Why The Jets Should Keep Eric Smith

Maxman

Post image for Why The Jets Should Keep Eric Smith

Well it’s time to take out the ‘punching bag’, Eric Smith, for some more jabs.  Smith did not exactly inspire most Jets fans with his play this past season.  Visions of him trying to chase down tight ends every week are still etched in our memories, but before you just toss poor Eric to the curb, there are some things to consider.

Three safeties are currently on the Jets’ roster Eric Smith, Gerald Alexander and Tracy Wilson.  Former Jets, now unrestricted free agents, starter Jim Leonhard and backup Brodney Pool may be resigned.  Leonhard suffered a season ending knee injury and will not be ready for opening day.  If the team does not bring him back they could sign a free agent safety like Reggie Nelson instead.

The Jets will address their position needs in the upcoming 2012 draft.  A player like Mark Barron from Alabama or other top prospects at safety will be picked by the team.

So there you go, Jim Leonhard or Reggie Nelson, Brodney Pool, Gerald Alexander, Tracy Wilson and the 2012 safety draft pick.  You can just dump Eric Smith and his salary, but this creates some problems.  Alexander has played in eight games over the last two seasons, with ten total tackles, while Wilson, a rookie last year, was brought up from the practice squad and saw limited action in five games.   Would you trust these guys to even contribute much less be an emergency starter?  If the Jets got Mark Barron in the draft there are no guarantees, like with all rookies, he can just step in right away.

Eric Smith is not a starting NFL safety over the rigors of a sixteen game schedule.  He is good in situational defenses and can play special teams.  Lack of depth hurt the Jets last year and if a safety or two goes down to injury a former starter, now backup, has the experience necessary to play the position.  Smith has also been in playoff games, who can forget the hit he laid on Wes Welker causing pieces of Welker’s helmet go flying.

What about cutting him and saving money under the salary cap?  Smith will have to renegotiate his contract and lower his 2012 number. If he agrees to a one year deal worth $765,000 the Jets charge will only be $605,000 cause of certain NFL salary rules.  So are you willing to throw away a very capable backup who knows the defense for $215,000 at most in cap savings?

The Jets want to avoid too much turnover at one position in a given year.  Due to his experience keeping Eric Smith will bring a level of stability during this period of transition at safety.  Once other players develop they can move away from him but if the price is right Smith does have value to the team in 2012.

di
di

rCxuyAXkLQ0

View the full article

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

by Dennis Agapito on February 17, 2012[edit]

in Featured Editorials

ericsmith_t.jpg

Well it’s time to take out the ‘punching bag’, Eric Smith, for some more jabs. Smith did not exactly inspire most Jets fans with his play this past season. Visions of him trying to chase down tight ends every week are still etched in our memories, but before you just toss poor Eric to the curb, there are some things to consider.

Three safeties are currently on the Jets’ roster Eric Smith, Gerald Alexander and Tracy Wilson. Former Jets, now unrestricted free agents, starter Jim Leonhard and backup Brodney Pool may be resigned. Leonhard suffered a season ending knee injury and will not be ready for opening day. If the team does not bring him back they could sign a free agent safety like Reggie Nelson instead.

The Jets will address their position needs in the upcoming 2012 draft. A player like Mark Barron from Alabama or other top prospects at safety will be picked by the team.

So there you go, Jim Leonhard or Reggie Nelson, Brodney Pool, Gerald Alexander, Tracy Wilson and the 2012 safety draft pick. You can just dump Eric Smith and his salary, but this creates some problems. Alexander has played in eight games over the last two seasons, with ten total tackles, while Wilson, a rookie last year, was brought up from the practice squad and saw limited action in five games. Would you trust these guys to even contribute much less be an emergency starter? If the Jets got Mark Barron in the draft there are no guarantees, like with all rookies, he can just step in right away.

Eric Smith is not a starting NFL safety over the rigors of a sixteen game schedule. He is good in situational defenses and can play special teams. Lack of depth hurt the Jets last year and if a safety or two goes down to injury a former starter, now backup, has the experience necessary to play the position. Smith has also been in playoff games, who can forget the hit he laid on Wes Welker causing pieces of Welker’s helmet go flying.

What about cutting him and saving money under the salary cap? Smith will have to renegotiate his contract and lower his 2012 number. If he agrees to a one year deal worth $765,000 the Jets charge will only be $605,000 cause of certain NFL salary rules. So are you willing to throw away a very capable backup who knows the defense for $215,000 at most in cap savings?

