Is Dave Chappelle a comedy legend?

SenorGato

Chapelle is not a legend. He's a really funny guy who had potential to be great, but decided against it. Legends are remembered for generations. My kids will never know who the hell he was. Jackie Gleason, Buddy Hackett, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Carol Burnett, Rodney Dangerfield, Red Foxx--these are legends. Chris Rock has potential, if only he could cross over and do something beyond standup that isn't CB4.

First..I have NOT studied what happened to him when the show ended. I could be wrong. I know he walked out abruptly, but honestly who would want the pressure to be THAT funny every week?

Quality, funny material...even with a team of writers... is hard to create on a weekly basis. My feeling is that the first couple seasons were using brilliant ideas he'd had over the years that just didn't work for standup. Things like blind black Kla*smen and the "I want to pee on you" video come to mind -- very funny but wouldn't work in a club.

So after 5 or whatever years, the man was probably wiped out of fresh stuff...and he's smart enough to know it.

I think the show had a great run, and maybe every year or so he should do an hour-long 'special' on HBO or something. He should also remember to keep his chin up.

Chapelle is not a legend. He's a really funny guy who had potential to be great, but decided against it. Legends are remembered for generations. My kids will never know who the hell he was. Jackie Gleason, Buddy Hackett, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Carol Burnett, Rodney Dangerfield, Red Foxx--these are legends. Chris Rock has potential, if only he could cross over and do something beyond standup that isn't CB4.

I would have to disagree.

"I am Rick james B!tch!" will carry on forever.

His stand-up routine is great.

He has done movies and his show is iconic and pushed him over the top.

I say his show is, he is not. His show was 2 seasons of sheer brilliance that I can pop in any time and laugh my a$$ off. I say what makes a comedy legend is the staying power. He hasn't had that mainly due to whatever personal issues he has had. Had he not had them I'd be saying something differently now.

Valid point, but he's kinda you know. Dead. Chappelle chose not to perform for a while. I love the guy, truly think he's hysterical. Just wouldn't throw his name up in the legendary status, brilliant absolutely.

ah the old hall of great not hall of fame argument. Fair enough. Maybe Chappelle is the Joe Klecko of comedy. :)

ah the old hall of great not hall of fame argument. Fair enough. Maybe Chappelle is the Joe Klecko of comedy. :)

Hahah. A very good way to put it. Plus when it comes to this stuff it's all subjective isn't it? I think we can all agree that he is ridiculously funny, that is without a doubt. Comedy is subjective, some people think Kat Williams is funny. I think he's horrid.

so that means Sam Kennison was not a comedy legend?

Dying is the biggest career booster a celeb can have happen...even better than a sex tape. Kennison's comedy isn't even that funny to me.

Black White Supremecist might be the most brilliant piece of sketch comedy ever written. For that one alone he makes the HOF.

This is true...That skit set the bar for the show too because it was the first skit from the first episode.

I will say he's one of the top 10 influences on how I see the world. That makes him a HOF in my heart. *Audience groan*

Dying is the biggest career booster a celeb can have happen...even better than a sex tape. Kennison's comedy isn't even that funny to me.

This is true...That skit set the bar for the show too because it was the first skit from the first episode.

I will say he's one of the top 10 influences on how I see the world. That makes him a HOF in my heart. *Audience groan*

Does the woman getting whipped make your top 10 :lol:

Are you really bringing up Sanford and Son and saying guys need to crossover? Chappelle's show was a lot better than that. Dangerfield was a bonafide HOF legend for decades before he crossed over.

Are you really bringing up Sanford and Son and saying guys need to crossover? Chappelle's show was a lot better than that. Dangerfield was a bonafide HOF legend for decades before he crossed over.

