Jets have interest in (backup) QBs...

Greenseed4

The Jets are sending winks at Chad Henne, and Jason Campbell...

Henne has been in the league for 4 years and is a verified "loser" (never got his team to .500). But, he is a big-armed mouth breather that has starting experience in the league, and a connection to the new Boss man in town. His stats aren't horrible either. He throws around a 60.7% comp. pct. and hangs around the 75 QBR.

But clearly doesn't have the mental grasp of the game: 31 TDs to 37 INTs, and his picks usually come at the worst possible moments.

Campbell is only 30, and would be the first 6-foot-5 QB we've had since Vinny Testaverde. With his big shoe size comes a big arm, and a fairly decent grasp of the pro game. He has longer tenure in the sport and better stats than either Henne or Sanchez, with a 60.8% comp pct. and has an 82 QBR average... But there is just something about him that doesn't scream, "I'm a leader, I'll take you to the big-dance, Sally". Simply put, Campbell just doesn't have the "it" factor and wouldn't last a new york minute in this media frenzy...or would he?

Or...is this flirting with the flag-team to score with a cheerleader? Are we playing games with the mediocres to maintain leverage with the Manning-camp?

Peyton Manning is the major domino and none of the other pieces will fall until this pans out. That and what happens with the number 2 pick. If Miami and Washington don't pull it off they will be players for QBs as well.

As for the Jets QB2, it will be interesting to see it play out. Not sure what kind of player they can bring in if it isn't Manning.

Campbell comes in, and if given a fair shake... takes Sanchez's job. And that is sad.

I honestly think McElroy pushes Sanchez this season if Mark doesn't show some progress. I'd rather give him the backup spot and see what Sanchez can do this season. Think cheap-o/rebuilding/chapter-11 season.

I honestly think McElroy pushes Sanchez this season if Mark doesn't show some progress. I'd rather give him the backup spot and see what Sanchez can do this season. Think cheap-o/rebuilding/chapter-11 season.

I agree with McElroy having talent, but this team needs someone with starting experience to challenge Sanchez.

McElroy might look good in training camp but it's a totally different beast once those red-jerseys come off. And it's even scarier once the games have actual meaning. Greg looking good in preseason, doesn't mean beans; ask Blaine 'sh*t-my-pants' Gabbert.

I'd rather not risk the melt-down, and have someone who's taken some hits on roster. [in addition to]

I agree with McElroy having talent, but this team needs someone with starting experience to challenge Sanchez.

McElroy might look good in training camp but it's a totally different beast once those red-jerseys come off. And it's even scarier once the games have actual meaning. Greg looking good in preseason, doesn't mean beans; ask Blaine 'sh*t-my-pants' Gabbert.

I'd rather not risk the melt-down, and have someone who's taken some hits on roster. [in addition to]

I think McElroy will do well in real games also. Problem is the guy is Chad Pennington part II. Think eventually he will be an excellent back up and be in the league 10+ years. Don't know if his arm will ever let him be a genuine franchise QB. Hence the reason he was a 7th round pick

Henne is the guy they are going to go after. Question is, will they be willing to pay the 4-5 million for him? Will he want to came to NY, and "compete" with Sanchez?

I think McElroy will do well in real games also. Problem is the guy is Chad Pennington part II. Think eventually he will be an excellent back up and be in the league 10+ years. Don't know if his arm will ever let him be a genuine franchise QB. Hence the reason he was a 7th round pick

Henne is the guy they are going to go after. Question is, will they be willing to pay the 4-5 million for him? Will he want to came to NY, and "compete" with Sanchez?

I think if they pay him $4-5M he will compete - not "compete" - with Sanchez.

That's a good question. That's a lot of dough for a back-up. But I think Henne would definitely be considered just that, a "back-up". You bring in an Orton or a Campbell and there will be swirls of a QB controversy looming after Mark has one bad game. I think the ultimate goal is to make Mark better... by providing just enough competition to make him work harder, without providing so much that it becomes a mental distraction if he fails, and let's face it, he's going to drop a couple games.

If we're going to ditch Mark for a starter, we'll do that with Manning, or do it next year with a blue chipper...and hopefully not look to Henne, or Campbell, or Orton to save the franchise...we know what they look like. They're good for a win here or there, but nothing to hang your hat on. McElroy might surprise, and that's the fun of late-round QBs, right? But I wouldn't hang my hat on him just yet either.

