Getting Peyton Manning the answer for Jets QB conundrum with Mark Sanchez

SoFlaJets

I dont think its happening, I was just talking about the OL part..

And its not easy to fix mid season when Ducasse sucks, Turner got hurt and Hunter fooled everyone last year. He was lights out. I dont think they were anticipating this being a weakness, I think they saw it as a strength. IMO, this is really the only place the FO dropped the ball. They had time and money to address the OL when Turner got hurt in the preseason and they didnt.

the only place JiF? One word: safety

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that too I guess but its not like they werent winning last year with the same group of safeties.

Yea amazing how the same RT and two safeties were a part of a winning team last year and this year have turned into parts that have actually cost the team games this year.

Yea amazing how the same RT and two safeties were a part of a winning team last year and this year have turned into parts that have actually cost the team games this year.

Smith has always been a dud. Granted, he did play very well during the last half of the season/playoffs last year. But, Rex likes him and Westhoff loves him. Really wished we held onto Lowery. Hunter is just weird. Seriously. I actually expected the offensive line to be better this year with Slauson in his 2nd year starting and Hunter looked like an upgrade over Woody. But, we were fooled.

I still think this is a good team. We had to overcome a lot of adversity this year. Especially our young QB, who clearly didnt step up to the challenge. Everything cant always be peaches and cream. I still have a lot of faith in this regime.

Smith has always been a dud. Granted, he did play very well during the last half of the season/playoffs last year. But, Rex likes him and Westhoff loves him. Really wished we held onto Lowery. Hunter is just weird. Seriously. I actually expected the offensive line to be better this year with Slauson in his 2nd year starting and Hunter looked like an upgrade over Woody. But, we were fooled.

I still think this is a good team. We had to overcome a lot of adversity this year. Especially our young QB, who clearly didnt step up to the challenge. Everything cant always be peaches and cream. I still have a lot of faith in this regime.

You are sounding very positive...I like that.

Not if Schotty is still here and Wayne Hunter is playing right tackle, we aren't.

I think hunter has to go but even schotty would be ok with manning. Rex would tell schotty, since rex reveres manning, to let him call plays like he did in Indy. I bet though they'd make Tom Moore OC or at least very involved. Manning would get us out of bad plays and we wouldn't snap the damn ball with < 3 seconds on the play clock every time

A new QB is not going to fix the issues on the defensive side of the ball or the offensive line. You bring in a contract like Mannings and you won't be able to afford to fix other issues.

With QB's like Manning, Brady, Brees, and now Rodgers, (I also include Big Ben but he doesn't in a different way, then any QB to ever play) O-line play is improved by them, they due multiple things that no other QB's can do, they identify the Defense and know where there going before they do, and adjust O-line coverages themselves and not relying on the O-lineman to identify it themselves. IE wayne hunter would be TOLD who to block not having to figure out who to block. Also when a guy like Hunter wiffs, they have amazingly fast releases and to add to that they make great reads amazingly fast, not to mention there HOF pocket presence. Half of the O-line problems on this team is Mark not making the right reads of the D and making proper blocking adjustments on top of his bad pocket presence and slow reading of the field.

Look it up Manning and Brady are usually among the league leaders in sacks allowed, and trust me its not because the always have the best O-Line, and if you think that your kidding yourself.

As to getting Manning it would only happen if he is released, and Sanchez would have to be released also, there is no way to keep both under a cap system, as of right now we are at 112 million next year, and thats with guys like Plaxico, and a couple other starters not on the cap and the cap will only be around 125-130 million, and there will be alot of holes to fill.

Not if Schotty is still here and Wayne Hunter is playing right tackle, we aren't.

It will be almost a carbon copy of when Favre was here...remember Shotty was here when Favre was our QB and he did what he wanted to do (audibles all day long).

I might be wrong but I do believe Manning would make our OL look better...don't you think?

A new QB is not going to fix the issues on the defensive side of the ball or the offensive line. You bring in a contract like Mannings and you won't be able to afford to fix other issues.

I believe a QB like Manning will make our D look much better. For sure they won't be out there every other 2 minutes......like they are now.

