The Official "Fire Tanny" Thread

lancemehl

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhh...the dilemna! (wring my hands). On the one side I think Tanny buys talent and overpays. I think his entire methodology is based on a ledger...as any good accountant's is. Add, subtract, work the numbers, sell some tickets. On the other hand...even I can't agree and throw my hat in with the "Fire Tanny Now" concept. What I want is for him to change his ways and build a long=term successful franchise. All I see is mercenaries and knuckleheads being brought in. Hard to get behind those guys. He is a crap draft manager too. throws away picks for rentals all the time, and leaves us with UDFA depth. He is an expert capologist. But I think this actually hurts him as a GM. He's looking for the "DEAL". the "SPLASH". He is not a builder of a team, he is the great aquirer. And he gets lost in it. Nnamdi is a classic example. as was Favre. And Plax. And even LT. He has a lot to learn, and will have a debt to pay when his big FA's run sour and hurt the team and cost a fortune. It's begun already. but its a long way from over. I think he can improve...but he needs to be a man and draft fearlessly, trust his players to gel and mature. Stop ******* with the chemistry. He's like a chef with a great chili recipe that keeps getting more exotic and more expensive ingredients until, eventually, that great chili doesn't taste like chili anymore. It tastes like curry. And makes us all farty and nauseous. That's where we are now. Farty and nauseous. And hungry for that old chili.

Ohhh...the dilemna! (wring my hands). On the one side I think Tanny buys talent and overpays. I think his entire methodology is based on a ledger...as any good accountant's is. Add, subtract, work the numbers, sell some tickets. On the other hand...even I can't agree and throw my hat in with the "Fire Tanny Now" concept. What I want is for him to change his ways and build a long=term successful franchise. All I see is mercenaries and knuckleheads being brought in. Hard to get behind those guys. He is a crap draft manager too. throws away picks for rentals all the time, and leaves us with UDFA depth. He is an expert capologist. But I think this actually hurts him as a GM. He's looking for the "DEAL". the "SPLASH". He is not a builder of a team, he is the great aquirer. And he gets lost in it. Nnamdi is a classic example. as was Favre. And Plax. And even LT. He has a lot to learn, and will have a debt to pay when his big FA's run sour and hurt the team and cost a fortune. It's begun already. but its a long way from over. I think he can improve...but he needs to be a man and draft fearlessly, trust his players to gel and mature. Stop ******* with the chemistry. He's like a chef with a great chili recipe that keeps getting more exotic and more expensive ingredients until, eventually, that great chili doesn't taste like chili anymore. It tastes like curry. And makes us all farty and nauseous. That's where we are now. Farty and nauseous. And hungry for that old chili.

I know you and I are on different sides in the Tannenbaum debate, so I'm not going to try to change your mind or contine fighting the same points.

I would like to address you comment that he "buys talent" and "overpays". How can he do that with a salary cap? If you mean in terms of picks and players I dispute that but it's not worth arguing. If you mean in terms of money then I certainly think you are mistaken. The team consistently adds talent and has never ended up in cap hell unlike the Parcells era. I suppose that you could argue they didn't add talent this year, but IMO that remains to be seen.

The main problem that I have with your Tannenbaum complaints is that you constantly bemoan the lack of low and mid-range draft picks, but you complain that they guys Tannenbaum drafts at those spots can't immediately crack the lineup on a playoff caliber team. You want depth, but when you have guys that are only good for depth you call them busts.

I know you and I are on different sides in the Tannenbaum debate, so I'm not going to try to change your mind or contine fighting the same points.

I would like to address you comment that he "buys talent" and "overpays". How can he do that with a salary cap? If you mean in terms of picks and players I dispute that but it's not worth arguing. If you mean in terms of money then I certainly think you are mistaken. The team consistently adds talent and has never ended up in cap hell unlike the Parcells era. I suppose that you could argue they didn't add talent this year, but IMO that remains to be seen.

