Much as I don't want to hear it - probably spot on

NJ

sean taylor is the most notorious

plax's team mate, steve smith was robbed at gunpoint.

rashard mendenhall robbed at gunpoint.

mardy gilyard robbed at gunpoint.

I heard the NFL offers a bodyguard program as well as the car service, so it's still really dumb, but these guys are targets, and he choose to carry. having a loaded gun in your pants is really really dumb, but I bet a lot of guys carry

well if your an NFL player or a regular guy walking around with high priced jewelery flashing all over the place will probably get you mugged. next time I wear my five rolexs up my arm and five ounces of pure gold around my neck Ill be sure to pack my 9 mil. with the safety on of course

well if your an NFL player or a regular guy walking around with high priced jewelery flashing all over the place will probably get you mugged. next time I wear my five rolexs up my arm and five ounces of pure gold around my neck Ill be sure to pack my 9 mil. with the safety on of course

So I shouldnt be walking around Newark dressed like this?

2prxms4.jpg

vick and plax are different people, different stories, different circumstances

unless you just want to boil it down to "black guy screws up and changes his ways" like the author did

vick faced enourmous national public backlash and hatred and venom for MONTHS

everyone did the facepalm for plax for a few days

very different, in every way

except one, of course

one was malicious and vicious. the other was just stupid. no comparison.

This is ridiculous. Comparing Micheal Vick's crime and punishment to Plax is comparing apples to oranges. Plax doesn't need to humble himself or act any differently, he paid his time and then some for a "showcase" crime (sometimes it doesn't pay to have celebrity status). Micheal Vick was a scum of the earth douche bag abusing dogs as well as killing them for sport which just shows you his true self. I feel he wouldn't have been given a second chance unless he put up a good act to show he has changed (yea..right). As long as Plax learned his lessons about firearm safety and protocol that's all he needed to learn from his prison stay.

i'd just like to point out that a gun doesn't suddenly become less dangerous when it is registered. if you believe that burress deserved the jail time that's certainly your right to hold that opinion. saying he is lucky that h eonly shot himself is stupid though.....if thats the case then cops are lucky that the guns they carry aren't accidentally shooting people all the time

Do the cops tuck their gun unholstered into the waist of their jeans and go out drinking??? And saying he is lucky he only shot himself is not stupid, that gun went off without his control due to his lack of experience handling a firearm, and could have extremely easily hit anyone. Apparently he didn't even have the safety on, something law enforcement does when a weapon is holstered.

Plax made a single moment type mistake and paid the price for it.

Vick had to pay a price for a lifestyle. He had to change his lifestyle.

Not quite the same.

Do you think that night was the first time he carried an illegal concealed deadly weapon on him? It was just the first time he got caught.

And here is the thing with carrying weapons. I am all for the rights given to me under the constitution, but when you decide to conceal carry, a you are taking an immense responsibility. You have to be able to make the correct judgement about how and when to use it. Obviousy in some situations it is an easy call, like when someone attacks you with a gun/knife, but what about other disputes and confrontations? Does anyone here honestly think mr "I don't take no ish" is equipped enough to handle that responsibility?

From a different perspective why would anyone bring a loaded gun into a club ? I could see if he shot himself on the street or in his backyard which would have also got him the same sentence (i think ) but bringing a gun into a crowded club where people are always looking for trouble is just as stupid as shooting himself. I mean what was he going to do with the gun in the club if trouble erupted ? Start firing ?

I think Burress is an idiot and I also think he had bad intentions.

I think Micheal Vick is a sick twisted bastard and I dont think his true feelings for Dogs has changed at all they are just animals to him, nothing else. Hes getting praise for basicly doing the simple task of staying away from the disgusting trade that got him thrown in jail and speaking to some kids now and then or showing up at an event when his agent tells him too. Trust me Micheal Vick is not leading the charge hes being told what to do to help his image nothing more.

Do the cops tuck their gun unholstered into the waist of their jeans and go out drinking??? And saying he is lucky he only shot himself is not stupid, that gun went off without his control due to his lack of experience handling a firearm, and could have extremely easily hit anyone. Apparently he didn't even have the safety on, something law enforcement does when a weapon is holstered.

ok....but the only thing firearm registration. laws do is keep guns out of the hands of people who actually follow that law. criminals who want a gn will get one.

Didn't like him as a Steeler ... less as a Gint .... would really love to be wrong but I think he's still a gutless punk

http://www.cbssports...n-from-mistakes

One man went to prison and learned from his mistakes. The other went to prison and may not have changed at all. Or very little. He still seems unaware of just how stupid he was.

I've seen Mike Vick. Interviewed him. Stood a few feet away and examined him. Vick committed acts of horror and went to Leavenworth, which is hell, not a prison. Yet it's obvious to anyone with a discerning eye, Vick is new human being. Prison made him a better man. It's as apparent as his foot speed.

But Plaxico Burress? I'm not so sure. Not after an interview he gave to HBO's "Real Sports," which airs this week in which he appeared to be the same old Plaxico.

