Has Sanchez turned the corner?

BaltimoreJet

17th in Passer Rating

26th in Completion %

23rd in Yards/attempt

22nd in Yard/game

29th in Total Offense

22nd in Passing Offense

...I was hoping for a little more in his 3rd year.

QB's get too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when they don't.

There are a lot of problems on offense in the Jets organization, and it starts with Brian Schottenheimer and Matt Cavanaugh, neither of whom do I have any confidence in. Bill Callahan gets treated like some sort of god around here, but the OL has had some serious problems this season, and the running game continues to struggle - despite the re-commitment to it.

I also think that even if this offense was doing everything right according to the philosophy of the coaches (Rex right on down), that the stats would still be pretty pedestrian. The offense is here to serve the defense. Control the clock, win the field position battle. Points are often an afterthought, and getting large chunks of yards in a single play goes against the idea of keeping the defense off the field.

Mark's biggest issue is the bone-headed turnovers. He can learn not to make those. He may never be elite, but I definitely believe he can be very good.

Needs more stats

He's most definitely heading in the right dirrection. He's improved each and every season since being drafted into the league. He survived his rookie season after only 1 year of college starting experience with USC, he avoided the sophmore slump last year, and he's breaking out during his 3rd year in the league this season. It doesn't get much better than that when developing a franchise QB.

Outside of the Ravens game? He's gone 138/224, 1,656 yards (236.5 yards per game), a completion percentage of 62.1%, 13 TD's/6 INT's; with a QB rating of 92.8 against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Raiders, Patriots, Dolphins, Chargers and Bills. You can't forget about his 64 rushing yards and two rushing TD's either. You won't find a 3rd year QB with better numbers than those. He's most definitely on pace to finish with a QB rating of 90+ during his 3rd year.

Combine his numbers this year, with his 6 career playoff games, where he's gone 4-2 on the road, while throwing for 95/157, 1,155 yards, 60.5%, 9 TD's/3 INT's with a QB rating of 94.3 during 6 career postseason games? And it doesn't get much better than that. This kid is a winner. Only 5 quarterbacks have a postseason career QB rating that ranks higher than Sanchez' playoff performances. Aaron Rodgers. Bart Starr. Kurt Warner. Drew Bress and Joe Montana. Simply amazing. This kid has ice water running through his veins during pressure pressure situations; he's always came up CLUTCH. You can't teach that.

But his performance of this year runs much deeper than just statistics alone this season. He's on the verge of breaking out this year, as a 3rd year quarterback, while losing Braylon, Cotchery, Smith, Richardson and Woody during a shortened offseason, while being replaced with a rusty Burress who was away from the game for going on 3 years, an over the hill Mason who was later released, a rookie Kerley, a 2nd year FB in Conner, as well as a RT in Hunter who's struggled during the first 5 weeks of the season. Not to mention the fact that our run game struggled early on, Mangold was out for 2+ games, and Sanchez was forced to QB under center with a 3rd string center in Baxter for 2+ weeks. To make it worse, Baxter's a rookie who wasn't even with the Jets during the offseason.

But yet, these little negative critics wanna look at "completion percentage" as a way to harp all over one of the best young QB's in the game today. :rl:

I can't totally argue with that.

However Sanchez does come through when we need him to. I think a lot of people expect him to be the next great QB, and to be honest I don't think he ever will be. What I do think he will be is "good enough." A guy who won't be considered one of the best, but a guy you can still win a championship with.

Sort of like what Phil Simms was.

Or Eli Manning. How quickly we forget that Giants fans wanted to run him out of town for the first four years he was here. I have Giants fan friends who still think he sucks a$$ despite the SB win. Some consider hime elite now (not me) but he still throws boneheaded interceptions, like in the Pats game after which he was getting his knob gobbled by all the "experts".

Santonio Holmes has 25 catches, 340 yards and 4 TDs.

Steve Smith has 46 catches, 918 yards and 4 TDs.

Whoa, I say.

Smith is much better than Holmes. That's all there is to it. If Holmes is so amazing then where is his production?

You can point to a few circus catches like the one in the Superbowl, only 1 season of 1,000 yards+... that's it. And it's not as if he's consistently approaching that statistic but falling short, because he only has 1 season between 900-1000.

Steve Smith had 5 1,000 yard receiving seasons and will have his sixth this year.

Steve Smith has 12 TD's one year, Holmes will never hit double digits.

He's a good #2 receiver, that's it.

Our definitions of good must be different. Even excluding the Balt game, he had long stretches of looking completely inept, like the first halves of sd, for instance.

I guess what he's saying is by the "end" of the SD game he wasnt too bad.

3 TD's 1 INT and an 87 QB Rating. The kid came up big in the second half if thats the case.

He's also has 1 multi INT game this year, though he's thrown an INT in every game except 2. This is still a step up for him though. The kid is coming around, and to show that. Sanchez has thrown a TD in every game excluding baltimore and also has 5 multi TD games.