The main problem that I have with your Tannenbaum complaints is that you constantly bemoan the lack of low and mid-range draft picks, but you complain that they guys Tannenbaum drafts at those spots can't immediately crack the lineup on a playoff caliber team. You want depth, but when you have guys that are only good for depth you call them busts.

Case in point:

The "ok" GM targets Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard in free agency and gets them signed, even if he had to pay top dollar for them.

The great GM finds Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard as off-the-street free agents, has them play for pennies for four years, and already has their replacements in place when Scott and Leonhard get overpaid by the "ok" GM.

Case in point:

The "ok" GM targets Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard in free agency and gets them signed, even if he had to pay top dollar for them.

The great GM finds Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard as off-the-street free agents, has them play for pennies for four years, and already has their replacements in place when Scott and Leonhard get overpaid by the "ok" GM.

That's fair enough, but can you pick another example? Those two guys were obviously Rex choices for better or worse. I can give you a list of UDFAs that the Jets have been using and nobody seems impressed because they weren't drafted. Guys like Devito, Cole, Pitoitua, Westerman, Cumberland, Mauga, Dixon and Conley. These guys have been contributing and contributing a ton. We'll see how Westerman does now that he is the starter, but it's not like the guy can't find UDFA talent. The replacements you are looking for are like Wilson, the same guys most anti-Tannenbaum guys are whining about.

That's fair enough, but can you pick another example? Those two guys were obviously Rex choices for better or worse. I can give you a list of UDFAs that the Jets have been using and nobody seems impressed because they weren't drafted. Guys like Devito, Cole, Pitoitua, Westerman, Cumberland, Mauga, Dixon and Conley. These guys have been contributing and contributing a ton. We'll see how Westerman does now that he is the starter, but it's not like the guy can't find UDFA talent. The replacements you are looking for are like Wilson, the same guys most anti-Tannenbaum guys are whining about.

Yeah, not quite sure I understood that one. DeVito in particular has turned into a fantastic player. Pouha deserves a mention as well, mostly because that extension a few years back has turned out to be one of his best moves ever and that one was a bit puzzling at the time.

Westerman's an interesting one. Everyone was ready to throw the towel in after that preseason, but he's played his balls off thus far.

Dude. Dude? Dude.

You don't like those guys? I admit that Devito is the only one of those guys that has proven anything as of yet, but you could credit him with the greatest player of all time, Danny Woodhead. Well, maybe second after the almighty himself, Wes Welker. I think Moore was from the prior administration. Name FAs apparently don't count, so I left them out. Do you honestly think this team has some talent deficiency? Other than the fact that with only the Hunter for Woody swap the line seems to have fallen off a cliff I think they are fine.

Yeah, not quite sure I understood that one. DeVito in particular has turned into a fantastic player. Pouha deserves a mention as well, mostly because that extension a few years back has turned out to be one of his best moves ever and that one was a bit puzzling at the time.

Westerman's an interesting one. Everyone was ready to throw the towel in after that preseason, but he's played his balls off thus far.

I think Westerman will be fine. He is a little smaller than Thomas so he may struggle some by comparison holding up tackles, but I think as an every down player he is decent. I think the problem is that he is not a designated pass rusher (hereinafer DPR). He is a high motor guy, but that isn't what the Jets want. They want actual pass rush, not just a guy that doesn't give up.

I'd throw Turner in as well if you're going that route.

Yeah. I thought about that. I guess I shouldn't have counted Dixon because he was with the Cowboys first.

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.

From the corner of the divan of Persian saddle-bags on which he was lying, smoking, as usual, innumerable cigarettes, Lord Henry Wotton could just catch the gleam of the honey-sweet and honey-colored blossoms of the laburnum, whose tremulous branches seemed hardly able to bear the burden of a beauty so flame-like as theirs; and now and then the fantastic shadows of birds in flight flitted across the long tussore-silk curtains that were stretched in front of the huge window, producing a kind of momentary Japanese effect, and making him think of those pallid jade-faced painters who, in an art that is necessarily immobile, seek to convey the sense of swiftness and motion. The sullen murmur of the bees shouldering their way through the long unmown grass, or circling with monotonous insistence round the black-crocketed spires of the early June hollyhocks, seemed to make the stillness more oppressive, and the dim roar of London was like the bourdon note of a distant organ.

