Pouha not getting tagged

Sperm Edwards

Wasn't the tweet implying the cap tag would be too high so they are going to try and workout a multi-year deal?

I'd be pissed if we lost Pouha.

Indeed, it is assuming they're going to try and sign him to a long term deal, but only because they're tight with the cap. Meaning, if somebody really wants Pouha, he's likely gone if they front-load the deal.

No way they can be confident going with Ellis, but no doubt the franchise tag will result in overpaying for Pouha. At 33 I really do not think he commands top dollar on the FA market so the Jets should be able to reach an equitable contract. If not, it will be very disappointing and a significant step backwards.

No way they can be confident going with Ellis, but no doubt the franchise tag will result in overpaying for Pouha. At 33 I really do not think he commands top dollar on the FA market so the Jets should be able to reach an equitable contract. If not, it will be very disappointing and a significant step backwards.

I hope you are right. And yes it would be very disappointing if they let him go.

Indeed, it is assuming they're going to try and sign him to a long term deal, but only because they're tight with the cap. Meaning, if somebody really wants Pouha, he's likely gone if they front-load the deal.

Right, good point. Dude is a little older even though he doesnt have a ton of miles logged. He's going to be looking for money.

I too would be pissed if we let Pouha go, but the risk of that after signing Dunbar should be less than zero. Doesn´t add up at all. Especially if he and Rex might try to go 4-3.

I'd be upset too. I loved how the crowd started cheering his name...POUHA!!! He's one of the most underrated players in the league.

However, Rex has a knack for making chicken salad out of chick sh*t on the DL. Whether its Dixon, DeVito, Pitoitoua, MTV - you name it, he gets guys to play well. And I'm still holding out hope for Ellis. He's got the raw talent to be Ngata like.

Right, good point. Dude is a little older even though he doesnt have a ton of miles logged. He's going to be looking for money.

I'd be upset too. I loved how the crowd started cheering his name...POUHA!!! He's one of the most underrated players in the league.

However, Rex has a knack for making chicken salad out of chick sh*t on the DL. Whether its Dixon, DeVito, Pitoitoua, MTV - you name it, he gets guys to play well. And I'm still holding out hope for Ellis. He's got the raw talent to be Ngata like.

You can certainly count Pouha as some of that chicken sh*t we have in our chicken salad. He's played real well, but I have as much faith in Rex replacing him as I do with Pouha being super successful elsewhere.

Good. Tagging him would be overpaying him.

Obviously.

If someone else signs him then someone else signs him. I'd like him back, but at the right price. He's 33 and hasn't missed a game in years. Whether he's been starting for ~3 years prior or 8 years prior, that's still damn hard on the body, and some of the time he wasn't playing was due to serious injury. So his body has been beaten up plenty.

I guarantee the same people crying about our lack of QB pressure will be the same ones crying about losing Pouha who creates no pressure (and will only then, for the first time ever, start rationalizing how he clogs up 2 OLmen and creates opportunities for others to rush the passer, etc.).

I definitely hope he's back. If not, life will go on with the younger guys.

Obviously.

If someone else signs him then someone else signs him. I'd like him back, but at the right price. He's 33 and hasn't missed a game in years. Whether he's been starting for ~3 years prior or 8 years prior, that's still damn hard on the body, and some of the time he wasn't playing was due to serious injury. So his body has been beaten up plenty.

I guarantee the same people crying about our lack of QB pressure will be the same ones crying about losing Pouha who creates no pressure (and will only then, for the first time ever, start rationalizing how he clogs up 2 OLmen and creates opportunities for others to rush the passer, etc.).

Pretty much. I stll have faith in Ellis.

Obviously.

Word. That's why you get draft picks every year--so you can cycle through a player like Pouha and replace him with a younger, cheaper guy when his contract is up.

Ellis over Pouha? No way. Tannanbaum would never let a solid starter with leadership skills and a great work ethic walk for a troubled player with legal issues and questionable character. Never.

Hah Antonio and santonio refute that comment

Ellis over Pouha? No way. Tannanbaum would never let a solid starter with leadership skills and a great work ethic walk for a troubled player with legal issues and questionable character. Never.

How I wish I had a montage of the 9,000,000 times Tannenbaum sanctimoniously pointed out that the #1 priority for the Jets when picking a player during the Mangini regime was character. Amusing turnabout.

We have a couple of coaches with some damn fine success coaching DL's. We'll be fine. If not, you dust yourself off and find a better option next year. We're not winning any superbowls with Sanchez starting anyway.

And suddenly I've lost interesting in discussing anything Jets related because we've got Mark Sanchez. Thanks

Thats what you get when you want your GM to find talent in the later rounds.

Pretty much. I stll have faith in Ellis.

I stil have faith in Ellis, but I'm not ready to go into the season with him as our only NT. Maybe if they really like Tevasau. It wouldn't the end of the world, but I'd say those guys aren't far apart on the depth chart now, other than Ellis having more upside. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with them as our only DTs, but I'd defer to the coaches on that one. They haven't let us down on the D line yet.

I stil have faith in Ellis, but I'm not ready to go into the season with him as our only NT. Maybe if they really like Tevasau. It wouldn't the end of the world, but I'd say those guys aren't far apart on the depth chart now, other than Ellis having more upside. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with them as our only DTs, but I'd defer to the coaches on that one. They haven't let us down on the D line yet.

They could grab a talented DE like a Calais Campbell or someone in the draft and throw DeVito at the NT. He's done it and when he's been healthy he's a very strong player against the run himself.

There's a million different ways they could cover the loss of Pouha...That feels good to say...None of that Jason Ferguson to Josh Reed sh*t. That said, there's no way they give up Pouha while most of the DL guys are still more prospects than pros.

I definitely think the Jets will make the effort to keep Pouha, but there's not a single position that I have more confidence in this team to handle than the DL. It's easily the deepest unit on the team, and you now have two coaches who have just an absolutely phenomenal history with the position. Pouha or not, there's still a lot greater areas of concern on the Jets.

Obviously.

Good post, well put.

He is not young either. Mormon mission dude has probably this as his last big payday. So get ready to shelf those Pouha jersey and get ready to see another one in New

England.

They could grab a talented DE like a Calais Campbell or someone in the draft and throw DeVito at the NT. He's done it and when he's been healthy he's a very strong player against the run himself.

There's a million different ways they could cover the loss of Pouha...That feels good to say...None of that Jason Ferguson to Josh Reed sh*t. That said, there's no way they give up Pouha while most of the DL guys are still more prospects than pros.

If they're going to clear up enough cap space to pick up Campbell, then just re-sign Pouha. Campbell will likely be double to triple the cost Pouha will be.

At 33 how many years can we give this guy. I love Pouha and he did take a few years off to preach teh gospell and sh!t so he is not your avg 33 year old but a 3 yr deal would mean he is a 36 yr old noseguard??????

OMG - please.

The other thing is with a guy like Ryan who has made a career out of making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t on the DL, I seriously doubt you are ever going to see the Jets make a huge money investment in any DL, unless it's a matter of retaining an all-world type talent like a Ngata (meaning, if Wilkerson or Ellis were ever to get to that kind of level). I have no doubt if Pouha pushes his price too high, the Jets will simply pass. Consider that the Jets DL is probably their deepest unit, yet is probably the position they've invested the least amount of money in over the past few years, their horrendous safety situation included, and only even put some draft picks into it for the first time last year.

Archived