The Official "Fire Tanny" Thread

lancemehl

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's already beginning to do just that. Hop on board whenever you're ready.

No

It's never over

Continuity:

D'Brick

Mangold

Revis

Sanchez

Harris

Moore

Pouha

For starters.

Stoic when Tanny took over he was the team accountant/capoligist. Mangini ran those drafts, not Tanny and I think Bradway was consulting as well. I would also be willing to bet he still leans more heavily on his current staff than making the personnel decisions exclusively.

This. What Villain is saying is what any Jets fan with 20+ years of heartbreaking memories already knows, and what the young and hopeful will unfortunately learn. This team will never know longterm success. we have to hope for a perfect storm to win the big one. We had that storm, but it's blown over. And now here we are again. Because we buy, we do not build. Welcome to the bright lights and the big city. Results now = fire the coach time and again. No continuity, no team identity, no long-term talent. Just rentals and castoffs and Tanny with his fancy contracts and quill pen. These are the Jets. Welcome to being a fan.

Where do you gets this from? No continuity? No long-term talent? We buy, not build? Huh?

The Jets core are all signed up long term or on the first half of their contract, most of them if not all were drafted by the Jets, all very talented and have been with the team for a number of years. In fact, of our 22 starters, there's only a handful that wasnt drafted or picked as a UDFA of some type by the Jets. We traded for Cro and Holmes (steals IMO). Pace, Scott, Leonhard and Hunter were all FA pick ups. The rest of our starters were ALL drafted by the Jets or were some other teams camp fodder that we picked up and are making hay with.

Tanny has filled the most talented roster this team has ever seen. I have no clue why there is so much hate toward this man. All you heart broken butt hurt Braylon Edwards fans need to get over it. The guy is gone and it doesnt make Tanny a bad GM because he lost him.

Stoic when Tanny took over he was the team accountant/capoligist. Mangini ran those drafts, not Tanny and I think Bradway was consulting as well. I would also be willing to bet he still leans more heavily on his current staff than making the personnel decisions exclusively.

So he had nothing to do with those drafts? Okay.

So he had nothing to do with those drafts? Okay.

No Im not saying nothing I think he had to crunch the numbers and make things happen from a financial standpoint But I feel Mangini made the calls. Just an assumption I guess . Keep in mind they Kept bradway around for a reason ....If they went out and hired a seasoned GM like Lets say Casserly do you think they would have had to keep Bradway around ? Tanny was a rookie and Mangini had the blue print for how to build a team starting with the O-line and going from there.

No Im not saying nothing I think he had to crunch the numbers and make things happen from a financial standpoint But I feel Mangini made the calls. Just an assumption I guess . Keep in mind they Kept bradway around for a reason ....If they went out and hired a seasoned GM like Lets say Casserly do you think they would have had to keep Bradway around ? Tanny was a rookie and Mangini had the blue print for how to build a team starting with the O-line and going from there.

Meh, Bradway has one decent draft, his first one and then a coulpe of complete head scratchers. DRob. Bryan Thomas with Ed Reed on the board and you already had 2 pro bowl DE's.

Anyway, I dont think there's too many players besides Bryan Thomas left from the Bradway era.

And how do you know it was Mangini's blue print and not Tanny's? He's a Parcells/BB guy...they are all about drafting from the inside out. How do you know it wasnt Tanny's suggestion to do the same? Mangini was a rookie HC and isnt he the reason we got the "worst player in the history of the NFL"?

Meh, Bradway has one decent draft, his first one and then a coulpe of complete head scratchers. DRob. Bryan Thomas with Ed Reed on the board and you already had 2 pro bowl DE's.

Anyway, I dont think there's too many players besides Bryan Thomas left from the Bradway era.

And how do you know it was Mangini's blue print and not Tanny's? He's a Parcells/BB guy...they are all about drafting from the inside out. How do you know it wasnt Tanny's suggestion to do the same? Mangini was a rookie HC and isnt he the reason we got the "worst player in the history of the NFL"?

Its probably something we will never know the real inside deal . Also Im not a fan of Bradway at all but I think he hung around to work Tanny in at GM which I think was mentioned at the time. I think the Real Judge will be how our last 2 drafts under Rex pan out. As for the worst player in the NFL ( hehe) I think that was a pressure pick , I was pushing for Rivers it almost seemed they were afraid not to make the pick I know you wanted McFadden and it would have been interesting to see what they would have done if he was available.

Its probably something we will never know the real inside deal . Also Im not a fan of Bradway at all but I think he hung around to work Tanny in at GM which I think was mentioned at the time. I think the Real Judge will be how our last 2 drafts under Rex pan out. As for the worst player in the NFL ( hehe) I think that was a pressure pick , I was pushing for Rivers it almost seemed they were afraid not to make the pick I know you wanted McFadden and it would have been interesting to see what they would have done if he was available.