In the centre of the room, clamped to an upright easel, stood the full-length portrait of a young man of extraordinary personal beauty, and in front of it, some little distance away, was sitting the artist himself, Basil Hallward, whose sudden disappearance some years ago caused, at the time, such public excitement, and gave rise to so many strange conjectures.

As he looked at the gracious and comely form he had so skilfully mirrored in his art, a smile of pleasure passed across his face, and seemed about to linger there. But he suddenly started up, and, closing his eyes, placed his fingers upon the lids, as though he sought to imprison within his brain some curious dream from which he

feared he might awake.

"It is your best work, Basil, the best thing you have ever done," said Lord Henry, languidly. "You must certainly send it next year to the Grosvenor. The Academy is too large and too vulgar. The Grosvenor is the only place."

"I don't think I will send it anywhere," he answered, tossing his head back in that odd way that used to make his friends laugh at him at Oxford. "No: I won't send it anywhere."

Lord Henry elevated his eyebrows, and looked at him in amazement through the thin blue wreaths of smoke that curled up in such fanciful whorls from his heavy opium-tainted cigarette. "Not send it anywhere? My dear fellow, why? Have you any reason? What odd chaps you painters are! You do anything in the world to gain a reputation. As soon as you have one, you seem to want to throw it away. It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. A portrait like this would set you far above all the young men in England, and make the old men quite jealous, if old men are ever capable of any emotion."

"I know you will laugh at me," he replied, "but I really can't exhibit it. I have put too much of myself into it."

Lord Henry stretched his long legs out on the divan and shook with laughter.

"Yes, I knew you would laugh; but it is quite true, all the same."

"Too much of yourself in it! Upon my word, Basil, I didn't know you were so vain; and I really can't see any resemblance between you, with your rugged strong face and your coal-black hair, and this young Adonis, who looks as if he was made of ivory and rose-leaves. Why, my dear Basil, he is a Narcissus, and you--well, of course you have an intellectual expression, and all that. But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself an exaggeration, and destroys the harmony of any face. The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and consequently he always looks absolutely delightful. Your mysterious young friend, whose name you have never told me, but whose picture really fascinates me, never thinks. I feel quite sure of that. He is a brainless, beautiful thing, who should be always here in winter when we have no flowers to look at, and always here in summer when we want something to chill our intelligence. Don't flatter yourself, Basil: you are not in the least like him."

Yea...I didnt bother reading any replies. This ain't my first rodeo. lol I've been getting housed by the mob since the vinny days, because I speak the truth, not the talking points.

There is more valor to this than ANY other possible 'Fire (someone)' thread. This team has been downgraded this year and that falls on one person. I see 50 replies. I'll guess not many people read it because it's too long, but I have to think that by the 20's the thread has gone awry. Yeah, someone's gotta say what needs to be said. It's been my pleasure for over a decade now, my friends.

Go Jets 20----15? lol

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.

From the corner of the divan of Persian saddle-bags on which he was lying, smoking, as usual, innumerable cigarettes, Lord Henry Wotton could just catch the gleam of the honey-sweet and honey-colored blossoms of the laburnum, whose tremulous branches seemed hardly able to bear the burden of a beauty so flame-like as theirs; and now and then the fantastic shadows of birds in flight flitted across the long tussore-silk curtains that were stretched in front of the huge window, producing a kind of momentary Japanese effect, and making him think of those pallid jade-faced painters who, in an art that is necessarily immobile, seek to convey the sense of swiftness and motion. The sullen murmur of the bees shouldering their way through the long unmown grass, or circling with monotonous insistence round the black-crocketed spires of the early June hollyhocks, seemed to make the stillness more oppressive, and the dim roar of London was like the bourdon note of a distant organ.

