Matt Flynn

Integrity28

I know everyone wants Peyton. Sure. Me too.

Realistically though, its not happening. What could happen though is that we don't quit on Sanchez, but we go out and bring in someone with youth, talent and promise to compete with Sanchez. This way. When Sanchez is throwing games away for us... we can bench him.

Oh, and its a given that both QBs will be working with a brand new OC. Preferably hired from the Saints or Packers staff... or perhaps Andy Reid or Norv Turner will be looking for jobs next year.

Anyway, Flynn would be a good fit as a 1B quarterback for us. We actually only have 1 QB on our roster right now... its sad. Horrible job by Tannenbaum.

Realistically though, its not happening. What could happen though is that we don't quit on Sanchez, but we go out and bring in someone with youth, talent and promise to compete with Sanchez. This way. When Sanchez is throwing games away for us... we can bench him.

Oh, and its a given that both QBs will be working with a brand new OC. Preferably hired from the Saints or Packers staff... or perhaps Andy Reid or Norv Turner will be looking for jobs next year.

Anyway, Flynn would be a good fit as a 1B quarterback for us. We actually only have 1 QB on our roster right now... its sad. Horrible job by Tannenbaum.

lol, are they bringing thier QB with them, or do you really think those teams are coordinated better? haha

lol, are they bringing thier QB with them, or do you really think those teams are coordinated better? haha

When did your perspective on this become so shallow?

Anyway, raiding successful team's coaching staffs has long been the way of the NFL. Its not like we can just grab McCarthy and Rodgers, so we take their promising backup, put him on the field with our promising 3rd year guy... and let one of their top offensive minds install a different system. Let the best player start.

Schotty, Sanchez, Brunell is nowhere nears as good as Sanchez, a new backup with promise and a new OC from one of the top offensenses in football. I think that much is a given.

Heck we can't even bench Sanchez.

I've said the same thing before about Flynn, if the price is right. He's far from a guarantee to be a legit starter, but he's certainly got some upside and showed a lot of promise in his limited playing time. If there's not a lot of cost involved and the Jets can't get themselves a proven starter, I think it would be a good move, and then just let it come down to competition. As far as McElroy, I don't see any reason to not put him in the mix next year as well. I know the issue is arm strength, but as bad as it seemed in the first preseason game he played, there's no question his throws were looking a lot better after that game, so I'm not sure how much of a major issue it would be, and I'm curious to see how he responds to a full year in an NFL training regimen. Especially being on IR, you're talking about a guy who's doing nothing but working out and studying his playbook for an entire year. Of course it doesn't mean it will make a difference but at this point there's no reason not to give him a chance in camp next year to find out. When the Jets get themselves a new OC, they should make sure that guy has plenty of options and can build his offense the way he wants. Not automatically shackling him with Sanchez will go a long way towards that.

Having Brunell as a backup is a really terrible coaching decision. If Mark is so fragile then he should move in with the QB coach. If he got hurt Game 2, the season would have been over then. When he is out there sucking I think about Brunell and realize that he would probably suck more.

Mine? You're dumb enough to point out that we should take the OC's from the best QB's in football, completely ignoring the fact that the QB's are 100% responsible for their success

Anyway, raiding successful team's coaching staffs has long been the way of the NFL.

Yes, and that's worked so well in the past. Coslet, walton, kotite, Herm, mangina.. and that's just the Jets..

We need to either be patient with Sanchez and hope he shows enough to think he'll continue to evolve into the real deal or get another qb

I like Matt Flynn. Would make a great addition. Have to agree with most of you on the job Tanny did getting a QB that could at least theoretically challenge Mark when he faltered...and we've a lot of that this year. Brunnel brings nothing as a player...just an overpaid coach/cheerleader.

Mine? You're dumb enough to point out that we should take the OC's from the best QB's in football, completely ignoring the fact that the QB's are 100% responsible for their success

Yes, and that's worked so well in the past. Coslet, walton, kotite, Herm, mangina.. and that's just the Jets..

We need to either be patient with Sanchez and hope he shows enough to think he'll continue to evolve into the real deal or get another qb

IMO...Mark would benefit from another veteran QB on the roster...someone that could make him think the Jets could go another direction. Right now he knows he's the QB of the recent past, the present, and the future. Much too easy to become complacent.