I just remember going to sleep that night praying that someone jumped up and picked Gholston ahead of us. And yes, I wanted DMC badly.

I'm very optimistic about the last 2 drafts. Vlad looks like an utter bust, but Kyle Wilson is probably the most improved player on this team...by far. McKnight looks like he was a great pick if we just had an OC that understood how to work youngsters into a game. And I absolutely love this years draft. Finally the Jets drafted my #1 choice for this defense and Mo Wilk looks like he's going to be a stud. I'm confident Ellis will too. You know how I feel about Kerley and Caserly said that Powell was the best value pick in the draft. He was a beast at Louisville...literally their only offensive weapon and D's still couldnt stop him. I really hope to see this kid in the future.

I just remember going to sleep that night praying that someone jumped up and picked Gholston ahead of us. And yes, I wanted DMC badly.

I'm very optimistic about the last 2 drafts. Vlad looks like an utter bust, but Kyle Wilson is probably the most improved player on this team...by far. McKnight looks like he was a great pick if we just had an OC that understood how to work youngsters into a game. And I absolutely love this years draft. Finally the Jets drafted my #1 choice for this defense and Mo Wilk looks like he's going to be a stud. I'm confident Ellis will too. You know how I feel about Kerley and Caserly said that Powell was the best value pick in the draft. He was a beast at Louisville...literally their only offensive weapon and D's still couldnt stop him. I really hope to see this kid in the future.

Im actully glad to see them working Kerley in I think once this kid builds confidence and gets to prepare as the teams slot WR (and knows it) will see exactly what we have in him. He seems to be playing faster which means hes picking it up and he is getting separation which is good too. I would love to see McKnight get some more touches receiving the ball in space out of the backfield and I would also like to see Powell get a shot as well at some point. Powell got totally hammered in the preseason after starting off nicely, really cant blame him for the horrible back up o-line we trotted out there it was a flaming joke to be honest. Im still a little worried about this season and its getting to point once again where its too late to dump Shotty. If he is here next year Ill just throw my arms up and just sit there like a zombie wathcing Jets football as long as this guy is here. If we happnen to make the playoffs Shotty just scares the daylights out of me on Important calls (which there are plenty of come playoff time) and you cant afford mistakes in close games.

I am not even disagreeing. I am super frustrated too. I agree with just about everything you say. I am disappointed about many roster moves, and the poor play when I saw a roster that I was excited about. I just don't get the doom and gloom and "fire" this and that.. and 'he sucks trade him' type stuff.

Im just looking for Schotty to be fired. If anyone disagrees then I dont think they're looking about our offensive issues.

This. What Villain is saying is what any Jets fan with 20+ years of heartbreaking memories already knows, and what the young and hopeful will unfortunately learn. This team will never know longterm success. we have to hope for a perfect storm to win the big one. We had that storm, but it's blown over. And now here we are again. Because we buy, we do not build. Welcome to the bright lights and the big city. Results now = fire the coach time and again. No continuity, no team identity, no long-term talent. Just rentals and castoffs and Tanny with his fancy contracts and quill pen. These are the Jets. Welcome to being a fan.

Are you trying to be ironic?

Rentals and castoffs? Like Faneca and Edwards? Those are the guys you are so upset we lost. No player development? Guys like Wilkerson, Wilson, Ducasse, McKnight, Slauson, Kerley? The ones you are upset at Tannenbaum for letting see the field?

Are you trying to be ironic?

Rentals and castoffs? Like Faneca and Edwards? Those are the guys you are so upset we lost. No player development? Guys like Wilkerson, Wilson, Ducasse, McKnight, Slauson, Kerley? The ones you are upset at Tannenbaum for letting see the field?

OMG I could list so many rentals and castoffs not named Faneca and Edwards...who were in fact rentals. J. Taylor, Pryce, Mason, Cromartie (who only resigned after being cast-off for Aso who we failed to rent) Maybin Lankster Trufant Strickland Brunell Hartstock Larry freakin Izzo Tony Richardson Lito Sheppard...holy crap that's just the last two years.

Player development? Ducasse, Wilson and Wilkerson are 1st and 2nd round draft picks. one of the three starts. One of the three is a bust. McKnight...Slauson...okay they're developing and that's good. but that's all, isn't it? Because Tanny has pissed away so many draft picks on rentals and castoffs that he didn't have the capitol to actually draft real developmental players. Which is why everybody faps when we pick up guys off of other team's practice squads. Sad really.

I was so pissed that year. As fans, we sat through a frustrating 3-12 record going into the last game and they had to go into the last game of the season against KC and win a meaningless game in OT. Like what the sh*t. That one win set our team back so much because we fell like 3 slots in draft position and got stuck with Gholston.

