Rex Ryan says he would have earned 'a couple rings' if hired by Chargers in 2007

THE ILK

That's what I figured. What if he goes 7-9 this year? Hot seat then? If the season continues like it's going (which would result in a 7 or 8 win season) do you guys want to pursue a quarterback early in next year's draft?

Personally, I think it'd be a mistake to pass on a Robert Griffen or Brandon Weeden in the middle of the first just because you have Mark Sanchez.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Rex,

Keep doing what you're doing. Never seen my team play better than they have under you. We got to a championship game with one of the suckiest rookie QB's ever. We got back there again, with a playoff win on the road in New England, and got to rub it in their faces. You are the reason this franchise is relevant again. Haters will hate, winners will win. You are a winner. Thanks Rex.

Dear Rex,

Keep doing what you're doing. Never seen my team play better than they have under you. We got to a championship game with one of the suckiest rookie QB's ever. We got back there again, with a playoff win on the road in New England, and got to rub it in their faces. You are the reason this franchise is relevant again. Haters will hate, winners will win. You are a winner. Thanks Rex.

We've seen this year before Rex got here. Crippling disappointment like in 69,80,83,96,99,00,04,05,07,08.

People are entitled to their opinions, but I think it's stupid to laud him for his style when things are going well and crap on the exact same style and bravado when things aren't going so well. All that really changes is your perception of the team.

very true.. but there are some of us who were never really fans of the bravado..

re:hot seat.. I think it's moot, most likely these guys are tied to sanchez, if he falls apart over the next two seasons, rex will probably go

That's what I figured. What if he goes 7-9 this year? Hot seat then? If the season continues like it's going (which would result in a 7 or 8 win season) do you guys want to pursue a quarterback early in next year's draft?

Personally, I think it'd be a mistake to pass on a Robert Griffen or Brandon Weeden in the middle of the first just because you have Mark Sanchez.

What are you saying? I can't understand Dolphin troll; Troll.

very true.. but there are some of us who were never really fans of the bravado..

re:hot seat.. I think it's moot, most likely these guys are tied to sanchez, if he falls apart over the next two seasons, rex will probably go

Like I've said before, Rex and Tanny know this and if things don't turn around by season's end, I would be shocked if the Jets didn't sneak in a mid-round QB come April to start developing along with McElroy. It's not a bad idea for the team regardless, plus it's the one thing that could save their asses if Sanchez doesn't work out but one of them does. Of course, if he's a dumb enough sh*t to keep Schotty around it won't matter anyway, but that's besides the point. Outside of complete and utter failure down the stretch this year (and I'm talking real bad, not just missing the playoffs), Rex easily has another year before there's any real "hot seat" to worry about.

norv turner fired back with.

“I hadn’t seen his quote and I was a little bit surprised by the call,” Turner said. “And then after I saw the quote, I didn’t have a chance to ask him this, but I was wondering if he had those rings with the ones he’s guaranteed the last couple of years.”

and Rex deserves that shot. I don't care if its about Rich Kotite, it is totally classless to say something like that.

Like I've said before, Rex and Tanny know this and if things don't turn around by season's end, I would be shocked if the Jets didn't sneak in a mid-round QB come April to start developing along with McElroy. It's not a bad idea for the team regardless, plus it's the one thing that could save their asses if Sanchez doesn't work out but one of them does. Of course, if he's a dumb enough sh*t to keep Schotty around it won't matter anyway, but that's besides the point. Outside of complete and utter failure down the stretch this year (and I'm talking real bad, not just missing the playoffs), Rex easily has another year before there's any real "hot seat" to worry about.

Your posts seem so. Short.

“I hadn’t seen his quote and I was a little bit surprised by the call,” Turner said. “And then after I saw the quote, I didn’t have a chance to ask him this, but I was wondering if he had those rings with the ones he’s guaranteed the last couple of years.”

Did Norv really say this? It's the perfect response and I'm totally on his side, you know until Sunday at 1PM anyway...

He dissed Sanchez? He didn't mention QBs at all. He mentioned their entire roster, which was completely stacked when Norv took over.

And he's right, Norv sucks and a good coach would have won at least one SB with that roster by now.

Still completely tasteless to say that about a contemporary.

