Bill Belichick is one of the most overrated head coaches of all time.

JetsFanFromQueens

In my eyes, Belichick has been one of the most overrated head coaches. Before Tom Brady existed, Belichick was a career loser, no?

1991: 6-10

1992: 7-9

1993: 7-9

1994: 11-5.

1995: 5-11.

2000 (Patriots): 5-11.

That made for an overall losing career coaching record of 41-55 during his first 6 years as head coach. He's a fraud. During his first 6 years as head coach, he only managed 1 winning season. That's horrendous, which makes it laughable at the same time. 5 losing seasons during his first 6 years in the league? It's sad that he'll one day, get inducted into the hall of fame as "one of the greatest head coaches of all time". Before Tom Brady took the league by storm, Belly had a career losing record of 41-55. In my eyes, 5 losing seasons after 6 years of being in the league doesn't make for a great head coach nor a great talent evaluator.

I'm sure I'll see some posters mention how most winning coaches need great play out of the QB position inorder to win, but that's not true at all. Not when you're a great head coach. Just look at Rex Ryan himself. Not to take anything away from Mark Sanchez, but during his first two years as head coach, Rex has been forced to work with a raw rookie/2nd year QB with only one year of college starting experience, a developing QB who could only manage QB ratings of 63 and 75.3 during two regular seasons. The overall poor play of Sanchez, during the regular season, still couldn't stop Rex Ryan from leading his team to the AFC Championship game during his first two seasons as head coach. He's done it with top 5 D's as well. Rex Ryan was always known as a defensive guru with Baltimore, and he's most definitely lived up to his expectations here in NY. That's because he's a great football coach. Solid QB or not, his track record speaks for itself, he's a winner. We've gone 20-12 under Ryan with a playoff record of 4-2. An overall record of 24-14, With a developing QB under center? I'll take it.

Back to the fraud. During his first 6 years as head coach, Belichick could only manage 5 losing seasons with a laughing stock record of 41-55. The man was a career loser before Tom Brady took over under center. He lost miserable during his first year with NE, despite the fact that he took over a NE team that was coming off an 8-8 season (Led that same team to a 5-11 season in 2000), and also inherited a great defense from Parcells, true defensive leaders such as Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy to name a few. How he managed to go 5-11 with that defense and Drew Bledsoe under center is beyond me.

Then came Tom Brady. The true winner in my eyes. That's when everything changed for Belly and the Patriots franchise. Tom Brady is HOF greatness. Bill Belichick never was, and in my eyes, never will be. He's a fraud, a cheat, and someone who's been saved by a HOF QB. Since Tom Brady took over back in 2001, BB and the Patriots have gone 101-39 with 3 SB Championships. The Patriots have had seasons where they've gone 14-2, 14-2, 12-4, 16-0 and 14-2 (last season). But yet, the Patriots went 5-11 back in 2000 under Belichick, but then came Tom Brady the following season of 2001... That's when NE went 14-2 under Brady and *Belichick*, won a SB and have never really looked back since.

41-55 pre Tom Brady... 121-39 post Tom Brady. That is no coincidence. Tom Brady is an all time great, but yet, Bill Belichick has some how taken credit for it.

Belichick without Brady: 7 years (91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 2000, 2008),  5 losing seasons, record of 41-55. 1 playoff win. Actually, make that an overall record of 52-60 without Tom Brady. Those extra 11 W's/5 L's (without Brady) came back in 2008 when Brady went down and Cassell took over from start to finish.

Belichick without Brady: (7 years), 52-60, 5 losing seasons, only one playoff win.

Belichick with Brady: (9 years), 98-34, 9 winning seasons, 3 championships.

Anyone who doesn't see what Tom Brady has done for this NE franchise is blind. Anyone who gives credit to Belichick as a "hall of fame" head coach is naive. I'm not saying that he's a bad head coach, because he's not, but he's not one of the greatest of all-time. He's a product of Tom Brady.

The 1993 Browns were 5-2 before Testaverde got hurt. Remember when Belichick benched Kosar? Kosar came in a proceeded to lead the team to 4 straight loses.

The 1994 Browns went 11-5 and won a playoff game.

The 1995 Browns were 3-3 before Art Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore.

The 2000 Pats were a bad team. You should know what Pete Carroll does to a team.

The 1993 Browns were 5-2 before Testaverde got hurt. Remember when Belichick benched Kosar? Kosar came in a proceeded to lead the team to 4 straight loses.

The 1994 Browns went 11-5 and won a playoff game.

The 1995 Browns were 3-3 before Art Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore.

The 2000 Pats were a bad team. You should know what Pete Carroll does to a team.

Didn't the Pats go 11-5 under Carroll with pretty much the exact same team in '98 that Belichick went 5-11 with in 2000?

Didn't the Pats go 11-5 under Carroll with pretty much the exact same team in '98 that Belichick went 5-11 with in 2000?

Nope.

1997: 10-6

1998: 9-7

1999: 8-8

BTW: I'm sure you remember that BB was the Jets D-Coordinator from 1997-199.

Nope.

1997: 10-6

1998: 9-7

1999: 8-8

BTW: I'm sure you remember that BB was the Jets D-Coordinator from 1997-199.

I do, so to think I give a rats a$$ what the Pats record is from year to year is laughable because I'm a Jets fan. I'll bet PR37 doesn't know what the Pats record was in any year prior to 2001.