Chappelle could have been a legend. However, he walked away from a show that brought tons of people a lot of crazy laughs once a week. He claimed it was some sort of protest against the racial overtones in the show. However, his comedy work and his show, which he co-wrote, were all soaked with racial humor. The racial humor was often not meant to be hurtful or offensive but merely playing on the typical stereotypes attributed for ALL races. If people took it personally, well, we each have our thresholds for what we perceive to be personal sleights. Anyway, that sudden departure and the lack of any sustainable follow-up will forever be on his mind as he could have really become legendary.

LL

P.S. His DVDs are priceless...those shows were a thrill to watch.

Chappelle could have been a legend. However, he walked away from a show that brought tons of people a lot of crazy laughs once a week. He claimed it was some sort of protest against the racial overtones in the show. However, his comedy work and his show, which he co-wrote, were all soaked with racial humor. The racial humor was often not meant to be hurtful or offensive but merely playing on the typical stereotypes attributed for ALL races. If people took it personally, well, we each have our thresholds for what we perceive to be personal sleights. Anyway, that sudden departure and the lack of any sustainable follow-up will forever be on his mind as he could have really become legendary.

LL

P.S. His DVDs are priceless...those shows were a thrill to watch.

How is burning out and walking away from a show any worse than overdosing, drinking oneself to death or commiting suicide? Plenty of that going around and I've never heard it brought up as a reason why guys aren't legends. His new bits make me laugh a hell of a lot more than thinking about tortured souls dying.

Chappelle's show was a lot better than that.

I don't think this emphasizes how good it was though. Chappelle's Show was the premier sketch comedy show of the 2000's. SNL still held some weight as the Ferrell/Quinn years were coming to a close, but the phenomenon that was Chappelle's Show had just a ridiculously huge impact. I was an undergrad for both seasons, and it was really unbelievable the amount of quotes you'd constantly be hearing on any given night in every setting. You'd be playing darts at the corner pub and hear out of the corner of your ear; "Correction, I had sex with Katie." Then the next morning you'd stumble into class and hear someone else throwing out "Yo Dave, gimme yo' sandwich." Everyone watched it, and I can't say the same for any sketch show from the past decade.

Not only that, but when Killin' 'Em Softly made the rounds, it was the same story. For anyone under the age of 30 or so, I just can't see how you wouldn't put him up along the all-time greats. You know exactly how big he was, and how influential his specials and shows were. If Dave Chappelle announced that a HBO special was coming out next week with new material, you'd watch it and memorize as many lines as you could off the first viewing so you could text them to your buddies as soon as it was over. If he was starting back up Chappelle's Show, you'd TiVO every episode and would be discussing with your friends how souped you were for its return. If he was starting a new show, you'd be watching. If you flipped through your TV right now, and the scene in Half Baked where he was dressed like the Jamaican dude was on, or singing the Samson song, you'd stop flicking through immediately and pause for at least that. If Killin' 'Em Softly or For What It's Worth was on, you'd not only stop to watch, but you'd hit the record button for your DVR as well. Who cares that he's spent so much time off the grid, I'd rather watch repeats of him than a new David Cross routine any day of the week. I don't know if anybody has ever completely deconstructed taboos better in the history of comedy. He is and will always be one of the all-time greats.

For comedians that have emerged in my lifetime, after Chris Rock, I really can't think of anyone else who had as big of an impact on American culture than Chappelle. You people are insane. And terrorists don't take black hostages.

I don't think this emphasizes how good it was though. Chappelle's Show was the premier sketch comedy show of the 2000's. SNL still held some weight as the Ferrell/Quinn years were coming to a close, but the phenomenon that was Chappelle's Show had just a ridiculously huge impact. I was an undergrad for both seasons, and it was really unbelievable the amount of quotes you'd constantly be hearing on any given night in every setting. You'd be playing darts at the corner pub and hear out of the corner of your ear; "Correction, I had sex with Katie." Then the next morning you'd stumble into class and hear someone else throwing out "Yo Dave, gimme yo' sandwich." Everyone watched it, and I can't say the same for any sketch show from the past decade.