This is not gonna happen....you guys are torturing yourselves. Same sh*t the Knicks did with Lebron. Peyton will be on the Colts next year and Brees will be on the Saints.

Sanchez will be here under a new OC and start to take the steps forward we all hoped for.

Eh. There are four positions you have to have to win the Super Bowl: QB, CB, LT, edge rusher. The Jets have two of the four and the GM has shown zero ability to identify and draft the other two.

Didn't know edge rushers grew on trees as well as superior QB's. Not to mention that like it or not, the jury is still out on Sanchez.

Ah yeah. I suppose we should give Tannenbaum a pass because it's hard to draft QBs and OLBs. Good point. Sorry, Mr. T.

Tell me how many teams have a superior edge rusher? Yeah it's not hard to draft QB's and OLB's, but it's quite different to get one that is a difference maker. How many years have the fish tried to get a QB since Marino retired as just one example?

Tell me how many teams have a superior edge rusher? Yeah it's not hard to draft QB's and OLB's, but it's quite different to get one that is a difference maker. How many years have the fish tried to get a QB since Marino retired as just one example?

Exactly....

I'm just not sure if you're being serious here or not.

If we have all this $$ to hypothetically land Manning and keep Suckchez, why not put that Manning money towards the best OC we can get and the best QB coach? I would love the Manning idea if he were 3-4 years younger, but that injury and his age make this too risky. Especially since we've put 3 years of time, energy, and and money behind Suckchez. Plus I'm sure Tanny and Rex one to win it with the kid THEY drafted.

ok, I'll play along

what is his market value ? (top 10 player in the history of the NFL mind you )

and how are the jets a better team after giving it away ?

persuade me

your argument has to go like this ; the colts will accept in trade ..........and the jets get a 36 year old slow QB at $25 million per year to play behind hunter and mulligan....SB !!!

persuade me

ok, I'll play along

persuade me

your argument has to go like this ; the colts will accept in trade ..........and the jets get a 36 year old slow QB at $25 million per year to play behind hunter and mulligan....SB !!!

persuade me

lolz!

ok, I'll play along

persuade me

persuade me

Peep the last 8 sb winners, not a Sanchez amongst them

ok, I'll play along

persuade me

persuade me

The Colts can release Manning immediately after the season and suffer no cap consequences. Manning himself structured the contract that way to help protect the Colts in case his neck injury was worse than assumed. So, you wouldn't be trading for Manning, you'd be signing him as a UFA.

The Colts can release Manning immediately after the season and suffer no cap consequences. Manning himself structured the contract that way to help protect the Colts in case his neck injury was worse than assumed. So, you wouldn't be trading for Manning, you'd be signing him as a UFA.

So, you wouldn't be trading for Manning, you'd be signing him as a UFA.

with a neck injury that is worse than assumed

lol

No thats just the story from the press about how great a guy Peyton is and how he did a deal to be Colt friendly. His dead cap cost would be $16 million though the Colts would get a $5.6 million credit if they cut him so its a $10.4 million net hit. Thats cheaper than keeping him ($17 million cap, $35.4 million cap commitment), but still a high charge. Most likely the way the deal goes is the two sides restructure to push Peytons option bonus into early May, That gives the Colts time to shop the Luck pick and decide who they want- Luck or Manning. If its Luck they can have a month or so to trade Manning before OTAs officially end and 2 months before camps begin. By doing that scenario the Colts get their $5.6 million credit plus conditional draft picks and the acquiring team is on the hook for the $28 million bonus. I believe because there are no material changes to the contract the acquiring team can also renegotiate if need be to tack an extra year onto the deal to lower the immediate cap charge.

Without a renegotiation in a trade Manning's cap charge is $14.4 million. Cut Sanchez and thats $19.4 million in the QB position or an extra $5 million in cap to have Manning over Sanchez, which is a no brainer. If they extend by a year the Manning cap falls to $13 million and the team would only have $18 million invested in the QB spot in 2012. Unless Manning is just disgruntled with the Colts (and considering they paid him $26.4 million this year and could have weaseled their way out of $3 million by IRing him and they chose not to I cant see him being unhappy) he will do whatever he can to give that team the flexibility to work out a trade for him. Highly unlikely hes a free agent.

Archived