Read this in the FLGreen's JETS News 11-9 thread.

Excerpt:

But Sanchez has become less-mistake prone since the shift back to Ground & Pound in Week 5. Since losing to the Patriots in Week 5, Sanchez has posted the second-highest passer rating (94.7) in the AFC. Check it out:

Quarterback ---- Rate --- Pct. --- Yds --- TD --- INT

Roethlisberger .. 104.6 ... 64.5 ... 1,484 ... 12 ... 3

Sanchez .............. 94.7 .... 60.7 .... 770 ..... 7 .... 2

Dalton ................. 92.6 .... 64.7 .... 828 ..... 8 .... 3

Brady ................... 88.3 .... 65.2 .... 1,150 .. 7 .... 5

Fitzpatrick ........... 86.5 .... 67.8 ..... 890 .... 6 .... 6

I can't totally argue with that.

However Sanchez does come through when we need him to. I think a lot of people expect him to be the next great QB, and to be honest I don't think he ever will be. What I do think he will be is "good enough." A guy who won't be considered one of the best, but a guy you can still win a championship with.

Sort of like what Phil Simms was.

Actually he comes thru when the rest of the team plays stellar. If the running game is working, the defense is dominating and the special teams is getting him some of the best starting field position then he is a good QB but still prone to boneheaded mistakes.

Excerpt:

But Sanchez has become less-mistake prone since the shift back to Ground & Pound in Week 5. Since losing to the Patriots in Week 5, Sanchez has posted the second-highest passer rating (94.7) in the AFC. Check it out:

Wow, seeing the stats all laid out really shows how Brady has been slipping lately.

Where does Rivers stand?

Santonio Holmes has 25 catches, 340 yards and 4 TDs.

Steve Smith has 46 catches, 918 yards and 4 TDs.

Whoa, I say.

Smith is much better than Holmes. That's all there is to it. If Holmes is so amazing then where is his production?

You can point to a few circus catches like the one in the Superbowl, only 1 season of 1,000 yards+... that's it. And it's not as if he's consistently approaching that statistic but falling short, because he only has 1 season between 900-1000.

Steve Smith had 5 1,000 yard receiving seasons and will have his sixth this year.

Steve Smith has 12 TD's one year, Holmes will never hit double digits.

He's a good #2 receiver, that's it.

You know, I was watching some midway top performers show and they were showing Steve Smith. The dude is awesome. He might be better than Holmes.

But he's been the only weapon on that team for a long time. Holmes hasnt been the #1 option until he joined the Jets. Its hard to judge just on production.

Excerpt:

That's pretty damn good!

Excerpt:

Not a big fan of the passer rating system. Sanchez has his good looking number based purely on his TD:int ratio. Which is nice, but kind of arbitrary. If one of those TD's were another ugly pick in the endzone, he doesn't make this list. His comp % and YPA are still much lower than they need to be.

Not a big fan of the passer rating system. Sanchez has his good looking number based purely on his TD:int ratio. Which is nice, but kind of arbitrary. If one of those TD's were another ugly pick in the endzone, he doesn't make this list. His comp % and YPA are still much lower than they need to be.

Yeah, he threw three short TD's against SD which Greene could've just as easily run in (perhaps).. THis isn't to knock him, but it's always better to look at what happens on most of his passes, rather then the 5% that end up as td's and int's..

Again, sanchez has played better, I just don't see him as being second in the afc during that run

Manning and Brady got alot of their TDs that way also. If one of those INT's were another TD, his rating is better. This goes both ways. Sanchez is an average QB. He's not great, but he's not bad either. All QBs struggle when they have pressure. Look at Rivers, everyone said he was great. His receivers are hurt and his O-line is banged up. He looks worse than Sanchez, but he has been considered an ELITE QB the past 3 yrs.

Manning and Brady got alot of their TDs that way also. If one of those INT's were another TD, his rating is better. This goes both ways. Sanchez is an average QB. He's not great, but he's not bad either. All QBs struggle when they have pressure. Look at Rivers, everyone said he was great. His receivers are hurt and his O-line is banged up. He looks worse than Sanchez, but he has been considered an ELITE QB the past 3 yrs.

I'm a pro-Sanchez guy. I'm just not a fan of the QBR system.

If Sanchez had a quality QBR based on completions and yards, I'd probably feel better about the number.

I'm a pro-Sanchez guy. I'm just not a fan of the QBR system.

If Sanchez had a quality QBR based on completions and yards, I'd probably feel better about the number.

haha, yeah that QBR system rating is garbage. Maybe they can tweek it mean something after 5 yrs, but right now it's a joke.

I feel like Sanchez gets too much criticism and is considered awful when he's not. But he will never be Rogers, Manning, or Brady either. Not many QBs are.

Yeah but it wasn't a pick and he made the list that too at #2 in the AFC.

Conversely if the TD:INT ratio was not good a lot of people would be using that to show us how awful he is.

Archived