In my eyes, Belichick has been one of the most overrated head coaches. Before Tom Brady existed, Belichick was a career loser, no?

That made for an overall losing career coaching record of 41-55 during his first 6 years as head coach. He's a fraud. During his first 6 years as head coach, he only managed 1 winning season. That's horrendous, which makes it laughable at the same time. 5 losing seasons during his first 6 years in the league? It's sad that he'll one day, get inducted into the hall of fame as "one of the greatest head coaches of all time". Before Tom Brady took the league by storm, Belly had a career losing record of 41-55. In my eyes, 5 losing seasons after 6 years of being in the league doesn't make for a great head coach nor a great talent evaluator.

I'm sure I'll see some posters mention how most winning coaches need great play out of the QB position inorder to win, but that's not true at all. Not when you're a great head coach. Just look at Rex Ryan himself. Not to take anything away from Mark Sanchez, but during his first two years as head coach, Rex has been forced to work with a raw rookie/2nd year QB with only one year of college starting experience, a developing QB who could only manage QB ratings of 63 and 75.3 during two regular seasons. The overall poor play of Sanchez, during the regular season, still couldn't stop Rex Ryan from leading his team to the AFC Championship game during his first two seasons as head coach. He's done it with top 5 D's as well. Rex Ryan was always known as a defensive guru with Baltimore, and he's most definitely lived up to his expectations here in NY. That's because he's a great football coach. Solid QB or not, his track record speaks for itself, he's a winner. We've gone 20-12 under Ryan with a playoff record of 4-2. An overall record of 24-14, With a developing QB under center? I'll take it.

Back to the fraud. During his first 6 years as head coach, Belichick could only manage 5 losing seasons with a laughing stock record of 41-55. The man was a career loser before Tom Brady took over under center. He lost miserable during his first year with NE, despite the fact that he took over a NE team that was coming off an 8-8 season (Led that same team to a 5-11 season in 2000), and also inherited a great defense from Parcells, true defensive leaders such as Tedy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy to name a few. How he managed to go 5-11 with that defense and Drew Bledsoe under center is beyond me.

Then came Tom Brady. The true winner in my eyes. That's when everything changed for Belly and the Patriots franchise. Tom Brady is HOF greatness. Bill Belichick never was, and in my eyes, never will be. He's a fraud, a cheat, and someone who's been saved by a HOF QB. Since Tom Brady took over back in 2001, BB and the Patriots have gone 101-39 with 3 SB Championships. The Patriots have had seasons where they've gone 14-2, 14-2, 12-4, 16-0 and 14-2 (last season). But yet, the Patriots went 5-11 back in 2000 under Belichick, but then came Tom Brady the following season of 2001... That's when NE went 14-2 under Brady and *Belichick*, won a SB and have never really looked back since.

41-55 pre Tom Brady... 121-39 post Tom Brady. That is no coincidence. Tom Brady is an all time great, but yet, Bill Belichick has some how taken credit for it.

Belichick without Brady: 7 years (91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 2000, 2008), 5 losing seasons, record of 41-55. 1 playoff win. Actually, make that an overall record of 52-60 without Tom Brady. Those extra 11 W's/5 L's (without Brady) came back in 2008 when Brady went down and Cassell took over from start to finish.

Belichick without Brady: (7 years), 52-60, 5 losing seasons, only one playoff win.

Anyone who doesn't see what Tom Brady has done for this NE franchise is blind. Anyone who gives credit to Belichick as a "hall of fame" head coach is naive. I'm not saying that he's a bad head coach, because he's not, but he's not one of the greatest of all-time. He's a product of Tom Brady.

Remember when BB was the D-Coordinator of the Jets from 1997-1999? The Jets were 1-15 in 2006 and then went 7-9, 12-4 and 8-8.

I do, so to think I give a rats a$$ what the Pats record is from year to year is laughable because I'm a Jets fan. I'll bet PR37 doesn't know what the Pats record was in any year prior to 2001.

PR37 is no friend of mine. Pete Carroll took over a team that went to the Super Bowl and proceeded to drive it into the ground.

Tom Brady was born in 1977. Pretty sure he existed from 91-95.

I actually do think BB is overrated. Tom Brady is what transformed that team. Yes he's a good coach, but he's not this god like figure that everyone portrays him to be. Brady had rotating receivers all year last year and still put up some of his best numbers of his career. That's not because of coaching, it's because Brady is that damn good, even throwing to receivers he has yet to build chemistry with. I couldn't agree more.

Belichick without Brady: 7 years (91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 2000, 2008), 5 losing seasons, record of 41-55. 1 playoff win. Actually, make that an overall record of 52-60 without Tom Brady. Those extra 11 W's/5 L's (without Brady) came back in 2008 when Brady went down and Cassell took over from start to finish.

Bellicheat should thanks his lucky stars every day that he lucked into Brady. As a result, his perceived status as a head coach (he was an excellent defensive coordinator) went from worse than mediocre to one of the greats. I believe that he will retire (or at least leave the Patriots) when Brady retires, in order to preserve his legacy.

But just as significant as his inflated reputation as a coach, is the fact that once the GM went to KC it became glaringly apparent that he is an extremely poor evaluator of talent. Withat that many draft picks he should come up with far more good picks than he does.

Archived