I like the idea of McElroy pushing sanchez but im not sure if he has the arm strenght to go vertical, which is exactly what we need. Personally I think Jason Campbell is the best move (assuming we don't get manning). He has proven he could play and if it wasn't for getting injured this year he would have brought the raiders to the playoffs. With the uncertainty coming off the injury we can probably get him for a good price, and he will without a doubt push sanchez and probably take his spot. Which is fine because he'll be around for longer than someone like manning and then we release sanchez after the year and can finally put this debacle behind us.

I like the idea of McElroy pushing sanchez but im not sure if he has the arm strenght to go vertical, which is exactly what we need. Personally I think Jason Campbell is the best move (assuming we don't get manning). He has proven he could play and if it wasn't for getting injured this year he would have brought the raiders to the playoffs. With the uncertainty coming off the injury we can probably get him for a good price, and he will without a doubt push sanchez and probably take his spot. Which is fine because he'll be around for longer than someone like manning and then we release sanchez after the year and can finally put this debacle behind us.

I made a thread I believe back in January about Jason Campbell. This kid has talent. Its just that he's never been in the same system for more than a year. He's never been comfortable. Let him compete with Sanchez and given that Sparano was just signed I HIGHLY doubt he'll blow up the offense and be fired in a year.

Jason Campbell I think is a baller and is a better pick than trying to get/pay manning. I just dont like it. It has never, ever worked out for us, no matter the player/position. The closest we got is Favre and he got injured, threw 22 picks and we got bumped out of playoff contention by the very QB that we let go. YOU SIMPLY CANT MAKE SH_T UP LIKE THAT. Im telling you, thats the luck of the Jets. Something crazy would happen like Luck would have a crazy year and bump us out of the AFC championship game or something outrageous like that.

Lets get Campbell, give Sanchez some coaching that can develop him but at the same time let him know that his job isnt safe. This is the best possible move the jets can make given that they invested a 5th round pick, plus more given the move up for Sanchez. You cant give up on a QB that has very similar stats to Eli in his first 3 years and technically Win/Loss wise has a better record than what Eli did, and Eli had more competent offensive coaches around him.

Jason Campbell is a player that Sanchez can learn from, he'll save us money, he's a veteran that can compete with sanchez or replace him if Sanchez gets hurt.

This makes much more sense for our future. Now if the Jets are thinking Superbowl or bust then Manning is your guy, period.

The problem is everyone screams about building through the draft, rediculous contracts, lack of depth, no continuity, no team spirit, no long-term plan...then sudden ly a mediocre QB pops up in free agency and it's "sign this beast!" In McElroy, we have a drafted QB that showed promise and is intelligent and confident. He's inexpensive and already on the roster. He would be the backup QB under such circumstances in any other market. But we want Manning and this guy and that guy. No thanks. An aging vet who played on one team for the last decade?...is that who is bringing us to the promised land? No. We tried that. Didn't work. All we got was no playoffs, a fired coach, a sexting scandal, beaten by our former QB and, oh yeah, he retired. From the Jets, not the NFL. You draft a QB top 5 and dump him after busting on a top four OLB in Gholston, and Tannenbaum will be asked to Woody's office...with his playbook, please. Tanny has his horse hitched to Sanchez and if he's smart, he'll make something of the McElroy pick, just to save face.

Everyone is talking about McElroy's arm. Its not like he has a noodle. Mark just throws it 20 yards max anyways. And plus, I am willing to bet that McElroy can play the Mark Sanchez game of throwing to the check down. But I bet McElroy does it more accurately and throws it to the other team less often. Which means at least a couple of more wins for us.

McElroy's arm is pathetic. If he ends up starting for any stretch of time, that will be exposed quickly and you'll all be fondly reminiscing about the days of Pennington's howitzer.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with QB this offseason. Tannenbaum has repeatedly mentioned how much he can't wait to bring in new QBs, which is odd considering he's the clown who drafted Sanchez and has been paying Kevin O'Connell $5 mil per to be an invisible man. IMO, if they bring in Henne, Sanchez is safe because Sparano clearly hates Henne. But, if they bring in Campbell, Sanchez is a Dead Man Walking because Rex will convince himself that Campbell is a steady, veteran presence that won't compromise his defense with bad turnovers.