"I don't take no [expletive] from nobody," Burress said about his perceived public image. "You got earn my respect as a person. You got love for me. I got love for you."

When told of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's hardened stance against him, Burress responded, 'Who is Mayor Bloomberg?'

"I don't take (expletive) from anyone either, unless my dumb a$ went to prison for shooting myself in a crowded nightclub. Then I might take some (expletive). I might need some humbling. I might not say to a legendary cable network and its legendary host that I don't take (expletive) from anyone because then it would seem I hadn't learned (expletive)."

You can see the differences between perhaps the most well-known ex-cons since O.J. -- and what each has learned.

Vick has learned humility. Now, confuse this with kowtowing. There's a difference. Neither Vick nor Burress should boot lick. But every interview I've seen Vick do, including those in which I've participated, Vick strikes the right balance between redemption and pride.

Burress is different. The HBO interview shows a player oblivious to the judicial system and world around him -- and more. He didn't even fake attempting to hide the fact he believed his celebrity would get him off the gun charge. Sure, Burress didn't deserve prison time and certainly the mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, can be stupendously arrogant himself. The fact Burress spent two years in jail is a disgrace.

But Burress -- then and now -- made Bloomberg's job easy. Burress told HBO that when his lawyer informed him that of Bloomberg's hardened position was going to cause Burress serious problems, Burress responded, "Who's Mayor Bloomberg?"

Good God.

That type of ignorance continued throughout Burress' dealings with the judicial system. Burress didn't deserve prison, but I can understand why he did time. He never took what happened seriously, believing his name would shield him. He gave Bloomberg and the legal system his middle finger and the system bit back.

Fast forward to now and that HBO interview. There are glimpses of him maybe getting it. "To be living in that cell 16-17 hours a day, you go from being able to do just about anything that you want to do to basically putting you in a cage, putting you in a box," Burress said. "It'll get your attention."

But did it really? In other moments Burress doesn't seem nearly so contrite or that he's learned from those humiliating days.

"I don’t take [expletive] from nobody."

I get the feeling Burress would make the same type of mistakes today he made then. The kind of mistakes people make who think they are untouchable and I'm beginning to believe Burress still thinks he's untouchable.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's difficult when we have Vick as a comparison. Vick and Burress are two freakish talents who once thought the rules didn't apply to them. Vick's transgressions were far more severe but so was the fall. The subsequent comeback is one of the great turnaround stories we've ever seen in sports.

Burress' story is still being written, but I'm concerned his ending won't be as tidy as Vick's appears so far. I'm worried we haven't seen the last of Burress not takin

Both of these guys are off...but Vick was killing dogs for the fun of it, while the other shot himself in the leg...to me that's two different stories. Burress speaks as if he is somekind of Gansta, while Vick has played down his Gansta mentality. In the end, all they have is football and what they will do on the field of play. Sooner or later, unless they have really understood the wrong of their ways, they will end up doing something stupid, hurting themselves or someone else or getting locked up again...I just hope I am wrong but if the NFL used a character standard as a means of giving allowing "men" to play for teams, then 50% or higher wouldnt make the grade...

Just curious, to the people making the silly argument that Burress committed a victim-less crime.

Is unsuccessful attempted murder, that leads the prospective victim unscathed, something that should be punishable by law? That's a victimless crime.

What about someone who drives home with a 0.3 BAC (or high as a kite or both) without killing anybody and "only" crashes the car into his own garage? Another victimless crime.

I do hope Burress has seen the proverbial light, as he and those around him will be the better for it. But he illegally brought a loaded handgun into a crowded bar/nightclub (whatever it was). And I don't know what type of gun he had, but given how the events unfolded it would certainly seem that the safety wasn't on. He got what he deserved. Pointing out that others have done far worse, or that those who did far worse didn't get far more jail time, doesn't absolve what Burress did.

Just curious, to the people making the silly argument that Burress committed a victim-less crime.

Is unsuccessful attempted murder, that leads the prospective victim unscathed, something that should be punishable by law? That's a victimless crime.

Technically there were no victims other than himself, so yes it is victimless. If you try to murder someone they are a victim because of the experience, whether successful or not. He wasn't intending to shoot anybody, he didn't try to kill anybody. The gun accidentally went off. It was dangerous and stupid, and could have been worse, but nothing close to attempted murder.

What about someone who drives home with a 0.3 BAC (or high as a kite or both) without killing anybody and "only" crashes the car into his own garage? Another victimless crime.

While we're comparing apples and oranges, lets throw some grapefruits into the mix. Edwards' car crash comes to mind here. I'd much rather know someone is packing heat in a club, than driving around drunk with team mates, but it's irrelevant anyways.

Plax did his time and paid for what he did. Lets not dwell on it. Let's dwell on his ankle and how our season is over because of it :)

While we're comparing apples and oranges, lets throw some grapefruits into the mix. Edwards' car crash comes to mind here. I'd much rather know someone is packing heat in a club, than driving around drunk with team mates, but it's irrelevant anyways.