In the centre of the room, clamped to an upright easel, stood the full-length portrait of a young man of extraordinary personal beauty, and in front of it, some little distance away, was sitting the artist himself, Basil Hallward, whose sudden disappearance some years ago caused, at the time, such public excitement, and gave rise to so many strange conjectures.

As he looked at the gracious and comely form he had so skilfully mirrored in his art, a smile of pleasure passed across his face, and seemed about to linger there. But he suddenly started up, and, closing his eyes, placed his fingers upon the lids, as though he sought to imprison within his brain some curious dream from which he

feared he might awake.

"It is your best work, Basil, the best thing you have ever done," said Lord Henry, languidly. "You must certainly send it next year to the Grosvenor. The Academy is too large and too vulgar. The Grosvenor is the only place."

"I don't think I will send it anywhere," he answered, tossing his head back in that odd way that used to make his friends laugh at him at Oxford. "No: I won't send it anywhere."

Lord Henry elevated his eyebrows, and looked at him in amazement through the thin blue wreaths of smoke that curled up in such fanciful whorls from his heavy opium-tainted cigarette. "Not send it anywhere? My dear fellow, why? Have you any reason? What odd chaps you painters are! You do anything in the world to gain a reputation. As soon as you have one, you seem to want to throw it away. It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. A portrait like this would set you far above all the young men in England, and make the old men quite jealous, if old men are ever capable of any emotion."

"I know you will laugh at me," he replied, "but I really can't exhibit it. I have put too much of myself into it."

Lord Henry stretched his long legs out on the divan and shook with laughter.

"Yes, I knew you would laugh; but it is quite true, all the same."

"Too much of yourself in it! Upon my word, Basil, I didn't know you were so vain; and I really can't see any resemblance between you, with your rugged strong face and your coal-black hair, and this young Adonis, who looks as if he was made of ivory and rose-leaves. Why, my dear Basil, he is a Narcissus, and you--well, of course you have an intellectual expression, and all that. But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself an exaggeration, and destroys the harmony of any face. The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and consequently he always looks absolutely delightful. Your mysterious young friend, whose name you have never told me, but whose picture really fascinates me, never thinks. I feel quite sure of that. He is a brainless, beautiful thing, who should be always here in winter when we have no flowers to look at, and always here in summer when we want something to chill our intelligence. Don't flatter yourself, Basil: you are not in the least like him."

+1 Oscar Wilde FTW

Yea...I didnt bother reading any replies. This ain't my first rodeo. lol I've been getting housed by the mob since the vinny days, because I speak the truth, not the talking points.

There is more valor to this than ANY other possible 'Fire (someone)' thread. This team has been downgraded this year and that falls on one person. I see 50 replies. I'll guess not many people read it because it's too long, but I have to think that by the 20's the thread has gone awry. Yeah, someone's gotta say what needs to be said. It's been my pleasure for over a decade now, my friends.

Go Jets 20----15? lol

Well that works well.

No one reads your crap, and you don't read anyone else's.

I like what happened here.

I think you need to take a year off from the Jets, or the cocaine that you are injecting. You're logic is flawed. Tannenbaum has assembled a Super Bowl team. It's up to the coaches and players to execute at this point. You can't build dream teams like your argument is suggesting. See Philadelphia

Let's get this straight. Tanny was Parcell's capologist and and as GM generally has the final say (Woody can always over rule him). He has managed the cap well and kept the Jets in a position to maneuver when necessary or desired. Generally its the coaching staff and scouts who evaluate players and Tanny executes based upon those evaluations. Does anyone really believe that he goes in directions against Rex's wishes?