Not only that, but when Killin' 'Em Softly made the rounds, it was the same story. For anyone under the age of 30 or so, I just can't see how you wouldn't put him up along the all-time greats. You know exactly how big he was, and how influential his specials and shows were. If Dave Chappelle announced that a HBO special was coming out next week with new material, you'd watch it and memorize as many lines as you could off the first viewing so you could text them to your buddies as soon as it was over. If he was starting back up Chappelle's Show, you'd TiVO every episode and would be discussing with your friends how souped you were for its return. If he was starting a new show, you'd be watching. If you flipped through your TV right now, and the scene in Half Baked where he was dressed like the Jamaican dude was on, or singing the Samson song, you'd stop flicking through immediately and pause for at least that. If Killin' 'Em Softly or For What It's Worth was on, you'd not only stop to watch, but you'd hit the record button for your DVR as well. Who cares that he's spent so much time off the grid, I'd rather watch repeats of him than a new David Cross routine any day of the week. I don't know if anybody has ever completely deconstructed taboos better in the history of comedy. He is and will always be one of the all-time greats.

For comedians that have emerged in my lifetime, after Chris Rock, I really can't think of anyone else who had as big of an impact on American culture than Chappelle. You people are insane. And terrorists don't take black hostages.

I'll try to keep this story short but the best "Chappelle show moment" I had was at a concert at the knitting factory in NYC. This band came on, they sucked, and then they started calling New yorkers, "filthy, disgusting, fags" etc. So people started throwing bottles at the band and the lead singer who was talking all the trash got nailed and yelled into the mic "WHO DO YOU PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE??!!!". And I swear on everything I hold dearly that within 2 seconds about 300 people shouted in unison "I"M RICK JAMES BITCH!!!" It was weird everyone had the same reaction.

/cool story'd

I'll try to keep this story short but the best "Chappelle show moment" I had was at a concert at the knitting factory in NYC. This band came on, they sucked, and then they started calling New yorkers, "filthy, disgusting, fags" etc. So people started throwing bottles at the band and the lead singer who was talking all the trash got nailed and yelled into the mic "WHO DO YOU PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE??!!!". And I swear on everything I hold dearly that within 2 seconds about 300 people shouted in unison "I"M RICK JAMES BITCH!!!" It was weird everyone had the same reaction.

/cool story'd

Haha, no sh*t. It's also worth noting that it took several YEARS for the line; "want some grapes bitches?" to not be said by at least one person after a pickup game.

Haha, no sh*t. It's also worth noting that it took several YEARS for the line; "want some grapes bitches?" to not be said by at least one person after a pickup game.

Pick-up games? At least with me and my boys it was always "run the play: computer blue, darling piggy" or "shoot the J..... SHOOT IT!!!"

Fine, I have been convinced. He's a legend. When I think about how I still quote him to this day it's kind of crazy. DIVERSIFY YOUR BONDS NIGGA

Pick-up games? At least with me and my boys it was always "run the play: computer blue, darling piggy" or "shoot the J..... SHOOT IT!!!"

Fine, I have been convinced. He's a legend. When I think about how I still quote him to this day it's kind of crazy. DIVERSIFY YOUR BONDS NIGGA

My wife and I were walking around after dinner somewhere and a bunch of tourists were taking pictures. The photographer said "say cheese" and about five of them said "I'm Wayne Brady, bitch!"

This is pretty much my thoughts on him in summation. Big rep.

Red Foxx was so much more than Sanford and Son. He was a standup, writer and early innovator. He approached topics that were taboo and used language that opened the door for guys like Carlin and Pryor. He was a rebel who was also able to crossover into mainstream media and had one of the earliest true black comedy hits in TV history. Chappelle was funny. Not an innovator. Not a groundbreaker. You want to call him hall of fame worthy, I'll agree to that. But you guys are throwing around the word LEGEND way too freely.

Archived