels but refuse to open their books for the NFLPA. I would love to see how much revenue Kraft generates every year.

2011 is going to be very interesting. When was the last work stoppage? Mid '80's right?

The owners bitch and moan about their debt levels but refuse to open their books for the NFLPA. I would love to see how much revenue Kraft generates every year.

Enough to eat expensive lobster sandwiches... lol

Enough to eat expensive lobster sandwiches... lol

Enough to build a frickin' mall around the Stadium. Not to mention the $40 to park across the street because of the damn mall.

Woody and the Mara's are going to be rolling in the dough in 2010 as well.

So I guess the moral of the story is the majority of posters here would love to work more yet get paid the same. Man there are some stupid mother f#ckers here.

We would love to see the pricing for sports in general to go down. Less payroll, cheaper concessions and tickets. If he got paid half of what he did a year he would still be filthy rich. There is a difference between real life and grown babies crying of arbitrary amounts of money.

Enough to build a frickin' mall around the Stadium. Not to mention the $40 to park across the street because of the damn mall.

Woody and the Mara's are going to be rolling in the dough in 2010 as well.

Living in America... the good... the bad... the ugly...

We would love to see the pricing for sports in general to go down. Less payroll, cheaper concessions and tickets. If he got paid half of what he did a year he would still be filthy rich. There is a difference between real life and grown babies crying of arbitrary amounts of money.

Certainly if the players took a paycut across the board, the owners would be benevolent enough topass that savings onto the fans, when stadiums are still sold out across the country...

It's all relative. If I were making that kind of money and then my boss tells me that he's going to make me work longer hours but pay me the same amount I'd be pissed right off. All that means is he's making more money from my work and I'm not seeing a dime from it.

It's all relative. If I were making that kind of money and then my boss tells me that he's going to make me work longer hours but pay me the same amount I'll be pissed right off. All that means is he's making more money from my work and I'm not seeing a dime from it.

yeah your only worry is if a garage door falls on your head while you are there

they only have to deal whether or not they will make it thru the game alive

or unparalyzed

Certainly if the players took a paycut across the board, the owners would be benevolent enough topass that savings onto the fans, when stadiums are still sold out across the country...

:lol: Exactly. The only way to stop it is for everyone to stop going to the games, buying the merchandise and paying for Sunday Ticket. Do we have any volunteers?

yeah your only worry is if a garage door falls on your head while you are there

they only have to deal whether or not they will make it thru the game alive

or unparalyzed

ummm........huh? Not sure you are getting what I was saying.

the real world..most of us do not get paid for OT

their job is a bit more risky and dangerous

Most? TONS of people get paid for overtime. I'm not one of them but I'd say more do than don't. At the end of the day, I think we're agreeing....maybe. Could someone verify that there are indeed snowballs floating in hell? Sackdance? Anyone?

Most? TONS of people get paid for overtime. I'm not one of them but I'd say more do than don't. At the end of the day, I think we're agreeing....maybe. Could someone verify that there are indeed snowballs floating in hell? Sackdance? Anyone?

The only person disagreeing with Adalius in this thread is Arsis. The rest of us understand where he is coming from with his comments.

The Commissioner is right, but so is Adalius.

Whatever the formula is that determines the salary cap, the gross revenue is factored into it already. This will be reflected in increases to the TV packages and I imagine Gainzo and others will see an increase in ticket prices. After all you now will get 9 real games and 1 fake game versus the 8 and 2. The players will see their money.

The players will need concessions because they can spin it (rightfully) that the extra impact from two more games will shorten their careers and more money will be needed. Whether it is in the player pension fund or some other allowance.

They need to start with rookie salaries irregardless.

He asked us what we wanted. I just told him.

So I guess the moral of the story is the majority of posters here would love to work more yet get paid the same. Man there are some stupid mother f#ckers here.

Yep, it's idiotic.

So, I'm paying you $100k salary a year working 5 days a week. You know what, I'm going to have you work 6 days a week and still pay you $100k. That makes perfect sense.

Archived