This is not the Philly front office where the Coach dictates the moves and is GM in actuality, or New England where Hoodie is king.

tanny has done very well in the draft - judging against perfection is unreasonable. the major indictment here is hermesque inattention to both lines. don't know enough about jets org to know who is to blame but rex's obsession with cb's has a role. you can't have studs everywhere have to pick your poison

tanny has done very well in the draft - judging against perfection is unreasonable. the major indictment here is hermesque inattention to both lines. don't know enough about jets org to know who is to blame but rex's obsession with cb's has a role. you can't have studs everywhere have to pick your poison

LOL. What? This could not possibly be any less true. Let's just take a look, shall we:

DL: Drafted DL with the Jets' first two picks in this year's draft, one of whom is currently a starter. Having UDFAs he was responsible for bringing in play serious roles on the line (DeVito as a starter and Pitoitua as a backup, as well as MTV now too). Re-signed Pouha to an extension when he was still an absolute nobody, and has now been the team's starter at NT for the better part of the past 3 seasons. Also picked up Dixon off of waivers last year who has been one of the first guy's off the bench for the Jets the past 2 years.

OL: Was responsible for drafting Brick and Mangold, as well as signing both to long-term extensions last year. Signed Faneca as the team's LG until ultimatley replacing him with Slauson, a 6th round pick he made and the team developed to take over the starting job. Signed Damien Woody to a contract that he was ripped for at the time because Woody wasn't a "real RT", which turned out to be a fantastic signing while he was here. He also brought in Hunter who did a great job filling in for an injured Woody last year and while he had a rough start to the season, is still the team's starting RT (and has definitely played much better the last couple of games). While it hasn't worked out, he also drafted what was supposed to be Woody's eventual replacement last year in the 2nd round in Vlad. That one may not have worked out, but it certainly wasn't due to a lack of trying. So considering the Jets had what was considered by many the best OL in the league through last season, and Moore is the only guy Tanny wasn't resposible for bringing in, I can't even begin to understand this one.

There are a whole ton of things you can criticize Tanny for, but lack of addressing the lines is probably the last thing in the world any reasonable person could accuse him of. The lines have gotten more attention than just about any position on the Jets, with the exception of perhaps CB. You want to talk about inattention to a position, go look at the Jets' safeties and then think about that again.

LOL. What? This could not possibly be any less true. Let's just take a look, shall we:

DL: Drafted DL with the Jets' first two picks in this year's draft, one of whom is currently a starter. Having UDFAs he was responsible for bringing in play serious roles on the line (DeVito as a starter and Pitoitua as a backup, as well as MTV now too). Re-signed Pouha to an extension when he was still an absolute nobody, and has now been the team's starter at NT for the better part of the past 3 seasons. Also picked up Dixon off of waivers last year who has been one of the first guy's off the bench for the Jets the past 2 years.

OL: Was responsible for drafting Brick and Mangold, as well as signing both to long-term extensions last year. Signed Faneca as the team's LG until ultimatley replacing him with Slauson, a 6th round pick he made and the team developed to take over the starting job. Signed Damien Woody to a contract that he was ripped for at the time because Woody wasn't a "real RT", which turned out to be a fantastic signing while he was here. He also brought in Hunter who did a great job filling in for an injured Woody last year and while he had a rough start to the season, is still the team's starting RT (and has definitely played much better the last couple of games). While it hasn't worked out, he also drafted what was supposed to be Woody's eventual replacement last year in the 2nd round in Vlad. That one may not have worked out, but it certainly wasn't due to a lack of trying. So considering the Jets had what was considered by many the best OL in the league through last season, and Moore is the only guy Tanny wasn't resposible for bringing in, I can't even begin to understand this one.

There are a whole ton of things you can criticize Tanny for, but lack of addressing the lines is probably the last thing in the world any reasonable person could accuse him of. The lines have gotten more attention than just about any position on the Jets, with the exception of perhaps CB. You want to talk about inattention to a position, go look at the Jets' safeties and then think about that again.

this year no reason not to bring in help while young guys matured with 8 mill in cap space.

I just want to know why he is stitting on $8,000,000 in cap space

super mario ?

cuz if you basically throw this season away,(letting edwards and smith go, cotchery, don't bother to sign any o-line help when internet posters know you are thin) you better have a blockbuster in mind

This is really what I'm wondering. Why are we sitting with so much cap space.....