Still completely tasteless to say that about a contemporary.

Not it's not. He happens to be correct. Norv is a terrible coach and always has been. His teams in SD have been notorious slow starters because he is incompetent at preparation and they routinely fold in the postseason.

If Rex had said, "if I was coaching the Pats for the last seven years Brady would have a couple more rings" you might have a point but he's talking about perhaps the worst coach in the NFL.

Just shut up. You're really not allowed to talk until your team wins a game.

If I were a mod, I'd ban you until the Dolphins won a game. It would be quite some time until you were able to post here again my friend.

some of you seem to forget that football is entertainment... I'll take the fat funny coach over the monotone drone any day.

The last couple years have been far and away the most entertaining I've seen in the 25 years I've been a fan. Have you forgotten we're the Jets?

**** a Norv Turner...

Did Norv really say this? It's the perfect response and I'm totally on his side, you know until Sunday at 1PM anyway...

When Norv Turner gets the last laugh... you know your in trouble.

I guarantee Rex gave Norv the line. No way roof shingle came up with that himself.

Doubtful... even the most comedically challenged could have come up with that.

Rex needs to give it a rest.

The only thing on his mind right now should be 3-and-outs. How to get our defense to force more of them... and how to get our offense to stop repeatedly having them.

He dissed Sanchez? He didn't mention QBs at all. He mentioned their entire roster, which was completely stacked when Norv took over.

And he's right, Norv sucks and a good coach would have won at least one SB with that roster by now.

why am i not that surprised that klacko's analysis of this is a shallow as an ashtray

..obv.. he was saying that he could've ade thier defense top 5 which when paied with a top 5 offense, would give them a high probability of winning a sb

some of you seem to forget that football is entertainment... I'll take the fat funny coach over the monotone drone any day.

The last couple years have been far and away the most entertaining I've seen in the 25 years I've been a fan. Have you forgotten we're the Jets?

**** a Norv Turner...

I think it's classless, but amusing.. it doesn't really effect me

I think Rex is a genius. I may be wrong, but I truly think he said something this bizarre to keep Sanchez out the media, to keep Holmes' criticism out media and have them focus personally on him. Just my opinion.

But this is Rex for ya whether you guys like it or not. Five years from now, he will probably be saying the same sh*t, and I love it. I wouldn't trade him for any coach. Get used to it guys.

You all are worse than the media itself. Harping all over each and every thing our head coach says to the media. He said nothing wrong, he's just the type of person who speaks his mind. and there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

You give Rex Ryan a SD Chargers offense of 2007, with the overall knowledge that he has of the defensive side of the ball... And he WOULD HAVE won a ring or two with those guys as head coach. It's been SD's head coach who's held them back over the years.

He's led us to the AFC Championship Game during consecutive seasons for the first time in franchise history. #1 rated defense in 2009 and top 5 last year. Keep being yourself Rex, who cares if a bunch of complaining fans calls you a moron, idiot, dope or tells you to shut the **** up. Keep being yourself, they have no idea how stressful it is being a head coach. Who the F cares if he makes light of situations and has a good time while doing so? This man is ONE HELL of a football coach. His act will never get old to me, because he believes in this team and has been the best thing our franchise has seen since Bill Parcells.

Your blind homerism never ceases to fail. For two years he's promised us rings and they are nowhere to be found. He needs to cut it out and stfu for a change.

I think Rex is a genius. I may be wrong, but I truly think he said something this bizarre to keep Sanchez out the media, to keep Holmes' criticism out media and have them focus personally on him. Just my opinion.

But this is Rex for ya whether you guys like it or not. Five years from now, he will probably be saying the same sh*t, and I love it. I wouldn't trade him for any coach. Get used to it guys.

Originally Posted by Kotch viewpost.gif

Rex's genius is setting and controlling the media narrative EACH AND EVERY WEEK. He uses this as motivation for his players, and does it better than any coach I've ever seen.

Read this:

http://deadspin.com/5736740/the-mean...-trash+talking

And also this:

http://deadspin.com/5850939/rex-ryan-drinking-buddy

Rex might get beat on the X's and O's some weeks, but as long as he's guy "Rex Ryan Guys" who are running through brick walls for him week in and week out we'll be okay.

Archived