Texans Cut Kellen Clemens

b&bjetsfan

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011/12/texans-waive-qb-kellen-clemens.html

Tuesday, December 06, 2011Texans Waive QB Kellen Clemens

A week after signing veteran Jake Delhomme, and two days after fifth-round pick T.J. Yates won his first NFL start, the Houston Texans have waived quarterback Kellen Clemens, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Clemens was signed to a one-year contract after the team lost quarterback Matt Schaub to a season-ending foot injury. The former second-round pick out of Oregon was inactive when Matt Leinart was lost to a broken collarbone, which prompted the signing of Delhomme last week.

Inactive for a second consecutive week, the Texans got a steady performance from Yates and apparently feel comfortable enough with their quarterback position to let Clemens go. For his two weeks on the 53-man roster, Clemens earned nearly $81,000 in pretax income.

The Texans also placed rookie punter Brett Hartmann on injured reserve.

He lost out earlier in the season when the Redskins said that Clemens would compete with Grossman for the right to back up Beck. Clemens lost to Grossman, who later took the starting job from Beck, lost the starting job back to Beck, then took the starting job back from Beck. Later Clemens lost out to a whole totem pole of QB's in Houston.

Clemens keeps getting himself put in the ideal situation for a journeyman QB: to be put into competition with other journeyman for a starting job. And he keeps losing out.

He lost out earlier in the season when the Redskins said that Clemens would compete with Grossman for the right to back up Beck. Clemens lost to Grossman, who later took the starting job from Beck, lost the starting job back to Beck, then took the starting job back from Beck. Later Clemens lost out to a whole totem pole of QB's in Houston.

Clemens keeps getting himself put in the ideal situation for a journeyman QB: to be put into competition with other journeyman for a starting job. And he keeps losing out.

He's terrible.. He had the Baltimore / redskins / Steelers run but then fell apart.. no mental toughness was evident in his QB battle with the noodle sissy

Everything you need to know about him you can see with how we dealt with him in hard knocks. Gave him the complete bitch treatment and he took it without complaining.

Not really true. We left him no choice with no leverage given the timing. The guy has a wife & kids. Every NFL team, at that point, already had their #1 and #2 QB roster spots locked in. Then on the last cut day we told him he could stay and make a guaranteed $700K for the next 4 months as our #3 or roll the dice and hope to catch on with another team during the season (which at that point means take a non-guaranteed contract to be someone's #3 after week 1).

It was really sleazy after we tagged him with a 2nd-round tender all offseason, which also prevented any other team from giving him a tryout all spring/summer. Seeing that on camera wasn't my proudest moment as a Jets fan no matter how terrible and hopeless the team saw him as.

We left him [Clemens] no choice with no leverage given the timing...... Every NFL team, at that point, already had their #1 and #2 QB roster spots locked in.

Completely agree. Maybe some highly regarded starter might walk if he feels he's not being treated right, but the number one priority for a guy who's been mostly backup is to stay in the league.

Once you leave the NFL, there's a great chance you never get back in.

Not really true. We left him no choice with no leverage given the timing. The guy has a wife & kids. Every NFL team, at that point, already had their #1 and #2 QB roster spots locked in. Then on the last cut day we told him he could stay and make a guaranteed $700K for the next 4 months as our #3 or roll the dice and hope to catch on with another team during the season (which at that point means take a non-guaranteed contract to be someone's #3 after week 1).

It was really sleazy after we tagged him with a 2nd-round tender all offseason, which also prevented any other team from giving him a tryout all spring/summer. Seeing that on camera wasn't my proudest moment as a Jets fan no matter how terrible and hopeless the team saw him as.

meh, doesn't he come from an 800 acre cattle ranch or something? Tanny came off really sleazy and Clemens like a doormat, imo...

Agreed. Tannenbaum is a filth human being.

KELLEN CLEMENS TRIVIA:

Which genius offensive mind flew out to Oregon TWICE for private workouts with Kellen Clemens prior to that years' draft?

I'm not looking this up so I'll probably be the only one to get it wrong, but I think it's Moore. I remember that the Jets and Colts both worked him out but I know at least one of ours was in Jersey.

I'm not looking this up so I'll probably be the only one to get it wrong, but I think it's Moore. I remember that the Jets and Colts both worked him out but I know at least one of ours was in Jersey.

****balls. Now I have to go fact-check myself. Damn you facty-types.

KELLEN CLEMENS TRIVIA:

Which genius offensive mind flew out to Oregon TWICE for private workouts with Kellen Clemens prior to that years' draft?

Don't remember. But before his passing I do remember Bill Walsh talking up Trent Edwards like he was the next Joe Montana.

Everyone swings & misses.

Don't remember. But before his passing I do remember Bill Walsh talking up Trent Edwards like he was the next Joe Montana.

Everyone swings & misses.

Walsh also said that David Cook would've been better than any QB to ever play and that Josh Booty was the "finest schoolboy QB" he'd ever seen play. Bill was big on the hyperbowl

WRONG! WROOOOOONG! It was Schitty, who compared him to whoever you think the best QB is. Tried to get Mangibaum to take him at 4, as the tale can go.

KELLEN CLEMENS TRIVIA:

In fairness, it should be said that Clemens has an ability to shine in one or two day workouts. That's why he keeps getting signed.

Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have the ability to move up the depth chart and stick once he gets himself on the roster.

WRONG! WROOOOOONG! It was Schitty, who compared him to whoever you think the best QB is. Tried to get Mangibaum to take him at 4, as the tale can go.

I was, indeed, referencing Schottenheimer, as I was certain he went out to Oregon twice (the second time, like, the week before the draft). I cannot, however, find proof either way. Then again, my memory blows.

Archived