Dumb would have been suggesting that we just go to Green Bay, throw a sack over Aaron Rodgers and kidnap him.... I'm suggesting installing a new offense, and bringing in a young, promising QB who knows the system we install to compete with Sanchez. Not having a 2nd QB on the roster could be costing us the playoffs. We bench Sanchez last week and this week and we might be having an entirely different conversation... ****, all we needed was someone to convert a couple 3rd downs, and we probably win both games.

Sanchez sucks. So does Schotty. However, we aren't getting rid of both. We've gone through 4 QBs without switching the OC. Its time for a different approach to fixing the problem.

There's not a single part of me that disagrees with you about bringing in a great QB... however, other teams kinda don't let go of their meal tickets. So, instead, I'm suggesting this... because I don't plan on spending the next 8 months carrying on like a tit about Manning to the Jets. Which won't happen.

Anyway, raiding successful team's coaching staffs has long been the way of the NFL. Its not like we can just grab McCarthy and Rodgers, so we take their promising backup, put him on the field with our promising 3rd year guy... and let one of their top offensive minds install a different system. Let the best player start.

Schotty, Sanchez, Brunell is nowhere nears as good as Sanchez, a new backup with promise and a new OC from one of the top offensenses in football. I think that much is a given.

Heck we can't even bench Sanchez.

Worked so well when we did it with the Chargers.

Also, what's the difference between the Packers or Saints system and what your imagine our system to be?

Bring in a stiff like Jason Campbell and spend a third on a developmental prospect. If Sanchez turns it around, you didn't spend too much on expendable replacements. If Sanchez sucks, you start Campbell at midseason and elevate the drafted kid to #2. Then, trade Sanchez in the 2012/13 off-season to the Raiders.

Boom.

Worked so well when we did it with the Chargers.

Also, what's the difference between the Packers or Saints system and what your imagine our system to be?

NFL coaching staff poaching happens, always. Nobody said its guaranteed successful. However, I'd rather take one of Sean Payton's underlings, than Cam Cameron's. sh*t, the Baltimore offense has the same split personality as ours.

What's the difference? Honestly, Schotty wouldn't be involved and we'd have a 2nd QB options if/when Sanchez fails.

Look...

Schotty + Sanchez + Brunell = No offense, no wins, no alternatives

Sanchez + different OC + 2nd QB option = maybe an offense, maybe more wins, if Sanchez sucks, the season's not over

That is all I'm saying.

****. For as much bitching as Jets fans do... its so ironic how averse to change they are.

i want manning

Heh. Who sounds dumb now. Like a bratty kid in the aisles of toys R us throwing a tantrum.

Honestly though, so do I. LOL

Pretty much everyone in the NFL does, unless they root for the Pats, Packers or Saints. That's besides the point.

I tried starting a reasonable conversation about a Plan B, or C... or even J. Obviously Manning is plan A.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

You see? I'm just ahead of the curve... :P

Bump.

You see? I'm just ahead of the curve... :tongue:

Who would the Jets be more likely to get, Flynn or Manning? Considering Flynn is a UFA, there will probably be a big bidding war for his services. A bidding war I don't think the Jets could realistically come out on top of. So, let's go back to Manning, I thought he hated our franchise just as much as Brady? Wasn't there a whole fiasco back when Manning was getting drafted that he publicly stated he would never wanna come to the Jets? Would his opinion change now? Are the Colts willing the trade him away?

I think the more likely scenario is we draft a 2nd tier QB, or pick one up in FA, especially with the amount of money we still have tied to Sanchez and the fact that the Jets FO won't give up on him yet.

Who would the Jets be more likely to get, Flynn or Manning? Considering Flynn is a UFA, there will probably be a big bidding war for his services. A bidding war I don't think the Jets could realistically come out on top of. So, let's go back to Manning, I thought he hated our franchise just as much as Brady? Wasn't there a whole fiasco back when Manning was getting drafted that he publicly stated he would never wanna come to the Jets? Would his opinion change now? Are the Colts willing the trade him away?

I think the more likely scenario is we draft a 2nd tier QB, or pick one up in FA, especially with the amount of money we still have tied to Sanchez and the fact that the Jets FO won't give up on him yet.

Manning won't be a Jet.