OMG I could list so many rentals and castoffs not named Faneca and Edwards...who were in fact rentals. J. Taylor, Pryce, Mason, Cromartie (who only resigned after being cast-off for Aso who we failed to rent) Maybin Lankster Trufant Strickland Brunell Hartstock Larry freakin Izzo Tony Richardson Lito Sheppard...holy crap that's just the last two years.

Player development? Ducasse, Wilson and Wilkerson are 1st and 2nd round draft picks. one of the three starts. One of the three is a bust. McKnight...Slauson...okay they're developing and that's good. but that's all, isn't it? Because Tanny has pissed away so many draft picks on rentals and castoffs that he didn't have the capitol to actually draft real developmental players. Which is why everybody faps when we pick up guys off of other team's practice squads. Sad really.

OMG? What are we Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

I suggest you review some NFL rosters. I don't think you understand how good teams are constructed. Also, remember that we changed coaches 2 years ago. That usually results in wholesale changes of guys that may be good in other systems. See Rhodes, Kerry and Ellis, again.

Also, if you want to keep saying that Westerman "sucks" maybe you should review the definition of player development.

II don't understand how Richardson was a rental. He was here for, what, 3 years before his retirement? How is that a rental?

Larry Izzo was something like #50-53 on our roster. You want more job stability for the 50th-53rd man? That's kinda the definition of their job, to come and go. If they really click and they have years left, they can move up, but it's totally normal to be switching out the guys that fill in the bottom of your roster.

Every roster has guys that come for a year and go, nothing weird about that at all. I just don't get where you're coming from.

OMG? What are we Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

I suggest you review some NFL rosters. I don't think you understand how good teams are constructed. Also, remember that we changed coaches 2 years ago. That usually results in wholesale changes of guys that may be good in other systems. See Rhodes, Kerry and Ellis, again.

Also, if you want to keep saying that Westerman "sucks" maybe you should review the definition of player development.

I will not argue this point as we have a difference of opinion and that's perfectly okay. What I will do...nay...what I must in fact do...is apologize wholeheartedly for using the OMG. I bow and admit that I'm now 46% more gay now than I was before that post. The post stands. The OMG? dammit...you had to call me out on that one! (Sulks off into the shadows wearing no pants and lipstick on my nipples)

I will not argue this point as we have a difference of opinion and that's perfectly okay. What I will do...nay...what I must in fact do...is apologize wholeheartedly for using the OMG. I bow and admit that I'm now 46% more gay now than I was before that post. The post stands. The OMG? dammit...you had to call me out on that one! (Sulks off into the shadows wearing no pants and lipstick on my nipples)

We all are!

II don't understand how Richardson was a rental. He was here for, what, 3 years before his retirement? How is that a rental?

Larry Izzo was something like #50-53 on our roster. You want more job stability for the 50th-53rd man? That's kinda the definition of their job, to come and go. If they really click and they have years left, they can move up, but it's totally normal to be switching out the guys that fill in the bottom of your roster.

Every roster has guys that come for a year and go, nothing weird about that at all. I just don't get where you're coming from.

What's the statistic? 30% average turnover per year?

I was so pissed that year. As fans, we sat through a frustrating 3-12 record going into the last game and they had to go into the last game of the season against KC and win a meaningless game in OT. Like what the sh*t. That one win set our team back so much because we fell like 3 slots in draft position and got stuck with Gholston.

I remember feeling very torn after that game. I was happy for the win and ending the season on a win...but I knew we were going to miss DMC for that and I had pictures of that guy in my sig for like half the season. Probably never wanted a player so badly. Could you imagine if we had that guy for the last 2 years the way this team used to run the ball?

With the drafts, you also have to consider Holmes and Cromartie. Those are 2 of our most recent draft picks. A #1 WR and a #2 starting CB. Revis and Cro lead the league in picks for a CB tandem this year, which is cool.

Not bad.

Agreed. I think you have to take those trades into perspective when you look at the draft as a whole.

I know, I really wanted DMC at the time. I remember you hated Gholston with a passion even then. Gholston was not my favorite, and I knew he had stiff hips, but I never thought he was going to bust as bad as he did.

Everyone ran with DMC having weak lower legs and doesn't drive through runs because Mayock said it, but I still thought he was the home run threat we've lacked for forever.

I remember feeling very torn after that game. I was happy for the win and ending the season on a win...but I knew we were going to miss DMC for that and I had pictures of that guy in my sig for like half the season. Probably never wanted a player so badly. Could you imagine if we had that guy for the last 2 years the way this team used to run the ball?

Agreed. I think you have to take those trades into perspective when you look at the draft as a whole.

With the drafts, you also have to consider Holmes and Cromartie. Those are 2 of our most recent draft picks. A #1 WR and a #2 starting CB. Revis and Cro lead the league in picks for a CB tandem this year, which is cool.

Not bad.

