Chad Pennington Most Likely Retiring

b&bjetsfan

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-test-football-academy-0208-20120207,0,5298997.story

BOCA RATON –— Chad Pennington's arm remains strong enough to throw a deep out with a little zip on it.

His left knee, destroyed playing pickup basketball last year, has been surgically repaired and is fully healed.

Pennington, 35, who spent 11-seasons, mostly as a starting quarterback for the New York Jets and Miami Dolphins, is healthy enough to resume his NFL career. But the NFL's two-time Comeback Player of the Year is leaning toward hanging up his cleats.

Pennington, who threw for 17,823 yards and 102 touchdowns during his career, told the Sun Sentinel Tuesday he plans to continue broadcasting games for FOX Sports instead of attempting yet another comeback.

"It doesn't make sense for me to come back and try to play," said Pennington, who is presently training draft eligible quarterbacks at TEST Academy in Boca Raton. "I know I can get healthy. I know I can be ready for training camp and do all those things. But can I take a hit?"

Pennington is referring to his right shoulder, his throwing shoulder, which has been surgically repaired four times.

The last time Pennington was on an NFL field as a starter he lasted long enough to throw two passes in a 29-17 win against the Tennessee Titans before the labrum tore when he jammed his shoulder into left tackle Jake Long falling to the ground.

"After four shoulder surgeries, that's a question that's hard to answer right now. That's something that's out of my control. I can control being strong enough, accurate enough, and smart enough. But I can't control not being able to take a hit in the wrong angle," said Pennington, whose 66 percent career completion rate sits ahead of Drew Brees (65.9%) as the NFL's all-time leader in that category. "I don't want to look a coach in the eye and say, 'You can count on me,' and then I go out there and [something happens] to us like it did in 2010 and he can't count on my body."

Pennington, who currently works as an analyst, said he hasn't turned in his NFL retirement papers, but is close to doing so. He'd listen to teams if they called about a backup, mentor role. But Pennington admits his thought process would be "thorough and thoughtful" of everyone in his life, especially his immediate family.

He's thought about coaching, but for now broadcasting will have to do.

"Coaching is in my blood. It's my passion. But I also have a family," Pennington said. "I have three boys and they've made enough sacrifices throughout my NFL career, and that weighs heavy on my heart, as far as being away from them. I'll look into [coaching], maybe on the high school level. The pro and college level is a huge commitment. I understand that, and the time commitment deters me away from it."

Pennington said his stance on life and football changed when he was released by the Jets before the 2008 season, which is when he ended up signing with the Dolphins, and led Miami to an AFC East division title and the playoffs. That experience – being discarded by the team that selected him in the first round, and he'd spent eight seasons with - allowed him to put everything in perspective.

"Football shouldn't define me," said Pennington, who was a Rhodes Scholarship Finalist during his senior season at Marshall. "Being cut helped me put life in proper perspective so [football] didn't rule everything, including my emotions."

okelly@tribune.com Follow him at twitter.com/omarkelly.

sh*tty. He's a real class act and someone I wish would just get one more shot to start.

One of the few times I actually felt bad for a pro athlete was when he was all pumped up to get his start with Miami, only to go down and out on the first play.

sh*tty. He's a real class act and someone I wish would just get one more shot to start.

One of the few times I actually felt bad for a pro athlete was when he was all pumped up to get his start with Miami, only to go down and out on the first play.

Wow you really are a Giants fan.

I feel bad for all the receivers he got concussed because he was a noodle armed pile of failure. **** him.

I was a big Pennington supporter I think he has potential. Feel sorry for the guy . Pennington is so much better than Matt Moooor'on

Well Chad is a class guy too bad a brittle one-enjoy retirement

Can someone tell me what the basis for this "class guy" opinion is? I've been hearing it for years, but nobody has ever actually explained why Chad is allegedly any classier than any other NFL player. The way he acted when he was benched for Clemens and then later when Henne was benched for him, tells me he was anything but classy. And there's plenty more examples I could give beyond that, but I'm just curious where the opinion of his class comes from.

Best of luck Chad. Class act who was always genuine and his words never seemed manufactured. He spoke from the heart and put his team first. How many first round QB's would spend as much time on the bench as he did and not make a peep? Shame about the injuries.

Archived