There gets to a point where Rexs' schemes won't make up for the lack of talent. It's starting too come. We need a pass rusher ASAP.

this year no reason not to bring in help while young guys matured with 8 mill in cap space.

This is really what I'm wondering. Why are we sitting with so much cap space.....

There gets to a point where Rexs' schemes won't make up for the lack of talent. It's starting too come. We need a pass rusher ASAP.

Some of those contracts this past offseason have low cap hits in year 1, to leave room in case that prom queen Asosucka agreed to let us pay him 8 figures a year. He'll front-load more of it if we don't trade for any name players before the deadline. Particularly someone like Harris who has a cap number befitting a franchise QB each of the next 2 seasons.

Damn that Tanny for drafting Mangold, Ferguson, Sanchez and Revis. It's all HIS fault! LOL

Again, we're giving lifetime acheivement awards? Rex got us to the AFC championship 2 years already, who cares wht he does this year, right?

Yeah, shotty was brilliant, but he forgot to slam the door. There's no question tht we are a worse team before the ball is snapped. That's on Tan, sorry.

BTW are you implying there that Sanchez is good? alright! (or was that just for padding? lol)

Oh no Max, not at all an attempt at satire. Why would you lock it? True "fire" may be harsh, but "fire" is our way of saying...it's his fault, and that's exactly what I'm saying. Max, I don't get why my handle carries this negative stigma. I guess it goes back to Ratliff lol IDK , Max I just call it like I see it. I'm sincere. I'm no troll, so if you think Tanny did NOT **** up this offseason by mutilating our offense and ignoring the pass rush then tell me why, right? Sounds like a healthy discussion. I fired my shots already, and this whole thing about was watching Brad Smith rip off 18 yards, using OUR PLAY--that I'm sure we'll see! WTF was the rationale behind giving a whole dimension of our offense to Buffalo----when it isn't financial. What are playing Monopoly? No satire here. Just football analysis, man. Tell me that is not legimitate. Why do that? lol

haha Seriously, sine last year, I stuck up for Revis, Schotty, and Sanchez, not popular at all...but wow Tanny is a made guy, I guess?

It's frustrating to see guys like Jake Ballard step up and make plays, while we have guys like Matt Mulligan who dont even know how to line up.

Yeah, it's just a shame the Jets have never used a late round guy pick to get a guy like that or say oh, I don't know, Joel Dreessen out in Houston. Imagine what the great Brian Schottenheimer would do with a guy like that on the team.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Well that works well.

No one reads your crap, and you don't read anyone else's.

I like what happened here.

??? WTF is your problem, bro? Ratliff? My stupid posts? Come on, you do know how silly it is to reply to my thread to tell me "no one reads your crap." lol 61 replies says differently..for or against or just to say 'I am really not reading this' ---- I still bring in the numbers that's why I'm around. Unlike some guys who are just reactionary flame-throwers. Let's all just play our role and relax. lmao

I'm not sure there's one single thing in that post that's actually correct. Which is pretty funny considering there's a number of legitimate things to criticize Tanny for, you just managed not to mention a single one of them.

He just reminded me why I gave you your role in the JI/JN game

??? WTF is your problem, bro? Ratliff? My stupid posts? Come on, you do know how silly it is to reply to my thread to tell me "no one reads your crap." lol 61 replies says differently..for or against or just to say 'I am really not reading this' ---- I still bring in the numbers that's why I'm around. Unlike some guys who are just reactionary flame-throwers. Let's all just play our role and relax. lmao

Guilty by association. I've probably been the biggest Tannenbaum critic here for the last two years. And "Lance Mehl is also part of my username. So we are bound to be tied together as "those two Tanny haters" and likely will be confused with one another when it comes to our posts. For the record...I think Tanny is a company man who likes to make Woody happy by selling his PSL's through the newspapers, ie: Big splashy names over a solid draft/development approach. Also, he's an accountant.

Archived