McElroy's arm is pathetic. If he ends up starting for any stretch of time, that will be exposed quickly and you'll all be fondly reminiscing about the days of Pennington's howitzer.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with QB this offseason. Tannenbaum has repeatedly mentioned how much he can't wait to bring in new QBs, which is odd considering he's the clown who drafted Sanchez and has been paying Kevin O'Connell $5 mil per to be an invisible man. IMO, if they bring in Henne, Sanchez is safe because Sparano clearly hates Henne. But, if they bring in Campbell, Sanchez is a Dead Man Walking because Rex will convince himself that Campbell is a steady, veteran presence that won't compromise his defense with bad turnovers.

McElroy is the new Ratliffe. Fans are pathetic.

Everyone is talking about McElroy's arm. Its not like he has a noodle. Mark just throws it 20 yards max anyways. And plus, I am willing to bet that McElroy can play the Mark Sanchez game of throwing to the check down. But I bet McElroy does it more accurately and throws it to the other team less often. Which means at least a couple of more wins for us.

Based on what evidence?

Do yourself a favor, if you are "willing to bet" on this... stay away from Vegas.

I thought this was kind of funny to read and made me think about taking these profiles with a grain of salt.

Mark Sanchez Analysis

Strengths

Positives: Ascending talent whose intangibles for the position are just as impressive as his physical tools. ... Cerebral. ... Reads defenses well and rarely throws into coverage. ... Goes through his progression quickly and takes what the defense gives him. ... Recognizes the blitz very well for a player of his experience and often targets the defenses' weak link when being blitzed. ... Good setup and a smooth, over-the-top delivery. ... Legitimate NFL arm strength. ... Capable of making every NFL throw, including the deep ball. ... Rather than relying on pure arm strength, Sanchez combines good velocity with rare anticipation, especially for a player of his limited experience. ... Consistently releases his passes before his receivers have even made their breaks, giving the defense little time to react. ... Distributes the ball all over the field. ... Good short-, medium-, and long-range accuracy. ... Consistently places his passes where only his receiver can get it and throws a very catchable ball. ... When healthy, showed very surprising mobility for his size. ... Can evade the pass rush and will scramble if the defense gives free yards. ... Rare accuracy on the rollout. ... Squares his shoulders and can fire the ball with consistency and accuracy. ... Team captain. ... Blue-collar work ethic. Negatives: Only one season as the starter and leaves USC with just 16 career starts. ... Career record of 4-2 outside of the state of California. ... Undeniable tools, but isn't yet a finished product. ... Runs a bit hot and cold and has a tendency to score touchdowns in bunches. ... Characterized by those close to the program as a very cerebral player who makes the right read, but many of his touchdown passes went to receivers with five or more yards of separation between the next closest defender, opening up some questions if USC's dominant athletes and the team's aggressive play-calling helped him look even better. ... Suffered a dislocated left knee cap prior to the season opener and his mobility was limited.

I thought this was kind of funny to read and made me think about taking these profiles with a grain of salt.

Mark Sanchez Analysis

Strengths

Positives: Ascending talent whose intangibles for the position are just as impressive as his physical tools. ... Cerebral. ... Reads defenses well and rarely throws into coverage. ... Goes through his progression quickly and takes what the defense gives him. ... Recognizes the blitz very well for a player of his experience and often targets the defenses' weak link when being blitzed. ... Good setup and a smooth, over-the-top delivery. ... Legitimate NFL arm strength. ... Capable of making every NFL throw, including the deep ball. ... Rather than relying on pure arm strength, Sanchez combines good velocity with rare anticipation, especially for a player of his limited experience. ... Consistently releases his passes before his receivers have even made their breaks, giving the defense little time to react. ... Distributes the ball all over the field. ... Good short-, medium-, and long-range accuracy. ... Consistently places his passes where only his receiver can get it and throws a very catchable ball. ... When healthy, showed very surprising mobility for his size. ... Can evade the pass rush and will scramble if the defense gives free yards. ... Rare accuracy on the rollout. ... Squares his shoulders and can fire the ball with consistency and accuracy. ... Team captain. ... Blue-collar work ethic. Negatives: Only one season as the starter and leaves USC with just 16 career starts. ... Career record of 4-2 outside of the state of California. ... Undeniable tools, but isn't yet a finished product. ... Runs a bit hot and cold and has a tendency to score touchdowns in bunches. ... Characterized by those close to the program as a very cerebral player who makes the right read, but many of his touchdown passes went to receivers with five or more yards of separation between the next closest defender, opening up some questions if USC's dominant athletes and the team's aggressive play-calling helped him look even better. ... Suffered a dislocated left knee cap prior to the season opener and his mobility was limited.