It is irrelevant, but there was a pretty good chance that Burress could have shot Antonio Pierce. There were a few Giants with him when that gun went off. Jayson Williams, anyone?

He deserved, and still deserves it.

Exactly. I can always be sure of the fact that when once one is a thugturd, always a thugturd. And with every thugturd, comes the mentality of a child that has never grown up, period. Plax and Vick are little kids in huge athletic bodies.

Technically there were no victims other than himself, so yes it is victimless. If you try to murder someone they are a victim because of the experience, whether successful or not. He wasn't intending to shoot anybody, he didn't try to kill anybody. The gun accidentally went off. It was dangerous and stupid, and could have been worse, but nothing close to attempted murder.

Plax did his time and paid for what he did. Lets not dwell on it. Let's dwell on his ankle and how our season is over because of it :)

I'll drop it. I think your argument is way off as I'm basing my feelings on Plaxico being a member of society, not a member of the Jets.

I'll tell you what was told to me some time ago when I felt similarly about many things: when you have children you won't still feel the same way. I hear about someone driving wasted or bringing a loaded gun into a public place and all I can imagine is my kid being on the wrong end of these weapons. It's purely dumb luck he didn't kill someone, and the same goes for Edwards.

It's over and he's done his time. I do believe there is between little and no chance he'll do it again.

And yes, I hope he catches 12 touchdowns for the Jets this year.

OK, now I'll drop it. I'm a bit of a last word freak.

I'll drop it. I think your argument is way off as I'm basing my feelings on Plaxico being a member of society, not a member of the Jets.

I'll tell you what was told to me some time ago when I felt similarly about many things: when you have children you won't still feel the same way. I hear about someone driving wasted or bringing a loaded gun into a public place and all I can imagine is my kid being on the wrong end of these weapons. It's purely dumb luck he didn't kill someone, and the same goes for Edwards.

It's over and he's done his time. I do believe there is between little and no chance he'll do it again.

And yes, I hope he catches 12 touchdowns for the Jets this year.

OK, now I'll drop it. I'm a bit of a last word freak.

Spermy, you and DLJ have got it all right. I actually have pulled this guy over doing in excess of 100mph on Rt. 19 entering Paterson. He did not give a flying ****. Take the gun out of it, he could have killed a family in a minivan that day. I love my Jets, but not at the expense of reality and integrity. He was a dangerous, scumbag of a person, and he needs to understand that he is not the only guy with a wife and kids. Or a life worth preserving. His intetrview was a pile of crap. He sounded unprepared and utterly uneducated. Don't like him and don't want him.. Win us a SB, and I'll I'll still say we sold our souls to the devil. And screw Vick too. Rather root for a les talented person with a modicum of decency.

Spermy, you and DLJ have got it all right. I actually have pulled this guy over doing in excess of 100mph on Rt. 19 entering Paterson. He did not give a flying ****. Take the gun out of it, he could have killed a family in a minivan that day. I love my Jets, but not at the expense of reality and integrity. He was a dangerous, scumbag of a person, and he needs to understand that he is not the only guy with a wife and kids. Or a life worth preserving. His intetrview was a pile of crap. He sounded unprepared and utterly uneducated. Don't like him and don't want him.. Win us a SB, and I'll I'll still say we sold our souls to the devil. And screw Vick too. Rather root for a les talented person with a modicum of decency.

Yeah, I hear ya and definitely understand where you guys are coming from. Jail can be a life changing experience. Was that recently that you pulled him over, or was that before the jail time? I hope you gave him a ticket.

He deserved, and still deserves it.

Why? The man did his time and has done more than enough to avenge for his crime.

He didn't kill a person, he fought DOGS. I think what he did was disgusting, but it's so annoying to me when people think he should still be in prison or is quick to jump all over the guy.

Yeah, I hear ya and definitely understand where you guys are coming from. Jail can be a life changing experience. Was that recently that you pulled him over, or was that before the jail time? I hope you gave him a ticket.

That was pre-prison. Don't remember if I ticketed him or my backup actually wrote it, but I remember him being quite arrogant. Here's hoping he's matured since then.

Respect is easy to earn. Just have integrity and do what you say you're going to do. That's how you gain respect. You shouldn't have to work your a$$ off for that. Just treat people the way you'd like to be treated.

That's exactly how I am, but I'm also the type that will return double how others treat me. That is why in person most people that know me consider me the nicest person they know. Yet there are lots of people that consider me the biggest jerk around. Most of my friends actually have figured out the system quite well, if they meet someone new and that guy badmouths me, they immediately avoid that person.

In my life I've found that the biggest jerks are generally the ones that are busy trying to convince everyone else how they're good people and other people are assholes. I've never met a truly good person that will go on a campaign to turn people against someone. I will give an honest warning about someone to protect people from getting bullied or scammed by that person, but that is as far as I am willing to go generally.

Too many people have a herd mentality of piling onto someone just because someone else does. I am guilty of this sometimes too, but I try not to engage in this. It doesn't matter for Vick and Burress but still it's a life decision on my part to avoid it anyway.

Archived