The Jets want to avoid too much turnover at one position in a given year. Due to his experience keeping Eric Smith will bring a level of stability during this period of transition at safety. Once other players develop they can move away from him but if the price is right Smith does have value to the team in 2012.

The point is simple he is a capable backup. You are not going to find a cheaper and more experienced backup then Smith.

Just like the reason the Jets kept Hunter, he will most likely lose his starting job, but an injury occurs you want Colin Baxter going in or Hunter? At least Hunter knows the system and has starting NFL experience.

I would not be adverse to keeping Eric Smith on the roster as long as during the time the defense of the New York Jets are on the field

he is chained to the bench and not able to get to the field.

I was like, what? Then I was like, lol.

He is awful. If we go into the season with Eric Smith as our starting safety I'll be very dissapointed.

"Matt Slauson played with a torn up shoulder that required surgery"

board response "let's make 5 threads about it! Ferris Bueller you're my hero"

"Eric Smith played with a torn up knee that required surgery"

board response "f--k that loser. he sucks s--t through a straw"

False equivalence FTW

I'm sorry, but I can't get past the thread title without just saying "no, this is absolutely 100% without question indisputably wrong". The only way I would say otherwise is if the article goes on to talk about how they should keep him around for the rest of the roster to take their angst out on, beat the living hell out of him all offseason long and then cut his a$$ when they're done using him as a human punching bag.

Did he have a torn up knee for the prior 5 years too? He's ******* horrendously awful and always has been.

Eric Smith has always been underappreciated as a Jets player

I know he has certain liabilities, but he brings the wood every game, and is a very smart player

A fringe starter, but I see no reason to let him walk only to catch on with the Pats

And let the leagues historically bad secondary get worse? I'd hate for that to happen.

no where in this thread or in the article is mentioned that he played most of the season with a torn meniscus

it's not even a fact worth mentioning? He was playing safety on a torn knee.

Slauson's an average starting guard. Smith's a below-average starting safety. The fact that they were both injured is irrelevant. McElroy and Manning both missed all of last season, and yet we don't have a half-dozen threads discussing how McElroy might put us over the top. Weird, huh?

Whenever the only argument that can be made for player is " that he can be a good backup if brought back for a reasonable price" it only shows how much the author really thinks of the player.

But not sure if the JETS should go that route. A championship winning team cannot keep having two of its top three safeties have last names of Smith and Leonard!!

It is very difficult to just replace two starters in one year. Like the article says keeping Smith would bring son firmiluarlity and stability to the position. You don’t want to be stuck with a Colin Baxter type situation if injuries occur. So there it is no Smith but three of your five players have no starting experience in the NFL. Hope the ones who do stay healthy.

Eric Smith has always been underappreciated as a Jets player

I know he has certain liabilities, but he brings the wood every game, and is a very smart player

A fringe starter, but I see no reason to let him walk only to catch on with the Pats

He "brings the wood every game" because after 6 years in the league he's still completely incapable of proper form tackling. He aimlessly heaves his body at players time and again, and because of that misses more tackles than any player on the team, by a wide margin. But hey, at least when he actually does connect it makes a cool sound, right? And the "very smart player" stuff is a load of horse sh*t. It's a crap excuse that people make for a player when they like him but he sucks a$$ on the field. It's the same load of crap we heard for years about ole Chadwick. There's no evidence to suggest Smith is any smarter, on the football field, than any of his NFL counterparts. The fact that he still can't grasp the concept of his key job, tackling, after all this time would actually suggest quite the opposite. The sooner this loser is off the team the better, be it as a starter or even just a backup.

It is very difficult to just replace two starters in one year. Like the article says keeping Smith would bring son firmiluarlity and stability to the position. You don’t want to be stuck with a Colin Baxter type situation if injuries occur. So there it is no Smith but three of your five players have no starting experience in the NFL. Hope the ones who do stay healthy.

The only problem with this is that it assumes that Smith brings anything to the table, and he doesn't. He was a crappy starter this year and he was a crappy backup for 5 years before that. Experience doesn't count for anything if you can't perform on the field, and I've seen nothing out of Smith that there's any reason to believe an undrafted rookie could do any worse, never mind a decent draft pick or even a mid to low level FA. Continuity only for the sake of continuity means absolutely nothing, the players you're keeping have to have some value to them, and outside of perhaps special teams, Smith has none.

Archived