They both make like ten million dollars a year, which isn't nearly as cool. That we traded draft picks for Cromartie and Holmes doesn't make having them remotely similar to actually hitting on your picks. You build through the draft because rookie contracts are cheap. Anybody can get premium talent by paying premium prices. Good teams get the talent without paying retail.

They both make like ten million dollars a year, which isn't nearly as cool. That we traded draft picks for Cromartie and Holmes doesn't make having them remotely similar to actually hitting on your picks. You build through the draft because rookie contracts are cheap. Anybody can get premium talent by paying premium prices. Good teams get the talent without paying retail.

Expensive Holmes vs. cheap 5th round WR? I'll take Holmes...

I want to revisit this thread because I have been considered a blind homer in here. I would like to point out that I think it is dumb to talk about firing Tannebaum. This thread went on for 130 posts and I still haven't seen anybody point out what I consider the front offices biggest blunder this season: why the **** did they carry Turner and Payne if they weren't going to wait for them to get active? They both were within a few weeks of being healthy when they were cut. They could have kept Maybin on the team all that time. I think it was a huge blunder and while I like both players at the end of camp I am usually happy to say - IR these guys when I am considering prospective 53s. Two bad moves. Worse the same bad move twice.

I want to revisit this thread because I have been considered a blind homer in here. I would like to point out that I think it is dumb to talk about firing Tannebaum. This thread went on for 130 posts and I still haven't seen anybody point out what I consider the front offices biggest blunder this season: why the **** did they carry Turner and Payne if they weren't going to wait for them to get active? They both were within a few weeks of being healthy when they were cut. They could have kept Maybin on the team all that time. I think it was a huge blunder and while I like both players at the end of camp I am usually happy to say - IR these guys when I am considering prospective 53s. Two bad moves. Worse the same bad move twice.

I don't see what the big deal is. Injuries get re-evaluated all the time, as do team needs relative to performance. If anything, I would be worried if they weren't changing their minds from time to time/

Robert Turner wasn't cut, he was put on the IR - due to Mangold's injury more than anything else. They couldn't afford to keep two inactive C's on the roster, I'd suspect.

(That's assuming Turner was about to return, I'm not sure he was. )

I don't see what the big deal is. Injuries get re-evaluated all the time, as do team needs relative to performance. If anything, I would be worried if they weren't changing their minds from time to time/

Robert Turner wasn't cut, he was put on the IR - due to Mangold's injury more than anything else. They couldn't afford to keep two inactive C's on the roster, I'd suspect.

(That's assuming Turner was about to return, I'm not sure he was. )

Excuse me. Cut was the wrong term. I meant IR'd. The big deal is that they are both low level role players who we knew were going to miss at least 6 weeks. Having them up 2 roster spots is moronic. Payne, who is borderline to begin with, in particular.

slapgf4.gif

I don't want to fire Tanny, but I would like to know WTH we just signed Shawn Nelson (and all his baggage) when we already have 3 tight ends that we don't use enough as it is.

What we need is a backup Center...especially since we cut Baxter who just signed with the Bolts!

I'm even open to seeing what Shaun O'Hara has left.

The Jints players were crushed when they didn't resign the guy in the off season.

I'll bet he would come here just to stick it to the Giants.

I don't have the time or patience to read through this thread but are there really posters here who don't like Tannenbaum?

For brevity sake can someone leave a list of these posters names so I can put them on ignore.

If you've been a Jets fan, forget that, a football fan for any amount of time then there really shouldn't be any argument. This team has talent and not just one year talent. This is now the 3rd year that we have a SB caliber team and aside from injuries this car has a good number of miles before it dies. People never appreciate what they have. How long is the memory span on this board?

I don't have the time or patience to read through this thread but are there really posters here who don't like Tannenbaum?

For brevity sake can someone leave a list of these posters names so I can put them on ignore.

If you've been a Jets fan, forget that, a football fan for any amount of time then there really shouldn't be any argument. This team has talent and not just one year talent. This is now the 3rd year that we have a SB caliber team and aside from injuries this car has a good number of miles before it dies. People never appreciate what they have. How long is the memory span on this board?

I agree. I'm new to the board so I haven't read the thread either. Probably gonna get creamed for this, but I think Tanny is a great GM. He may've had a few bumps along the way like making Ghoulston the 1st round pick, but he also drafted players like Reeve, Brick, Nick, Harris, DK, Shonn, Joe McK and other signings like Tone, Plax, Cro, LT & Pace. I love his aggressive style...which is why I can't understand why he hasn't addressed this o-line situation already??? I've been screaming about this ever since we lost Damien Woody. We need depth on that o-line b/c we've already seen what happens to the offense when our linemen struggle or get injured. And I don't like the idea of making Slauson the backup center...leave him where he is, he's fine there. Let's just go out there and get another body...preferably a center. Makes me nervous...

• 11 months later...

Archived