Even if his health rebounds 100% and there's no risk in bringing him here... we'll **** it up. I promise.

Bump.

You see? I'm just ahead of the curve... :tongue:

And I've been saying it even longer than you have, so don't hurt yourself too much patting yourself on the back, douchey. :-P

In all honesty though, while the game he just had has that many more people supporting the idea, it also makes it that much less likely of a possibility to happen. The kid probably just earned himself a nice sized contract and a starting job somewhere, and more likely than not, the Jets won't be offering that. A couple of months back getting him for a mid-level contract to go into a camp competition seemed pretty reasonable, but not anymore, and I can't see the Jets willing to do any more than that, barring the availability of a proven player at QB (e.g., Manning).

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggests the Packers placing the franchise tag on impending free agent Matt Flynn is a realistic possibility, with the intent being to trade Flynn after he signs the one-year tender.

The one-year tender will be worth over $14 million and is fully guaranteed, so GM Ted Thompson would be taking a salary-cap risk by tagging Flynn. He'd also risk losing fellow impending free agent Jermichael Finley. It's interesting to note that one NFL agent who has represented a franchise player estimated Green Bay "could get a first-round pick at the minimum" and "maybe first- and third-round picks" for Flynn because of the need for quarterbacks around the NFL.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Green Bay - Matt Flynn will be a member of the Green Bay Packers for the next two months.

After that, the backup quarterback will be either on his way to another team via trade or through free agency. Either way he'll be a rich man.

The Packers, however, may not benefit as much from his loss as some people might think. Those expecting the Packers to be able to trade him for high draft picks should heed a warning.

A trade is not a certainty.

Here's the situation:

Flynn, who set a club record for passing yards (480) and touchdowns (six) in the Packers' 45-41 victory over the Detroit Lions on Sunday, is an unrestricted free agent after the season. Once the free agency period begins, he is eligible to sign with any team in the league with no compensation paid to the Packers.

The one exception is if the Packers slap a franchise tag on Flynn. The franchise tag requires any team that signs Flynn to pay the Packers two first-round draft choices if the Packers choose not to match the offer.

In exchange for being tagged, Flynn would receive a one-year deal worth the average of the last five franchise tag numbers at his position. Last year, the franchise number for quarterbacks was around $14 million, and it's likely to be higher this year.

So once the Packers tag Flynn, that $14 million counts against their salary cap. Flynn would automatically become the highest-paid player on the team in terms of annual salary.

NFL teams are prohibited from trading franchise players. In fact, the rules say you may not franchise a player with the intent to sign him to a contract and then trade him. However, this rule has been broken before and the NFL tends to look the other way.

General manager Ted Thompson wants to get something for Flynn rather than just let him walk in free agency. But if he knows Flynn is going to sign the franchise offer, he not only has to have the salary cap room to take on a $14 million salary, but he must know that someone will trade for Flynn before he does it.

He and negotiator Russ Ball will have to work with Flynn's agent behind the scenes to find a trading partner and then negotiate a deal suitable to Flynn. If that happens, the Packers would sign Flynn to that deal and then trade him.

One prominent agent who has represented a franchise player said that he thinks the Packers could get a first-round pick at the minimum for Flynn and maybe first- and third-round picks. He said the desire for a franchise quarterback is so great that teams would be willing to pay a lot to obtain a polished product like Flynn.

If a deal were worked out between Flynn and the new team, it would have to be structured in such a way that it would not count against the Packers' salary cap because when Flynn signs it he's still a member of the Packers. The money Flynn would normally get through a signing bonus would be structured through guaranteed base salaries and roster bonuses.

But what happens if the Packers franchise Flynn, he signs the contract and the Packers can't work out a deal with another team? The franchise offer is guaranteed so once Flynn signs it, they are on the hook for $14 million.

That's the risky part for Thompson. If he has to carry $23 million in cap money designated for two quarterbacks, it would destroy his salary structure. He wouldn't be able to re-sign other players whose contracts expire the following year.

The other risk is that Thompson would have no protection against losing tight end Jermichael Finley. You get only one franchise or transition tag - the transition tag only allows you to match an offer - so Finley would be free to negotiate with anybody in the league.

The Packers would have to either meet his demands or let him go with no compensation

http://www.jsonline...._medium=twitter

Archived