Who wrote this? Sanchez's mom? Smashmouth?

Based on what evidence?

Do yourself a favor, if you are "willing to bet" on this... stay away from Vegas.

Which part of my statement are you referring to? That might help.

McElroy has been a winner his entire career. He has yet to get a chance like Mark has, due to injury.

His arm? Watch the tape. He can throw the ball further. Maybe not Stafford level zip, but he can still throw. Its a fact that Mark doesn't go down field. I am sure McElroy can go at least that deep. Throwing to the check down isn't a difficult task for a quarterback. Mark has an act of throwing the ball to the other team. He is garbage. We lost games based off of Mark's amazingly bad play.

Do yourself a favor, don't act like you know everything.

Campbell comes in, and if given a fair shake... takes Sanchez's job. And that is sad.

Why is that sad? Campbell got a bad break in Washington with at least three coaching changes and system changes during his tenure. Never got a good foot hold. This year for the Raiders he had them heading to the playoffs before he got hurt.

EY is right, he will never get a chance to start but if he did no doubt in my mind it would be an upgrade.

I remember when I posted on JI - I got flamed like crazy for suggesting we go after Jason Campbell a couple years ago, bring him in as a game manager. Heh.

Doubt anything has changed about the Campbell side of that. Now people just realize how terrible Sanchez is.

I made a thread I believe back in January about Jason Campbell. This kid has talent. Its just that he's never been in the same system for more than a year. He's never been comfortable. Let him compete with Sanchez and given that Sparano was just signed I HIGHLY doubt he'll blow up the offense and be fired in a year.

Jason Campbell I think is a baller and is a better pick than trying to get/pay manning. I just dont like it. It has never, ever worked out for us, no matter the player/position. The closest we got is Favre and he got injured, threw 22 picks and we got bumped out of playoff contention by the very QB that we let go. YOU SIMPLY CANT MAKE SH_T UP LIKE THAT. Im telling you, thats the luck of the Jets. Something crazy would happen like Luck would have a crazy year and bump us out of the AFC championship game or something outrageous like that.

Lets get Campbell, give Sanchez some coaching that can develop him but at the same time let him know that his job isnt safe. This is the best possible move the jets can make given that they invested a 5th round pick, plus more given the move up for Sanchez. You cant give up on a QB that has very similar stats to Eli in his first 3 years and technically Win/Loss wise has a better record than what Eli did, and Eli had more competent offensive coaches around him.

Jason Campbell is a player that Sanchez can learn from, he'll save us money, he's a veteran that can compete with sanchez or replace him if Sanchez gets hurt.

This makes much more sense for our future. Now if the Jets are thinking Superbowl or bust then Manning is your guy, period.

Good

Why is that sad? Campbell got a bad break in Washington with at least three coaching changes and system changes during his tenure. Never got a good foot hold. This year for the Raiders he had them heading to the playoffs before he got hurt.

EY is right, he will never get a chance to start but if he did no doubt in my mind it would be an upgrade.

Campbell (the qb, not the soup. obviously the soup is leaps and bounds better) being better than Sanchez is whats sad because I agree its an upgrade. I don't believe Campbell is good enough, or will get us where we want to get.

Campbell (the qb, not the soup. obviously the soup is leaps and bounds better) being better than Sanchez is whats sad because I agree its an upgrade. I don't believe Campbell is good enough, or will get us where we want to get.

Can't say either way, but I would like to see Campbell have a couple stable years with a franchise and see what he could do. I watched him here in DC and the kid never got a chance. Probably won't happen with the Jets cause we have to suck one more year before we give up on Mark.,

Which part of my statement are you referring to? That might help.

McElroy has been a winner his entire career. He has yet to get a chance like Mark has, due to injury.

His arm? Watch the tape. He can throw the ball further. Maybe not Stafford level zip, but he can still throw. Its a fact that Mark doesn't go down field. I am sure McElroy can go at least that deep. Throwing to the check down isn't a difficult task for a quarterback. Mark has an act of throwing the ball to the other team. He is garbage. We lost games based off of Mark's amazingly bad play.

Do yourself a favor, don't act like you know everything.

Nevermind. Feel free to bet the house on McElroy. lol...

That was several years ago from when Sanchez did his combine. It was just funny to me and made me really want to kind of take the analysis there with some skepticism.

Oh, okay. Makes sense then. I just the Feb date at the top and thought it was written last month. But now I see that was just the combine dates. Definitely pre-draft analysis. lol

Archived